Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Last Celebration posted:

Reminder that Flashy Flash didn’t choose his dumb hero name, he just got the short end of the stick like Glasses and Caped Baldy.

Pretty sure he did. As he is from the same place as Speed of Sound Sonic and those two new monster ninja Gale Wind, and Hellfire Flame. All of them have stupid redundant names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I couldn't tell what was inside Royal Ripper's bandages? Just hair? I don't remember that being a thing in the original version.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Radish posted:

I couldn't tell what was inside Royal Ripper's bandages? Just hair? I don't remember that being a thing in the original version.
Yeah what was the deal? Seems like it was hinting at him coming back... Like he was made of nothing or had no physical body.

Also, is this confirmation that Z-City (where Saitama lives) is close to where the monster association lives?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I just figured it meant he was a nasty, nasty hair monster but it could be a hint of something

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Garou immediately went to eat the mooks he slaughtered afterwards, so I figured he was just disgusted that whatever nasty hair was inside Ripper wasn't edible.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

gnome7 posted:

Shining Flash is pretty good, I like that a lot too. I'm surprised I hadn't heard it before.

Shining Flash, Common Rider, are there any other hero names we can improve?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I can never tell if people are joking when they say "common rider", they're just dictating to their phone, they actually think it's "common rider", or it's not actually "kamen rider" and I'm wrong.

Someone set me straight pls

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Common Rider is a good homophone pun on Kamen Rider and many consider it a better localization than Licenseless Rider, which is a more direct but less flavorful translation of what his name is in Japanese, which is Mumen Rider, itself clearly a pun on Kamen Rider.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Calling him Mumen Rider in the dub is the worst option though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I can never tell if people are joking when they say "common rider", they're just dictating to their phone, they actually think it's "common rider", or it's not actually "kamen rider" and I'm wrong.

Someone set me straight pls

The character's name in Japanese is "Mumen Rider," which is a pun on "Kamen Rider." Fan translations render it "Licenseless Rider," which is a literal rendition. In this thread there are those who suggest and prefer that it be translated as "Common Rider," which preserves the pun and communicates an important aspect of his character, at the cost of clarity about why he rides a bicycle.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Ty all.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Common Rider is a pro-tier pun name

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
the horrific and immediate end pig god put to that gorgon fight was so crazy i can't believe anyone forgot it

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Not Too Exceptional Rider

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
pig god and watchdog man are tied for top s class hero

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

I can't believe this slander against the unbreakable Zombieman.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

They're really good. I want to see more Watchdog Man, but it seems like his role in this arc is already over. But we're getting some Pig God, and S-Class shenanigans in general, so that'll be fun too.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the horrific and immediate end pig god put to that gorgon fight was so crazy i can't believe anyone forgot it

What chapter, I can't even recall it. :psyduck:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chapter 67, according to the wiki.

Edit: Fight between the monster and Child Emperor starts here, Pig God arrives shortly after.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 11, 2018

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
To be fair, child emperor forgets about the fight, too.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Keeshhound posted:

To be fair, child emperor forgets about the fight, too.

If I was Child Emperor I'd also try to forget the fight.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Chapter 67, according to the wiki.

Edit: Fight between the monster and Child Emperor starts here, Pig God arrives shortly after.

This fight is still great.

Child Emperor also recognizes the awesomeness of watchdogman, hence his dogmen robots.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Hellsau posted:

Calling him Mumen Rider in the dub is the worst option though.

I didn't like enough of the dub to get to his introduction, but this makes me think that they also used Amai Mask. :sigh:

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

To be fair with Mumen, we call Kamen Rider the franchise as... Kamen Rider, rather than Masked Rider.

I do agree Common Rider is a very pro name, but Mumen Rider has some reason to be left untranslated, I feel.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

LightningKimba posted:

To be fair with Mumen, we call Kamen Rider the franchise as... Kamen Rider, rather than Masked Rider.

I do agree Common Rider is a very pro name, but Mumen Rider has some reason to be left untranslated, I feel.

Leaving "Mumen Rider" untranslated is unnecessarily obtuse to no reason, since the Kamen Rider is an incredibly niche series outside of Japan.

It doesn't even preserve the wordplay; I can't imagine most western Kamen Rider fans are fluent enough in Japanese to know what "mumen" means.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I like Basic Biker tbh fight me, unless you're Garou then please don't fight me please like me.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Schwarzwald posted:

Leaving "Mumen Rider" untranslated is unnecessarily obtuse to no reason, since the Kamen Rider is an incredibly niche series outside of Japan.

It doesn't even preserve the wordplay; I can't imagine most western Kamen Rider fans are fluent enough in Japanese to know what "mumen" means.

I think it's fine to lose the pun name since it's more of a visual gag, anyway. Like, I never understood what Licenseless Rider was supposed to mean, either, and I still thought his scenes were great.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

And More posted:

Like, I never understood what Licenseless Rider was supposed to mean, either, and I still thought his scenes were great.

He doesn't have a motorcycle license, so he rides a pedal bike instead.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Keeshhound posted:

He doesn't have a motorcycle license, so he rides a pedal bike instead.

I'm going to come clean. For several months after I first got into OPM, I was under the impression that in Japan you needed a license to drive a pedal bike, and that nice boy Licenseless Rider pedaled in flagrant disregard of that regulation.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm going to come clean. For several months after I first got into OPM, I was under the impression that in Japan you needed a license to drive a pedal bike, and that nice boy Licenseless Rider pedaled in flagrant disregard of that regulation.

Licenseless Rider's dirty secret.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Schwarzwald posted:

That's what I thought too.
Then I learned better.

I got the Mumen Rider thing right away though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Schwarzwald posted:

Licenseless Rider is a true hero and he'd never break any law.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Blaze Dragon posted:

Licenseless Rider is a true hero and he'd never break any law.

I tied my mind in knots trying to reconcile that in my head! I think I was somewhere between "ONE is a capable writer willing to produce characters who are both good boys but also law breakers" and "being a hero means having the courage to disobey the law when it's the right thing to do" before I was made aware of my error.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

skaianDestiny posted:

Not Too Exceptional Rider

That's a lie, he is a very exceptional hero

e: I remember why I forgot about Pig God eating the snake lady, it's because the chapter also has Very Good Boy, Watchdog Man

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 12, 2018

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Schwarzwald posted:

Same here

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

For half of the Sea King arc, here, on the basis that he was willing to flout authority to save people (just like he ignored the Hero Association telling him it was too dangerous and increased his pace, dropping his phone).

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought along these lines.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I can see where you'd think that for, like, the first five minutes

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

right? but like... months... lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Babe Magnet posted:

right? but like... months... lol

I thought it straight up until we started having this convo an hour or two ago. Although in my defense I didnt put a lot of thought into it.

Like I dont think Japan is some sort of regulatory hellhole and you have to get licenced just to put your feet on the pedals, the licence would have just been for operating bikes on major roads or something.