Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Uhh, no they don't.

That's clearly how LORD OF BOOTY understood it and I've definitely seen it used that way before, unless your beef with me is saying "a lot" instead of "some"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Stupidest derail

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Working at Disney, at least about 4 years ago, was 50% cultists who could not forsee a better life than working there who artificially depressed the wages of the other 50% who were slowly reduced to spending their days fantasizing how to kill Mickey Mouse.

The vanishingly tiny group who move up in Disney are the part of the 50% who wanted to kill Mickey but now get their revenge by abusing every employee under them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
So it’s academia

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pick posted:

So it’s academia

No, just Academickia.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Barudak posted:

Working at Disney, at least about 4 years ago, was 50% cultists who could not forsee a better life than working there who artificially depressed the wages of the other 50% who were slowly reduced to spending their days fantasizing how to kill Mickey Mouse.

Wait. How did they reduce other people's wages?
I'm having trouble visualizing it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait. How did they reduce other people's wages?
I'm having trouble visualizing it.

"your hired"

"oh, wow! WOW! absolutely! It's such an honor, this has been my lifelong dream, working for disney! I've wanted this since I was a child!"

"we will pay you minimum wage then"

"awesome! anything! I'll pay you!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Exactly what Owl of Cream Cheese said.

Then Disney leverages that against the people below by telling you to work harder, youre overpayed (taking a market pay for the job) while other people understand the commitment to Disney and produce equal work.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

..That was rather obvious in hindsight. I'm sorry.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

It's certainly a problem the video game industry has as well. You think you deserve better than the piss-poor working conditions that game companies offer? There's like twenty beaming-faced graduates eager to take the spot you're being offered. You will take it, or you will leave it; those are your options.

Perhaps they might have it worse, since there's not really a video game developer union as yet (though there was a push for one at the last GDC a few weeks ago; we'll see where that goes, I guess). Not that I'm 100% sure how much of Disney's staff would be union, anyway. Actors for sure (SAG-AFTRA), but animators? IT guys? Random administrative clerks? Janitors?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
"Toe the line" means to conform strictly to the rules. If someone uses it to mean "push the boundaries", they are using it wrong and are probably a big stupid dummy.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Or maybe language evolves and changes over time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

dogsicle posted:

That's like insisting that "inflammable" means "not flammable" because "language evolves and changes over time". No, it's just wrong.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Shadow Hog posted:

Perhaps they might have it worse, since there's not really a video game developer union as yet (though there was a push for one at the last GDC a few weeks ago; we'll see where that goes, I guess). Not that I'm 100% sure how much of Disney's staff would be union, anyway. Actors for sure (SAG-AFTRA), but animators? IT guys? Random administrative clerks? Janitors?

yeah there's animation guilds/unions - white collar jobs such as clerks generally don't since the assumption is their work conditions are going to be miles better than the more labor-intensive jobs.

But yeah, there's something about Disney that attracts a lot of weird cultish behavior. I'm not sure who are the weirder fans, the adult princess fans, the ride-hogging "Gangs", or the Gravity Falls fans.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 11, 2018

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That's like insisting that "inflammable" means "not flammable" because "language evolves and changes over time". No, it's just wrong.

idk dude this is pedantic as hell and I think a single world like inflammable doesn't really work as an example in comparison to a more ambiguous idiom like toe the line. It could easily completely change meaning over time, since it already is a stage of being used "incorrectly" in colloquial settings. Fighting against that, and especially talking down to others because of it, seems dumb to me.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shadow Hog posted:

It's certainly a problem the video game industry has as well. You think you deserve better than the piss-poor working conditions that game companies offer? There's like twenty beaming-faced graduates eager to take the spot you're being offered. You will take it, or you will leave it; those are your options.

Much like how Disney/Pixar have some of the worst pay and working conditions of a major animation studio while DreamWorks has some of the best and is actually unionized, Nintendo is infamous for making it's employees work so late that they have to sleep under their desks while ignoring the creative input of everyone but the oldest of the old guard while Ubisoft has some of the best pay and vacation time on top of letting their creators make small self-guided UbiArts passion projects between big games. Companies cultivate those images because they know they will get people to do more work for less money in the name of some nebulous idealism.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Shadow Hog posted:

I read an article recently about a high end law firm where the new kids had to pay the company for the privilege of working there as an interns.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

dogsicle posted:

idk dude this is pedantic as hell and I think a single world like inflammable doesn't really work as an example in comparison to a more ambiguous idiom like toe the line. It could easily completely change meaning over time, since it already is a stage of being used "incorrectly" in colloquial settings. Fighting against that, and especially talking down to others because of it, seems dumb to me.

Aw, poo poo, more than X dummies are using a phrase to mean the exact opposite of what the phrase means, I guess we shouldn't try to educate them as to what the phrase means and instead accept that it can mean either thing and thus now means nothing at all

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ALFbrot posted:

Aw, poo poo, more than X dummies are using a phrase to mean the exact opposite of what the phrase means, I guess we shouldn't try to educate them as to what the phrase means and instead accept that it can mean either thing and thus now means nothing at all

No no, they're totally correct.

I'm using the phrase "totally correct" in the non-traditional sense of course, which means the opposite of what you old-fashioned squares think it does. :v:

("Old-fashioned squares" still means the same thing)

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I read an article recently about a high end law firm where the new kids had to pay the company for the privilege of working there as an interns.
Honest to God, when I was looking for employment right out of college, I was approached by a company who interviewed me then went on about how they wanted me to move out to California to go through their program and then get a guaranteed job afterward... but the red flag was that they were asking for an upfront cost. They don't pay you, you pay them.

Researching the company brought up a lot of former customers who revealed that said company taught their students how to plagiarize things to fluff up their resumes and land jobs that they were woefully unequipped to handle, and that attempting to get out of that would have the company sue the student, claiming that the cost that said student paid was actually significantly cheaper than the actual cost of what was being offered and that they should've been grateful for the opportunity to even get into this scam artist scene. This would leave said student broke, under litigation, and stuck in California, potentially far away from their home.

They left a voice message saying they'd approved me based on my interview and wanted me to call them back to move forward. I never did.

This was back in 2010, but the job market has seemingly not gotten much better. I wonder if that scam company is still preying upon those in need like that?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

Nintendo is infamous for making it's employees work so late that they have to sleep under their desks while ignoring the creative input of everyone but the oldest of the old guard while

This is innacurate. Nintendo never forced anyone to do this, it's something the employees did themselves. It's a Japanese work culture thing, which is a whole nother can of worms. Sakurai developed arthritis making the last Smash Bros and he's probably going to work himself to death working on the Switch one. And their current successes with Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Oddyssey took lots of input from the fresh new staff.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Never, ever follow your Dreams re: career.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

dogsicle posted:

Literally.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

Never, ever follow your Dreams re: career.

I followed mine but my dreams were to become wealthy and have titles and positions that allowed me to offload my day to day responsibilities to underlings. Im not really sure what i “do” but its nice.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shitpost

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Barudak posted:

I followed mine but my dreams were to become wealthy and have titles and positions that allowed me to offload my day to day responsibilities to underlings. Im not really sure what i “do” but its nice.

the american dream :911:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is innacurate. Nintendo never forced anyone to do this, it's something the employees did themselves. It's a Japanese work culture thing, which is a whole nother can of worms. Sakurai developed arthritis making the last Smash Bros and he's probably going to work himself to death working on the Switch one. And their current successes with Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Oddyssey took lots of input from the fresh new staff.

Recent success Splatoon was done almost entirely by a team of younger, newer guys.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Shitposting is my dream

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Barudak posted:

Are you hiring?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Barudak posted:

The vanishingly tiny group who move up in Disney are the part of the 50% who wanted to kill Mickey but now get their revenge by abusing every employee under them.

Did you work in their animation division or was this one of the corporate jobs where they call everyone "cast members"?

Guy Mann posted:

Much like how Disney/Pixar have some of the worst pay and working conditions of a major animation studio while DreamWorks has some of the best and is actually unionized, Nintendo is infamous for making it's employees work so late that they have to sleep under their desks while ignoring the creative input of everyone but the oldest of the old guard while Ubisoft has some of the best pay and vacation time on top of letting their creators make small self-guided UbiArts passion projects between big games. Companies cultivate those images because they know they will get people to do more work for less money in the name of some nebulous idealism.

Disney/Pixar are both union shops and only one of Dreamwork's campuses (the one that still exists) is union.

I have heard great things about working at Dreamworks though it's gotten worse now than they're offloading work to Mikros in Montreal and they're owned by Universal which has a more successful studio in Illumination/MacGuff.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 12, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Animation Thread 2018: Never, ever follow your Dreams

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ccs posted:

Did you work in their animation division or was this one of the corporate jobs where they call everyone "cast members"?

Not me, and corporate marketing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Not me, and corporate marketing.

I really wish I'd done corporate marketing, I speak well and am fast on my feet and friendly and have a very good boob:waist ratio, plus I love numbers and lying.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Detective No. 27 posted:

Guy who actually worked at Nintendo: It was the craziest crunch time that I've ever experienced in my development career.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If we're that off-topic, everybody watch Neo Yokio, it's one of the only good things that's ever happened.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Animation Thread 2018: Never, ever follow your Dreams

Dreamers are monsters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bate_tvVUpk

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Like he said, it's not unique to Nintendo, and it's a side effect of a) a thing in Japanese work culture where you absolutely do not ever go home before the boss, and b) Miyamoto being some sort of insane sleepless robot that never goes home.

Japanese labor culture is super super hosed and, while Nintendo isn't innocent of the problem, they also didn't exactly create it

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like he said, it's not unique to Nintendo, and it's a side effect of a) a thing in Japanese work culture where you absolutely do not ever go home before the boss, and b) Miyamoto being some sort of insane sleepless robot that never goes home.

Japanese labor culture is super super hosed and, while Nintendo isn't innocent of the problem, they also didn't exactly create it

and they're still nicer than a lot of companies that don't even pay workers properly for their overtime, and Konami that had practiced a lot of cruel shunning and other abusive behavior towards their development team (aside from Kojima's more famous exit, IGA was shuttled into the mobile development department but had basically not been allowed to work at all)

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Read through a few Japanese tweets related to a paper cup animation about being an overworked salaryman and it gets really depressing. The first two responses are a high schooler telling the animator that they want to die before growing up and his response was that "Not all companies are like this, this is just a work of fiction." At a friend's wedding, two of his friends that he invited told him about how they were chastised for taking time off. They had accrued time off, but even then it was enough, at separate jobs, constant pressure about not "skipping out on work." It's definitely not something I would put Nintendo at the forefront of just to make a point that misses the larger context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Crunch time is awful. I've been an animator for close to 4 years and only had 2 projects that had major crunch. The first was my first gig so I was fine to be working until 9 at night because i needed to get better. But the second project was lovely and I mostly ignored the overtime requests. The biggest toll was on the leads, some of whom worked 90 hour weeks for months.

Thankfully we will never have that client again thanks to them being acquired by a rival conglomerate.