Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Sevtech: Is there a decent fluid storage option I'm missing?
I'm in late(?) Age 3 and built a pumpjack+distillation tower, and I've got about two dozen Buildcraft all-glass tanks scattered around for creosote, oil, lubricant, gasoline, etc. They're not particularly intuitive and a better option, especially that takes up less space, would be great. I searched JEI for tank, fluid, barrel, etc. and can't find anything better, unless I guess if I decide to invest pretty heavily in Blood Magic.

I'm pretty sure immersive engineering has some sort of multiblock tank structure, though I suppose that doesn't really help the "take up less space" part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im not a fan of MSb3

To me there was too much bullshit and not enough payoff. I must be getting old or something.

I sort of wish regrowth was updated to the latest.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Meskhenet posted:

Im not a fan of MSb3

To me there was too much bullshit and not enough payoff. I must be getting old or something.

I sort of wish regrowth was updated to the latest.

Count me in the opposite camp; MSB3 has been great. Staged mode is basically the perfect 'go through these mods, you only have a few concrete goals in each' sort of thing. Also, not loving with the recipes themselves is a major improvement compared to most mods that force you into doing that. You can get a lot of resources quickly via SkyResources, and so working through each mod becomes a pretty natural progression and really helped me learn more about some of the mods like Mekanism.

It's not as good as some other modpacks (It's no blightfall), and honestly I'm a bit over skyblocks compared to like...dirt islands or something. I think PO3 had that option and it was really nice. But overall it's probably one of my favorite I've done in a while.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

Count me in the opposite camp; MSB3 has been great. Staged mode is basically the perfect 'go through these mods, you only have a few concrete goals in each' sort of thing. Also, not loving with the recipes themselves is a major improvement compared to most mods that force you into doing that. You can get a lot of resources quickly via SkyResources, and so working through each mod becomes a pretty natural progression and really helped me learn more about some of the mods like Mekanism.

It's not as good as some other modpacks (It's no blightfall), and honestly I'm a bit over skyblocks compared to like...dirt islands or something. I think PO3 had that option and it was really nice. But overall it's probably one of my favorite I've done in a while.

It should be.

But not knowing what unlocks what is a pain. Not giving any questbook indication what stuff does, reward crates that straight up suck.

The payout just wasnt worth it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Sounds like what you wanted wasn't a challenge modpack, but a tutorial modpack.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Sounds like what you wanted wasn't a challenge modpack, but a tutorial modpack.

The gated mode hardly counts as a challenge pack, or does it these days?

But any pack that has a quest book, needs to have those quests form an internal progression. MSB3 doesnt have that.

So no, not a tutorial pack, but a progression pack with progression.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

The gated mode hardly counts as a challenge pack, or does it these days?

But any pack that has a quest book, needs to have those quests form an internal progression. MSB3 doesnt have that.

So no, not a tutorial pack, but a progression pack with progression.

It does, though? The quests follow the progression of each mod they touch on. Like, the botania one instructs you to make floral fertilizer, then a pure daisy, then an endoflame, etc., with quests for each one. I don't really understand the gripe here.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'd say it's tutorial-ish. It does guide you through all the steps of the various mods, but I don't feel that it explains why you're doing this stuff very well.

Of course, that's the usual issue of "Minecraft folks don't know how to write documentation." I mean, hell, Forestry just finally got an in-game manual.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'd say it's tutorial-ish. It does guide you through all the steps of the various mods, but I don't feel that it explains why you're doing this stuff very well.

Of course, that's the usual issue of "Minecraft folks don't know how to write documentation." I mean, hell, Forestry just finally got an in-game manual.

In-game documentation? Are you saying that random YouTube tutorials are somehow inadequate?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Honestly, Mischief of Mice does really good mod spotlights/guides, but a video isn't anywhere as useful as wiki or even a flat document. The problem is that a lot of mod authors don't know how to write documentation and/or just sort of offload things onto a wiki and expect everyone else to do the work.

Thank god for the Thermal Expansion wiki, is all I'm sayin'.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The reward crates in MSB3 are shite, wow cat ears and a tick killing walrus again, wow thanks Obama.

The rewards from PO2 ruined me, and I actually liked chance cubes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

AceClown posted:

The reward crates in MSB3 are shite, wow cat ears and a tick killing walrus again, wow thanks Obama.

The rewards from PO2 ruined me, and I actually liked chance cubes.

Chance cubes were awful, what are you saying. I deliberately set off about a hundred far away from my base and while some of the effects are neat (biodome creation! ore columns!) it doesn't excuse the "gently caress you, you're dead" and "gently caress you AND your base, draconic reactor meltdown" ones.

But yes, the reward bags in MSB2 and 3 were never worth it either.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's a weird thing in MSB3 where the common lootbags seem to drop better stuff than the rare ones.

Loot chests from quests seem to scale to how far along you are in the tree, though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly, Mischief of Mice does really good mod spotlights/guides, but a video isn't anywhere as useful as wiki or even a flat document. The problem is that a lot of mod authors don't know how to write documentation and/or just sort of offload things onto a wiki and expect everyone else to do the work.

The worst sin of video tutorials is they cannot be searched. If I am trying to figure out how the Orthogonal Taint Scraper from Entendrecraft works, and the only source of documentation is a video, I have to skip around a 45 minute video of some nerd breathing nasally as an excuse for speech until I find the 20 seconds that are relevant to my immediate needs.

Astral Sorcery is the thing I've had the most trouble understanding so far. It turns out that the Containment Chalice is super fuckin' useful when comboed with a Starlight Infuser -- it automatically refills the little liquid starlight wells around the multiblock. However, the in-game book's attempt to describe it was too encumbered with flavor language to actually express this. I had to have some person in a chat room spoonfeed me what it was.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The worst sin of video tutorials is they cannot be searched. If I am trying to figure out how the Orthogonal Taint Scraper from Entendrecraft works, and the only source of documentation is a video, I have to skip around a 45 minute video of some nerd breathing nasally as an excuse for speech until I find the 20 seconds that are relevant to my immediate needs.
Yeah, I'm 100% in agreement here. That's why I wish there were more people doing stuff like Botania's "put the full text of the in-game documentation on a web site" thing.

The worst offenders are the mods whose pages say "just look everything up in JEI/make the in-game book and it'll tell you everything".

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It does, though? The quests follow the progression of each mod they touch on. Like, the botania one instructs you to make floral fertilizer, then a pure daisy, then an endoflame, etc., with quests for each one. I don't really understand the gripe here.

The botania one does indeed tell you what to do next. The botania book spells out why you need foral fert, then a pure daisy and then endoflames. The botania ingame documentation is great. If you ever needed to get some information (not supplied in the quest book) you can very easily get it.

Botania is also endgame mechanics if you want to go that route. You can set up a decent storage system/ore duplication/transmutation, while having a host of useful rods and tools.

This then for some reason progresses you onto psi/the ectoplasm mod/chaos mod.

Why? What do any of those have that is a step up from botania?

These then progress you into astral sorcery. (Which the very first, well 2nd, crafting table doesnt apear in JEI so open up google unless youve already done this mod to death) which does???? free sand. looks pretty. Has a few attunements that are nice to have.

All the while getting cat ears for the trouble.

As for the tech side, i got up to tech reborn (which keeps its retarded ic2 mechanics) but when it came down to it, why bother setting up an extra space for all the machines when sky resources with tert lvl dust will get you more resources faster, other than the alloying and a few other tiny bits and pieces (most of which were done with greater ease in large quantities with tinkers)

Then lets look at storage. Yes, craft each colossal chest. Why? well you cant have too many of these things floating around right? At least in msb2 you used the last one and progressed up. But we arent altering recipies so cant do that.

MSB3 is a kitchen sink pack. The progression option isnt well thought out/executed, i havent tried the 3rd option. (but keep in mind i managed to get to the creative items stage of MSB2) and i dont see it as a challenge pack or a progression pack.

And got bored pretty fast :/

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

So what mod should have "stepped up" from Botania?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

So what mod should have "stepped up" from Botania?

better question is what mods should have progressed to botania

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
"Make the in game book" is pretty drat good direction if the in game book is worth a damned. And if they can't make a manual worth a damned, odds are good their attempt at their own website is going to be trashy, too. That's not really a solution for the mod authors being bad at documentation thing.

Thermal Expansion and Ender IO are textbook use cases for how you can almost completely eliminate the need for normal documentation if your tooltips are good enough. TE is just really tightly designed and I've never once felt like I had to go look at a video or a wiki to figure out how something worked, although I occasionally did anyway to clarify something.

MSB3 isn't intended to be an expert pack, although it has a lot in common with those people tend to think of as one. Try Crimson Skies.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Astral Sorcery is the thing I've had the most trouble understanding so far. It turns out that the Containment Chalice is super fuckin' useful when comboed with a Starlight Infuser -- it automatically refills the little liquid starlight wells around the multiblock. However, the in-game book's attempt to describe it was too encumbered with flavor language to actually express this. I had to have some person in a chat room spoonfeed me what it was.
Astral Sorcery has an incredibly cool and robust book with possibly the worst copy I've ever seen in a big mod. It's so flowery and focused on "lore" there are entire entries I cannot for the life of me decipher. The book spends paragraph after paragraph describing how light refracts through cloudless lenses and liquid starlight enhances it to bring out mysterious qualities in certain types of crystals when focused through the proper configuration but I'd rather it just says what it loving means and tells me I gotta link a collector crystal to a lens.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I'm convinced the Actually Additions mod's atomic reconstructor's lens of disruption doesn't actually exist.

I just can't get it to work. I'm using 1.10.2

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I always enjoy the mandatory 15 minute tour of "stuff I've done since the last video"
I know you're here to puzzle out how to use the Taint Scraper but lets check out the new room I added to my house. Check it out, I added to fences to make it look fancy.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

better question is what mods should have progressed to botania

Not really. All progression in progression modpacks is artificial. No mod "flows" into another mod. They're separate works, and anything that isn't a legit addon mod is designed to stand alone.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Depends posted:

I always enjoy the mandatory 15 minute tour of "stuff I've done since the last video"
I know you're here to puzzle out how to use the Taint Scraper but lets check out the new room I added to my house. Check it out, I added to fences to make it look fancy.
I'd have to say my favorite is the way they all use Direwolf's setup of using huge chunks of the video to point out what the recipe is, as if we're not all going to be using NEI/JEI anyway.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Vib Rib posted:

I'd have to say my favorite is the way they all use Direwolf's setup of using huge chunks of the video to point out what the recipe is, as if we're not all going to be using NEI/JEI anyway.

Hey, it could be worse: at least the recipes shown in youtube videos never get changed between mod versions or tweaked by modpack creators. Then they'd be completely useless.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone know anything about Electroblob's Wizardry? It just updated to 1.12, and it looks like a decent "traditional" magic mod without the usual "build six different structures to get started" crap.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Not really. All progression in progression modpacks is artificial. No mod "flows" into another mod. They're separate works, and anything that isn't a legit addon mod is designed to stand alone.

I think his point was that Botania has a lot of useful things in it so less useful mods should come before it, not after.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Vib Rib posted:

While I don't think it's something worth spending a lot of time on, showing how it's made at least gives an idea of how useful it'll be. A thing that stores 50 buckets of fluids and takes some iron and obsidian is potentially useful. A thing that stores 50 buckets of fluids and needs two nether stars is garbage.

Speaking of garbage, are there any skyblocks that don't use IndustrialCraft? MSB3 looks neat enough, but I don't want to have to suffer through that janky old bullshit.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

MechaCrash posted:

Speaking of garbage, are there any skyblocks that don't use IndustrialCraft? MSB3 looks neat enough, but I don't want to have to suffer through that janky old bullshit.

MSB3 doesn't have IndustrialCraft. It has Industrial Foregoing, which is a clone of MFR, but no IC2.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MechaCrash posted:

While I don't think it's something worth spending a lot of time on, showing how it's made at least gives an idea of how useful it'll be. A thing that stores 50 buckets of fluids and takes some iron and obsidian is potentially useful. A thing that stores 50 buckets of fluids and needs two nether stars is garbage.

MSB3 doesn't use IC2, but it does use Tech Reborn, which is a pseudo-clone of IC2 and Gregtech. It isn't used much, though, and it's compatible with RF.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
i was wondering why my skin was different and then i checked and it looks like my account was broken into 9 days ago and they changed the name and skin but not the email on it :psyduck:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Oh, right. I remember seeing some mod in there and thinking "ugh gently caress why," but apparently that was Buildcraft. Which is still janky old bullshit but it's somewhat less intolerable. Thanks, I will probably get around to taking a swing at MSB3 sooner or later.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

MechaCrash posted:

Oh, right. I remember seeing some mod in there and thinking "ugh gently caress why," but apparently that was Buildcraft. Which is still janky old bullshit but it's somewhat less intolerable. Thanks, I will probably get around to taking a swing at MSB3 sooner or later.

Buildcraft is barely even functional in 1.12. There are some pipes and a redstone engine. That's it. At least when I did MSB3, the buildcraft quest count stood at a staggering 1, and it wasn't a requirement for anything.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

So why ask what botania should have lead to?

But yes i agree that it is all artificial.

My point is why have an endgame almost complete mod capable of doing everything as the first or 2nd mod in a prgoression pack?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

MSB3 doesn't use IC2, but it does use Tech Reborn, which is a pseudo-clone of IC2 and Gregtech. It isn't used much, though, and it's compatible with RF.

MechaCrash posted:

almost every pack ive come across recently has tech reborn in it. It's garbage and shouldnt be used for similar reasons as ic2. (my main gripe is hitting the block with a pickaxe gives you a casing and not the block. But there are others)

My main hate for MSB3 however comes from the gating of decent tanks that hold fluid. The ender tanks just arent worth it, even upgrading them with pearls. So unless im missing something sooner?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Meskhenet posted:

My main hate for MSB3 however comes from the gating of decent tanks that hold fluid. The ender tanks just arent worth it, even upgrading them with pearls. So unless im missing something sooner?

Immersive Engineering's multiblock tanks hold 512 buckets of liquid. Resonant, Holding IV thermal expansion portable tanks hold 1500. A demon metal drum holds (i think) 65,536 buckets, if I'm not mistaken.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Immersive Engineering's multiblock tanks hold 512 buckets of liquid. Resonant, Holding IV thermal expansion portable tanks hold 1500. A demon metal drum holds (i think) 65,536 buckets, if I'm not mistaken.

I didnt know of the IM multiblock one. The others i havent unlocked.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

MechaCrash posted:

Sevtech has buildcraft, too. I don't loving get it. BC has been poo poo for years and I can't imagine why so many people think it's still a big-name contender.
At least Forestry is on its way out, at long last.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

Sevtech has buildcraft, too. I don't loving get it. BC has been poo poo for years and I can't imagine why so many people think it's still a big-name contender.
At least Forestry is on its way out, at long last.

And take those loving bees with you on your way out thanks.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

AceClown posted:

And take those loving bees with you on your way out thanks.

It feels like Forestry has gotten better over the years. When I went through in MSB3 it seemed decidedly less bullshitty...I mean other than bees because fuuuuuck bees. I got almost all the way through but breeding up a shitton of royal jelly to make the big alveary was the final straw for me. Cheated past that and then spent days breeding chickens, which was at least LESS tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Falcon2001 posted:

It feels like Forestry has gotten better over the years. When I went through in MSB3 it seemed decidedly less bullshitty...I mean other than bees because fuuuuuck bees. I got almost all the way through but breeding up a shitton of royal jelly to make the big alveary was the final straw for me. Cheated past that and then spent days breeding chickens, which was at least LESS tedious.

Was this in staged mode or something? Gated mode required some esoteric bee's poop, but didn't require an alveary at all.

Chickens utterly break MSB3. If you attune to the Aevitas constellation, chickens will grow from babies to adults extremely rapidly, and they'll also spontaneously breed. It's like watching slow motion nuclear fission in chicken form. This makes getting 10/10/10 chickens easy. I made a shitload of awakened draconium chickens.