Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Boon posted:

That's possible, I mean, as an Eldar player I only stand to benefit. But some limitation to WHO can use which stratagems or relics isn't a significant shift. It would also be a pretty elegant solution to the Shield-Captain issue since the relics and stratagems that make them over-the-top would be restricted or that'd be the only thing the army uses to the detriment of the rest of the list.

I agree. Limiting relics and stratagem to the Warlord faction would be a reasonable constraint that IMO wouldn't significantly impact the options for players to create diverse army lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Two Beans posted:

Gonna be fun turning that techmarine into a warpsmith. Greenstuff robo-tentacles!

Making greenstuff tentacles and posing them suuuuucks, I recommend a pack pewter cables from Dragonforge (scroll to the bottom)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Hot tentacle tip from gunpla experience: take some bendy wire and a thin styrene tube. Fold the wire until it snugly fits in and holds onto the tube. Cut the tube up into segments, and customize them as you see fit. Thread the tube segments onto the wire, and add caps to the ends of the wire so the segments cant fall off. You now have a nice bendy robo-tube to decorating giant robots. For dynamic posing on the miniature I'd use glue or greenstuff to hold them in place.

If you leave the wire exposed you have the bonus of the appearance of cable detail between the segments.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Apr 11, 2018

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
So with the likely upcoming changes to Hive Tyrants I’m considering getting some Lictors to provide cheap and effective Elite slots to fill out a Brigade at 1500+pts. The problem being the models are tough to find and expensive—any idea where the best source would be beside scraping eBay?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ro5s posted:

I'd like to see army traits to be limited to warlord's army trait only too, so you can have Space Marines + Cadians in an army, or Imperial Fists and Imperial Guard, but not Imperial Fist + Cadians.

I feel like the Regimental Tactics/equivelent is so baked into the points cost that removing it for allies would be a little unfair?

However, re-quoting this:

Floppychop posted:

Allowing you to only use stratagems from your Warlord faction would solve a lot of it.

As a sensible compromise we can all agree on. :shobon:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ijyt posted:

Making greenstuff tentacles and posing them suuuuucks, I recommend a pack pewter cables from Dragonforge (scroll to the bottom)

Neat stuff, they have a Mr. Skellington as well.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I agree. Limiting relics and stratagem to the Warlord faction would be a reasonable constraint that IMO wouldn't significantly impact the options for players to create diverse army lists.

Holy poo poo your avatar :laffo:

That's seriously amazing. Shame on you for discussing tactics in the warhammer thread.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I would like GW to make a soup option to accompany my orks so I can grab some reliable long range anti-tank. They should release Diggas as a faction which then allow me to ally in imperial guard, similar to the Nids. Or, some other bullshit fluff reason to allow me to fill in the weakness with my Boyz.

Pendent posted:

Does not compute

The reliable comes from the ally and the meaning of reliable is relative to the context of Orks. poo poo which hits on 3s and 4s and is not sat on a T4 model with a 6+, a man can dream.

Raphus C fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 11, 2018

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Two Beans posted:

Gonna be fun turning that techmarine into a warpsmith. Greenstuff robo-tentacles!

Two Beans my dude, cum play 30k. Enjoy having the most broken legion army. Make people shake with rage whenever you whisper 'space wolves are bad'

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Does not compute

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Two Beans posted:

ijyt posted:

Get a tentacle maker and use greenstuff covered paperclips to make the cables. Decorative, sturdy and infinitely poseable.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Pendent posted:

That's seriously amazing. Shame on you for discussing tactics in the warhammer thread.

Yeah, I literally laughed out loud. I'm starting to get an idea of who might be responsible.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Communist Revolutionary Grots are the only acceptable option for a new greenskin faction.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Pendent posted:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Pendent posted:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

PierreTheMime posted:

So with the likely upcoming changes to Hive Tyrants I’m considering getting some Lictors to provide cheap and effective Elite slots to fill out a Brigade at 1500+pts. The problem being the models are tough to find and expensive—any idea where the best source would be beside scraping eBay?

There's plenty of guides out there to convert Warriors into them. Having said that, I've gotten way more mileage out of Pyrovores than Lictors in 8E, plus they're a few points cheaper. You're probably gonna have the same issue with price/availability though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

That's... new loving incredible.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Pendent posted:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
It was me. I can't be the only guy with "I'm Gay" in his avatar

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

Get a tentacle maker and use greenstuff covered paperclips to make the cables. Decorative, sturdy and infinitely poseable.

Have one, hate it, gently caress greenstuff forever tbqh.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

BULBASAUR posted:

Two Beans my dude, cum play 30k. Enjoy having the most broken legion army. Make people shake with rage whenever you whisper 'space wolves are bad'

I would like to, but don't I need to collect a set of encyclopedias in order to have an army list?

I'd also like to play 40k, since I'm getting close to 5000pts that have yet to see a single battle.

Z the IVth posted:

This is the plan. Already got the XL roller set.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's... new loving incredible.

I am jealous. All I do for this game is math and paint.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

I am jealous. All I do for this game is math and paint.

I hope it never goes away.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

ijyt posted:

Have one, hate it, gently caress greenstuff forever tbqh.

I found that skaven tails make decent tentacles. Outside of making Nurgle stuff I concur with the gently caress green stuff forever mentality

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pendent posted:

:same:

Two Beans posted:

I would like to, but don't I need to collect a set of encyclopedias in order to have an army list?

I'd also like to play 40k, since I'm getting close to 5000pts that have yet to see a single battle.
You don't need the black books unless you want them. Forge World makes a series of much smaller red books with all the lists and other gaming stuff condensed into them. Unfortunately, the current legion red book doesn't include the Thousand Sons, Space Wolves, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, or White Scars yet and won't be updated until some time after Angelus in 2020 never. If you play one of the other legions, you'd need the rulebook, the generic legion list book, and the legion-specific book. That sounds like a lot, but it's really not that bad and the red books cost about the same as a 40k codex, but are all gaming content. The fluff and pretty pictures are all in the black books. They're fantastic (except maybe Inferno which has... issues, but the fluff is still great) and well worth the money, but most of their gaming content has been updated as the series has progressed from 5th to 7th edition. For example, Sons of Horus now are a far cry from where they were in Book I with additional rules and units.

Don't get me wrong, 30k is crazy expensive and not for the faint-hearted. You just don't need the big, ol' tomes if you don't want them.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
People always focus on the cost of the books when the armies start at 2500pts and one of the units isn't useable until games of 13k pts :shobon:

..and 90% of it is resin from Forge World. :shobon:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TTerrible posted:

People always focus on the cost of the books when the armies start at 2500pts and one of the units isn't useable until games of 13k pts :shobon:

..and 90% of it is resin from Forge World. :shobon:

And a falchion in the basket. :thunk:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

People always focus on the cost of the books when the armies start at 2500pts
:thunk:

I'd say the games start at 2000 points though I've played plenty below that. 1500 can be a good starting point, but lists will be dominated by tactical blobs without much room for anything else.

Or 1000 with Zone Mortalis

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
:ssh: As nice as the Black Books are, most of the fluff from them are up on the Wikia and Lexie :ssh:

Also 1d4chan, which isn't as bad as some people say, but it's not great either.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Safety Factor posted:

:thunk:

I'd say the games start at 2000 points though I've played plenty below that. 1500 can be a good starting point, but lists will be dominated by tactical blobs without much room for anything else.

Or 1000 with Zone Mortalis

New red rulebook says 2000-2500, I always try and push people to 2500 to make it easier to field an allcomer list that doesn't get wiped by some bullshit. :negative:

Schadenboner posted:

:ssh: As nice as the Black Books are, most of the fluff from them are up on the Wikia and Lexie :ssh:

Also 1d4chan, which isn't as bad as some people say, but it's not great either.

They're nice things to own and the art pages are really great.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

TheChirurgeon posted:

would you say you "gotta hand it to me" for writing it?
I see what you did there. And I approve. :golfclap:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

How far would the Calth set get to fielding a small force in a zone mortalis setting? I can't afford much forge world stuff but it would be fun to have a few hundred points to play with, maybe by adding something from forge world to the plastic.

30k seems dope as hell and I may or may not have bought Betrayal at Calth set after reading Know No Fear...

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Does anyone know if the new GCPS minis from Mantic are actually new or are they repacks of the old stuff from ?5? years ago?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Booyah- posted:

How far would the Calth set get to fielding a small force in a zone mortalis setting? I can't afford much forge world stuff but it would be fun to have a few hundred points to play with, maybe by adding something from forge world to the plastic.

30k seems dope as hell and I may or may not have bought Betrayal at Calth set after reading Know No Fear...

It can be done. Come to the 30k thread m’lord

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Booyah- posted:

Even assuming you run the 30 MkIV dudes as basic tacticals, it'll get you pretty far along. Two squads of 15, two characters, five terminators, and a contemptor is a pretty solid base. You can get to 1000 points no problem. Pick up a special unit or two depending on your chosen legion and you'll have enough to play around with. ZM only requires one compulsory HQ and one compulsory troop so while 1000 points is pretty small, you have more room than you might think.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

xtothez posted:

There's plenty of guides out there to convert Warriors into them. Having said that, I've gotten way more mileage out of Pyrovores than Lictors in 8E, plus they're a few points cheaper. You're probably gonna have the same issue with price/availability though.

Hmm, an interesting thought. Syncs up well with Kraken, I suppose I could use them as additional protection for my Malanthrope core.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TTerrible posted:

They're nice things to own and the art pages are really great.

They do look really really nice.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Yeah I love the British tourists in Inferno.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

would you say you "gotta hand it to me" for writing it?

drat this owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Mandrakes are Finecast :negative: