Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
It seems ridiculous, but I also sort of believe it there’s something magical about the senko rate of fall that drives bass wild.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Trip Report: first two bass hits of the year today.

It’s warm-ish where you live the bass will be in pre-spawn and should be more aggressively chasing lures, pick up a spinner bait or two and try that, they’re very easy to get hooksets on as you’re already reeling it in when the bass hits it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

bongwizzard posted:

It seems ridiculous, but I also sort of believe it there’s something magical about the senko rate of fall that drives bass wild.

Like I said, I quit using plastics years ago because of my lousy success rate with them (always had a lot more luck on a broken-back Rapala minnow and black Jitterbug I've had for 25 years), but one day screwing with a Senko was enough to get me onboard.

bongwizzard posted:

It’s warm-ish where you live the bass will be in pre-spawn and should be more aggressively chasing lures, pick up a spinner bait or two and try that, they’re very easy to get hooksets on as you’re already reeling it in when the bass hits it.

Awesome; picked up two beetlespins today since they're one of the few lures I can buy while unemployed.

On a semi-related note, a public service announcement: if your kids are unable to communicate without shouting, keep them the gently caress away from other people while fishing.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I want to take my kayak out so bad but 30ish degree morning weather here in NC/SC just does not sound like a fun time.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

hagie posted:

I want to take my kayak out so bad but 30ish degree morning weather here in NC/SC just does not sound like a fun time.

Yeah I wanted to take mine out in the Raleigh NC area on Thursday but it was 43 degrees and I tried on Friday with 75 degrees but 20+mph wind......

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rythe posted:

Yeah I wanted to take mine out in the Raleigh NC area on Thursday but it was 43 degrees and I tried on Friday with 75 degrees but 20+mph wind......

It's really been a fun winter/fake spring hasn't it? Late March/early April has been a warm water bass-a-thon for most years I remember (prior to my weird hiatus the last 8 or 9 years anyway), but this year the water hasn't even cracked 55 degrees in the Cape Fear yet.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I just want to get out and find the crappie already, I have a ton of oil left from Thanksgiving that requires one more use for a fish fry.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rythe posted:

I just want to get out and find the crappie already, I have a ton of oil left from Thanksgiving that requires one more use for a fish fry.

The best crappie lake I know of (with the advantage of being less than 2 miles away and largely unfished due to being a "private" lake with a "residents and guests only" park that no one bothered to kick you out of) had it's dam blown out in Hurricane Matthew and remains unrepaired :smith: The creek that's left is maybe 6 inches deep.

Pictured: the last bass I took out of that lake. Poor guy choked on it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Thanks wacky-rigged senko for the first bass of the year, you've made a believer out of me

Much bigger one I spotted later on appeared to be guarding the nest and was uninterested in anything

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Thanks wacky-rigged senko for the first bass of the year, you've made a believer out of me

Much bigger one I spotted later on appeared to be guarding the nest and was uninterested in anything

Bong and I have used plenty of plastics from other manufacturers and senkos just seem to work better. It feels like 20% more bites, somewhere around there for me.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, especially when wacky rigged, Senkos just seem to outperform everything else. However, a ton of people put the BPS house brand stick worm at a close second, and they are wildly cheaper enough it’s probably worth giving them a go.

Being dumb hipster, I have invested heavily in the more obscure Yamamoto Kut-tail worms and I’m going to try them alongside senkos this year to see how they stack up.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

BPS stik-os were definitely what I was comparing them to. They will catch fish, they do have a very off putting rubbery smell though. I have a latex allergy and they haven't killed me yet, but it is a little concerning

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Smell is apparently the weakest of a bass’s senses, and one could always squirt a little Megastrike in to the worm bag one wanted to be sure.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

bongwizzard posted:

Smell is apparently the weakest of a bass’s senses, and one could always squirt a little Megastrike in to the worm bag one wanted to be sure.

That's good to know. It is VERY overpowering when you open the bag and when you feel them it is very clear that they have a much different composition despite looking the same

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I can vouch for the BPS senkos aka stik-os. Those and Zoom double ringers account for like 99% of the fish I catch.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Iirc the salt used in worms is far more expensive then the raw plastic, which is why less expensive worms usually have way less salt then senkos do. If you poke around on tacklemaking forums you can find the formula to more or less re-create a senko pretty perfectly.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Visiting okeechobee with my dad and my dad's friend. I've normally used crankbaits and spinnerbaits while freshwater fishing, but both of those are poor options in 1-2ft of water with the heavy cover we're running into. I've been using a 1 1/2oz okeechobee craw punching rig with a green pumpkin or a black and blue beaver tail on one rod and a 1/2oz texas rigged black and blue sanshou on another, both to decent effect. Its definately a learning experience. New water, new structure and conditions, new techniques. In 4 days, I've managed to pull a couple of small largemouths out of the lake, my dad's buddy has pulled 4 largemouths and a garr out and my dad is still trailing behind at only one largemouth. Its good times. :cheers:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Elmnt80 posted:

Visiting okeechobee with my dad and my dad's friend. I've normally used crankbaits and spinnerbaits while freshwater fishing, but both of those are poor options in 1-2ft of water with the heavy cover we're running into. I've been using a 1 1/2oz okeechobee craw punching rig with a green pumpkin or a black and blue beaver tail on one rod and a 1/2oz texas rigged black and blue sanshou on another, both to decent effect. Its definately a learning experience. New water, new structure and conditions, new techniques. In 4 days, I've managed to pull a couple of small largemouths out of the lake, my dad's buddy has pulled 4 largemouths and a garr out and my dad is still trailing behind at only one largemouth. Its good times. :cheers:

I would love to fish okeechobee at some point. I have a friend in Orlando and am thinking of using her place as a base camp to get some Florida fishing time in. I don’t think I would try O without a guide at first, I wonder if there are any kayak guides who do okeechobee?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Quite possibly. Alot of the water I've been fishing has been prime kayak territory, you'd just have to be ready to paddle a few miles to get anywhere. Or have a small trolling motor ready to go. The other issue would be wind. You'd be adjusting where you're going depending on wind speed and direction due to the sheer size of the lake. Its a big god drat lake.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Weather's been really nice this week, hopefully it'll stay that way through the weekend...

...FUUUCKKKK YOOOOUUUU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I am in a situation at work where I am not accruing anymore PTO because I am at max hours, and we can’t cash them in.

Random days off time!

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

so I guess it's unofficially official I'm moving to friggin Greenville NC in the next couple of months. The only part of it that I'm not conflicted about is that I can do fresh, brackish, and saltwater fishing all within a 30min drive :getin:

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

so I guess it's unofficially official I'm moving to friggin Greenville NC in the next couple of months. The only part of it that I'm not conflicted about is that I can do fresh, brackish, and saltwater fishing all within a 30min drive :getin:

Hell yeah man you will be a hour down the road from me. Do you have a kayak?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Rythe posted:

Hell yeah man you will be a hour down the road from me. Do you have a kayak?

Nope...as a fat dude, me and small boats do not mix. Apparently they rent some kind of small johnboat out at River Park North that I'm tempted to try out though

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Nope...as a fat dude, me and small boats do not mix. Apparently they rent some kind of small johnboat out at River Park North that I'm tempted to try out though

I am not small by any means, definitely not Kevin Smith either. 6'4" ~300lbs I fit in my Vibe Sea Ghost fine. I bought it because of the 425+lb capacity.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

hagie posted:

I am not small by any means, definitely not Kevin Smith either. 6'4" ~300lbs I fit in my Vibe Sea Ghost fine. I bought it because of the 425+lb capacity.

Ooh. Well I may be willing to give it a try then, since River Park North has a bunch of small lakes where I could easily swim to safety. Not fond of boats in general due to having an utter terror of drowning/being adrift, but I'd give it a shot in that sort of setting.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

My Hobie tops out at 400lbs and that is a bit of weight even with gear, plus it's wide so it is comfortable to fish in.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Go to lake I have had almost nil luck in, only pulling out a single robin out of 7 or 8 visits in the last 4 months. First friggin' cast tossin' that Senko out:

I don't care if he's only 10 inches and his mouth ain't much bigger than the 3/0 hook, my day was made.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Go to lake I have had almost nil luck in, only pulling out a single robin out of 7 or 8 visits in the last 4 months. First friggin' cast tossin' that Senko out:

I don't care if he's only 10 inches and his mouth ain't much bigger than the 3/0 hook, my day was made.

Told ya. Senkos work. If you want, try the BPS stik-os once you get a few more. I'd love to know what your experience is with them.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Told ya. Senkos work. If you want, try the BPS stik-os once you get a few more. I'd love to know what your experience is with them.

Poverty may force me to try them instead; even that rinky dink 10 incher blew the senko in half.

Question for those in the know: am I correct in assuming a population of large shiners in a small/medium lake means that the bass/jack population is lacking? Because if a shiner can grow to 8 or 11 inches in a relatively small lake, I get the feeling there ain't much out to eat them.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Poverty may force me to try them instead; even that rinky dink 10 incher blew the senko in half.

Question for those in the know: am I correct in assuming a population of large shiners in a small/medium lake means that the bass/jack population is lacking? Because if a shiner can grow to 8 or 11 inches in a relatively small lake, I get the feeling there ain't much out to eat them.

Generally, a LMB can eat a fish about 1/3 of it’s own length. I’m not sure what kind of Shiner you’re talking about, but an 8-11” shad will absolutely be prayed upon by 3-4 pound bass, and lakes a large population of shad can hold very large bass as they have plenty of calories to let them grow.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

bongwizzard posted:

Generally, a LMB can eat a fish about 1/3 of it’s own length. I’m not sure what kind of Shiner you’re talking about,

These doofuses who are maddeningly annoying when you're going after sunfish.

bongwizzard posted:

but an 8-11” shad will absolutely be prayed upon by 3-4 pound bass, and lakes a large population of shad can hold very large bass as they have plenty of calories to let them grow.

Awesome, good to know; wasn't sure if it was the same sort of dinky bluegill/bass ratio or not and I have yet to pull anything out of that lake besides an okay-sized jack and a bluegill. Went freshwater cast-netting today and got into a swarm of them 4-6 inches long.

I also had my cast net bucket and bait bucket get blown into the lake by a sudden gust of wind in front of like 5 people, one of whom helpfully retrieved both using his bottom rig. Whoops.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Has anyone here played with any ark rods yet? Their 7'6" MH Viper looks drat near perfect for what I want to do with it, mostly texas rigs and the like. Limited reviews since the company has only been around since 2017, but the few I do find say its not the lightest, but its super well balanced. It would be paired with a lews mach reel. Yes, I know I'm a pretty pretty princess for picking out a rod and reel that match, but I have had the chance to handle the reel and it feels almost as nice as the revo mgs I have.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
There’s nothing wrong with being pretty.

Also, I have not heard much about Ark, although what I have has been favorable..

I see it this way, there are companies out there that have been around for decades and decades, so with them you sort of know what you’re getting, As there will generally be 1 million words written online about any specific rod you’re looking for.

There’s been an explosion of new rod manufacturers in the last decade or so, so it’s sort of up to you if you want to roll the dice with a new and untested brand. I want to say TackelTour did a review of one of their budget priced rods maybe a few months ago?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

True. Every rod or reel I've owned has been penn, quantum or abu garcia and I've generally never been disappointed in them. But, I think I'm willing to give them a chance given the positive stuff I've read about them. Only real issue comes from not being able to handle the rod before I buy it due to the lack of physical retailers. But I like supporting local companies whenever possible so thats a bonus to me.

However it may not match the reel since while out today I stopped by a newly opened tackle shop and scored a deal on a lews mach crush reel. $160 reel for $112. They had gotten a left handed crush combo in with a snapped rod earlier that day and rather than send it back, offered to sell it to me. Orange reel on a black rod with green trim. :toot:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Elmnt80 posted:

Orange reel on a black rod with green trim. :toot:

The horror!

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!

The old man landed a 10 pounder this morning on a double ringer. He hooked another that was pretty close to the same size but it got off at the boat. Caught around 20 between the 2 of us.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

"gee, the weather is kind of nasty. I'll forgo the live bait lines and just trot out there with a worm real quick, probably a waste of time". Welp.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Nice dude! Always a good feeling to avoid getting skunked.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

"gee, the weather is kind of nasty. I'll forgo the live bait lines and just trot out there with a worm real quick, probably a waste of time". Welp.

Senkos, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Senkos, man.

more success in three weeks than I've had in 30 years on other soft plastics. gently caress you, Texas-rigged bullshit. Hell, only the black jitterbug and rapala minnow have even come close.

Anyone else here use the badly-written atrociously-named "Fishidy"?