Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Worst fight I've ever had in 4e was a budget-appropriate batch of these fuckers:

Turns out a level 1 party is going to struggle against 4 enemies that take half damage from pretty much every attack (that a level 1 party has, at least), has everyone perma-proned, and deals 4d10+8 damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

as a 4e liker this is a very good meme and I had to share

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/982133363992444928

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

as a 4e liker this is a very good meme and I had to share

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/982133363992444928

https://twitter.com/KasimirUrbanski/status/982691846244663296

everyone's least favorite idiot

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Crotch posted:

Worst fight I've ever had in 4e was a budget-appropriate batch of these fuckers:

Turns out a level 1 party is going to struggle against 4 enemies that take half damage from pretty much every attack (that a level 1 party has, at least), has everyone perma-proned, and deals 4d10+8 damage.

My party nearly wiped against the Graveyard At Col Fen final encounter.

Honestly that magic skull thing is bullshit.

I really hate that man.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 8, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Nobody's going to reply to his idiotic comment and it will drown just like everything else he does.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Who is that moron?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Who is that moron?

Neo-Nazi and OSR creep RPGpundit, who's credited in the 5e rulebook for providing ~design feedback~ (i.e. helping Mearls make it more poo poo).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Apr 8, 2018

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O. I thought he was named Tarnowski or something. I must be out of the loop from the old grogs.txt days.

Thanks!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

O. I thought he was named Tarnowski or something. I must be out of the loop from the old grogs.txt days.

Thanks!

He is, but he's paranoid about publishing stuff under his real name, so he uses a number of pseudonyms that he pretends are his real name (and Kasimir Urbanski is one of them).

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

What's everyone's preferred way of running 4e as space?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Moriatti posted:

What's everyone's preferred way of running 4e as space?
Like, reskinning it to sci-fi? It should reskin just fine as long as the setting has personal deflector shields and vibroswords or some equivalent.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, reskinning specifically. I imagine lost technology also is something you would want to replace magic items?

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

Moriatti posted:

Yeah, reskinning specifically. I imagine lost technology also is something you would want to replace magic items?

It doesn’t have to be lost that’s the beauty of reskinning. It can be new, lost, alien, inter-dimensional, etc.. What issue do you think you have with reskinning to a sci-fi setting (assuming space = sci-fi)?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
With inherent bonuses on the table, magic items are a complete non-issue. Just like in standard fantasy. Give them item powers for equipment/boons/powers/alien abilities as you see fit.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean

give your druids claw gloves.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Dremcon posted:

It doesn’t have to be lost that’s the beauty of reskinning. It can be new, lost, alien, inter-dimensional, etc.. What issue do you think you have with reskinning to a sci-fi setting (assuming space = sci-fi)?

I was thinking Farscape/Steamworld so definitely Sci-Fi.

The main issue I have is the nature of Magic items, which are things that are powerful, somewhat ubiquitous and can't be regularly purchased.

Though I guess "they can but woah that price" leads to then being Heist targets and I would definitely want to encourage Heist so...

With reflavouring Wizard powers what would you guys suggest? I'm thinking suggesting stuff like bombardiers or even a Macguyver/Michael Weston (Garak if you want to be more on theme) type who improvised stuff and calls in favours.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spells as drones or nanites works, too.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Hologram projectors work for illusions.

Also, I'd argue that 4e doesn't really put magic items behind a wall of any kind. It's expected that the players can access nearly any item in the game as long as they have the gold/residium. And they're expected to get that at a pretty aggressive rate compared to something like 5e. Item creation is only locked behind a few feats and is pretty well defined.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I never really thought abput it that way but in retrospect you are not wrong.

Edit: Implements=toolkits usually then?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Implements are whatever your reskinned casters need to do their work. For a sorcerer that could be their grenade launcher.

Also: Warforged and Shardminds are robots and can embed implements as integrated components.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost
Toolkits, cyberdecks, Mass Effect's omni-tools, augmented reality goggles, whatever. Or yeah, even a suite of ranged weapons for blasty types.

If you're having a hard time or the effort is more than you want to put in, you could maybe look into one of the more generic 4e clones. I'm currently running a Star Wars/Shadowrun hybrid thing (with a setting we came up with in Microscope) in Strike! and it's been working well.

We've got a pair of gunslingers (Duelist/Striker and Archer/Striker), a shapeshifter/buddy cop movie protagonist (Buddies/Defender), mentalist (Warlord/Controller), and some kind of hybrid of the protagonists of Pushing Daisies (Necromancer/Leader). Gear is mostly abstracted so reskinning is a breeze, and it borrows a lot from Fate/*World, which is very much my jam.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Spells as drones or nanites works, too.
Any sufficiently advanced technology.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Moriatti posted:

With reflavouring Wizard powers what would you guys suggest? I'm thinking suggesting stuff like bombardiers or even a Macguyver/Michael Weston (Garak if you want to be more on theme) type who improvised stuff and calls in favours.

I would suggest asking the Wizard player what their character is doing and just treating it as what that character specifically is doing, instead of trying to systematically map D&D magic to a specific setting element (unless everyone else at the table wants to do that, obv).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 12, 2018

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Implements are whatever your reskinned casters need to do their work. For a sorcerer that could be their grenade launcher.

Also: Warforged and Shardminds are robots and can embed implements as integrated components.

Shardminds kinda work as is.....sentient crystals feel very sci-fiey

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My Lovely Horse posted:

Any sufficiently advanced technology.

Well played.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

ImpactVector posted:

If you're having a hard time or the effort is more than you want to put in, you could maybe look into one of the more generic 4e clones. I'm currently running a Star Wars/Shadowrun hybrid thing (with a setting we came up with in Microscope) in Strike! and it's been working well.

Oh, I love Strike! a lot, this is mostly thought exercise at this point, and me gaining ideas for gamesIwontgettorun.txt

I do like the idea of implements = heavy weapons for a lot of the blaster and striker mages

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
This might be a bit too obvious and someone already said it, but things like psychic powers show up in sci-fi. Even if it's only unlocked by technology

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Who was going to make that X-COM Strike! game? It's been a year or so but I still hink about how good of an idea that was.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I once played an enchanter mage as a hacker! It was a very short lived game - as most here are - but conceptually I think it works out perfectly.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I know I played in an X-com strike game that was supposed to be recorded, but it wasn't, then they DM disappeared.

Shame, too, that was pine of my best over the top heroic speeches I've ever given.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Impermanent posted:

Who was going to make that X-COM Strike! game? It's been a year or so but I still hink about how good of an idea that was.

The lead designer of Strike! is planning this IIRC, he should be getting on it after the monster manual releases, and I think he's just getting back into design after some family stuff.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

"This is no ordinary poster boy!
No ordinary poster!"
Has anyone played War of the Burning Sky or Zeitgeist in 4e? Is there anything I should know before DMing it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I'm about 6 adventures in to zeitgeist for 4e and a friend of mine is running us through wotbs on alternate weeks. Zeitgeist is pretty great so far. I haven't needed to tweak much of anything. Burning sky however has some older monster math and encounters which can need some work to make not over powered or a cakewalk and from what I've heard the difficulty only gets less and less threatening as it goes on.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Also if you're playing online and using fantasy grounds I have the first book completely converted for it if you want it

Edit:sorry for double post

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I've been playing Burning Skies, we're near the very end.

For the most part, everything is solidly beatable. It takes usually a series of unlucky happenstance to down someone in our game. Once you get used to the system and the party, making the encounters more interesting and/or more dangerous is probably ok, as long as you take some time to figure out exactly where you want to be. (This is a long game, you've got a lot of time to figure out the exact power levels, so don't rush it.)

I'd really suggest going with this link right here http://dmg42.blogspot.com/2012/02/boot-on-face-of-level-1-damage-forever.html and ramp the damage up a bit

There is, however, exactly one thing that's TOO hard

Boneshard skeletons in adventure 1 explode when killed. They explode with way too much damage, especially since PCs likely don't have the tools to avoid being in the area yet.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Nap Ghost

Free Triangle posted:

Has anyone played War of the Burning Sky or Zeitgeist in 4e? Is there anything I should know before DMing it.
Not sure how often they check the thread, but the OP dwarf74 ran Zeitgeist all the way through 1-30 AFAIK. At the very least you could glance through their post history in the thread.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

No ordinary poster!"
So we're playing Zeitgeist, the setting seems pretty good overall, but I'm worried that guns are underpowered. From levels 1-4 a bow/crossbow does more damage due to the standard reload time. The +1 average damage from brutal 2 isn't close to matching the damage you lose from reloading. Would using the increased 2w damage rules break the game?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Free Triangle posted:

So we're playing Zeitgeist, the setting seems pretty good overall, but I'm worried that guns are underpowered. From levels 1-4 a bow/crossbow does more damage due to the standard reload time. The +1 average damage from brutal 2 isn't close to matching the damage you lose from reloading. Would using the increased 2w damage rules break the game?

Are you referring to the optional "deadly guns" rules that Zeitgeist itself offers? We're using that and it's been fine. The reload makes them a once-and-done thing that doesn't break encounters.

Free Triangle
Jan 2, 2008

No ordinary poster!"

Spiteski posted:

Are you referring to the optional "deadly guns" rules that Zeitgeist itself offers? We're using that and it's been fine. The reload makes them a once-and-done thing that doesn't break encounters.

Yes, the problem I see happening is that by level 5 a gunsmith theme with clips can shoot 5-6 times before reloading as a minor/free action, essentially giving them a much harder hitting longbow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Were it not for the Gunsmith theme, the easy answer is simply "hand crossbows are totally now pistols!" and likewise for bigger crossbows.