Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

bandaid.friend posted:

If you say "Yassmin Abdel-Magied" three times, a newspaper columnist appears to tell you brown people are scary

https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/i-regret-to-inform-you-politicians-are-upset-about-yassmin

Yassmin Abdel-Magied update: The United States has deported her (or, uh, denied her entry, more accurately).

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/apr/12/yassmin-abdel-magied-says-she-is-being-deported-from-us

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I'd watch an ABC mini-series where Dutton hits the streets Principal Skinner style looking for Cameroonian athletes who manage to evade him every time using their superior athletic ability.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
How the gently caress does a study even cost 50 million dollars in the first place. Holy poo poo that's an insane amount of money. If you take a team of 20 and pay all of them 100k a year it's still going to take 25 loving years to go through 50 million goddamn dollars.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Teddybear posted:

Yassmin Abdel-Magied update: The United States has deported her (or, uh, denied her entry, more accurately).

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/apr/12/yassmin-abdel-magied-says-she-is-being-deported-from-us

Oh no, where will she peddle her hot takes now?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

JBP posted:

"What is happening on Manus and Nauru is bad", truly the hottest of takes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Box of Bunnies posted:

"What is happening on Manus and Nauru is bad", truly the hottest of takes.

She'll be right, Adam Hills tried to step UK to US as well. Sometimes they just don't make it into that next market.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

I'd watch an ABC mini-series where Dutton hits the streets Principal Skinner style looking for Cameroonian athletes who manage to evade him every time using their superior athletic ability.

A javelin flies through the air, jamming the train door open at the last second allowing the athlete to jump on in the nick of time.

Dutton huffs down the stairs only able to watch in dismay as the train leaves the station, the javelin competitor having escaped again.

JBP posted:

:ironicat:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Do we even know what has happened to the athletes at this stage?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

A javelin flies through the air, jamming the train door open at the last second allowing the athlete to jump on in the nick of time.

Dutton huffs down the stairs only able to watch in dismay as the train leaves the station, the javelin competitor having escaped again.

:ironicat:

lmao gently caress you

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Tony Abbott says Malcolm Turnbull has his 'knickers in a twist' over migration policy

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

You Am I posted:

Australia can't afford the Bill we're going to get if they elect Labor :smuggo:

Dude, none of the major parties are going to give you any details, especially the ones in opposition, as this gives the government and media means of attacking them.

again i must point out that labor is playing a relatively big target strategy - see their announcement on franking credits, which riled up the olds, months before an election is even on the horizon. i imagine that their budget response is going to be fairly substantial similar to last year’s.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

JBP posted:

gently caress off

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

kirbysuperstar posted:

gently caress off

Islam being the most feminist religion is a pretty spicy take my dude.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

hooman posted:

How the gently caress does a study even cost 50 million dollars in the first place. Holy poo poo that's an insane amount of money. If you take a team of 20 and pay all of them 100k a year it's still going to take 25 loving years to go through 50 million goddamn dollars.

You pay your mate's consulting firm 50 million. He hires 20 staff at an average 100k salary each but the remainder is "business costs" and his CEO package.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Yassmin Abdel-Maglied

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

G-Spot Run posted:

You pay your mate's consulting firm 50 million. He hires 20 staff at an average 100k salary each but the remainder is "business costs" and his CEO package.

There's that wonderful efficiency of the free market in action.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

Well it's more like when Donny Publicmoney turns up and asks for something you lie and fleece him then laugh about it.

There is an extremely amusing story about the terrible scyfy show Hunters and the way the producers sold the Victorian Government a series of lies about using Docklands Studios to shoot and that there would be 6-7 seasons of the show. So they got public funding and a free kick on local content/the agreement then they leased a warehouse in Broady, shot one season and hosed off with what I imagine is a very funny tax write down anecdote among Hollywood Maserati drivers.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Speaking of trains and Victoria, watch Opposition Lobster Matthew Guy hide from the cameras when a station announcement tells them to stop filming on the platform without permission

https://twitter.com/Qldaah/status/983858812422533121?s=09

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

How has Peter Helliar managed to stay on channel 10 for so long without his body grease coagulating, trapping him in his home like so many terracotta soldiers

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

It's so weird watching that clip of a shitstain in a cheap suit and then cut to Carrie Bickmore who's attending her year 12 formal later that night. Don't people on tv wear real clothes

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

At least Waleed knows what's going on

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Was it really necessary to do three posts when one would have been enough?

Extra snark: Maybe no posts would've been the best option

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
anyone know what melbourne greens prefs were like in the last federal electrion?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Well it's more like when Donny Publicmoney turns up and asks for something you lie and fleece him then laugh about it.

hooman posted:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

You Am I posted:

Was it really necessary to do morning all?

Maybe no posts would've been the best option

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JBP posted:

Islam being the most feminist religion is a pretty spicy take my dude.

When you consider the competition, not really.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

swimsuit posted:

anyone know what melbourne greens prefs were like in the last federal electrion?

That one might've been open ticket, but if it wasn't then they preferenced Labor over the Liberals, although between Greens and Labor were likely some miscellaneous left-leaning minor parties. I know the latter was the case down in Melbourne Ports but I don't know for sure about the actual electorate of Melbourne.

Why do you ask?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Snowman_McK posted:

I can see how you would think this, if you'd been hit over the head with a sledgehammer.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

I agree with Amethyst

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Amethyst posted:

I can see how you would think this, if you'd been hit over the head with a sledgehammer.

Nah, it's exactly the same sort of argument that people put forward regarding violence, that Islam is a violent religion, as if there's a peaceful one, like, an actual peaceful one, historically speaking (there isn't) Whoever is actually the winner of this argument is standing on the thinnest imaginable high ground. It's real 'tallest dwarf' material

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 12, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

swimsuit posted:

Best I could find https://greens.org.au/news/national/statement-preference-arrangements-2016-federal-election

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

swimsuit posted:

https://results.aec.gov.au/20499/Website/HouseDivisionPage-20499-228.htm

edit: I realised you might mean their how to vote card which I am also now trying to find

G-Spot Run fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 12, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Going to go out on a limb and suggest wicca as the most feminist religion

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Would have posted this but I assumed they meant was was on the HTV cards handed out as some people don't follow those when they vote

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

bell jar posted:

Going to go out on a limb and suggest wicca as the most feminist religion

That's a fair point. I was restricting my thinking to the major ones.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

G-Spot Run posted:

Having worked extensively for consultancies i can confirm this is exactly what happens. $50m is a loving shitload for a study though, unless you're talking a complex project (i.e. brownfields involving multiple legislative bodies or jurisdictions) in the $1bn+ range.

Edit: i should add that you dont just agree to that $50m in one hit, you normally spend a couple hundred grand getting super high level concept design and ballpark $ figures, then progressively refine things from there - that $50m should get you majority of detailed design done, all your contracts more or less drawn up, negotiated and ready to sign, govt approvals in place etc.

Spending $50m to end up realising you've got a dud project that will not go ahead is exceptionally rare, and would be almost solely due to some sort of corrupt conduct going on

aejix fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 12, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Snowman_McK posted:

That's a fair point. I was restricting my thinking to the major ones.

Protestants have female ministers

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Like every loving religion has absorbed in some ways the tenets of western liberalism which is the home ground of feminism. It's a ludicrous thing to say, especially when you were driven from your home by an Islamic revolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JBP posted:

Protestants have female ministers

And I guess that's where the argument gets interesting. Which version of protestantism? How specific do you get? Pkenty of off shoots still don't have female ministers but are protestants, like roughly half the versions of baptists. Is it fair to compare revolutionary offshoots of majori religions with the entirety of another? How do you qualify and/or quantify feminism in religions that were overwhelmingly created long before that was even a thing? For instance, the Quran guaranteed property rights for women in the 600s, do you weight that more heavily than protestantism now?

It's an interesting argument, and there would be a stable argument for Islam, among others to have that very slim high ground. It's really not a spicy take when you consider a) the number of factors and b)the fact that all major religions are loving poo poo when it comes to women's rights.

• Locked thread