Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Ilor posted:

The technology's not quite ready for prime-time yet, especially not for mass production. Extrusion-based printers still leave layer-application artifacts (that be removed if you're cool with boiling acetone in your house) which become increasingly problematic as your scale gets smaller, and stereolithographers are still very expensive. If you're going to use 3D printing for anything, use it to make masters that you then make molds from to cast with resin. Or just 3D print the mold masters themselves. ;)

It seems okay for a one-off kind of thing, like Heroforge does, but yeah on a mass scale, I doubt it'd be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Arquinsiel posted:

GHQ are pretty but expensive, I go with Heroics & Ros which is dirt cheap and acceptably good.

If you are only using the number of vehicles and infantry in one of the GHQ sets then go for it. If you are doing a big force go with H & R. Small forces are worth spending a little more.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

GHQ are pretty but expensive, I go with Heroics & Ros which is dirt cheap and acceptably good.
You have any images buddy? Their website certainly doesn't for the things I was looking for!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
lovely pictures of what I happened to take pictures of ages ago:

BMP1-K, BRDM-2s and some mans.

T-72s and recovery vehicle.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I ordered a WaT bundle when they made the blog post making it available. That came with a pdf that was emailed to me this week.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Geisladisk posted:

Wait, PDF? I only see the physical copy on their website. I ordered that already, but a PDF would be great while I wait for the physical copy.
In order to get the PDF on release day you had to get the pre-order bundle. Rich sent them out a couple days ago (I got mine Monday night). I don't know what the plan is for PDFs now.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Geisladisk posted:

Wait, PDF? I only see the physical copy on their website.

:same:

Can someone link it?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's not up at all yet, the pdf was a preorder special.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I read thru the What A Tanker rules and they're really excellent. Can't wait to get a game.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Quick and dirty breakdown?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
After almost a year, tomorrow I shall finish my 36 men, 6 man-per-base French infantry battalion

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Super excited, getting ready to start my first 15mm historicals! Anyone have a cool Panzergrenadier force to show off?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Arquinsiel posted:

Quick and dirty breakdown?
Activation much like Chain of Command, where different #s on dice let you do different things (e.g. 1 is drive, 4 is shoot, 6 is a "wild card" you can do stuff with). Cover makes target acquisition and shooting harder, aiming makes shooting easier. The whole thing looks like it will play really quickly and present players with the kind of tough decisions for which TFL games are known.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Phi230 posted:

After almost a year, tomorrow I shall finish my 36 men, 6 man-per-base French infantry battalion

what scale?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Ilor posted:

Activation much like Chain of Command, where different #s on dice let you do different things (e.g. 1 is drive, 4 is shoot, 6 is a "wild card" you can do stuff with). Cover makes target acquisition and shooting harder, aiming makes shooting easier. The whole thing looks like it will play really quickly and present players with the kind of tough decisions for which TFL games are known.
Oh that does indeed sound like it'll make things a nailbiter. Also seems like this will be way easier to run as a con game, where you turn up and take a tank.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Arquinsiel posted:

Oh that does indeed sound like it'll make things a nailbiter. Also seems like this will be way easier to run as a con game, where you turn up and take a tank.

Yeah, it seems pretty ideal for a multiplayer zug vs platoon thing where each player commands one tank, gets a few turns in, gets shot up, can have a laugh and then move on.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I have tried HnR and Scotia Grendel T-72s and I'd say get GHQ if you can.

I have T-55 thru to T-64s from HnR and those are better.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Btw, in case Malifaux falls on me, any suggestions on how I paint my probably future Frekorps band? Should I just look up end-of-WWI German colors and add lovely freehand deathsheads on everything?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that the T-72 is the absolute worst item in H&R's line, so if you can get GHQ for anything approaching reasonable prices they're a much better option even with the slight scale disparity.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
6mm chatte

My stuff is boxed up so I can't do a direct side-by-side but here's some shots:

H&R T-72s, BMPs and 2S1. GHQ Soviet infantry.

A shitload of British armor before I finished the bases, all GHQ.

Heroic & Ros will look a little weedy next to them because they are 1/300 vs GHQ's 1/285, the T-72s look much smaller than my not-pictured Chieftains. Overall I echo what other people have said: GHQ will cost you but the quality is worth it (to me). The GHQ stuff needed no flash clean up, no gap filling, no miscast parts, no damage from shipment, nothing missing, and the details were sharp and excellent for the scale. GHQ make the best infantry out there, especially the support weapon teams.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Are those the H&R T-80 that was actually a T-72M? If so, I know what my next companies will be...

JcDent
May 13, 2013

GHQ is basically scale model quality of detail in a 6mm model and without the indignity of dealing with scale model fiddlyness.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arquinsiel posted:

Are those the H&R T-80 that was actually a T-72M? If so, I know what my next companies will be...

Something like that. By the time I got them I had already photoshopped & printed the labels and was like eh gently caress it.

vvvvvv
Nope, all my Soviet armor was H&R.

Springfield Fatts fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 12, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Actually wait, those BMP's have guns that are distinct from the hulls. Those have to be GHQ.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I am selling a Finn BA/COC platoon I just haven't had time to paint - if you're interested, here's the post on reddit with info. Goon discount of free shipping in the usa. Outside the USA I'd have to charge real shipping

https://www.reddit.com/r/Miniswap/comments/8bhvnq/h_age_of_sigmar_kharadron_overlords_fyreslayers

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Springfield Fatts posted:

6mm chatte

My stuff is boxed up so I can't do a direct side-by-side but here's some shots:

H&R T-72s, BMPs and 2S1. GHQ Soviet infantry.

A shitload of British armor before I finished the bases, all GHQ.

Heroic & Ros will look a little weedy next to them because they are 1/300 vs GHQ's 1/285, the T-72s look much smaller than my not-pictured Chieftains. Overall I echo what other people have said: GHQ will cost you but the quality is worth it (to me). The GHQ stuff needed no flash clean up, no gap filling, no miscast parts, no damage from shipment, nothing missing, and the details were sharp and excellent for the scale. GHQ make the best infantry out there, especially the support weapon teams.

What colors did you use on the first picture? I really like the grey/green base color

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

28mm. I've only ever painted 15mm before so I had to learn a lot to do them

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Phi230 posted:

What colors did you use on the first picture? I really like the grey/green base color

Vallejo Khaki, the camo stripes are Yellow Olive.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

JcDent posted:

Btw, in case Malifaux falls on me, any suggestions on how I paint my probably future Frekorps band? Should I just look up end-of-WWI German colors and add lovely freehand deathsheads on everything?

Bumpity.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

Well thanks! The only other time I've painted something was at one of those wine and dine paint night things.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

I am selling a Finn BA/COC platoon I just haven't had time to paint - if you're interested, here's the post on reddit with info. Goon discount of free shipping in the usa. Outside the USA I'd have to charge real shipping

https://www.reddit.com/r/Miniswap/comments/8bhvnq/h_age_of_sigmar_kharadron_overlords_fyreslayers
I've got no use for the Finns, but I'm interested in the Italians. Shoot me a message at chafin3rd on the geemailz. And on the plus side, we can probably meet up at MTS or whatever so you won't have to deal with shipping.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

JcDent posted:

Bumpity.

I don't know the specifics of the game/scenario you're talking about, but late-WWI gear with crappy skulls painted on it seems typical for Freikorps:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
What's with the goofy stahlhelms those four jabronies in the front are wearing? They don't look like the standard-issue kit.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Ilor posted:

What's with the goofy stahlhelms those four jabronies in the front are wearing? They don't look like the standard-issue kit.

Those are "Turkish" helmets:

They were developed for sale to Turkey late in the war, but ended up sitting in German warehouses. After the end of the war they were used by the various paramilitary groups fighting in the streets.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Wow, that's some serious secret-weapon poo poo right there - as in, "can't actually shoot the guy because I'm too busy laughing at his dorky-rear end helmet."

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Stalhelm's fetal alcohol syndrome brother.

Coalscuttle is the mutant inbred nephew.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Ilor posted:

I've got no use for the Finns, but I'm interested in the Italians. Shoot me a message at chafin3rd on the geemailz. And on the plus side, we can probably meet up at MTS or whatever so you won't have to deal with shipping.

I sent an email m8

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Ilor posted:

Wow, that's some serious secret-weapon poo poo right there - as in, "can't actually shoot the guy because I'm too busy laughing at his dorky-rear end helmet."

It's like the helmet that coined the term "helmet hair".

Anyway, the What a Tanker rules look really great. TBH I was hoping for more of that TFL characterization but oh well.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

DiHK posted:

Anyway, the What a Tanker rules look really great. TBH I was hoping for more of that TFL characterization but oh well.
If they do any kind of campaign supplement, I'll bet that sort of thing will make an appearance. Using "At the Sharp End" style tables to add ridiculous character you your tank crew would be rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
What do I roll to be haunted by a past war General?