Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JBP posted:

It's a ludicrous thing to say, especially when you were driven from your home by an Islamic revolution.

Connect the dots for me there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Okay I think this is it (Greens HTV for Melbourne 2016)

http://www.adambandt.com/htv

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Snowman_McK posted:

Connect the dots for me there.

Her family left due to Islamic revolution. I like her and I like spice but you can't tell me she's some 100% solemn commentator and that her shock at people reacting to extremely stinky bait is real.

Good way to crack the much larger UK commentary market though.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Snowman_McK posted:

And I guess that's where the argument gets interesting. Which version of protestantism? How specific do you get?

Hell, even within the same religion. The Lutheran Church of Australia doesn't ordain women, but they do in the US, Europe and Africa.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Whitlam posted:

Hell, even within the same religion. The Lutheran Church of Australia doesn't ordain women, but they do in the US, Europe and Africa.

That's what I discovered. Okinawan Baptists ordain women, Independent Baptists don't.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JBP posted:

Her family left due to Islamic revolution. I like her and I like spice but you can't tell me she's some 100% solemn commentator and that her shock at people reacting to extremely stinky bait is real.

Good way to crack the much larger UK commentary market though.

That's not connecting the dots, that's restating one of them.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Let's earnestly debate which is the most feminist religion, rather than simply admit that claiming Islam is the most feminist religion is really stupid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Snowman_McK posted:

That's not connecting the dots, that's restating one of them.

Ok I wasn't sure what manner of bonehead you were so answered earnestly.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
the Mahdi is female though

you infidels. you utter cretins.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

S tier religions: Catholicism

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Amethyst posted:

Let's earnestly debate which is the most feminist religion, rather than simply admit that claiming any of them is the most feminist religion is really stupid.

Fixed

JBP posted:

Ok I wasn't sure what manner of bonehead you were so answered earnestly.

"Her claim is ridiculous because she fled a revolution" is two completely unconnected things.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Why the gently caress are the hospital patients voting Liberal so strongly? Don't they read the Liberal health policy?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Fixed

"Her claim is ridiculous because she fled a revolution" is two completely unconnected things.

Nobody claimed a religion is the most feminist except for Yassmin Abdel-Magied, so I guess we agree that she is a blowhard idiot.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Snowman_McK posted:

Fixed

You have actively misquoted me. Well played. Can't draw a line between being driven from my home by Islamists and Islam being poo poo Mr Speaker. Claims it's the most feminist religion in a fight with fellow television and radio rodeo clown Jackie Lambie. What a potent commentator and great argument she has made.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Aesculus posted:

Why the gently caress are the hospital patients voting Liberal so strongly? Don't they read the Liberal health policy?

I believe those multiple sites teams go to the nursing homes but old people are more likely to be holed up in a hospital anyway.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JBP posted:

You have actively misquoted me.

Nope.

JBP posted:

It's a ludicrous thing to say, especially when you were driven from your home by an Islamic revolution.

Amethyst posted:

Nobody claimed a religion is the most feminist except for Yassmin Abdel-Magied, so I guess we agree that she is a blowhard idiot.

Which is sort of the oppostie of a spicy take. Something that may technically be true , but that doesn't matter because it's the tallest dwarf in the room.

Islam is an actively feminist institution is a spicy take. Claiming that jeff the dwarf is actually 6 foot tall is a spicy take.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 12, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

JBP posted:

Snowman_McK posted:

Keyword not found. Disingenuous poster.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

JBP posted:

Keyword not found. Disingenuous poster.

Okay, I've failed your game of spot the difference. In what sense were you misquoted?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
I'm not going to claim islam is in any way a feminist religion (pmuch all organised religions poo poo on women) but there are elements of truth--e.g. the quran gave property rights and (extremely limited) divorce rights to women long before there was any such thing in the west. In modern practice there are obviously huge issues with the way women are treated in muslim majority countries.

So definitely an absurd claim for Yassmin, but that one line she said in the heat of the moment seems to be used as a dogwhistle to invalidate anything she says by dudebros on the internet. every time I see a mention of her, the redditors dogpile with the 'lol islam is the most feminist religion' comment and completely ignores whatever (usually completely valid) she's actually making

Most likely, she personally practises a feminist version of islam (because hey, it's not the monolith that people make it out to be), so to her it might be the most feminist religion. I forget how she worded it so it was probably worded poorly and in the heat of the moment. Not really a reason to dismiss her as a valid commentator on islam (or anything else for that matter).

In any case we need more women of colour in journalism and public life. I'd prefer her to van badtake any day.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They're all van badtake. Is Rita Panahi a good or bad WOC?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's an interesting quote from Steven Runciman, the great historian, about the appeal of early Islam. It was, unapologetically, a religion of the sword. While, by contrast, Christianity preached a peaceful ideal that they never lived up to.

There's probably a similar point about Islam here in reverse, that it sets high standards for the treatment and rights of women (certainly for when it was written) but fails to live up to them.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

JBP posted:

They're all van badtake. Is Rita Panahi a good or bad WOC?

lol at inviting this forum to call someone a good or bad WOC

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Nope.

Which is sort of the oppostie of a spicy take. Something that may technically be true , but that doesn't matter because it's the tallest midget in the room.

Islam is an actively feminist institution is a spicy take. Claiming that jeff the midget is actually 6 foot tall is a spicy take.

I'm glad you found a definition of "spicy take" that let's you avoid feeling like an idiot.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
They are all bad,

There's my ghost pepper tier hot take for the week see yas

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Amethyst posted:

I'm glad you found a definition of "spicy take" that let's you avoid feeling like an idiot.

Okay.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I have to justify myself by referring to the height of people using a slur

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it is possible to acknowledge that the current use of islam in the political sphere is generally detrimental to a worse degree than the similar use of christianity without being islamophobic hth

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

bell jar posted:

I have to justify myself by referring to the height of people using a slur

I've fixed because holy I can tell you're going to be insufferable about it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Islam is the tallest religion.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BBJoey posted:

it is possible to acknowledge that the current use of islam in the political sphere is generally detrimental to a worse degree than the similar use of christianity without being islamophobic hth

Do you mean the use of Islam as a term or using its values as a piece of political leverage?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BBJoey posted:

Is that evidentially correct though or based on your assumptions?

I don't know whether it is or not, Indonesia is the largest muslim country on Earth and has a similar inequality index to Mexico?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Since I can't edit I'll double post:

How much of that is attributable to Islam and how much of that is regional and development based. Would you argue that Judaism is a destructive religion based on the actions of the one Jewish state?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

hooman posted:

I don't know whether it is or not, Indonesia is the largest muslim country on Earth and has a similar inequality index to Mexico?

Indonesia also has shocking rates of FGM

https://data.unicef.org/resources/female-genital-mutilation-cutting-country-profiles/

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

hooman posted:

It's a difficult thing to measure. It's easy to say Muslim countries are bad, but they rank in the bottom pile due to being bombed to heck by the west. In the same vein the worst countries for citizens rights are Muslim theocratic countries, but the worst countries when it comes to endemic poverty are maybe split evenly as openly or nominally Christian (and largely Catholic).

It poses an interesting argument re people grasping for hope due to bad circumstances and finding Islam or Christianity as an answer rather than finding a dvd of Rick and Morty.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Lid posted:

Just had a flashback to when ELECTION NOW was a meme here... was that 8 years ago?

starkebn posted:

That's why it sounds so hollow. Every opposition party in forever has promised the same list of poo poo. Even the party in power says the exact same list before an election.

Well spotted. It does have that smell about it to me. If Bill takes to spouting TLS and running off camera it will be a slam dunk.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Snowman_McK posted:

Do you mean the use of Islam as a term or using its values as a piece of political leverage?

the latter

hooman posted:

inequality is not a function of religion, broadly speaking. i’m talking about social mores; though christianity constrains human rights in a number of ways, in particular in places like latin america where conservative catholicism runs strong, i don’t think it’s much deniable that on average politically powerful islam has a worse effect on for example gay rights or women’s rights than christianity.

and i would also say that yes, as a tool used to justify the settlement and slow cleansing of palestine, judaism is destructive politically.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I didn't know that. FGM is a weird one because it's also quite prevalent in Christian countries in Africa. I'd seen some evidence it was a region/cultural thing, but I'm honestly not well educated enough about it to comment beyond it not just being an Islam thing.

JBP posted:

It's a difficult thing to measure. It's easy to say Muslim countries are bad, but they rank in the bottom pile due to being bombed to heck by the west. In the same vein the worst countries for citizens rights are Muslim theocratic countries, but the worst countries when it comes to endemic poverty are maybe split evenly as openly or nominally Christian (and largely Catholic).

It poses an interesting argument re people grasping for hope due to bad circumstances and finding Islam or Christianity as an answer rather than finding a dvd of Rick and Morty.

Yeah, this point is mostly why people blithely associating religion with circumstance frustrates me, because while it may be true, correlation and causation aren't the same thing and rather then being studied in an academic sense the question of "Does Islam promote x among it's followers" is used as a bludgeon against it, or to confirm internal prejudices.

Hell, my internal prejudice is that Islam is worse for women, but I think I owe it to myself and Islam to question the poo poo out of it, because I'm well aware it's based in racism and media consumption rather than coming from rigorous evidence.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

hooman posted:

Since I can't edit I'll double post:

How much of that is attributable to Islam and how much of that is regional and development based. Would you argue that Judaism is a destructive religion based on the actions of the one Jewish state?

Yes yes everything is grey and nothing is good or bad. The massive sectarian war consuming the middle east is fine. Groups like Boko Haram, Al Shabaab, and Jabhat Al Nusra? Nothing to worry about. Saudi Arabia's sectarian war on Yemen is not remarkable you will find catholics doing the same thing in uhhhhhh

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
You have to be careful with broad statements. One of my favourites to bring up is that, of the worst 50 cities in the world for murder rate, every single one is in a majority Christian country. I don't think it proves anything about christianity, though, because all the countries those cities belong to have other problems, like massive inequality and political instability.

JBP posted:

Don't forget various superpowers propping up useful strongmen, no matter how nutty they are. That's helped speed the death of arab nationalism in the middle east that's been going on since 67 or so. Dictatorships love making GBS threads on gays and women because their whole schtick is based on the appearance of strength, and that is manly, obviously.

Amethyst posted:

Yes yes everything is grey and nothing is good or bad. The massive sectarian war consuming the middle east is fine. Groups like Boko Haram, Al Shabaab, and Jabhat Al Nusra? Nothing to worry about. Saudi Arabia's sectarian war on Yemen is not remarkable you will find catholics doing the same thing in uhhhhhh

Are you alright, dude?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

personally the way i conceive of religion is that it’s a fool’s game to try and categorise a religion itself as better or worse than another. all religions can be interpreted to suit anyones’ ends. what actually matters is who is doing the interpreting and how strongly that affects people.

• Locked thread