Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A Tasteful Nude posted:

Is the PvE game any fun? The in-game description says it has "microtransactions" - is that bad cell-phone game stuff, or just fancy costumes for game-bux?

I downloaded this to my PS4 on Saturday, because... it's free and also Drake played it or something? I can get into the top ten remaining pretty often, but then I get murdered by wizened old tower wizards whose unspeakable stick stacking power seems to grow when the storm closes in.

Pretty solid gaming experience.

It's bad cell-phone game stuff and has seen little development since the Battle Royal stuff came about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

socialsecurity posted:

It's bad cell-phone game stuff and has seen little development since the Battle Royal stuff came about.

It's basically been quality of life improvement and holiday stuff. The issue is the quality of life was pretty poo poo in the first place, so all the improvements haven't turned the game better, they've just turned it less lovely. Some of the improvements are really helpful (hoverboard, upgrading rarity of heroes, the event store), but the game still suffers as a result of the llama system and the whole 'survivor' squad stuff (the ones that make your stats/power go up, not the defenders) is still garbage tier.

The holiday stuff is decent/helpful for progression/getting legendaries, but if you don't play while the event is going on that content is non-existent to you. The Hexylvania event got me a bunch of good survivors and heroes for example, but someone who didn't have much time in october/november basically missed out on that for roughly a year.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 10, 2018

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Yeah they could cut survivor XP down by half and it would still be a loving slog getting the drops of rain and other mats. It’s a very fun game if you like building things to kill things while also shooting things. But after the first two zones are done you’ve basically seen everything you can - by then you’ll have some lvl25 weapons and stuff so new new perks beyond more damage.

Maybe that changes with shard/crystal weapons? Not going to bother TP because it’s rare stuff in late CV.

The holiday events are fun but outside a couple items (Hydra) the items are garbage compared to base game items.

Edit: Also if you have friends to play with it is actually fun. Mine stopped after mid-Plankerton but we had a shitload of fun getting there. A good mess around type game while talking about random things.

stuxracer fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 10, 2018

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It is still hilarious to me that Epic is raking in the money by implementing a game style that they never thought of nor wanted when the game game out.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It is still hilarious to me that Epic is raking in the money by implementing a game style that they never thought of nor wanted when the game game out.

And now they make more money than %99 of the games by releasing a skin alone.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

DreamShipWrecked posted:

And making it in literally 2 months. :v:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
My twitch aiming skills are starting to kick in again. I finally feel comfortable in a close range fight. I just got 7 kills dropping at that unmarked shipping container place.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm also thinking of trying this, can you do free for all with friends, or is it all randoms

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

RC Cola posted:

I'm also thinking of trying this, can you do free for all with friends, or is it all randoms

You can free for all with friends against other people with friends. You can’t make a small one for friends only.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I bought the pve game when it was on sale for $20. It's fun as something to kill some time in. It is pretty easy so it's not as stressful as the pvp side of things. You get some vbucks for logging in over time, but there are also daily challenges and other missions that give vbucks too. The Storm Shield Defense missions give 100 vbucks a pop and the daily missions are 50 vbucks. I've probably racked up 3000 or 4000 since February. The first 950 went to buying my Battlepass and I got a lot of emotes and the space shuttle glider with the rest.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

get ready for the port a fart

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/983721306662162432

grover haus in a box

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The only portable fort I want is a switch port of fortnite.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:emptyquote:

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

I'm guessing this is for people who play with a controller/phone. I can't see being something i pick up if it takes up an inventory slot.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

its gonna be fun to throw at teammates

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Fortnite is good and you should play it... Im on the Xbone if anyone wants to squad up.

Also, I'll never stop laughing when a Mom bust in the room and goes Berserk on the kid.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Throw five portaforts on top of each other

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

AAB posted:

get ready for the port a fart

https://twitter.com/FortniteGame/status/983721306662162432

grover haus in a box

Lol what is that overhang on top.

Total invulnerability as long as you dont have to shoot downwards.

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Nothing you can't already build yourself, just faster. I plan to use this exclusively to gently caress with my teammates when we are both gunning for the same supply drop/chest/whatever.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I look forward to the creative ways people will use this on enemies

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010
It would make me extremely happy if you could throw it against a wall or ceiling and have it build sideways or upside down.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Pop someone up with a fort - then throw them to their death with an impulse.

Korhal
Aug 9, 2007
Chaos and evolution, baby.
Save the World related -
Any suggestions for completing a 3/3 Bluglo Siphon solo? Nothing but people AFKing/farming in my games anytime I try and pub it, or they collect the L1 rewards the second the first stage is over. I've tried and failed 3 times solo because I just can't do enough damage fast enough in Stage 3 before I get overwhelmed by reloading. At this point I'm getting really frustrated farming up 1k metal/a ton of trap mats just to fail because I can't damage fast enough or lobbers break the siphon with AoE through walls. I just want to get past this dumb quest so I can keep progressing.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

There is no build limit to those. Throw up walls all over the place. I did that to solo the fireworks. Just wall/stair/wall barriers up to their spawn point.

Not saying this is the best but it works.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My hunch and wish for E3 is that Nintendo does a huuuge Fortnite trailer and everyone gets hyped as gently caress.

Then they tell us it’s on the eShop *now*

Man would that be rad.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Beastie posted:

My hunch and wish for E3 is that Nintendo does a huuuge Fortnite trailer and everyone gets hyped as gently caress.

Then they tell us it’s on the eShop *now*

Man would that be rad.

:yeah:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Korhal posted:

Save the World related -
Any suggestions for completing a 3/3 Bluglo Siphon solo? Nothing but people AFKing/farming in my games anytime I try and pub it, or they collect the L1 rewards the second the first stage is over. I've tried and failed 3 times solo because I just can't do enough damage fast enough in Stage 3 before I get overwhelmed by reloading. At this point I'm getting really frustrated farming up 1k metal/a ton of trap mats just to fail because I can't damage fast enough or lobbers break the siphon with AoE through walls. I just want to get past this dumb quest so I can keep progressing.

What platform do you play on?

Sioux
May 30, 2006

some ghoulish parody of humanity

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Isn't it some sort of jump pad? (actually it looks like a board with a spring below it)

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Sioux posted:

Isn't it some sort of jump pad? (actually it looks like a board with a spring below it)

The patch notes said it has stacks of tires inside the tower to quickly get on top.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

First shot accuracy seems to be gone. Also there's a builder controller layout now? From what I've read each bumper/trigger is a different building piece there.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
New patch is dope! Fixes a lot of poo poo I was annoyed with (including double pumps).

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/v3-5-patch-notes

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Zam Wesell posted:

New patch is dope! Fixes a lot of poo poo I was annoyed with (including double pumps).

one of Heavy BASE Kyle's perks posted:

Feel the BASE - BASE generates energy when enemies die within the area affected by BASE. After 30 kills BASE emits an explosion that knocks husks back and deals damage in a 3 tile radius.

Its like a late birthday present. :allears:

marathon Stairmaster sesh fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 11, 2018

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Holy poo poo replays, yesssss. Every competitive game should have a replay feature.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

quote:

Removed the reloading animation on the Pump Shotgun.
I'm not sure I follow.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Zam Wesell posted:

holy poo poo these are some good rear end patch notes

- spectating now follows the guided rocket
- new 50v50 changes own
- big vending machine updates
- more good poo poo

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Anyone try the new builder control scheme on consoles?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
The portafort is crazy good yo. It basically gives you the height advantage instantly and gives you a great starting point for a big fort.

I've finally built up a big enough network of adult/teen fortnite buddies that I don't really have to play with children and no mics anymore and it's so god drat good. I just racked up my first through fourth squad royales this morning in an extended session with a little group we put together.

If anyone wants a good unmarked spot to drop, the northeast coast is excellent. There's 6 or 7 good houses between the northeast corner and the river. It's awesome in solo and is usually quiet enough in squads that you can split up the party and take different blocks of houses.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Haven't seen or found a port-a-fortress in like six games. Are they super rare?

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

keyframe posted:

Haven't seen or found a port-a-fortress in like six games. Are they super rare?

Nah, I've seen people with multiple without getting them from corpses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

the Port-A-Fort is a purple rarity item, I don't think it's limited to just chests or supply drops, but it's certainly not that grey revolver you end up with 3 of every round