Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Stick100 posted:

They also communicate using Bluetooth, so you need a good Bluetooth connection on your computer. I've done some VR talks and in one there was bad EM interference and the WMR controllers would hardly work (I got 3DOF but not 6DOF) while they work fine on that computer in other circumstances. For my main VR desktop, I had to get a Bluetooth USB dongle and the controllers hardly work at all. I had to get a USB extension and even then the controllers only track when within a couple of feet of the Bluetooth USB dongle.

Just a heads-up that Bluetooth connection strength is the Achilles heel of WMR tracking.

This is probably only the legitimate non-subjective complaint I've read. I don't have any issues using the touchpad or joysticks and I think the grip buttons are fine. I actually like the controllers more than the Vive controllers and the Oculus controllers are better but that doesn't make the WMR controllers poo poo.

GutBomb posted:

WMR controllers EAT batteries. 2 hours of use and your batteries die. It's crazy.

Maybe this too, but the ability to pop in new batteries beats having to wait for Vive controllers to recharge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Protocol7 posted:

Maybe this too, but the ability to pop in new batteries beats having to wait for Vive controllers to recharge.

It is better than the Vive controller charging situation to be sure, but rift controllers run on one battery each and they go for like, 30 hours before needing a new one, as opposed to WMR controllers that use 2 batteries each and last 2 hours. It just seems wild to me that they could ever be released with such piss poor power management.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Seems like it would be relatively easy to make hand straps (not wrist) for the touch controllers so that they could behave like the prototype knuckle controllers. You can even get the actual controller CAD files from Oculus. I think I'm gonna experiment with this in my spare time.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

jubjub64 posted:

Seems like it would be relatively easy to make hand straps (not wrist) for the touch controllers so that they could behave like the prototype knuckle controllers. You can even get the actual controller CAD files from Oculus. I think I'm gonna experiment with this in my spare time.

Like this? https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mamut-touch-grip-vr#/

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Oh good, somebody already figured it out. Now I can spend more time in Skyrim lol.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

GutBomb posted:

WMR controllers EAT batteries. 2 hours of use and your batteries die. It's crazy.

I thought this was the case as my WMR controllers ate the included batteries in 2 hours. But after that I've put in some generic Fred's "Long Lasting Alkaline" batteries and they've easily about 8 hours of use per. Including a 4 hour session at my work the other day (where everyone decided to try out WMR).

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Picked up Everspace on a whim after getting the deluxe strap yesterday (quite good; not a perfect fit but much better than the default arrangement). Don't really have any idea what I'm doing in the game, though; any advice?

Sure if fun keeping visual track of targets while slipping around at high speed, though.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Welp, having movies playing inthe corner of your eye while in Skyrim is extremely cool and good. Can see myself putting a lot more VR time in general now.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

GutBomb posted:

This was not my exp. At all. The lovely ones they sent me worked for all the hours I demoed it, without an issue. This was through a "live stream" review, and just fuckin around with it before and after.

BonoMan posted:

I thought this was the case as my WMR controllers ate the included batteries in 2 hours. But after that I've put in some generic Fred's "Long Lasting Alkaline" batteries and they've easily about 8 hours of use per. Including a 4 hour session at my work the other day (where everyone decided to try out WMR).

This is more my exp. They arent touch good but 2 hours? Maybe I had good luck with the ones that came with, But thats crazy people are all having that exp. I was also kicking them on randomly just to play with the stupid sensor lights and stuff.

Agreed in general, They could be way less of a battery hog thats for sure. I'm going on 15 or so hours on some really lovely batteries in my touch controllers. Left ones easily over 20+.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The WMR controllers suck because they get fundamental, basic ergonomic things wrong. They're so bad that you never feel good about using them. A really good example is the trigger. When you're holding the controller, if you're putting no pressure on the trigger at all, your finger should be in a neutral position, where it's just sitting there. Try holding your hand out, extending your index finger, then relaxing it. That's exactly where the trigger sits when you're holding a Touch controller. With WMR, you actually have to hold your finger further out beyond the neutral position, or the trigger will be pushing on your finger.

The battery life is fine I just never want to hold those stupid controllers.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My only complaint is the Grip button's not exactly comfortable for repeated use in long sessions.

If you're running into that issue with oculus software like Echo Arena, there are a lot of revive options. You can toggle different grip modes where it will treat the grip as permanently held down until you press it again (for situations where you're holding guns for example), hybrid modes, or the standard hold to grip. For Echo Arena specifically (and lone echo), you can set a mode in revive, though you may be openvr advanced settings, to swap the trigger and the grip, since you're constantly using the grip to grab walls, it can be more comfortable in those games to use the trigger instead.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

jubjub64 posted:

I’m not so sure that the knuckles is the holy grail that everyone has been assuming it is, and the devs who have very recently commented along the lines of “a second dev kit is expected later this year” which means its changing a lot and not being released soon.
One of the problems I see, and this could be solved in software, is that maybe sometimes I want to hold on to the controller and maybe use some buttons / trackpad and NOT activating the grip button. Even though the knuckles will strap to your hand allowing you to do this, the interaction of the thumb and index finger with the rest of your hand closed is a bit awkward at best.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Finally gave in and traded in my (rarely used) Switch for a PSVR, and I’m in love. Will I dump it some day when I have plenty of space to play and and a few hundred/thousand to spend on a working computer and a Rift? Probably. But for now I’m super happy with it, even if the motion controls are a little janky.

Rec Room is hilarious and Until Dawn: Rush of Blood is max spook (but I’m gonna sell it back to GameStop to buy Superhot VR once I finish it)

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I finally turned on Rift 2.0 and I'm VR posting and this is doooooooooope

also Skyrim VR is very dope

hey any way to resize the desktop window?

e: got it

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 12, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

AndrewP posted:

I finally turned on Rift 2.0 and I'm VR posting and this is doooooooooope

also Skyrim VR is very dope

hey any way to resize the desktop window?

Grab the window and use the thumbstick, forwards/backwards moves it further away/closer, left/right shrinks/expands it.

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
In Skyrim VR, any way to disable the right-trackpad turn function? My meaty thumb keep hitting it. I’ve checked some INI tweak sources but not having much luck.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KOMI posted:

In Skyrim VR, any way to disable the right-trackpad turn function? My meaty thumb keep hitting it. I’ve checked some INI tweak sources but not having much luck.

If you lightly breathe on your right trackpad it should permanently break, that'll do it.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

Oculus 2.0 is extremely good. Lots of polish for a beta. I love that I can watch netflix while INSIDE the world of Skyrim. Also, having the window in the corner of my vision really helps with motion sickness.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Did they stop doing Oculus+ VR ready PC bundles? Seems like they were everywhere a year ago and now I can't find poo poo.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

... I'm really interested in the stock

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

veni veni veni posted:

Did they stop doing Oculus+ VR ready PC bundles? Seems like they were everywhere a year ago and now I can't find poo poo.

The HP envy bundles? Havent seen one in a bit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That sounds right. The price seemed to good to be true though I think they were like $800 with a rift included.

Well, since bundles don't seem to be a thing. Do you guys have a recommendation for a VR ready PC that's economical and solid? What's the least I can get away with spending, while still getting a quality experience?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

veni veni veni posted:

That sounds right. The price seemed to good to be true though I think they were like $800 with a rift included.

Well, since bundles don't seem to be a thing. Do you guys have a recommendation for a VR ready PC that's economical and solid? What's the least I can get away with spending, while still getting a quality experience?

Keep an eye on Woot and Newegg for refurbs. Depending on your needs woot typically has stuff with 1060s and ryzen 5/i5s for 600-700 and stuff with 1080s for 1100-1400. Just gotta catch the 1080 ones before they insta sell out.

Hard to beat that pricing.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

veni veni veni posted:

If you're looking for a prebuilt, the least you're probably looking at is $800 unless you find something on sale. I wouldn't look at anything with less than a GTX 1060. Technically 1050ti, or even a 960 is minimum spec, but you're going to run up against a lot of roadblocks going forward, and setting a lot of stuff to low.

I took a quick look around and about 750-800 is the cheapest I can see. You might want to check the PC hardware thread for more specific recommendations though.

If you're willing to build your own you're probably looking at around 500 or so at the cheapest.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tom Guycot posted:

If you're looking for a prebuilt, the least you're probably looking at is $800 unless you find something on sale. I wouldn't look at anything with less than a GTX 1060. Technically 1050ti, or even a 960 is minimum spec, but you're going to run up against a lot of roadblocks going forward, and setting a lot of stuff to low.

I took a quick look around and about 750-800 is the cheapest I can see. You might want to check the PC hardware thread for more specific recommendations though.

If you're willing to build your own you're probably looking at around 500 or so at the cheapest.

Building is going to be 800+
You can buy a ryzen 5 or something with a 1060 on woot right now for 600 or whatever. 550 for one of em. Seen em as low as 500.

You forget a 1060 is 300 dumb dollars still? GPUs are still dumb money my dude. You can’t beat a prebuilt right now

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 12, 2018

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

PerrineClostermann posted:

... I'm really interested in the stock

Stocks that mount the tube above the controllers on both rift but especially vive are known to cause tracking problems.
Protube is releasing their new Magtube product, which allows for magnetic attachment and detachment. I was part of the prototyping process and the current v2 design is what’s going to market for all 4 supported controllers once he sorts out some finishing touches.
It’s really incredible and a marked improvement from the classic protube design and avoids all of the pitfalls of other magnetic designs like not being able to tightly shoulder the stock because sheer force would pull the magnets out.
I’ve got about 20ish hours on the v2 and I’ve already surpassed the level I had on the 1000+ hours I had on the protube design, reloading in Stand Out is so quick it’s a pretty much non-stock speed.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Man, I can't get over how transformative Rift 2.0 is for my VR sessions. I stayed in my headset for hours last night - even googled how-to's while In VR. I was shocked at how clear and legible websites were. YouTube videos looked great, I had no problem navigating around, and even the keyboard lets you hunt and peck pretty easily and quickly.

Does Vive have a similar program? Because this is a clear reason to go Rift in my opinion. It makes being in VR for long stretches a hell of a lot more tolerable.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

rage-saq posted:

Stocks that mount the tube above the controllers on both rift but especially vive are known to cause tracking problems.
Protube is releasing their new Magtube product, which allows for magnetic attachment and detachment. I was part of the prototyping process and the current v2 design is what’s going to market for all 4 supported controllers once he sorts out some finishing touches.
It’s really incredible and a marked improvement from the classic protube design and avoids all of the pitfalls of other magnetic designs like not being able to tightly shoulder the stock because sheer force would pull the magnets out.
I’ve got about 20ish hours on the v2 and I’ve already surpassed the level I had on the 1000+ hours I had on the protube design, reloading in Stand Out is so quick it’s a pretty much non-stock speed.

I am very intrigued

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

rage-saq posted:

I’m not so sure that the knuckles is the holy grail that everyone has been assuming it is, and the devs who have very recently commented along the lines of “a second dev kit is expected later this year” which means its changing a lot and not being released soon.
One of the problems I see, and this could be solved in software, is that maybe sometimes I want to hold on to the controller and maybe use some buttons / trackpad and NOT activating the grip button. Even though the knuckles will strap to your hand allowing you to do this, the interaction of the thumb and index finger with the rest of your hand closed is a bit awkward at best.

If you want to throw something in VR then it is a pretty big deal to not have to half hold onto the controller while in VR you are letting go of the virtual object. Throwing in VR isn't crucial in all games but some games are centered around throwing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

jubjub64 posted:

If you want to throw something in VR then it is a pretty big deal to not have to half hold onto the controller while in VR you are letting go of the virtual object. Throwing in VR isn't crucial in all games but some games are centered around throwing.

It also makes gestures intuitive instead of something like pressing up on the trackpad to give a thumbs-up.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

PerrineClostermann posted:

I am very intrigued

I did a video comparison of the protube vs magtube prototype v2 here, apologies for the poo poo audio, my modmic lives on my rift and I forgot to check how bad it was on my old headset. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/246091746

Here is a pretty good clip from Stand Out the other night of me getting a pretty fast reload while running and not even slowing down, something I couldn’t do with the regular protube: https://clips.twitch.tv/SillyGiftedSpaghettiWutFace

Will be sold pretty soon both as a new full stock but also the magcups will be sold as an upgrade option for existing protube users.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

jubjub64 posted:

Just a tip for Touch controllers, you can actually let go completely to throw by splaying your fingers out and holding them that way, and they'll catch on the ring so the controller doesn't fly away. Always use the wrist strap in case you gently caress up but it's kinda fun to do it that way.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

rage-saq posted:

Well knuckles is not exactly based on a grip button instead every finger is it's own input.

Anton of H3VR said the knuckles don't work well as guns, which makes sense to me since it would almost be like you're holding with a trigger in space. For pure gun games (SPT and Blasters of the Universe) I actually prefer the Vive wands to the Touch controllers since the size and heft make it feel more like you're holding something instead of just having hands in space. If the knuckles feel less like holding something than the touch I can see it being amazing for social applications but not great for gun based games. Which brings up the question of maybe they shouldn't have a trigger at all.

From what I've heard many devs have questioned the trigger on the knuckles which might be why there is a V2 in the works.

Some other devs have said the current design is pretty fragile.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Touch for guns works but it's very easy for them to feel "off". It's such a specific shape that there's no room to hold it any way than exactly as designed, meaning the gun alignment and angle needs to be *perfect* in-game or else it feels like poo poo (see SPT).

Game devs need to make gun angle and alignment fully adjustable in game. Even the blaster in the new Oculus Dashboard room feels a little strange as if my wrist needs to be cocked a little too far back.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm still interested in trying out Skyrim VR because despite not being that into Skyrim I still want to explore an open world as a wizard in VR. Literally the only thing stopping me is the spiders. Video game spiders usually aren't even an issue for me but goddamn having one of those giant ugly motherfuckers jumping at me in VR sounds like a nightmare.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Glagha posted:

I'm still interested in trying out Skyrim VR because despite not being that into Skyrim I still want to explore an open world as a wizard in VR. Literally the only thing stopping me is the spiders. Video game spiders usually aren't even an issue for me but goddamn having one of those giant ugly motherfuckers jumping at me in VR sounds like a nightmare.

Get a no spider mod, I'm personally considering it. I believe it replaces the spiders with bears or something.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Glagha posted:

There are mods to remove all insects from the game, if you like!

EFB, but my post was more informative!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Stick100 posted:

Get a no spider mod, I'm personally considering it. I believe it replaces the spiders with bears or something.
please tell me someone has a video of a drop bear boss descending from the ceiling

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Glagha posted:

There's a ton of "remove spider" mods in various games that weren't even designed for modding, like System Shock, so a game with actual mod support is of course going to have arachnophobia support:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26468

edit: also beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Glock vs 1911 grip angle debate: VR edition.