Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Turns out U/R Gifts Storm is hard to play in actual matches! I learned a lot about what hands are actually viable, and that I need to be much more aggressive about mulliganing hands that aren't easily leading to a T4 combo.

I've also learned a bunch of additional gifting patterns in order to be more successful in shaping my hand. Hoping to not be unbelievably bad next week, but I suspect it's going to take a bit more practice before I'm remotely competent. It's a lot more fun than my old MTGO pyromancer's ascenion storm deck from a few years back, though being able to draw most of my deck through probes and ponders was a lot of fun.

Turns out Modern is way complicated, but super interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
I just bought into Gx tron and then remembered afterwards that they are printing that sideboard hate card in the next set. Hopefully it doesn't change much. :downsgun:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

CompeAnansi posted:

I just bought into Gx tron and then remembered afterwards that they are printing that sideboard hate card in the next set. Hopefully it doesn't change much. :downsgun:

Just bring more Nature's Claims and laugh all the way to the T3 Karn bank

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I suspect they will hold reserve list reprints as a “break glass in case of emergency” type maneuver in the event interest in the game and sales take a nosedive at some point in the future.

Definitely possible, but I think if they get to that point the game is probably hosed anyway, and obvious desperation moves won't reverse course for long. I think putting effort into maintaining healthy eternal formats is much better for game longevity, since it allows players to drop in and out of the game over time, and maintain a connection/interest to the game even when they don't enjoy or can't afford Standard. I think you also minimize whatever hypothetical issues breaking the reserved list pledge would create if you're doing it at a time when the game enjoys a position of relative strength, rather than when it would signal weakness and internal loss of faith in the game's long-term prospects.

But clearly the people running the show don't agree.

LGD fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 11, 2018

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

CompeAnansi posted:

Tron will be fine. It's good at consistently hitting land drops and it's hard for opponents to take a turn off like that while still applying enough pressure to win before Oblivion Stone blows them out. People already run Thought-Knot Seer and Thragtusk in their sideboard to punish opponents who can take them off tron.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CompeAnansi posted:

Blood Moon couldn’t stop the Tron and this is a turn faster Blood Moon that doesn’t actually stop them from producing colourless mana. It’ll hurt but it’s not unbeatable.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

LGD posted:

Definitely possible, but I think if they get to that point the game is probably hosed anyway, and obvious desperation moves won't reverse course for long. I think putting effort into maintaining healthy eternal formats is much better for game longevity, since it allows players to drop in and out of the game over time, and maintain a connection/interest to the game even when they don't enjoy or can't afford Standard. I think you also minimize whatever hypothetical issues breaking the reserved list pledge would create if you're doing it at a time when the game enjoys a position of relative strength, rather than when it would signal weakness and internal loss of faith in the game's long-term prospects.

Well maybe they would do it short of a last ditch effort to save the game, for all the reasons you stated. But as long as people are entering legacy events and new products are selling well, I’d at least expect them to take the attitude that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

But as long as people are entering legacy events

They very much do not care about this.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

They very much do not care about this.

On the other hand, if Legacy events do drop in attendance significantly, they'll drop the format like a hot potato.

planedriver
Jun 2, 2013
Looking to register something like this for GP Sydney (Unified Modern). Sort of optimised to have better game against Tron game 1 as I am expecting a lot of it in the middle seat. No conflict with my Affinity and BR Hollow One team mates.

I tried running 2 JTMS in the main for the past month but haven't been impressed unless it's against control which I doubt most teams will run mid.

Notes:
- Looking to beat BR hollow one, Affinity, Humans, all variations of tron and eldrazi, infect, jund
- Hoping to dodge control, lantern, burn
- Tireless Trackers have been too slow in the matchups above, except Jund, so I've cut them completely. Might fit one or two in the sideboard.
- 2 Geist main because I wanted a 3 drop that's decent against Tron (Originally in the SB)
- I have gotten to use Sejiri Steppe exactly twice in the past few weeks so I've cut it for another Ghost Quarter. Field of Ruin I assume is too slow.

Questions:
- Should I try to fit another Qasali Pridemage somewhere? Maybe replacing Path?
- Would it be too greedy to run Kessig alongside VClique? VClique has been a house against all my matchups
and will definitely stay as a 2-of. It also might require a replacement for Stomping Ground.

Deck: Knightfall

//Lands
2 Breeding Pool
1 Flooded Strand
3 Forest
1 Gavony Township
2 Ghost Quarter
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Horizon Canopy
1 Island
4 Misty Rainforest
1 Plains
1 Temple Garden
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
4 Collected Company
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
3 Path to Exile
2 Retreat to Coralhelm

//Creatures
4 Birds of Paradise
2 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Knight of the Reliquary
4 Noble Hierarch
1 Qasali Pridemage
2 Reflector Mage
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Spell Queller
2 Vendilion Clique
3 Voice of Resurgence

//Sideboard
2 Blessed Alliance
1 Bojuka Bog
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
2 Negate
1 Path to Exile
1 Settle the Wreckage
3 Stony Silence
2 Unified Will
1 Worship
1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

Display deck statistics

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
--Worship seems like a better maindeck singleton than Gideon in this deck, at least from what I've seen on streams. Some of the decks that you're worried about have almost no way of dealing with a Worship game 1.
--I think a singleton Pridemage maindeck is how a lot of these decks are rolling these days, but I would definitely try to fit another one or some Rec Sages in your sideboard (but don't cut Paths for them).
--Field of Ruin does look kind of slow but I've seen a lot of different archetypes moving towards Fields over Quarters, that might be worth a second look.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

--Worship seems like a better maindeck singleton than Gideon in this deck, at least from what I've seen on streams. Some of the decks that you're worried about have almost no way of dealing with a Worship game 1.
--I think a singleton Pridemage maindeck is how a lot of these decks are rolling these days, but I would definitely try to fit another one or some Rec Sages in your sideboard (but don't cut Paths for them).
--Field of Ruin does look kind of slow but I've seen a lot of different archetypes moving towards Fields over Quarters, that might be worth a second look.

Field of Ruin isn’t as good as Quarter in this deck because you want to be able to pop it with Knight almost every time.

I’m looking at your list and I’m wondering what the Geists are for, they’re phenomenal against Tron but stone dead to the top 3 matchups you listed and I don’t think it matches up well against Jund. I think you’re better off boarding at least one for Path.

I think 3 Stony Silence is too many especially without Jace to shuffle back extras.

If you want to run the Kessig package I think you could shave your 9th fetch and either the second Quarter or a forest and run it reasonably comfortably.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 12, 2018

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Any Tips and Tricks for someone playing Living End for the first time tonight? Seems like a pretty standard build, but my buddy put 4 of the White Leyline in the SB for some reason.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

fadam posted:

Any Tips and Tricks for someone playing Living End for the first time tonight? Seems like a pretty standard build, but my buddy put 4 of the White Leyline in the SB for some reason.

Cycle cards, cast a cascade spell. Repeat if necessary. Remember that Violent Outburst is an instant and Beast Within can give you a target for Demonic Dread.

You can't ever beat burn without Leylines.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Play As Foretold Living End.

It is the superior brew. :colbert:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Alright. I want to visit the old Boom//Bust decks now that Jace and Bloodbraid are unbanned. The big question is what direction to go in. Naya or Jeskai. With the understanding that Green/Blue would be the splash color and that the mana based would have the following:
4 Flagstones of Trokair
2 - 3 Darksteel Citadel
8+ fetches of proper types

What would be the more reliable route to go? Jace doesn't need anything else to close out the came, and BBE can't cascade into Boom anymore. But the best parts of blue require it to be the primary color (e.g.; Cryptic, 1 mana cantrips; early counterspells, Collanade). Same issue with green mana dorks, but Tireless Tracker would be baller as a value engine.

Or would it be better to go Boros and just lean on Chandra, Torch and/or Nahiri + Emmi to finish the game?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Spirit Guides and Crack the Earth imo.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

LGD posted:

Sure they do, it's most likely why Modern was created.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Has anyone played Elves in Modern? Considering it Top 8'd at the past GP and I watched Reid Duke play a Vizier version recently, I was considering putting it together as it looks fun as hell, but need the Caverns and some of the dual lands.

What match ups are it bad for it? It seems like either Ugin or other combo decks could be real bad for it, but would otherwise be even or good against a lot of the other popular decks. I may be reading it wrong though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

You can't beat a combo deck with a reasonable draw. Tron is probably a nightmare game 1 but if you have Selfless Spirit you might have a chance post-board. Burn and affinity both seem bad. Also any decks that can present a similar clock but with flyers. I only lost my match against elves as Bant Spirits because she skillfully sided in Choke against a deck with almost no islands and I was skilled enough to have drawn 3 of my 4 islands AND miss my 5th land.

Tl;dr ban 8th and 9th edition. Also you're good against fair decks.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Yoked posted:

Has anyone played Elves in Modern? Considering it Top 8'd at the past GP and I watched Reid Duke play a Vizier version recently, I was considering putting it together as it looks fun as hell, but need the Caverns and some of the dual lands.

What match ups are it bad for it? It seems like either Ugin or other combo decks could be real bad for it, but would otherwise be even or good against a lot of the other popular decks. I may be reading it wrong though.

Affinity will usually out-goldfish you game one, and both sides have comparable sideboard bombs against each other (stony silence for elves vs. ghirapur aether grid and grafdigger's cage for affinity). You have a very limited ability to play around any kind of sweepers. Other combo decks are either a bit faster (storm, grishoalbrand) or can time walk you to death (ad nauseam, U-based scapeshift).

Baldrash
Oct 26, 2005
Anyone wanna help a person decide on a Legacy deck?

I’m looking at selling out of a bunch of my EDH stuff so I can build a deck for local events with a pretty diverse meta. I’ve been borrowing Food Chain for the last couple of months and having a good time with it, but I can’t decide on what to build for myself.

My collection currently puts me closest to Maverick or Death & Taxes. I was also thinking of maybe U/W Stoneblade or Miracles since I could port Jaces and Snapcasters into Modern control lists. Besides, is it really Legacy if you aren’t casting Brainstorm and Force of Will? Alternately, I could try to find a good deal on duals and get towards my own build of Food Chain since I’ve got some reps with it and I like the play patterns I’ve experienced. It’s all a bit overwhelming and given the price of a deck, I don’t want to build something I end up disliking.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Do you want to win or do you just want to play legacy? If you just want to play, Death and Taxes is just barely above unplayable and is the cheapest deck that's not super linear. Maverick is like Death and Taxes except in addition to not being able to beat midrange and having a hard time against control, you also can't beat combo. Stoneblade I don't think has been good ever, or at least in 5+ years. Miracles is fine but it still seems really bad to me. I hate the idea of relying on Search for Azcanta. Like if you're getting to a point where Search for Azcanta is good as a control deck, you've probably already won the game. I will say that once you've stabilized, Search for Azcanta makes it almost impossible for your opponent to claw back into the game. If you're playing Deathrite and not playing Delver or Jace, you're making a mistake. Also if you're not playing Deathrite you're making a mistake.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

suicidesteve posted:

Do you want to win or do you just want to play legacy? If you just want to play, Death and Taxes is just barely above unplayable and is the cheapest deck that's not super linear. Maverick is like Death and Taxes except in addition to not being able to beat midrange and having a hard time against control, you also can't beat combo. Stoneblade I don't think has been good ever, or at least in 5+ years. Miracles is fine but it still seems really bad to me. I hate the idea of relying on Search for Azcanta. Like if you're getting to a point where Search for Azcanta is good as a control deck, you've probably already won the game. I will say that once you've stabilized, Search for Azcanta makes it almost impossible for your opponent to claw back into the game. If you're playing Deathrite and not playing Delver or Jace, you're making a mistake. Also if you're not playing Deathrite you're making a mistake.

Stoneblade was fine right after TNN was printed and people somehow couldn't figure out how to deal with it, though that's riding right up on the 5 year mark at this point. There was also a minor resurgence during cruise/dig meta, but both of these were more favorable to UWR delver and Deathblade than to Stoneblade.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 18, 2018

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

suicidesteve posted:

Also if you're not playing Deathrite you're making a mistake.

Lands would like a word with you.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Merely owning a Tabernacle instead of turning it into cash money probably qualifies as some sort of mistake.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Merely owning a Tabernacle instead of turning it into cash money probably qualifies as some sort of mistake.

I like my autographed one so much I just ordered the Tabernacle playmat off Etsy to match it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

kirtar posted:

Stoneblade was fine right after TNN was printed and people somehow couldn't figure out how to deal with it, though that's riding right up on the 5 year mark at this point. There was also a minor resurgence during cruise/dig meta, but both of these were more favorable to UWR delver and Deathblade than to Stoneblade.

Those times you're talking about were the same time. I didn't feel like mentioning every time Stoneblade actually was good for 3 days, not that I think it was a good deck back then. And UWR Delver was never a good deck. UR Delver was the deck when Cruise was legal and Omnitell after that.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

suicidesteve posted:

Those times you're talking about were the same time. I didn't feel like mentioning every time Stoneblade actually was good for 3 days, not that I think it was a good deck back then. And UWR Delver was never a good deck. UR Delver was the deck when Cruise was legal and Omnitell after that.

They were offset by nearly a year since it was Commander 2013 and Khans of Tarkir.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Play B/W Bomberman.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

You can't beat a combo deck with a reasonable draw. Tron is probably a nightmare game 1 but if you have Selfless Spirit you might have a chance post-board. Burn and affinity both seem bad. Also any decks that can present a similar clock but with flyers. I only lost my match against elves as Bant Spirits because she skillfully sided in Choke against a deck with almost no islands and I was skilled enough to have drawn 3 of my 4 islands AND miss my 5th land.

Tl;dr ban 8th and 9th edition. Also you're good against fair decks.

Steve how is your :ghost: list doing these days? I only need one more Geist of St. Traft at minimum to finish the deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Steve how is your :ghost: list doing these days? I only need one more Geist of St. Traft at minimum to finish the deck.

I don't know, I don't play this bad game. I just complain about how bad it is. I'm sure if I liked it they would just ban something to completely kill yet another deck that I like.

The missing card in the sideboard was a Jace. Jace is trash in modern. Don't play Jace. I think I have 3 mana Nissa in there right now just to try whenever I go play modern again (probably never.)

Edit: Nope, Shapers' Sanctuary. Which is also probably bad and should just be the 2nd War Monk or something.

kirtar posted:

They were offset by nearly a year since it was Commander 2013 and Khans of Tarkir.

Huh. I vividly remember people whining about Containment Priest ruining GP New Jersey because it made Sneak and Show bad, like somehow Sneak and Show being bad was a bad thing.

After doing 5 seconds of research, I've figured out the problem.

Apparently Containment Priest was not in the same set as Trash-Name. Who knew? :iiam:

I really should have known that though. I lost to triplex True-Names at one of the GPTs for Jersey.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 18, 2018

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I've also been considering Maverick for a while and this tournament report made me think that if you know the format well enough then it's not that bad of a deck choice.

https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/8by6px/legacy_tournament_report_top_8_at_gp_seattle_with/

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

deck is still fine. Although I went to 21 land because I'm daring and bad.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

CompeAnansi posted:

if anything is going to hurt tron, I think it's the rise of GR Stone Rain as a common strategy. The matchup is not unwinnable by a long shot, but having played it from the Ponza side a bunch lately, hoo boy is this a better Tron matchup than I've ever had, even moreso against Gx than against Eldrazi.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Just stopping by to say "lmao" at the Tabernacle buyout.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Baldrash posted:

Anyone wanna help a person decide on a Legacy deck?

I’m looking at selling out of a bunch of my EDH stuff so I can build a deck for local events with a pretty diverse meta. I’ve been borrowing Food Chain for the last couple of months and having a good time with it, but I can’t decide on what to build for myself.

My collection currently puts me closest to Maverick or Death & Taxes. I was also thinking of maybe U/W Stoneblade or Miracles since I could port Jaces and Snapcasters into Modern control lists. Besides, is it really Legacy if you aren’t casting Brainstorm and Force of Will? Alternately, I could try to find a good deal on duals and get towards my own build of Food Chain since I’ve got some reps with it and I like the play patterns I’ve experienced. It’s all a bit overwhelming and given the price of a deck, I don’t want to build something I end up disliking.

blue control is not very good or particularly fun in modern. i think you should play food chain because you get to play with force of will, brainstorm, and deathrite shaman, which are all cards you should ahve in your legacy deck if your intention is to win matches of magic: the gathering in the legacy format. as a testament to the power fo those cards, I, a person that once killed themselves with a brainstorm while having a laboratory maniac on the field against my opponent's humility, have won many matches of magic: the gathering because of those cards

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

blue control is not very good or particularly fun in modern.

Rest of your post is whatever but this is purely opinion and I think UW control in modern is actually super fun. I have played it off and on for a good while and it is fun if you don't mind going to time every round. Has a lovely matchup against hollow one though. You can win with almost anything in modern, really.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Fingers McLongDong posted:

this is purely opinion

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I think UW control in modern is actually super fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

perhaps the truth........ is somewhere in the middle??