Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Azhais posted:

Talking deathclaws were the best and in my canon they're still running Vault 13

Hell yeah, Vault 13 deathclaw culture would be great. Maybe we'll see it in, Bethesda Presents, Fallout V!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
IMO the corniness is kind of necessary. Otherwise you end up with nothing but a seriously hosed up world with hosed up people. LISA is another example of this. If i weren't for the dark comedy and absurdity in that game it'd be 100% depressing. And Nihilism is in general a bad attitude to convey, not to mention boring to read.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nasgate posted:

IMO the corniness is kind of necessary. Otherwise you end up with nothing but a seriously hosed up world with hosed up people. LISA is another example of this. If i weren't for the dark comedy and absurdity in that game it'd be 100% depressing. And Nihilism is in general a bad attitude to convey, not to mention boring to read.

The nice thing about the corniness and wackiness is that it shows that the game isn't taking itself too seriously. The series is ridiculous and stupid. It knows that it's ridiculous and stupid. It never tries to hide it. It's based on 1950's retrofuturism that in retrospect looks completely insane.

...but that's why it works. It says "what if that really was the future?" then blows that future right the gently caress up and builds a world in the ashes. Instead of nuclear war scouring life from the Earth completely the radiation and FEV team up to make a world that makes absolutely no damned sense. Then we get stories about people surviving in that world.

It works specifically because it's so baffling and ridiculous.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
To me its weird that people point to talking deathclaws as being corny when they were played completely straight. You might think its inherently absurd but there's lots of weird poo poo in Fallout that is supposed to be serious. Talking deathclaws didn't seem out of place to me.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
personally when i met the friendly robots and giant green men that was fine but once i found a talking lizard that was when it went too far

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
And Honestly, The Last Voyage of the U.S.S. Constitution brings Fallout 4 from a 2/5 to a 3/5 all on its own.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i feel kinda bad for dunking on the talking deathclaws now. i liked them at the time as a kid, idk why they came to mind for corniness. i like a lot of the more whimsical stuff, like all the dumb comedy robots, but new reno was real bad. gangsters in fallout are just foreverially ruined for me. thats why i don't like the operators much.

old world blues was easily my favourite new vegas dlc, but i hated mothership zeta. idk where my line is. there's some stuff that just feels like shark jumps, but other funny stuff that feels completely in line with the setting. i think execution is a big factor.

i love running around with the jolly green giant who is on a hunt for the milk of human kindness, but when we run into guys with bolo ties welded onto their breastplates it makes me cringe.

3/5 feels a little harsh for fallout 4. i thought fallout 3 was a loooot worse in just about every way. the institute is a lil goofy, but nick valentine alone makes it worthwhile.

edit: i found a mod that lets you use the transdogrifier creation club thing to turn dogmeat into one of the gross feral dogs from the wasteland. i turned him into one cause i've always been sad you can't befriend those mangy mutts. they might look creepy, but they're dogs god damnit

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 11, 2018

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Everyone hated Mothership Zeta. Silver Shroud also gives Fallout 4 a star

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I liked the alien gun I got from Mothership Zeta, but the rest of it was hot garbage.

Silver Shroud (and the fact that there were a few other places outside of that mission where you could dialogue as The Shroud) is one of the best things about FO4. Courtenay Taylor is acting for the back row in those lines and it's fantastic!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i feel kinda bad for dunking on the talking deathclaws now. i liked them at the time as a kid, idk why they came to mind for corniness.

Kid you was correct, the talking Deathclaws were awesome. And it's not as if they just started talking randomly, there's a pretty good in story explanation for it: The Enclave used FEV to boost their intelligence in the hopes that this would make them more docile and easier to control. The experiment worked, but it worked a little bit too well: the Deathclaws became so intelligent that they developed a sense of self and morality and realized "Hey wait a minute! the Enclave is evil! We shouldn't be listening to these assholes!" So they ran off and started their own society (with blackjack and hookers) and it was actually pretty great, until they Enclave came back and slaughtered them all.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I found myself liking him too, to be honest. That's why I think he's a well-written sociopath. Video game monsters like that tend to be bloodthirsty madmen who choose the least moral option in every situation by default. If he went by video game sociopath logic he would have tried to fight the people that screwed him over and probably died in the process.

Real sociopaths generally act more or less like Gage. As much as he wanted revenge he realized it wouldn't happen so he just shrugged and left it at that. When he's talking to you before and after the Gauntlet he sounds like he just wants to help you out of this terrible situation you're in even though it's entirely his fault you're there in the first place. Then he uses you to get the heat off of him, get rid of Colter, and set himself up to be second in command to a badass raider lord with a mountain of caps. He's your pal as long as you're useful. Even then you're still a tool for his means and nothing else.

I kind of wonder if he was written that way on purpose or if it was purely accidental. Despite being a hideous monster he actually is pretty likable. The way he talks makes him sound almost safe to be around.

I 100% think it's intentional, it definitely feels like you're meant to like Porter. There's no shortage of cartoonishly evil rear end in a top hat characters in Fallout 4 (case in point: every other raider in Nukaworld), and Porter could have easily been one of them. Instead, the developers made him a much more laid back and humanized. He feels more like a real person, because in real life evil people aren't evil all the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5woGZEGPmaA

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 11, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Asimov posted:

Hell yeah, Vault 13 deathclaw culture would be great. Maybe we'll see it in, Bethesda Presents, Fallout V!

You're implying Fallout V won't be set on the East Coast in a city that's mysteriously copying its entire culture from Pre-War America as a commentary on not doing that.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
If i'm correct the "talking" deathclaws were more like parrot kind of speech,not necessarily talking like a verbose shakespearean actor.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

One of them was some kind of researcher/scientist and could join as a companion.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

If i'm correct the "talking" deathclaws were more like parrot kind of speech,not necessarily talking like a verbose shakespearean actor.

That was the mechanism they used to speak, but individual intelligence ranged from "human five year old" to "basically a human adult," so they do know what they're saying and can hold a conversation.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It works specifically because it's so baffling and ridiculous.

Agreed. Tbqh, I don't even think the Black Isle guys were intentionally going for the pulp feel, but Fallout is memorable exactly for having that instead of regurgitating Wasteland/Mad Max in a different game system. IMHO, Bethesda doesn't quite get that, for reasons like writerchat earlier on, and they should try the New Vegas formula again. I am not a big fan of Obsidian, but they were completely and utterly shafted during New Vegas' release and were only vindicated as it kept staying power as years went by.

A completely utterly fantastic (and with a chance very close to zero to happen) thing would be Bethesda getting the VtM: Bloodlines guys to do a Fallout standalone (since I doubt Obsidian would come back for another go). No other game as far as I can recall has that pulp feel going on that works so ridiculously well to handle "mature" themes.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
IMO bizarre/humorous is fine, but if you lean too far into that then you end up with the player just not caring/being engaged because of how irreverant the game is to itself.

FO2 had a lot of comedy and references, lots of it was contained to single-cell encounters after a player is finished with a city, but there were some pretty dumb things that cant be avoided while trying to approach the main story seriously. It's why a lot of Enclave stuff falls flat for me in NV and FO3, because a ridiculous amount of their writing just acts as delivery systems for zingers.

It would be cool if we had a way to gauge how many players went the TES murderhobo route in 3, NV, and 4.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Keeshhound posted:

That was the mechanism they used to speak, but individual intelligence ranged from "human five year old" to "basically a human adult," so they do know what they're saying and can hold a conversation.

Oh yeah absolutely,i just always liked imagining this hulking great beast sort of honking and whistling words out.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It's weird because I remember when Fallout 1 first came out and I really didn't pick up on the whole 50s thing THAT much. It's so over the top now, just awful.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the fallout 1 intro video lays the 50s aesthetic on thick, and it's cool as hell

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

It's just... Different. I don't know, am I crazy here? Every loving thing now is Leave It to Beaver.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

hawowanlawow posted:

the fallout 1 intro video lays the 50s aesthetic on thick, and it's cool as hell

Only as a contrast to the devestation of the wasteland. The actual games weren't particularly retrofuturist, aside from the design of the vaults.

Bethesda just siezed on "The 50's!" along with the other aspects of the games' setting that they aped (poorly) for 3. Stuff like caps, radscorpions, jet and the enclave all have no real business on the east coast, but the design team had vague recollections of them being in fallout 1 & 2, so in they went.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hell, they even changed the caps thing between 1 and 2. There's a quest in Broken Hills joking about finding a huge stash of now worthless bottlecaps

grobbo
May 29, 2014

dead comedy forums posted:

A completely utterly fantastic (and with a chance very close to zero to happen) thing would be Bethesda getting the VtM: Bloodlines guys to do a Fallout standalone

...I've got bad news.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Azhais posted:

Hell, they even changed the caps thing between 1 and 2. There's a quest in Broken Hills joking about finding a huge stash of now worthless bottlecaps

Thankfully New Vegas was nice enough to give a decent justification for why caps are still in circulation.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

grobbo posted:

...I've got bad news.

lol

quote:

In 2004, Troika tried to find a publisher for an unnamed post-apocalyptic role-playing video game, but were unsuccessful, leading to rumors in January 2005 that the company had already shut down.[10] Screenshots of the unnamed game were posted in 2004 to the Fallout fan sites "No Mutants Allowed" and "Duck and Cover". A video of the tech demo was released in early 2005, weeks before closing.[11] Tim Cain later confirmed that this was supposed to be a sequel to Fallout: "Leonard pursued Fallout 3, which ultimately went to Bethesda, who outbid us."[12]

I've never actually played VtM. I think it's been brought up before either here or the NV thread, but is it worth getting now or is it too much an unplayable mess? I've heard it's had lots of bugs but I'm wondering if there are patches or mods that might fix some of that.

Garrand fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 11, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
There is a huge fan patch that fixes all the bugs, but it can't fix the second half of the game being bad :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If you're looking for a giant fan patch that ends up having a fallout but not fallout appeal, might I suggest "Wasteland 2"

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Garrand posted:

I've never actually played VtM. I think it's been brought up before either here or the NV thread, but is it worth getting now or is it too much an unplayable mess? I've heard it's had lots of bugs but I'm wondering if there are patches or mods that might fix some of that.

It's one of the best RPGs ever made, as long as you're not turned off by janky combat (which you're probably not if you're posting in the Fallout thread).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Garrand posted:

lol

I've heard VtM is pretty fantastic and holds up surprisingly well, but there's a chance you won't actually be able to get it to run on your computer (I know I sure wasn't). It has a great story, fantastic world building, memorable characters, but piss poor programming.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've heard VtM is pretty fantastic and holds up surprisingly well, but there's a chance you won't actually be able to get it to run on your computer (I know I sure wasn't). It has a great story, fantastic world building, memorable characters, but piss poor programming.

Wasn't it literally unfinished when they were forced to release it?

I remember being on the old White Wolf website in the late 90s and seeing them talking about a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game that ended up never coming out.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
My understanding was actually that they went "Okay, we're done" about a month before their contract-mandated earliest release date and spent that time making the v1.1 patch.

"Literally unfinished" is a bit strong, but the last quest hub and the ending sequence are a bit ... sparse.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I loved the ending of V:tM. Or at least the one I got. I definitely got a "bad" ending but it was so thematically appropriate that I couldn't be mad.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I've heard VtM is pretty fantastic and holds up surprisingly well, but there's a chance you won't actually be able to get it to run on your computer (I know I sure wasn't).

There are fan patches out now that fix most of the stability issues.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Good to know, everybody I've ever heard talk about it seemed to rave about it so I'll add it to my "when I have both time and money" list of games to play.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Randaconda posted:

Wasn't it literally unfinished when they were forced to release it?

I remember being on the old White Wolf website in the late 90s and seeing them talking about a Werewolf: The Apocalypse game that ended up never coming out.

Troika were pretty good writers but.....they just weren't very good coders. Even if you excuse stuff with a lack of dev time, there's a lot of issues that are just Morrowind levels of bad programming. Most notorious being that it prioritizes the game over all your peripherals.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Vampire bloodlines is very atmospheric,lots of great voice acting,the graphics as far i'm concerned are still great,and it's just a very enjoyable game,but yeah like people have said it's very buggy and the ending levels are absolute tosh.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

Troika were pretty good writers but.....they just weren't very good coders. Even if you excuse stuff with a lack of dev time, there's a lot of issues that are just Morrowind levels of bad programming. Most notorious being that it prioritizes the game over all your peripherals.

Hahaha I forgot about this! Didn't it make the mouse super laggy? Good times.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Vtm:B will absolutely run on modern computers. Download a fan patch, it's easy to find, and you'll have few to no bugs. I recommend it highly.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

antidote posted:

It's weird because I remember when Fallout 1 first came out and I really didn't pick up on the whole 50s thing THAT much. It's so over the top now, just awful.

Never understood this complaint. The retro future aesthetic was more of a backdrop in Fallout 1/2 but that didn't make them better. This kind of stuff makes Fallout feel more unique rather than being just another Mad Max wasteland. There's a reason Bethesda decided to lean on that stuff even harder in the new games; because its what most people actually liked and remembered about Fallout.

I mean if you cut the retrofuturistic stuff out of Fallout there really isn't much unique or interesting about the setting. Its just another post apocalyptic game but with ridiculous mutants.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

grobbo posted:

...I've got bad news.

:smith:

I had no idea...