Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yeah that would be a real tragedy, good thing it never happened!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LoseHound posted:

my favorite part was watching David find his step daughter murdered under his watch and imagining him being the one to tell Joyce, still reeling from William's death, what happened. Will their overwhelming feelings of loss and guilt will destroy their relationship? Probably.

can't wait to read that comic!!!

They're still together by the time of the funeral but who's to say how far it lasted beyond that. Joyce at times strikes me as Chloe only without the backbone. She actually harbored a lot of the same doubts about David that her daughter did (try not defending David when talking to Joyce in Episode 5, she even mentions that she's considering leaving him) but was so desperate not to be alone anymore that she deluded herself into thinking everything was fine (which kind of makes her trying to push Chloe into going along with things and even blaming David's bad behavior on her at times seem even shittier in that context). She barely ever stands up to him in BtS and the one time she really does in the original is optional. I've said it before but a good portion of the reason Chloe became what she did is kind of her mom's fault.

That aside, I'd also kind of like to see comics about the daily lives of some of the alternate Maxes (such as the Vortex Club Max from the timeline where William lived and the one who went to San Francisco) and see more of what they're like when not being puppeted by Max Prime. If you want to bring BtS into this more Steph Gingrich would be nice as well, if only because she's my favorite new character from this game, was kind of underutilized, and odds are we're probably never going to see her again otherwise.

Speaking of which, if we do see any of the BtS characters in a game again I hope their VAs are allowed to return as well rather than being replaced by more "professional" ones as for a cast of mainly non-union actors most of them did a pretty good job. Kylie Brown (Rachel) particularly seems like she's going places.

Edit: If you didn't preorder BtS the Classic Chloe outfit is now available to everyone as an add-on. Speaking of Chloe, there's a neat little detail I just noticed. In one of the transitional photos (the one where she looks like she's about to knife David) there's a small streak of blue in her hair.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 5, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm finally getting around to playing Farewell.

I forgot my controller was plugged in. When the firecracker blew up the controller vibrated and fell off the desk like it got thrown back by the explosion too. Could not have worked out better.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Found another slight plot hole between the two games. BtS takes place in 2010 but if you check the box in Chloe's room during LiS episode 1 (the one that falls down and breaks her glass snow doe) you can find a report card from May of 2011 (Max even commenting that Chloe got expelled two years ago).

BtS does sort of provide an out for that though, in the hospital during Episode 3 James offers to pull some strings with Wells and try to get Chloe back into Blackwell so it could be possible that she did wind up going back for a year but it didn't really work out. Either that or just getting suspended as a result of the meeting in Episode 2 is the "canon" choice.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 7, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
That would also fix the inconsistency of why she was expelled too. Oh Chloe, expelled twice from the same school.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That would only really make sense in the "lie to Rachel" ending. I can't imagine in what universe her dad would still pull some strings for Chloe if you go the truth ending

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

That would only really make sense in the "lie to Rachel" ending. I can't imagine in what universe her dad would still pull some strings for Chloe if you go the truth ending

Incentive to keep her mouth shut maybe? Though I don't really see Chloe going for something like that, especially since both Chloe and Rachel pretty much hate his guts following that ending.

In Episode 2 Wells does mention if you get expelled that had she been suspended she would have had a chance for reinstatement in the fall so maybe in that timeline Chloe canonically went along with Rachel's story during that meeting.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Chloe skipping school, digging up dirt on the corrupt DA and getting him arrested on conspiracy to murder and extortion charges might just be enough for the school to grudgingly allow her back in for a year?

e: Frank would probably have to go to prison for improper disposal of a body though if James were arrested.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 7, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Chloe skipping school, digging up dirt on the corrupt DA and getting him arrested on conspiracy to murder and extortion charges might just be enough for the school to grudgingly allow her back in for a year?

e: Frank would probably have to go to prison for improper disposal of a body though if James were arrested.

James was never arrested though (that we saw anyway) and thanks to Chloe there wasn't really that much evidence left to convict him seeing as Damon is dead, and she took the burner phone James was using with her to the mill (and last we saw of it was in Damon's possession). Plus, any left over emails and documents he had in his office could be easily disposed of if need be.

Though on the other hand, James already had his entire plan blow up in his face at that point and might have figured it'd be better to just make good on his promise rather than risk escalating things further. After all, there isn't really any good way he could get back at Chloe without throwing his daughter under the bus in the process (who, as I mentioned, utterly despises him at that point) or at the very least, opening himself up to a lot of uncomfortable questions.

Come to think of it, Chloe kind of has a knack for being able to ruin somebody within a matter of minutes as almost every douchebag she's run into wound up having something bad eventually befall them. For example: Eliot got expelled, Damon was killed, everything James spent the last 15 years working for unraveled before his eyes (doubly so if you managed to convince Sera to reunite with Rachel) with his family being permanently damaged in the process, and even Chloe's death managed to cause trouble for Jefferson and the Prescotts. It's kind of impressive actually.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 7, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

When exactly Chloe gets expelled from Blackwell is one of those utterly "who cares" retcons that results in a better dramatic scene for BtS, so I side with "who cares."

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

When exactly Chloe gets expelled from Blackwell is one of those utterly "who cares" retcons that results in a better dramatic scene for BtS, so I side with "who cares."

Like most of the retcons actually, and like most of the others it's fairly easy to rationalize if you want to. But they're also extremely minor details, everything that matters is actually pretty consistent between the two as far as I can tell. Hell, retroactively speaking there are at least two direct references to BtS in the first game (Chloe pointing out that David used to call her a loser for getting kicked out of school and PissHead being one of the bands listed on her computer in the alternate timeline). Just pointing it out as I'd never noticed it before.

Off the subject but I'd kind of like it if the protagonist of Season 2 was sort of a happy medium between Max and Chloe as far as personality goes (that is, enough of a blank slate for the player to be able to imprint on them but also enough of their own character so as not to be overshadowed by a large portion of the cast). As it stands, more often than not this feels like it's Chloe's story and Max is just a proxy by which to experience it. We don't really get a lot of personal details about her aside from the basics (enjoys photography, shy and doesn't always have the best people skills, tries to be good but can also be a little self-absorbed at times, etc) and how she connects to Chloe.

We also aren't really told a lot about her family aside from the occasional texts, photos, and a brief cameo at the end of Farewell (hell, the only way you even learn their names is via a postcard you can look at in the William Lives timeline). The most I can gleam from that is that her mom seems a bit quick to jump to conclusions, they're both kind of overprotective of her, and while not rich per se, Max's family seems to be firmly in the upper middle class. Point is, by the end of the game we wind up learning more about Chloe and the supporting cast than we do about our actual main character.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 8, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I appreciate the fact that while the main story of BtS and the original game show us that the old Chloe never fully died when everything went to hell, Farewell also shows us that there was always a little punk in her just below the surface even back when her life was going well.

Also, when she applies herself Chloe is actually kind of brilliant, particularly in matters regarding science.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 8, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

That's been a constant, mostly background, detail throughout every episode of Life is Strange. First game and the prequel. Chloe is actually really smart and would really go places if she applied herself or gave a poo poo. But her dad dying, on top of everything else, killed like all her motivation and giving-a-poo poo. She certainly doesn't stop being smart but she just stops carrying

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Which kind of makes me wonder where she would have been in her life during the William Lives timeline if not for the accident. But then again, as we all know the LiS universe hates Chloe for some strange reason and would never allow her to be happy for very long, so I'm sure something else would have eventually happened anyway.

To her credit though, while the world might literally be out to get her she usually gives as good as she gets. As we've seen, to a lot of assholes in Arcadia Bay crossing paths with Chloe Price is practically a death sentence. Also somewhat related, I like the fact that Chloe is one of the few people that Victoria can't get under the skin of (despite her best efforts).

Come to think of it, Most of the actual heroic actions in this series are generally accomplished by Chloe and other characters. Aside from saving Kate on the roof (which you can still fail at) and snapping Chloe out of her funk after realizing what her friend had become all for her sake Max doesn't really end up doing much that winds up being beneficial in the long run. Before you bring up the art gallery it should be noted that she didn't exactly mean to throw herself back into the Dark Room, she just didn't think to text David before ripping up the photo. Therefore her autopilot kicked in, she forgot everything and as such the week played out exactly as before (though to be fair, giving up her dreams for the sake of a friend is a pretty noble act in and of itself).

That's kind of the difference between them actually, despite the front she puts up Chloe is a genuinely good person at heart and is fiercely loyal to her friends. Whereas Max generally means well but doesn't really have the best people skills and at times comes off as kind of self-absorbed (telling Kate she believes her and to go to the police but hesitating when asked to back her up because she doesn't want to be involved, telling Kate about how she erased the messages on her slate/the link to the video on the bathroom wall when Kate probably didn't even have a chance to see half of those, telling Chloe to basically just suck it up and focus after she kills Frank, etc).

There's also the way they deal with the ramifications of their decisions. Whenever Chloe ends up doing something against her principles (freezing up when Rachel got stabbed, honoring Sera's wishes and hiding the truth about James, killing Frank) she kind of hates herself afterwards. Hell, in the latter case she seriously considers just turning herself in. Meanwhile Max kind of just pouts for a minute or two and then shrugs it off (even in cases where somebody gets killed as a result) with the exception of the two endings and Kate's death (which kind of haunts her for the rest of the game). Neither extreme is necessarily the best of course but Max's approach just seems a lot colder in my opinion.

Which I guess is another reason why I don't think Max is the "greater beauty yet to come" William spoke of, but rather it's actually Chloe herself. While Max is one of the few things that Chloe ever got back after she lost it that doesn't change the fact that she still burned Chloe just as bad if not worse than Rachel did. Ultimately their purpose is to support Chloe and give her strength, the only one that can truly save Chloe in the end is herself. By doing so she saves Max, the town, Rachel's soul, and her death also results in the guilty being brought to justice. Because of this, she wins her freedom and lives on as the blue butterfly.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 9, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Deck Nine explains their reasoning behind Before the Storm's ending

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

quote:

But Garris feels that this moment, which some found shocking, could have been portrayed slightly differently. “I will tell you, the flashbulb going off — I didn’t want to do that,” Garriss says. “I very deliberately didn’t want to do that. Other devs... actually made the choice to do that in response to a very particular note we got. And when I saw it, I was really upset, because it was like — and I know this sounds silly — it was a little bit too far for me.

I 100% agree about it being a little bit too far. I've already said this but it just feels... gratuitous? Gratuitous and dark for no other reason than to be gratuitous and dark. No one playing this game is playing this as their entry to the series. Everyone playing the prequel is fully aware of what happens to Rachel. That knowledge hangs over your head the ENTIRE time. When Rachel says "one day, I'm gonna climb Everest" all you're thinking is "no... you won't :(". When Rachel says "you're not getting rid of me that easily" jokingly to Chloe in the hospital, there's a dark undertone to that just because we know what happens. You don't need that after credits bit to be reminded that Chloe and Rachel's happy relationship doesn't last and in fact ends in a really hosed up way. It just ends up feeling like it's there to be dark for no good reason, especially after the ending montage. The bit with the camera going off also adds an extra layer of "gross" that it super didn't need. Basically you didn't need that ending because you know full well what happens to Rachel in the future anyway.

I feel like if they absolutely HAD to go with an ending like that, they should've just had it be a quick scene of Chloe putting up the missing person's posters. I feel even that's a bit unnecessary but I don't think it would've felt nearly as gross to me.

Also thank god for spell check cause gently caress the word "gratuitous"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Another point they really use to good effect to remind you of what's to come is in farewell when Max and Chloe are digging for the treasure. It's not particularly subtle, but it's still far less of an unnecessary gut punch.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Another point they really use to good effect to remind you of what's to come is in farewell when Max and Chloe are digging for the treasure. It's not particularly subtle, but it's still far less of an unnecessary gut punch.

Yeah that was a really well framed shot. There's something like that in BTS that I remember feeling a similar way about but I do not remember what it was.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Yeah that was a really well framed shot. There's something like that in BTS that I remember feeling a similar way about but I do not remember what it was.

In Episode 2, Chloe can graffiti a treasure map of the junkyard where the 'X' is ultimately where they find Rachel's body.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

To be fair, by virtue of being a prequel any ending they gave BtS was going to be bittersweet at best, plus it's not like emotional gut punches and human misery don't already go hand-in-hand with this series. While I didn't mind it as much as most did but I do agree it felt a little gratuitous. If it helps, just consider it a preview for LiS Episode 1. It doesn't really spoil anything you don't already find out in that episode after all.

Farewell has a similar type of ending but for some reason it works better for me there. Though it does end pretty much exactly the way I was afraid the first episode was going to end on my initial playthrough (with Chloe curled up on the ground crying).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Farewell's ending works because it adds to our understanding of the characters, BtS's after credits sequence doesn't. I don't think it's really that it's sad that's an issue, it's that it's set up intentionally to undercut the scenes before it, but it misses the mark because the ending montage really didn't need to be undercut.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Farewell's ending works because it adds to our understanding of the characters, BtS's after credits sequence doesn't. I don't think it's really that it's sad that's an issue, it's that it's set up intentionally to undercut the scenes before it, but it misses the mark because the ending montage really didn't need to be undercut.

Fair point, it does kind of not mesh well with the rest of the ending which is overall surprisingly positive for a Life is Strange episode. If they had to include something like that there were probably other ways to do it. For example, they could have had the scene play out as normal but instead of cutting to the Dark Room they could have instead cut to a shot of Chloe standing outside Blackwell prior to meeting Nathan (maybe even set the flash forward a bit earlier in the ending and have the player take control of Chloe one last time as she essentially walks to the site of her execution), or just simply ended on a close up of Rachel's missing person poster. Not sure if either of those would really be any better though.

Unrelated but another minor gripe I have is that the end of episode previews aren't quite as interesting as they were in the first game. Hell, aside from the voice clips used the one for Episode 2 flat out doesn't happen, which kind of makes me think there was a rewrite at some point. Also, would it really have been that hard for the Previously on... segments to remember what outfit Chloe was wearing in those scenes (though I suppose that would require making 7 different pre-rendered versions of the same scenes so I understand why they wouldn't bother with it)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 9, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, but there's a throwaway line in Episode 2 that kind of intrigues me. If you check Frank's computer then during the Backtalk with him you can get a dialogue option where he mentions dreaming about a cloud that swallowed Arcadia Bay. Could it be possible that Frank had a vision about the upcoming storm as well? There is some evidence in the first game that other people besides Max might have known about it after all (some vague warnings from Samuel, an email to Nathan from Sean Prescott mentioning that the town is going to get "a well deserved enema" soon, and an unused line from Nathan in Episode 4 where he's screaming about how the storm is coming and everyone's doomed).

Aside from that, while the upcoming comic series could be decent depending on how they handle it I'm more interested in hearing some information about the new cast and story for Season 2 (which might start coming out in another month or so at the earliest from what I've heard).

Though if they ever do go back to the Bay I hope we get a different focus character next time around. While Chloe might be one of my favorites her story is basically finished now and doesn't really need to be taken any further than it already has. I suppose she could still pop up as a minor character or something if they really want to though.

For example, I think a game focused around Steph could be interesting. It could alternate between normal progression and segments where you DM a D&D campaign with various characters (Such as Rachel, Chloe, Drew & Mikey, some less likely options like Frank and Victoria and maybe even a timeskip towards the end where you can meet Max). Her "power" in this case would essentially be World Building, where your choices can shape the story of the campaign (which itself could draw inspiration from stuff that happens during the main game). Said ability could also be useful in the main story for bluffing your way out of a bad situation/convincing some one to do what you want.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 10, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I find it very interesting that he specifically didn’t want the camera flashes or the context of anything happening to Rachel during the phone scene. I think I wouldn’t have minded it as much if that was how it was and I wonder how it got in the ending if he didn’t want it there. Were there higher ups who made the decision? Something that other devs just snuck in (which sounds possible from what he said but seems strange)?

It wasn’t what they did that was the issue for me - if this came out before the original LiS then it could have been a cool, ambiguous way to lead someone into the original series. But knowing what was happening and having it in such a way that everyone is imagining exactly what is happening just didn’t serve a point other than to be a cheap emotion getter. Everyone played LiS who is playing this prequel and saw what happened to Max - we all know about the dark room and what happens there. That wasn’t part of this prequel and felt tacked on in a tacky (sorry) way, whereas just the phone ringing would have given the effect it seemed like they wanted without being gross, exploitative and still relevant to the game we just played. Also, more to imagine without it being fed to us (like, “see, she’s getting tortured right now and this is the last thing you’ll remember from this game and you have no choice of how to interpret it”)

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The after credits dark room segment was just pointlessly nasty.

It was inappropriate because Rachel dying 2 years later has nothing to do with this particular story. This was the story of the beginning of Chloe and Rachel's relationship, not the story of their entire relationship, so there was no need to throw Rachel's death into the face of the player.

It would be like ending a romantic comedy with a 10 second scene of one of the characters dying of cancer in a hospital 20 years later.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Exactly, the entirety of BtS (not counting Farewell) only takes place over the course of 1 night and 3 days. Rachel's death had nothing to do with the story they were trying to tell and throwing that scene in at the end was just an unnecessary gut punch. Though to be fair it didn't really bother me as much as most and if for whatever reason this is your first entry to the series I guess it does make for an interesting little teaser for the first game. All the same, if they had to include some kind of flash forward at the end I'm sure there were better ways they could have gone about it.

As mentioned, Farewell's ending is also pretty cruel in and of itself (maybe more so seeing as that's the last we're ever going to see of those characters for a while if not ever) but it works there because it's still appropriate to that episode's story.

Somewhat related but why is it so drat wrong to just let Chloe be happy for a while? Counting both games together this feels less like a string of bad luck and more like the universe itself has a personal grudge against her (she even says as much more than once). It's kind of ridiculous actually.

Hell, even in the Bae ending she still has to live with the fact that her life came at the cost of the town and nearly everyone she ever cared about, the only one left also being the one who let it all happen. Not to mention the fact that neither Chloe or Max can now ever leave each other without coming across as a complete rear end in a top hat. In a sense, you've basically traded one prison for another.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 10, 2018

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I might be remembering this wrong but wasn't there a bit in S1 too where it showed the Dark Room had no reception? Aside from the unnecessary gut punch of that moment that's the first thing that struck me as odd about it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Clearly Jefferson witnessed his mistake and upgraded.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

I might be remembering this wrong but wasn't there a bit in S1 too where it showed the Dark Room had no reception? Aside from the unnecessary gut punch of that moment that's the first thing that struck me as odd about it.

That is correct, Max had to go outside to get a signal after she escaped. Honestly, if BtS had jumped around a bit in time during its run then ending it like that probably wouldn't have been quite as big an issue. But as it is the game is set 3 years before the original and only spans a little less than a week in-game so Jefferson hadn't even entered the picture at that point. It just feels a little inappropriate for the story they were trying to tell.

Fun Fact: so far the amount of episodes a Life is Strange game has directly corresponds with the time frame the game takes place in. Including Farewell, BtS is 4 episodes and the main game spans the course of 4 days (counting the night of the Firewalk show at the beginning) whereas the original is 5 episodes and takes place over the course of a week.

Speaking of Farewell, is it just me or did Hannah Telle's performance sound a little off this time around? It wasn't bad or anything but it just felt like she had a little more energy behind it in the first game. I suppose you could chalk that up to being out of practice though since she's a singer by trade whereas Ashly Burch and Joe Ochman (Willam) are professional actors.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 11, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In addition to the comic miniseries and Season 2 it might also be nice if one day they went back and did a remastered version of the original Life is Strange (a Switch port would be good as well). That way they'd have a chance to do some bug fixes, update the models so the character's actually emote properly, possibly add some of the scrapped content/dialogue back in along with some of the extras from the mobile version and maybe even toss in some new content if they felt like it. The game still holds up fine for what it is but it could stand for an update in a few areas.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

In addition to the comic miniseries and Season 2 it might also be nice if one day they went back and did a remastered version of the original Life is Strange (a Switch port would be good as well). That way they'd have a chance to do some bug fixes, update the models so the character's actually emote properly, possibly add some of the scrapped content/dialogue back in along with some of the extras from the mobile version and maybe even toss in some new content if they felt like it. The game still holds up fine for what it is but it could stand for an update in a few areas.

What extras were in the mobile version?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

What extras were in the mobile version?

The ability to take and store photos of anything, not just the specific ones from each episode. You could also swap between Max's different outfits throughout the game at any point, I might be forgetting a few things. Fairly minor stuff but kind of neat none the less.

Hell, since DontNod does acknowledge it it as part of the series a remake could even throw a few BtS nods in there if they wanted to (like maybe an optional encounter with Steph for some more D&D action for example), I doubt it though. Honestly I'd just settle for improved character models and some of the cut content restored (such as Willam and Rachel popping up during the nightmare, that concept art of Max standing in the middle of town wearing a hospital gown fully realized and maybe throw in the rumored "Hospital Ending" if they feel like it).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 12, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

They're bringing back the moments of calm on the LiS Youtube Channel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGn97Pm3dtE

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
It just dawned on me that Eliot's behavior in episode three is foreshadowed by his room slate. Take the time to look at it and you'll notice that he drew a picture Gandalf the wizard declaring "You shall not pass." on it.

And what does Eliot do when he finds Chloe in the Amber house? He stands between her and the door of the room she's in, refusing to let her out. I can't believe it took me this long to make that connection...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Actually the first hints that I can tell came during the conversation in the parking lot where as soon as Chloe tells him she's been expelled/suspended he immediately jumps on the fact that Rachel was involved and got away scott free (also the journal entry about him where Chloe mentions that it feels like he's analyzing her). Despite going to school with her since kindergarten (which actually kind of makes me wonder how well he got along with Max come to think of it) you kind of get the sense that Eliot didn't really know Chloe that well at all, thinking of her more as some helpless damsel in need of rescuing and that he was somehow entitled to her affections ("You're going to stop thinking about Rachel and start thinking about me"). When she doesn't follow the script he laid out in his head, he gets pissed (dropping the mask entirely if you fail the Backtalk).

In fact, Eliot may be the only person who ever successfully broke Chloe's trust (she still held a bit of a candle for Max despite her abandoning her and was still determined to find Rachel even after discovering what happened with her and Frank). Not to mention the fact that he loving recites the definition of stalking when Chloe brings it up, which makes me think this wasn't the first time he'd been called out on this poo poo. Compare that to Warren who despite being a little annoying you still get the sense that he and Max are genuinely friends. Plus, he does do something useful eventually (if he hadn't taken that photo at the party everyone would have been screwed).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 15, 2018

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

Actually the first hints that I can tell came during the conversation in the parking lot where as soon as Chloe tells him she's been expelled/suspended he immediately jumps on the fact that Rachel was involved and got away scott free (also the journal entry about him where Chloe mentions that it feels like he's analyzing her). Despite going to school with her since kindergarten (which actually kind of makes me wonder how well he got along with Max come to think of it) you kind of get the sense that Eliot didn't really know Chloe that well at all, thinking of her more as some helpless damsel in need of rescuing and that he is somehow entitled to her affections ("You're going to stop thinking about Rachel and start thinking about me"). When she doesn't follow the script he laid out in his head, he gets pissed (dropping the mask entirely if you fail the Backtalk).

In fact, Eliot may be the only person who ever successfully broke Chloe's trust (she still held a bit of a candle for Max despite her abandoning her and was still determined to find Rachel even after discovering what happened with her and Frank). Not to mention the fact that he loving recites the definition of stalking when Chloe brings it up, which makes me think this wasn't the first time he'd been called out on this poo poo. Compare that to Warren who despite being a little annoying you still get the sense that he and Max are genuinely friends. Plus, he does do something useful eventually (if he hadn't taken that photo at the party everyone would have been screwed).

Warren also gave Max instructions on how to make a bomb pretty much no questions asked (and offered to help). And (optionally) kicked the poo poo out of Nathan.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

Warren also gave Max instructions on how to make a bomb pretty much no questions asked (and offered to help). And (optionally) kicked the poo poo out of Nathan.

Exactly, while he has his faults Warren never really struck me as a bad person. Eliot on the other hand is what you'd get if you took away all of Warren's good qualities and ramped what's left up to 11.

He also could have been cut from the game entirely and it wouldn't have made much of a difference. You could just replace the confrontion in the office with either Steph swinging by to check up on Chloe (which probably would have been a lot less confrontational and maybe even resulted in Chloe gaining a new partner once everything was explained) or better yet a dream sequence where Eliot's points against Rachel are instead used by William or even a nightmare version of Chloe herself, which would also add an extra layer of depth to the whole thing as it would then turn into Chloe having to confront her own doubts and insecurities.

On another note, I understand why William is the raven (it's described as a trickster spirit and what we've seen of William shows he has kind of a playful nature that Chloe seems to have inherited along with her mom's take-no-poo poo attitude), and Chloe the butterfly (she's free spirited but also extremely fragile) but what exactly does Rachel have to do with deer (though it also doesn't make much sense for the doe not to be Rachel considering the context in which it appears, plus I think one of the developers flat out confirmed this a while back)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Apr 15, 2018

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I kind of despised Warren but understood him. An awkward, clinically friendzoned guy who couldn't just come out and say what he meant. He approached the borderline of being creepy and obsessive a few times though and that left a permanent impression on me. The confrontation with Eliot in Ep 3 of BtS was one of the most tense and terrifying moments I've had in a game and I liked how they built him as the obsessive creep under the impression that he was in the right from the start and it culminated to the encounter at the Amber house. I liked that they were unambiguous about it, too.

That encounter was hard as hell the first time through though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Failing it is hilarious because Chloe just throws the phone through the window and says "gently caress you"

I actually like the scene for passing less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Eliot encounter totally did not work for me in Episode 3, but then I watched Geek Remix's playthrough where they failed the backtalk and it's a much stronger scene that way. It's weird.

• Locked thread