Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

idgi

1984 reference?
am i supposed to be big brother?

well ur certainly big!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
i've never used maven, how complicated is writing a custom plugin for it?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

raminasi posted:

i've never used maven, how complicated is writing a custom plugin for it?

writing the plugin is very, very simple if you already understand the user side of maven in detail

if you have no idea what maven is for, what problems it solves, or how your existing project builds work, plugin authorship might be something of a challenge

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Gazpacho posted:

tweaked slightly to center the face in the frame

ok so i am still missing the point, on several levels

1. why is it only a partial view of my horrifying pox-eyed countenance
  2. is this a joke about communism?

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

many of your posts have a weird authoritarian/matter-of-fact vibe, maybe that's why

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Fiedler posted:

Note that project-specific code is totally supported by msbuild.

Msbuild lol. That's a good one.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Msbuild is inarguably the best build system ever.*

*that was produced by Microsoft and is XML based.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I don't know about C#, but I have literally never needed to touch msbuild with C++ and have never wanted to. If you're not using cmake and an appropriate binary artifact manager, just lol.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

RHEL is deprecating python 2 in their new release

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

hell its about time

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Boiled Water posted:

hell its about time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amy_RWpU8t4

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
python 3 is older than python 2 was when 3.0 came out

where’s python 4 :v

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

tinaun posted:

python 3 is older than python 2 was when 3.0 came out

where’s python 4 :v

they've learned their lesson

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

VikingofRock posted:

RHEL is deprecating python 2 in their new release

Good.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Gonna lol when everyone's nodejs bindings spontaneously stop building because of its retarded requirement on python 2.7 and no higher.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com

HappyHippo posted:

they've learned their lesson

Python 2.7's API remaining effectively unchanged for a decade did it more good than any of the new python 3 features.

Need to lock 3.7 and start working on a 4.0 they never plan to release.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TimWinter posted:

Python 2.7's API remaining effectively unchanged for a decade did it more good than any of the new python 3 features.

Need to lock 3.7 and start working on a 4.0 they never plan to release.

Need to stop making the language loving irrelevant with every x.0 release

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

One thing that C++ has on these dumb P langs- it's forward compatible

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qhat posted:

everything has that on python

perl tried for something similar, but both new and old fell into irrelevance before it could really take damage from that

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

everything has that on python

perl tried for something similar, but both new and old fell into irrelevance before it could really take damage from that

IMO Perl is underrated. I still love the fact that regex support is the most amazing I've ever seen in one language, but it's a pity that's the only good thing about it

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

qhat posted:

are you sure about that?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

qhat posted:

still not worth it

like, at all

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

qhat posted:

Gonna lol when everyone's nodejs bindings spontaneously stop building because of its retarded requirement on python 2.7 and no higher.

i'm the scripting language with multiple build systems more complicated than most tax codes

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So I'm a little confused by this discussion. Do python minor versions introduce breaking changes?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

VikingofRock posted:

So I'm a little confused by this discussion. Do python minor versions introduce breaking changes?

Depends on what you consider a breaking change

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ericlippert/2012/01/09/every-public-change-is-a-breaking-change/

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I don't have enough Python code to run into true breaking changes in minor versions, but every time I make a minor/patch release with changes to internal implementation, I wonder how many issues will get opened because someone depended on some implementation detail.

I am at the point where I am considering a semi-malicious (e.g. randomly shuffling returned values if there are no ordering guarantees) implementation of things, to prevent people from depending on implementation details :v:

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

VikingofRock posted:

they are about to break the type attributes iirc by making them strings, but that is all 'experimental' if you will (also some asyncio stuff is still changing)

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Xarn posted:

I don't have enough Python code to run into true breaking changes in minor versions, but every time I make a minor/patch release with changes to internal implementation, I wonder how many issues will get opened because someone depended on some implementation detail.

I am at the point where I am considering a semi-malicious (e.g. randomly shuffling returned values if there are no ordering guarantees) implementation of things, to prevent people from depending on implementation details :v:

golang did this and people complained it wasn't random enough

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
dicts preserve insert order in 3.6 and officially in 3.7

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Sweeper posted:

they are about to break the type attributes iirc by making them strings, but that is all 'experimental' if you will (also some asyncio stuff is still changing)

what's this about breaking type attributes?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

tef posted:

so collections.ordereddict not needed anymore?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Blinkz0rz posted:

so collections.ordereddict not needed anymore?

depends. if you only care about iteration then they’re the same now, but if you care about equality then they’re different - dict equality is just “do they have the same key/value pairs”, ordereddict equality also requires the order to be the same.

xPanda posted:

in 3.6 they’re parsed and names are resolved at the point of declaration, unless you explicitly make them be strings. in 3.7 (if you add a from __future__ import) they’re always left as strings unless something explicitly asks for them to be parsed.

not sure it’s a big deal tbh, as a dev who only uses them because it helps pycharm be useful it doesn’t seem likely to break anything I care about

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
from balls import pee

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

xPanda posted:

I looked this up after it was mentioned. An overview is here and the PEP is here. It's not really a breaking change because you opt-in to the new behavior per-module with an import. So no existing python 3.6 code is affected by this change. In python 3.8+, there will be deprecation warning raised for code not using the import, but again I wouldn't really consider that a breaking change.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

tef posted:

https://github.com/golang/go/issues/5362

"It is an inconvenience for me since my map contains only a few keys and I need a random key."

haha nice

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

tef posted:

no what the hell

that’s as bad as calling dictionaries “hashes,” it winds up implying too much about implementation that people then depend on and can then therefore never change

what are these people smoking

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.
Even if you put a sentence in the docs saying "the order is not defined," people are going to depend on the specific behavior of the implementation anyway -- most unknowingly.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

tef posted:

Dylan16807 posted:

https://github.com/golang/go/issues/5362

"It is an inconvenience for me since my map contains only a few keys and I need a random key."

haha nice

:eng99:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
iirc development builds of .net randomise things like string.GetHashCode() to stop the framework devs from accidentally relying on implementation details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
python 3 started randomizing PYHASHSEED (which is the seed for the language hash() function that determines object identity and then everything that determines that, e.g. dict ordering and like half the language) on interpreter startup which is kinda similar i guess?