Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Pumped storage has been discussed here before, Robert Llewellyn has done a very interesting video on a plant in Wales:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McByJeX2evM

Interesting fact: 75% total efficiency. Not bad!
This is great, thanks for linking. Didn't know we had anything like that in the UK. Of course it was built when we were actually investing in our energy infrastructure in a vaguely sensible and forward-thinking way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
With this talk about cars going away, I just want a Mini Cooper except as an EV.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Roadie posted:

With this talk about cars going away, I just want a Mini Cooper except as an EV.

You're in luck. https://www.mini.co.uk/en_GB/home/range/electric.html

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Do it yourself IMO (this conversion is almost a decade old which is why he's using lovely lead acid batteries and has trash range)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9BL0qtt8Gs

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 9, 2018

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
So despite the critic's claims of insolvency (any day now), quality issues, and missed production deadlines; the Tesla Model 3 is the best selling EV in the North American market.

I would rather not be able to make enough of a product to fill demand than have an overabundance of supply and manufacturing ability but little to no demand.

Funny to see how this ended up.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-03/tesla-s-model-3-is-the-best-selling-electric-car-in-the-u-s

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/tesla-model-3-best-selling-electric-car/

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/cars/944036/Tesla-Model-3-2018-electric-car-best-selling-car-production

Also lol at the poster claiming Bloomberg wasn't credible. drat, goons are reticent to admit their predictions are completely wrong, better move the goalposts again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Well, we were right about Tesla fans The Sicilian becoming the insufferable twats that BMW guys used to be

Agronox fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 11, 2018

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

The Sicilian posted:

So despite the critic's claims of insolvency (any day now), quality issues, and missed production deadlines; the Tesla Model 3 is the best selling EV in the North American market.

Can't all of those things be true at the same time?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Agronox posted:

Well, we were right about Tesla fans becoming the insufferable twats that BMW guys used to be

It's just The Sicilian. Every one of his posts is unbearable.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I for one am shocked that a new model car is outselling a Chevy that beat it to market and has been outselling it for the last 16 months or so.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Agronox posted:

Well, we were right about Tesla fans becoming the insufferable twats that BMW guys used to be

:( I'm sorry. I try not to be.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

If we were to trade The Sicilian and Three Olives in for something new, what would we get?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Goober Peas posted:

If we were to trade The Sicilian and Three Olives in for something new, what would we get?

vwvortex

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

:( I'm sorry. I try not to be.

No, I apologize and retract that statement. It wasn’t fair of me to say.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sanchez posted:

Can't all of those things be true at the same time?

Certainly so. Missed deadlines is a simple matter of established fact, and it would take real suspension of disbelief to deny the quality issues so far.

Also you still can’t reorder media favorites in the Model S UI. What are these clowns even doing?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

bawfuls

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853783&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
I can taste the salt from here.

I see those goalposts are shifting nicely.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Now Tesla is planning on starting production of the AWD model 3 in July:

https://electrek.co/2018/04/08/tesla-model-3-dual-motor-planned-july-elon-musk/

They must be pretty confident in their progress with Model 3 production if they're comfortable introducing a new version.

The Sicilian posted:

I would rather not be able to make enough of a product to fill demand than have an overabundance of supply and manufacturing ability but little to no demand.

Funny to see how this ended up.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-03/tesla-s-model-3-is-the-best-selling-electric-car-in-the-u-s

In that Bloomberg article, I noticed that even the crazy expensive S and X are outselling everything else except the Prius Prime. Why is that, I wonder? Is it simply name recognition? Or possibly the lack of high-speed charging infrastructure apart from the Superchargers?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cockmaster posted:

In that Bloomberg article, I noticed that even the crazy expensive S and X are outselling everything else except the Prius Prime. Why is that, I wonder? Is it simply name recognition? Or possibly the lack of high-speed charging infrastructure apart from the Superchargers?

Mostly it's rich people who can afford to buy new cars in 2018.

In 2016 the Model S was the number one selling car (not just EV) in the town next to mine in California.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Cockmaster posted:

Or possibly the lack of high-speed charging infrastructure apart from the Superchargers?

I could see a portion of it being this.

Unrelated because I know pre-owned sales are excluded from that number, but if I could get a used model s for the price of a new bolt or i3, I'd take the s for exactly that reason.

What entity is going to provide a coast-to-coast CCS charging network?

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 11, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Goober Peas posted:

I vote for a pepperoni pizza.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

The closest thing I've seen is Porsche planning to install high-power chargers at its dealerships:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/02/porsche-plans-for-mission-e-electric-car-will-build-fast-charger-network/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

“Porsche dealership” is a fair way down on my list of things I’ll find when crossing the Midwest.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

RZA Encryption posted:

Does it really matter? Power generators probably should, NRG has a nice start going, they just need to stop with these loving idiotic billing systems where I need an app, a key tag and a card to charge at the 3 charging networks most accessible to me, even the free ones.

Cockmaster posted:

In that Bloomberg article, I noticed that even the crazy expensive S and X are outselling everything else except the Prius Prime.

They are well known as luxury cars coupled with the fact that you can actually buy one?

It's time to trade in your A6/E/5 and you've been thinking about buying an electric car, what exactly are your other options? The Leaf and Bolt are glorified econoboxes, the i3 is a city car and there is Tesla. We will see what happens when a luxury car company starts delivery of full size mid-level luxury cars.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 12, 2018

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Cockmaster posted:

Now Tesla is planning on starting production of the AWD model 3 in July:

https://electrek.co/2018/04/08/tesla-model-3-dual-motor-planned-july-elon-musk/

They must be pretty confident in their progress with Model 3 production if they're comfortable introducing a new version.

It’s a good EV, looks cool, has brand cachet/hype and saves money (fuel) and time (HOV lane).

It may not be the “Best Luxury Performance,” sedan or crossover the world has seen but it appears to be good enough.

I hope everyone here who is taking the piss on Tesla at least has their shares shorted, outside of owning a car or some of their stock y’all care too much for something that has nothing to do with you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Sicilian posted:

y’all care too much for something that has nothing to do with you.

lol get the gently caress out of here

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Does it really matter? Power generators probably should, NRG has a nice start going, they just need to stop with these loving idiotic billing systems where I need an app, a key tag and a card to charge at the 3 charging networks most accessible to me, even the free ones.

Well sure it matters. For the reason you mentioned and more, blink and charge point are not going to take public charging to the masses. Things have to get way friendlier for EVs to escape the enthusist market and supplant gas cars. If fast charging isn't maintained by a single organization, they'll need to cooperate.

They need to consolidate payment methods to a single app or take credit cards directly. It would be insane if Shell one day said "you gotta get a shell card if you want to fuel up here". Forget that. Plugging in your car should either just work and bill you or send you a push notification asking you to confirm.

They need to have a common standard for reporting charger status information. Imagine if you had to reference a fuel equivalent of plugshare to read recent reviews to try and figure out if the diesel pump was working. Integrated gps or even google maps should be able to tell you the number of open, working plugs or the average wait time.

Charger power delivery measurements will have to start being stated in a friendlier manner as well. 120kW isn't going to mean much to people, and miles added per minute varies by car and driving habits. Maybe the car's infotainment system does the translation based on your energy history and can tell you miles added per minute.

I think these are requirements for ev proliferation, but I'm not sure there is an existing entity willing to do it.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Internet Explorer posted:

lol get the gently caress out of here

Did Tesla hurt you? Show me where Elon touched you.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Sicilian posted:

Did Tesla hurt you? Show me where Elon touched you.
He'd try, but all the sucking sounds from the Supercharger pushed down your gullet would get in the way. :a2m:

I drove down to Irvine and then SD about a month ago and happened to see a truck hauling like 8 Model 3s. Since then Ive seen about 5 on the road. Its kind of neat, like seeing the Model S for the first few times.
Tesla has a pretty good head start on the luxury EV market, so it'll be interesting to see if they can keep their Apple-like mindshare.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Subjunctive posted:

Certainly so. Missed deadlines is a simple matter of established fact, and it would take real suspension of disbelief to deny the quality issues so far.

Also you still can’t reorder media favorites in the Model S UI. What are these clowns even doing?

Hilariously, the 'best selling EV in the US' has a total production run so far of ~15k, so I assume that must be counting pre-orders.

Puts them solidly in Delorean Motor Company range for uptake!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 12, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Sicilian posted:

care too much for something that has nothing to do with you.

If the internet had a tagline, this would be it.

RZA Encryption posted:

120kW isn't going to mean much to people

Billing and proliferation needs to get sorted out, but this is no problem. Even car people don't understand octane ratings, yet you just have to learn that one number is right for your car and the other number is wrong, and you can fill gas just fine. Perhaps add some industry standard color coding so you know AC from DC.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

The Sicilian posted:

It’s a good EV, looks cool, has brand cachet/hype and saves money (fuel) and time (HOV lane).

It may not be the “Best Luxury Performance,” sedan or crossover the world has seen but it appears to be good enough.

I am watching the i-Pace launch with great interest for this reason

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I am watching the i-Pace launch with great interest for this reason

Yeah, it pains me to think this but I can’t help but wonder if Tesla made a mistake not releasing a small SUV first. American vehicle tastes are the worst and AI members are all going to be fighting over the last hundred small sedans in the US in 10 years, like how it’s hard to find honest-to-god wagons now. :(

Then again, maybe they’re counting on an economic collapse of the American economy after we default on our debt from the heinous tax cuts and our apparent new endless war in Syria coming up, so they’re just aiming for the new kings of the world, China. :v:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Ripoff posted:

Yeah, it pains me to think this but I can’t help but wonder if Tesla made a mistake not releasing a small SUV first. American vehicle tastes are the worst and AI members are all going to be fighting over the last hundred small sedans in the US in 10 years, like how it’s hard to find honest-to-god wagons now. :(

The thought has occurred to me as well, I know at least two people who are interested in a notional Model Y SUV based on the Model 3, but won’t consider a 3 “BECAUSE I HAVE A DOG/KID/BICYCLE.”

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Ripoff posted:

Then again, maybe they’re counting on an economic collapse of the American economy after we default on our debt from the heinous tax cuts and our apparent new endless war in Syria coming up, so they’re just aiming for the new kings of the world, China. :v:

They have more than enough demand for the Model 3 to sell everything they can make until the Model Y comes out. Which it seems is currently scheduled for next November:

https://electrek.co/2018/04/11/tesla-reportedly-targets-november-2019-model-y-production/

Plus, this way they'll at least get some practice with high-volume production so that maybe the release of the Model Y can go a bot more smoothly.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ola posted:

If the internet had a tagline, this would be it.

Billing and proliferation needs to get sorted out, but this is no problem. Even car people don't understand octane ratings, yet you just have to learn that one number is right for your car and the other number is wrong, and you can fill gas just fine. Perhaps add some industry standard color coding so you know AC from DC.

It's not about which number is right for your car, it's making the connection between those numbers and "how long am I going to have to sit here based on the range I need to acquire". Maybe people will learn to estimate once they have a lot of experience charging, but this one isn't hard to solve (provided chargers present this data to cars).

With gas, you choose which station to stop at based on if they have your fuel flavor (gas/diesel) and price. With charging it's going to be price, average wait time before charging, and speed of charge.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What more data would the chargers present to cars? The car already knows how much power it’s getting, and what its battery state is.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

When I explain charging my car to people, I always put it in terms of how many miles of range I'm getting per hour of charging. Everyone seems to understand that. That's not really something the charging station can know though, that's more on the car to present.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, and it’s also pretty variable, especially with high speed chargers.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

RZA Encryption posted:

It's not about which number is right for your car, it's making the connection between those numbers and "how long am I going to have to sit here based on the range I need to acquire".

The bigger the number, the shorter the stay. How hard is that? Charge from the one that says DC and has a big plug when you're on the move, charge from the small one if you're sitting for a couple of hours. Once you get experience, you can see that you charge slower when the battery is cold, or the state of charge is high, which is exactly how your mobile phone has been working all these years. And you never do any watt-hour math while charging your phone, you just plug it in for a while, wait and then move on when the %-number seems high enough. Annoyances over uncertain waiting time goes away after two long trips. And after some bad queuing experiences, you learn to appreciate slower destination chargers.

By the way, Tesla does tell you miles added per minute (e: hour, to be precise), but based on a static consumption number, which isn't half bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ola posted:

The bigger the number, the shorter the stay. How hard is that? Charge from the one that says DC and has a big plug when you're on the move, charge from the small one if you're sitting for a couple of hours. Once you get experience, you can see that you charge slower when the battery is cold, or the state of charge is high, which is exactly how your mobile phone has been working all these years. And you never do any watt-hour math while charging your phone, you just plug it in for a while, wait and then move on when the %-number seems high enough. Annoyances over uncertain waiting time goes away after two long trips. And after some bad queuing experiences, you learn to appreciate slower destination chargers.

By the way, Tesla does tell you miles added per minute (e: hour, to be precise), but based on a static consumption number, which isn't half bad.

I'm certainly not saying people can't figure it out, I'm just saying ideally the charging stations and the car would interoperate so the "miles added per hour" figure could be presented. I'm talking about an ideal state that currently only works in the case the car manufacturer provides the charging infrastructure. Going from 5 minutes at the pump to 45 minutes or more at the charger is going to be a big shift in thinking for drivers. The easier things are communicated the more likely they'll put up with it.

I think you're still thinking with an enthusiast mindset. Phrases like "how hard is that?" or expecting them to have bad experiences to learn from show a lack of empathy for the end user. I'm thinking about the interactions on a mass market, gas station replacing scale.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 12, 2018

• Locked thread