Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I had it custom embroidered from capbeast.com, paid out the rear end for shipping because I didn't realize they're in Canada. It was ~$50 total

Might be slightly cheaper for me being in Canada but holy poo poo yeah, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I accidently bought a red Trump hat since it was on sale for $4 at Academy the other month so I ordered a patch off Ebay (they have that baseball team logo also on Ebay and most ST things you can think of) to fix it. Total cost: less than $10.

I'm not the best hat ironer though so I kinda melted the hat but it gets the job done (and it's the cheap Academy copy of a good baseball cap.)

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 12, 2018

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Just started playing ST:O. I rolled a romulan, forgetting that they're a bunch of refugees now. It didn't even give me the option of having a giant bowl-cut and wearing huge, square shoulder pads. Lame. At least it let me name my ship the Kali-Fal. Does anybody know exactly why the federation and the klingon empire are at war in the game? Google isn't being forthcoming.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Just started playing ST:O. I rolled a romulan, forgetting that they're a bunch of refugees now. It didn't even give me the option of having a giant bowl-cut and wearing huge, square shoulder pads. Lame. At least it let me name my ship the Kali-Fal. Does anybody know exactly why the federation and the klingon empire are at war in the game? Google isn't being forthcoming.

Species 8472.

Edit: I guess this requires a bit more. Species 8472 infiltrated the alpha quadrant. The Klingons figured it out and started killing everyone they thought was a shapeshifter. The Federation didn't want to do this cause they are pussies, so the klingons broke the alliance, and attacked the federation cauee they are totally infiltrated by Species 8472.

sweet geek swag fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 12, 2018

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Ugh so I have to watch voyager to understand? Ain't worth it, I'll just assume the klingons attacked the federation because they're a bunch of barely-sentient barbarians.

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Ugh so I have to watch voyager to understand? Ain't worth it, I'll just assume the klingons attacked the federation because they're a bunch of barely-sentient barbarians.

Voyager has like zero to do with it. They are just an extradimensional alien threat in a couple episodes of Voyager that have no bearing on anything else and are never mentioned again. Star Trek Online's gimmick of carrying on the canon beyond DS9/Voyager means they have developed a ton of poo poo way beyond the initial references.

There is an entire currency system / PVE battleground / storyline section based around the Dyson Sphere from TNG and those aliens that recover dead bodies in one episode of Voyager are responsible for creating Alien Harry Kim from the dead quantum duplicate, etc etc.

If you want to know why ST:O is doing something you would probably have to play through the Story missions but those take forever and are worse than watching Voyager. I'm sure trek nerds have an exhaustive summary somewhere.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Generations shouldve been Kirk right after Star Trek 3 being wished in and getting to use the D to go ham on Klingon rear end.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Basically the Iconians (which are the Trek Forerunner Prefounder OG space faring terror race) came out of HyperNaposis, opened up some Stargates to the Fluid Space, and whipped up a bunch if drama to supercrush the known galaxy.

Yeah, STO wanted to do Mass Trek Effect

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bacontotem posted:

Generations shouldve been Kirk right after Star Trek 3 being wished in and getting to use the D to go ham on Klingon rear end.
That sounds like an amazingly watchable movie but you probably mean the Enterprise D.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghostlight posted:

That sounds like an amazingly watchable movie but you probably mean the Enterprise D.

Star Trek 3: The Thirst for Coc* :riker:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A pity they don't have any real Gamma Quadrant content.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Just wanted to make sure that we are all in agreement that the Enterprise Refit/A is the best looking starship.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Blistex posted:

Just wanted to make sure that we are all in agreement that the Enterprise Refit/A is the best looking starship.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nigmaetcetera posted:

watch Voyager, you ding dong

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

It's not this derpy lookin' gently caress that's for sure.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

Hector Beerlioz posted:

How do you sleep at night??

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I liked trek ship design best when it respects the fantasy science behind how warp drive works. The nacells gotta be able to see each other to make the warp bubble!

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I think I've absorbed enough through osmosis to get it. Coffee nebulas, akoochemoya, cat man fucks a baby, captain janeway murders a holographic irishman's family so she can gently caress him, Harry Kim doesn't get to gently caress anybody, 7 of 9 gets Obama elected, etc. That's basically it, right?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
No you left out the one where they turn into lizards then gently caress

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

mods change my name posted:

No you left out the one where they turn into lizards then gently caress

And abandon their unloved offspring on a hostile planet in an uncharted quadrant, I think I actually saw that when it aired. Goddamn is the technology behind abortions lost to the ages or something?

edit: Did anybody else feel like the Enterprise crew was committing an unspeakable crime against humanity when they murdered their clones at the Mariposa colony? That seemed really, really wrong to me, even as a kid.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 13, 2018

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Nigmaetcetera posted:

And abandon their unloved offspring on a hostile planet in an uncharted quadrant, I think I actually saw that when it aired. Goddamn is the technology behind abortions lost to the ages or something?

when troi got pregnant worf demanded she get an abortion for the safety of the ship

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I think I've absorbed enough through osmosis to get it. Coffee nebulas, akoochemoya, cat man fucks a baby, captain janeway murders a holographic irishman's family so she can gently caress him, Harry Kim doesn't get to gently caress anybody, 7 of 9 gets Obama elected, etc. That's basically it, right?

Torres murders the doctor's holographic daughter because she thought he was too happy, harry gets hosed in the rear end and catches space gonorreha, Janeway executes someone pleading for their life to get Tuvok back, unlimited torpedos and shuttles, Harry impregnates Tom's two year old daughter, Chakotay communicates with aliens by with old timey fisticuffs boxing

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

mods change my name posted:

How do you sleep at night??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHxBp4zPTBQ

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

VictorianQueerLit posted:

Torres murders the doctor's holographic daughter because she thought he was too happy, harry gets hosed in the rear end and catches space gonorreha, Janeway executes someone pleading for their life to get Tuvok back, unlimited torpedos and shuttles, Harry impregnates Tom's two year old daughter, Chakotay communicates with aliens by with old timey fisticuffs boxing

Yeah that last one is the only one I don't remember seeing at least some of the episode. At the time my family didn't have cable so I would sometimes watch half an episode on UPN until The Simpsons reruns came on on FOX.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

edit: Did anybody else feel like the Enterprise crew was committing an unspeakable crime against humanity when they murdered their clones at the Mariposa colony? That seemed really, really wrong to me, even as a kid.

Later on in DS9, Odo confirmed that killing your own clone is still murder.

Granted, he was working under Bajoran law, not Federation, so maybe the two systems treat these things differently. Or maybe the ones from TNG were still in the first clonemester and could be legally aborted. (Or maybe the writing was just inconsistent.) Who knows.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Later on in DS9, Odo confirmed that killing your own clone is still murder.

Granted, he was working under Bajoran law, not Federation, so maybe the two systems treat these things differently. Or maybe the ones from TNG were still in the first clonemester and could be legally aborted. (Or maybe the writing was just inconsistent.) Who knows.

I felt like they were committing cultural genocide against the Mariposans. They were a society of clones, that was something intrinsic to their culture, and the federation decided to just gently caress that all up. All they did that was wrong was take people's DNA without asking. They should have requested donations of genetic material from the enterprise. Hell, I'd volunteer my DNA, even if I didn't get to jack off into a cup. I would be honored, in fact, to know that out there, there's a bunch of other people just like me, but different. It would be borderline mystical. But no, sorry clone people, you have to get raped by a bunch of drunken 19th century Irish hillbillies, because Gene Roddenberry was afraid of DNA because of nazis.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Blistex posted:

CHICKEN SHOES posted:

gonna go ahead and say 1701A or whatever model was in the movies with the rectangle nacelles was the best enterprise and could beat up the borg and a SSD and is super tough and cool and gets all the hot girls

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

quoting my other account being quoted in this post

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Blistex posted:

Absolutely not.

This fine vessel has traveled many thousands of miles from that time it was close to bajor and then when it was closer to the wormhole.

Its a doughty ship and a beautiful one too

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Maybe it's my star wars lizard brain kicking in, but I've always thought the Defiant was a better looking ship than the Refit/A. :shrug:

That said, the Refit/A is absolutely the best looking "traditional" saucer and nacelles design, followed by the Ent-D.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Do people actually play STO or is it dead and boring? I used to play a lot of WoW and would be down for an MMO. I heard the combat is trash. Can I fight dudes in the world with my ship and hail them and stuff?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Voyager is worth watching through and through just for these Star Trek threads over the years.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Sto has evil ensign kim iirc

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Windows 98 posted:

Do people actually play STO or is it dead and boring? I used to play a lot of WoW and would be down for an MMO. I heard the combat is trash. Can I fight dudes in the world with my ship and hail them and stuff?

A lot of people from SA still play STO, but the game is very dead and it is now boring.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

VictorianQueerLit posted:

If you want to know why ST:O is doing something you would probably have to play through the Story missions but those take forever

this whole conversation is confusing me so much

i assumed the feds and klingons were at war for me because i made my character a TOS era lookin mfer and all the adventures I've played are TOS era (except daniels the timedoofus shows up and brings elderly chekhov to assist me lol)

are these the "story missions"? and what else is there besides these? i can just fly around and hail ppl? I've literally never played another computer game or MMO or game connected to the internet before, i thought i just open the game and do whatever they tell me. i was wondering when I'd get to interact with internet ppl, as everything I've done has just been me hailing Starfleet and accepting/going on the mission they give me. how would i even choose to do anything else?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Windows 98 posted:

I play the Xbox One STO whenever a new episode drops, but it takes ages to ever find PvP or PvE matches. I assume I’m one of 5 xbone players and that the other 4 post in this thread.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I play the Xbox One STO whenever a new episode drops, but it takes ages to ever find PvP or PvE matches. I assume I’m one of 5 xbone players and that the other 4 post in this thread.

http://steamcharts.com/app/9900

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Almost everyone I know either uses the standalone launcher or arc, so the steam numbers aren't everyone, but the game is pretty dead. That said, space combat is fun, but it's basically a single player game and PVP has been suuuuper dead for years, don't ever bother.

Check the thread in mmohmo if you need help

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Blistex posted:

I always liked the Excelsior-class

re: STO - it's still fun even though ground combat is janky and the game is kind of dead. I played it at release and started again a couple months ago. Space combat is really fun. I do miss the PVP though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The game is fun because of the New Ship grind, but you cant just Open Hailing Frequencies and tell XxX-HighGuardAscendant420 to suck your nacelles.

It really hits a wall with the Admiral Class missions in the Dyson Sphere and such, where you just grind Plotnium to unlock Super Elite Tiers for your Sci, Eng, Command trees.