Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

what r ur opinions on the goofy movie?

Probably David Lynch's finest work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

At the end of The Road, he bought the road

It's a good thing he wasn't in Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ignite Memories posted:

He resurfaced the road himself using techniques he learnt from a roadie

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Arcsquad12 posted:

It has Omar Sharif for goodness sake.
So does the Annual Palm Springs Bridge Tournament at the Desert Sun Resort and, believe me, it's not a good thing.

EmmyOk posted:

He resurfaced the road himself using techniques he learnt from a roadie
And that road? Daniel Day-Lewis.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Day-Lewis and Mortensen can never act together because they would immediately abandon filming and found an 1800s rural farming village in Alaska the second you looked away

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Viggo and Brad Pitt formed a charity group to fight adult illiteracy

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Smiling Jack posted:

Viggo and Brad Pitt formed a charity group to fight adult illiteracy

That's nice and I hope Brad eventually learns how.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Push El Burrito posted:

That's nice and I hope Brad eventually learns how.
Hahahahaha.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
My first exposure to Viggo Mortensen was as Lucifer in The Prophecy. He was up against Christopher Walken as an unhinged Gabriel and still owned every scene he was in.
I watched Hildalgo because of Viggo and I was not disappointed.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

My first exposure to Viggo Mortensen was as Lucifer in The Prophecy. He was up against Christopher Walken as an unhinged Gabriel and still owned every scene he was in.
I watched Hildalgo because of Viggo and I was not disappointed.

I also saw the Prophecy movies (plural) and did not make that connection at all.

Need to rewatch those.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ignite Memories posted:

I thought at the end of The Road he bought the farm?

The Road spoilers.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

syscall girl posted:

I also saw the Prophecy movies (plural) and did not make that connection at all.

Need to rewatch those.

I love me some Chris Walken, but hoo boy just stick with the first one.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
mad max fury road, thats a pretty cool detail

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

datajugend posted:

i wondered about this

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

That's really neat!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

datajugend posted:

It's funny, that movie has a very large following in the Automotive Insanity forum and I don't think anyone even mentioned that when we were talking about it, because it was obvious to everyone there. Often when you get into a bubble of people who all have a similar hobby, you start assuming a baseline level of knowledge that is actually fairly esoteric.

Like the first time they did that when praying in front of the altar made out of steering wheels, I thought to myself "oh he's making a V8 with his fingers, neat!".

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Memento posted:

It's funny, that movie has a very large following in the Automotive Insanity forum and I don't think anyone even mentioned that when we were talking about it, because it was obvious to everyone there. Often when you get into a bubble of people who all have a similar hobby, you start assuming a baseline level of knowledge that is actually fairly esoteric.

Like the first time they did that when praying in front of the altar made out of steering wheels, I thought to myself "oh he's making a V8 with his fingers, neat!".

They made tomato and vegetable juice drink in the movie?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Memento posted:

He even says "V8" at the end of his prayer, where "Amen" would be.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

MariusLecter posted:

They made tomato and vegetable juice drink in the movie?

It’s subtle, but since water is scarce everyone drinks V8.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Not really subtle but in The Death of Stalin I really appreciated the scene where they record the concerto and the on lady they dragged in off the street was muching on pickled eggs like popcorn.
I also really liked the unspoken juxtaposition of Molotov's apartment, where it is a beautiful building on the outside but inside the walls are total crap and they didn't event bother to hide the lack of insulation behind the tile work.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I simply love the delivery of just that one word.

"You."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3kBWP231hI&t=0m49s

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
In the latest Bob’s Burgers episode, go Tina on the mountain, the carpet in the Lucky Lizard lounge is the carpet from the shining.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Davros1 posted:

I simply love the delivery of just that one word.

"You."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3kBWP231hI&t=0m49s

Fuckin High Five Buddy! I knew exactly what this was before even clicking the link!

I say it like this all the time and everybody just thinks I'm a nutjob.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A nice thing I caught watching Big Lebowski. Right before Donny dies of a heart attack, you can visibly watch him deteriorate in the background. While his shock at missing a strike is in your face, if you watch his body language from then until he collapses you can see him getting worse and feeling himself over to see what's wrong.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

A nice thing I caught watching Big Lebowski. Right before Donny dies of a heart attack, you can visibly watch him deteriorate in the background. While his shock at missing a strike is in your face, if you watch his body language from then until he collapses you can see him getting worse and feeling himself over to see what's wrong.

The Coen Brothers are masters of subtle movie moments. every time I watch one of their films, I notice poo poo I never picked up on before.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

From The Greatest Showman.

When Barnham is arranging the tour with Jenny Lind, Phillip is incredulous that he wants a sixty-piece orchestra. Barnham replies with "Just get the cheapest musicians you can!"

A huge group of cheap musicians is clearly not going to sound as good as a smaller group of expensive ones. It's a nice nod to the fact that he still measures his success by being the biggest and most impressive, rather than having any kind of artistic integrity.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
When McLeod uses his body as a human shield to save the girl getting shot up by a Nazi in Highlander he ends up lying on her bleeding profusely and she's all "why aren't you dead?"

His response "Hey, it's a kind of magic"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
In In The Loop there is a scene where Chad is trying to suck up to Linton by carrying around a tennis racket. This is a reference back to The Thick of It where Hugh is trying to one up his peers by bragging about playing cricket with the PM.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

syscall girl posted:

When McLeod uses his body as a human shield to save the girl getting shot up by a Nazi in Highlander he ends up lying on her bleeding profusely and she's all "why aren't you dead?"

This is only in the extended cut, which almost nobody's seen unfortunately.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DandyLion posted:

It's in the cut that's on Hulu.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

syscall girl posted:

Is that...a reference to the Queen song in the soundtrack?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's a line from the film that Queen thought would work well as a song title and lyric.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Sunswipe posted:

It's a line from the film that Queen thought would work well as a song title and lyric.

Its the name of the Album that was spawned from the movie. As mentioned above, the scene was removed from the theatrical cut, and most people haven't seen the uncut version that has the line (except for that Hooloo service or whatever the kids are calling it nowadays)....

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Does that mean at some point Sean Connery asks, "Who wantesh to livesh foreverrsh?"

I never saw the film, but I had the album back in the 80's. Go figure.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Does that mean at some point Sean Connery asks, "Who wantesh to livesh foreverrsh?"

No, but it is a line from Flash Gordon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrizm2Bg31M&t=137s

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Aye

Basically everyone makes a Queen reference and when a Queen song isn't playing there's a musical cue

Thish shword is Egypshun

Moneypenny bring my Ashton Martin around to the dry cleaner

I've been making GBS threads in these sheats for days

You heard me woman

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

DandyLion posted:

Is this one of these things where the UK cut of the film is different from the US? Like how Army of Darkness had a different ending? Because I swear that scene is in the cut of the film (on VHS) I grew up watching. As far as I remember the box didnt mention it being an extended cut or anything. The only extended version of a highlander film I've seen is the renegade edition of highlander two which... Well, it tries. If I remember correctly the directors commentary features the director basically apologizing for the film and coming up with excuses as to why it sucks.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

In In The Loop there is a scene where Chad is trying to suck up to Linton by carrying around a tennis racket. This is a reference back to The Thick of It where Hugh is trying to one up his peers by bragging about playing cricket with the PM.

Speaking of In The Loop...

Several characters reference the fact that Linton 'uses a live grenade as a paperweight', and one seems genuinely concerned when another threatens to pull the pin. It's clearly intended to reinforce what a tough operator he is.

In one scene the grenade is positioned with the bottom facing the audience, and it quite clearly has a hole in it. Meaning it's been emptied out and is a totally harmless bit of memorabilia. Linton probably started the rumours to help his image.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DandyLion posted:

It wasn't in the version that was on TV and VHS in the 90s, but every DVD and Blu Ray I've ever seen of Highlander is the extended cut.

And if I'm remembering correctly, it is one of those movies that had a significantly different cut in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Yeah I've never seen a version without it. It's one of the best moments in the film imo.