Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

+3 xp for creative nonviolent solutions [in a game where you play as a bloodsucking vampire.]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

nofather posted:

It always seemed to be a take on the Sabbat's 'baby on a stick' thing, which was ten years old at the time.

:bitcoin:

Is that from Gehenna or what?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Nessus posted:

:bitcoin:

Is that from Gehenna or what?

Must be, given it references the Withering.

And yeah, that sounds like an overly controlling GM used to players who take things very casually.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kurieg posted:

Neonates! Many Neonates! Left Side!
That's a 50 EXP Minus!
Kreshim was Nightmared into it!

Also holy loving lol I wouldn't even consider joining that group, and I wouldn't let anyone I knew and liked join that group either. Everything reeks of a boring ST who doesn't actually know how to run a game or make a plot throwing a hissy fit because the players are bored and trying to make poo poo happen on their own.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Why would you ever take XP from a player when you could instead set their character sheet on fire as a demonstration of why not to gently caress with The Powers That Be.

edit- did none of you keep a large aluminum coffee can your players nicknamed "The Burn Bin" when y'all was running Illegal Basement LARPs at college?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah this reads as someone who is bad with people putting their foot down on things they don’t like players doing with TABLE RULES instead of having to ask people nicely if they could stop building dice towers or playing fishmalks. Better to have a predefined table of bad things written down that you can punish people with from behind the GM screen than risk an uncomfortable social interaction!

Even if this ST ran the best game in the world, I’d be concerned about their ability to handle actual interpersonal problems in the group without immediately jumping to “I’M THE STORYTELLER SO MY WORD IS LAW” instead of trying to talk it out.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

quote:

regular accumulations of positive exp will lead to in game advancement with mechanics as well as narrative advancement.

does this mean like...you won't advance the plot until someone gets a lot of xp?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xinder posted:

does this mean like...you won't advance the plot until someone gets a lot of xp?

I wondered about this myself. The best I could come up with is 'if you get enough XP, I'll give you a swank haven or the Prince gives out some easy feeding rights' or something.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

"High XP characters get more table spotlight/attention than low XP characters."

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Barbed Tongues posted:

"High XP characters get more table spotlight/attention than low XP characters."

Imagine if it was the opposite, though.

Like, every new player is instantly cast center stage under all the spotlights, and the more they do that develops them as actual characters doing interesting things rather than a cardboard cutout, the less time and attention they get until they're permanently on the fringes trying to find some way to turn the clock back or kill everybody with less XP.

...y'know this post started as a shitpost and halfway through turned into an actual pitch for a horror game based on accidental fame and manufactured celebrity culture.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Daeren posted:

Like, every new player is instantly cast center stage under all the spotlights, and the more they do that develops them as actual characters doing interesting things rather than a cardboard cutout, the less time and attention they get until they're permanently on the fringes trying to find some way to turn the clock back or kill everybody with less XP.

...y'know this post started as a shitpost and halfway through turned into an actual pitch for a horror game based on accidental fame and manufactured celebrity culture.

I'd play that game.

I wouldn't play that other VTM game though. That sounds terrible and like you're playing on rails with a terrible ST.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I don't think he intends to be a poor GM, just weirdly naive and taught by bad influences (eg, half the old guard), but nonetheless I will be declining.

Me posted:

That XP chart looks...worrisome. Did you have bad experiences in the past or something?

GM posted:

No I just like to be prepared. I've heard stories of difficult players and I really don't think I'll have a problem but I like to have everything in the open

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

The best way to deal with bad players is to make them not players (in your game) but idk.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Some of my best role-playing experiences both as player and a storyteller would have resulted in penalties in his system.

So it sounds like a good way to chase away good players as well.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Beware the ST who micromanages your behavior with XP rewards, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Your "game master", if you will,

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Beware the ST who micromanages your behavior with XP rewards, for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

Bad beats.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Daeren posted:

15 Minutes: A Game Of Social (Media) Horror. Elder Influencers hold sway over the fabled LOLMarkets, Memefarms, and Content Mines, doling out miserly tidbits and retweets to their faithful. Do young up-and-coming Rising Stars have the wits to dethrone them and grasp the reins of content generation into their own sweaty palms?

No but seriously I think there's legs to this idea. Rank is decided by Ties to your life pre-fame, they negatively affect your ability to devote yourself entirely to your pursuit, but at the same time they can be used to help you out in times of trouble. Players with the most Ties get the most game-time, because trying to juggle real life and career is Where The Drama Is.
Stunts can be attempted to gain followers, but tasteless or failed Stunts might result in Blowback, which can cost you financial security. Make the players compete for a limited pool of Endorsements which are hoarded by the high-XP players but easily won by newbies able to capitalize on timely Blowback.

Is that the kind of theme you're going for?

Ferrinus posted:

I also use snacks. :colbert:

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

That actually seems like it could be something. Allow for the purchase of some strange negatives that have a benefit in there somewhere? Like a Mage's nimbus getting permanently corrupted but allowing them to control some paradox-spawned Reaches. Merits that aren't beneficial enough to really be Merits.

Of course it would be a lot of extra scorekeeping and people already complain about that.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

nofather posted:

That actually seems like it could be something. Allow for the purchase of some strange negatives that have a benefit in there somewhere? Like a Mage's nimbus getting permanently corrupted but allowing them to control some paradox-spawned Reaches. Merits that aren't beneficial enough to really be Merits.

Of course it would be a lot of extra scorekeeping and people already complain about that.

Mages can already do that! You don’t even need a Merit for it. It’s a good idea and you should try it.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

blastron posted:

Mages can already do that! You don’t even need a Merit for it. It’s a good idea and you should try it.

Yeah, it's part of why I used it as an example (that and I figured a Vampire example might get confused for a LARP suggestion as opposed to Chronicles) by going Scelesti but it's not something you buy, it's just something you do somehow in-game and gives you ridiculous benefits and more ambiguous disadvantages.

If you're getting rewarded from an in-game activity that the game posits as a negative, then you could make it less ambiguous and have it as a mechanic.

nofather fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 12, 2018

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

blastron posted:

It looks like the current plan is that they do need antinomian praxes or rotes in order to do that. You can create antonimian praxes if you know how, but not rotes. Being able to create antinomian rotes and use improvised antinomian casting was shaping up to be the province of undergoing the Joining and signing your name to an abyssal watchtower, last I looked at it.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Current project status:
Changeling's done, barring C20 content and the short story collections
Wraith's done, barring Wraith20 and the short story collections and novels
Mage is done, barring some of M20 and the short story collections and some of the novels
Hunter's done
Demon's done
Mummy's done
Vampire is at 65% cleaned. Some novels and shorts unadded, lot of V20 not added, most of VTES done.
Werewolf is next to clean but basically untouched. Some novels and shorts unadded, lot of W20 not added. Most of RAGE done.

I'm still going to try and power through to at least the end of Vampire. Not sure about Werewolf. Worst case, I'll prune out personal remarks and release the raw data for someone else to clean and polish. I really can't emphasize how much my dismay at the direction NuWolf is going has sapped my enthusiasm to spend the time on this, knowing the direction the games are going. The fact that there'll be constant new data is also part of it and has been since the 20th anniversary lines started expanding so much, since I have too much of a backlog to clear without wiping out my free time completely as it is so it means that full completion isn't possible even at an arbitrary date without a lot more work than it's worth. We'll see.

EDIT:
I should also note that the current stage is the least interesting or engaging. Cleaning is just poring over lines of text because I was an idiot and didn't set it up using an excel sheet or anything like that - or even consistent enough notation to automate easily - when I started, and re-entering the data. The next stage is splitting the data into two identical sets, one of which has all duplicate mentions merged by hand to get the authoritative count and have analysis performed, while the other retains duplicates under different editions to spot retcons and inconsistencies. Merging is much faster than cleaning, and the analysis after is fun in a super nerdy way. Cleaning is the worst stage, because it's basically just menial data entry peppered only by trying to figure out what the hell some cryptic notation I made four years ago means. The initial entry at least involves reading something vaguely interesting, not just an endless list of names, places, clans and dates.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Apr 12, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The signs and portents have announced the completion of the Project. Soon, the end will begin.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Taking a glance at the book of Freeholds now it's out - nice to read a thing that isn't law or the data cleanup. Other than a Midsummer Night's dream reference, every character in a relationship so far is in a same sex relationship. Something like an 80% rate. I kind of wish I'd made a note of how many changelings were notably gay, bisexual, pan, or otherwise queer before.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Loomer posted:

Taking a glance at the book of Freeholds now it's out - nice to read a thing that isn't law or the data cleanup. Other than a Midsummer Night's dream reference, every character in a relationship so far is in a same sex relationship. Something like an 80% rate. I kind of wish I'd made a note of how many changelings were notably gay, bisexual, pan, or otherwise queer before.
I wonder how much of that is earnestly progressive...and how much is instead Brucato or some other New Age loony treating them as "magickal" in some way.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Arms of the Chosen book mentions about twenty or so romantic pairings. Only one of them is heterosexual.

According to the authors, it's pretty deliberate because they really like having gay stuff.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

NGDBSS posted:

I wonder how much of that is earnestly progressive...and how much is instead Brucato or some other New Age loony treating them as "magickal" in some way.
Search your feelings, you know what the truth is.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Loomer posted:

Beast and it's Antagonist book were the same way, if a character is in a relationship it's almost assuredly a gay one. The only straight people I can recall off the top of my head were rather explicitly villainous.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Beast and it's Antagonist book were the same way, if a character is in a relationship it's almost assuredly a gay one. The only straight people I can recall off the top of my head were rather explicitly villainous.

Yet another thing that made the combination of their abusive nature and the queer subtext come together in a really uncomfortable way. One example that comes to mind is The Beast That Entraps Priests Into Sin and his boyfriend, The Beast That Kills Priests Who Sin.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

The Ready-Made C20 characters aren't that bad. The Piskey's whole concept is wrapped up around being genderqueer, which is fine, although a bit laser-focused. Also they and some of the female Changelings have a Motley where they hunt representations of the Patriarchy in the Dreaming.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

LatwPIAT posted:

Yet another thing that made the combination of their abusive nature and the queer subtext come together in a really uncomfortable way. One example that comes to mind is The Beast That Entraps Priests Into Sin and his boyfriend, The Beast That Kills Priests Who Sin.

"But gay people can be evil too!" cries Reddit over and over as it beat it to death with a shovel.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Ironslave posted:

It looks like the current plan is that they do need antinomian praxes or rotes in order to do that. You can create antonimian praxes if you know how, but not rotes. Being able to create antinomian rotes and use improvised antinomian casting was shaping up to be the province of undergoing the Joining and signing your name to an abyssal watchtower, last I looked at it.

The most basic level of it is available to all mages. There’s a big fat “if you want to do more than this ask your ST” line, but the core of it is instead of trying to soak Paradox successes as bashing, you can roll Gnosis and control that many of the Paradox Reach. This is literally three tiny sentences on page 239 of the core 2e book; I would have missed it entirely if I hadn’t been specifically trying to figure out what the villains of my current chronicle would be.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

blastron posted:

The most basic level of it is available to all mages. There’s a big fat “if you want to do more than this ask your ST” line, but the core of it is instead of trying to soak Paradox successes as bashing, you can roll Gnosis and control that many of the Paradox Reach. This is literally three tiny sentences on page 239 of the core 2e book; I would have missed it entirely if I hadn’t been specifically trying to figure out what the villains of my current chronicle would be.

I'm referring to more-current remarks made on the nature of doing that evil dark magic through the Onyx Path forums. Rabashakim--first stage Scelesti--are normal mages who cast befouled spells. As was planned to be the case a year ago, they need Befouled praxes and rotes in order to cast those spells, and they can't make the rotes themselves.

Experimenting with befouled magic ends up sending you an addicted spiral until you eventually shatter your Path's symbolism and sign your name to an abyssal ziggurat, which grants the ability to cast improvised Befouled spells and created Befouled rotes.

Edit: the needing rotes thing is itself in 1E as well. Depending on which book you read which covered the topic (there are two).

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I'm super loving tired of people making Uluru a super powerful mystical site and ignoring the rest of Australia. We have more sacred sites than Uluru, goddamnit, and it's also kind of on the nose to make a site where we aren't meant to walk, which has been just freshly very strongly expressed by the traditional custodians with an outright ban, into a glade for random groups to play around in.

P.s. when I went to check the authors to see if an Aussie might be responsible, I found out the book is dedicated to Blackhat Matt. Gross.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Loomer posted:

I'm super loving tired of people making Uluru a super powerful mystical site and ignoring the rest of Australia. We have more sacred sites than Uluru, goddamnit, and it's also kind of on the nose to make a site where we aren't meant to walk, which has been just freshly very strongly expressed by the traditional custodians with an outright ban, into a glade for random groups to play around in.

P.s. when I went to check the authors to see if an Aussie might be responsible, I found out the book is dedicated to Blackhat Matt. Gross.
It is lame as hell although I suppose in books written in 1993 by people from Stone Mountain, Georgia, a certain degree of casual ignorance is no great surprise.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Books written in 2018 by a purportedly diverse and culturally sensitive company, on the other hand...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Loomer posted:

Books written in 2018 by a purportedly diverse and culturally sensitive company, on the other hand...
I am told they have websites and email in Australia even if the tube goes the other way around due to the Coriolis force.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

In Rage Across Australia, it comes to light that the reason the Uktenna didn't oppose the slaughter of the Bunyip and their aboriginal kinfolk is because they wanted to partake of all their sacred sites and the Bunyip said no.

After the war of tears uluru was swiftly scooped up by the uktenna, coincidentally.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Loomer posted:

Wait did they gently caress up Australia -twice-?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Not too badly. The new Book of Freeholds just has Uluru as a Glade controlled by a local changeling motley, which roams around in it wherever they like. This annoys me for two reasons:
1. As I mentioned, we have plenty of other sacred sites or awe-inspiring spots perfect for the role of an iconic Aussie glade.
2. Plenty of those sacred sites are not closed to people, including the traditional custodians, on the basis that they contain secret places for initiated men and women that no one else - no matter ethnicity or gender - is allowed to enter.

So it kind of rubs me hella wrong that they made it Uluru, and worse, decided to have their motley roam around freely in a place where that is 100% not allowed by custom or dreaming law. Doubly so since these are places to send your players. I know it's fiction, but there's not even a mention that the place is, y'know, sacred - literally not one. This is also a missed opportunity. If you had to include Uluru with a motley who go where they please inside, your story hook is already written: convince them to knock it the gently caress off. Said site is also infested with evil nightmare chimera because white people hosed Straya up (fair enough), which increases the frustation. No poo poo it's full of nightmare chimera, people are going where they aren't meant to go - it writes itself, if you had to include it, but there's nothing there at all.

I should also point out that Uluru really... Isn't that special, to be honest. It's sacred to the local people and had a role in initiatory rites, but outside of the Pitjantjatjara, it isn't terribly significant. It has exactly zero role to play in most Australian dreaming cosmology. Giving it this special role that OPP keeps doing as the 'sacred heart' of Australia or time itself (Shattered Dreams) or Australia's dreaming has far more to do with New Age nonsense and White Australia's co-opting of the site's actual significance than anything else.

Loomer fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 13, 2018