Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Samuringa posted:

Civil War finished around the time I began reading comics, what was JJJ reaction?

A small heart attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

A small heart attack.

Then when he recovered he took up boxing. And Peter agreed to spar with him so they could talk out their issues while he was punched in their face. It's good stuff and belongs in the Touching Panel thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He also tried to sue Peter for selling all those pictures of himself to the Bugle.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Does anyone remember the time Peter tricked Jameson into thinking his son, astronaut and true American hero John Jameson, was Spider-Man, but only for about one issue? I think it was in one of those books that came out simultaneously with JMS on Amazing.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Samuringa posted:

Civil War finished around the time I began reading comics, what was JJJ reaction?

If I recall correctly, panel one is him staring at the TV in shock in the Bugle newsroom, panel two is him having fallen off-panel and everyone else looking at him on the floor.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Samuringa posted:

I'd always liked these two

That's an odd response to that sentence.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

davidspackage posted:

N52 JL was bad.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

davidspackage posted:

If it's not plane shaped, Hal doesn't know jack about it.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

davidspackage posted:

It's like Green Lantern knows that "Bruce Wayne" is a famous person, but he doesn't know who that is or why they're famous.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
"I don't read gossip magazines, I'm an adult. With a job."

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ehh, in the context of his Wayne persona being a guy who owns a massive company and donates millions to charity, it's kind of like saying "Who the hell's Bill Gates?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly if Hal Jordan was just Archer it would make his character make so much more sense.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly if Hal Jordan was just Archer it would make his character make so much more sense.

Archer is about a million times better a person than Hal.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Probably smarter too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

David D. Davidson posted:

Probably smarter too.

definitely smarter, archer has flashes of genius-level intelligence and perception that actually does live up to his own hype. archer's problem is that he's a colossal douchebag who cares more about screwing with people than using any of his gifts.

hal's only gift is his own stupidity that makes him too pure to corrupt or some similar horseshit

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Archer is basically Gwenpool. He just does stuff and figures things will work out for him.

And they do.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Push El Burrito posted:

Archer is basically Gwenpool. He just does stuff and figures things will work out for him.

And they do.

Also he might legitimately be autistic.

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

That might just be the years of alcohol abuse.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

El Gallinero Gros posted:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

prefect posted:

It's like Green Lantern knows that "Bruce Wayne" is a famous person, but he doesn't know who that is or why they're famous.

But he doesn't even say like "I'm Bruce Wayne." He says "My name is Bruce Wayne." "Who the hell's Bruce Wayne?" would then be answered by "Uh...me?"

Or I'M BATMAN

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
I was thinking the same thing. Stones stacked in size order. Also: "I'm spooning a Barrett .50cal, I could kill a building!"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

unruly posted:

I was thinking the same thing. Stones stacked in size order. Also: "I'm spooning a Barrett .50cal, I could kill a building!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd-0F4v1C54

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Archer also gets grossed out at the thought of having sex with a minor

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Samuringa posted:

Archer also gets grossed out at the thought of having sex with a minor

Though he counters with asking her to call him the minute she turns 18.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lurdiak posted:

He also tried to sue Peter for selling all those pictures of himself to the Bugle.

That is so perfectly JJJ :)

Reminds me of the time he wanted to sue Jessica Jones for taking the money he paid her to find out Spider-Man's identity and giving it to kids charities instead. Robbie had to gently explain to Jonah that suing somebody for helping sick kids was probably a bad look.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

prefect posted:

If Hal was off the planet for the last ten years he might legitimately not know who some rich playboy who took over his dad's company was.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

In that case he'd just have to be mentally damaged enough to angrily yell "Who the hell is that?" at every single person he met that made the mistake of introducing themselves by name to him.

Checks out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

That is so perfectly JJJ :)

Reminds me of the time he wanted to sue Jessica Jones for taking the money he paid her to find out Spider-Man's identity and giving it to kids charities instead. Robbie had to gently explain to Jonah that suing somebody for helping sick kids was probably a bad look.
Did she do it in his name or something?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

mind the walrus posted:

Did she do it in his name or something?

If I remember correctly, JJJ hired Jessica to find out Spider-Man's secret identity. She proceeded to go around town volunteering at soup kitchens and orphanages while collecting a per diem from JJJ, on the basis that she'd supposedly heard Spider-Man was an orphan and she was collecting information.

I remember the relatively subtle detail that the comic began and ended on a very similar panel, but in the first one, Jessica was writing on a legal pad, and in the second, she has a laptop.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wanderer posted:

If I remember correctly, JJJ hired Jessica to find out Spider-Man's secret identity. She proceeded to go around town volunteering at soup kitchens and orphanages while collecting a per diem from JJJ, on the basis that she'd supposedly heard Spider-Man was an orphan and she was collecting information.

Hell, he was an orphan, so there's no way Jonah would win that lawsuit. That's infinitely more honesty and effort than you'd get from most consultants.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

This one requires a bit of explanation, but thinking about kid inappropriate moments in early Eighties superhero comics reminded me of the time my mom decided she needed to censor a Firestorm comic I was reading:

Imagine "darn" written over each of those "damns" in pen so it reads DARN! DARN! DARN!

Unfortunately, I got rid of a lot of comics over the years, and I wish I'd kept this one in retrospect. I was a four year old reading this comic when it came out that month. Good job self-editing there, Gerry Conway.

(The Fury of Firestorm #17, approved by the Comics Code Authority and cover-dated October 1983.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wait, Adam Kubert used to be a letterer?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Nessus posted:

If Hal was off the planet for the last ten years he might legitimately not know who some rich playboy who took over his dad's company was.
He wasn't, that's set right after the reset so he'd only been Green Lantern maybe a year at that point.

eatenmyeyes
Mar 29, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I just read the first issue of Snagglepuss.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

eatenmyeyes posted:

I just read the first issue of Snagglepuss.

I assume this is the joke, in case someone didn't get the reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GG_Allin

I know about him mostly because he was locally infamous for taking a poo poo on stage and throwing it at the audience at a concert here in Milwaukee.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Servoret posted:

I know about him mostly because he was locally infamous for taking a poo poo on stage and throwing it at the audience at a concert here in Milwaukee.
That seems like an entirely appropriate response to finding oneself in Milwaukee.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Servoret posted:

I assume this is the joke, in case someone didn't get the reference:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GG_Allin

Does this guy know how to party or what?!

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Does this guy know how to party or what?!

Again, in case someone didn't get the reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRCTc6stICc

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I know folks like to draw Kingpin as an Absolute Unit, but still

:eyepop:

Also does Magneto have coathangers in his cape, doors must be a pain to deal with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Probably just has little bits of metal sewn into the hems so he can make it billow out when it's dramatically appropriate regardless of the weather.