Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/chapter/233051/1

In the new Eko Eko, incredibly overcomplicated murder plots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
did that manga ever explain why misa had a different personality every chapter?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I have a theory:
Noah's Notes is not long for this world.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I have a theory:
Noah's Notes is not long for this world.
Hmm, what's up with it?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

did that manga ever explain why misa had a different personality every chapter?

It's a laughing salesman type deal where the character exists to punish the foolish and be a weird cool witch. Time and demeanor mean nothing to her. She just always is.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

In the new deathduke, a story element appears

https://mangadex.org/chapter/240848/1

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

Hmm, what's up with it?

The main characters are grating, the scholar guy is the unenjoyable kind of 'super smart' and the girl is a confused ditzy vehicle for famservice, and unless they do something real dramatic with the premise then it also has a wasted premise.

And as a 'science' manga it has Dr Stone to contend with.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 12, 2018

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The main characters are grating, the scholar guy is the unenjoyable kind of 'super smart' and the girl is a confused ditzy vehicle for famservice, and unless they do something real dramatic with the premise then it also has a wasted premise.

Yeah. It feels very flat and it doesn't even do fanservice very well. Scholar guy doesn't even come across as very smart. Mostly just a bit of a dick.

I don't know why, but I get this webcomic feel from it.

I keep wanting to read dr Stone,because it looks good, but haven't gone beyond chapter 1 yet. :(

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah. It feels very flat and it doesn't even do fanservice very well. Scholar guy doesn't even come across as very smart. Mostly just a bit of a dick.

I don't know why, but I get this webcomic feel from it.

I keep wanting to read dr Stone,because it looks good, but haven't gone beyond chapter 1 yet. :(

It has a giant owl, Stone doesnt have a giant owl.

Hoo hoo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

It looks like in general that out of the current set of Jump Start series it got the most buzz. Viz even pushed it on the US side.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's because of the giant owl, as previously stated.

It's really big.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dr. Stone is lots of fun

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Noah's Notes first three chapters added up to an interesting premise to me but given the bad guy it sets up it could really screw it up (i.e. becoming a battle manga) or go a more Dr. Stone route.

Mirai (the heroine) is alright, even as someone who is basically there to get stuff explained to them. I got the impression she's quicker on the uptake than she looks.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

she'd have to be considering her whole thing is "gently caress learning, I'm just gonna get married right out of high school anyway"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Wanting to be a housewife is fine tbh

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

intentionally bombing school because you want to coast off your husband isn't

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh so that's what her deal is, I thought she wasn't into history in particular.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Delightfully convoluted, this new chapter.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/246320/1

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

She just looks so happy in that last panel :unsmith:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
To not much surprise, Bozebeats got axed. The mangaka is a pretty good artist but the whole thing was pretty forgettable.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it was alright but I won't miss it

jujutsu kaisen on the other hand has my interest after catching up with what's translated. hope it turns out good

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah I'd definitely like to read more Jujutsu, it was a neat Jump Start and I like the MC. To be fair tho I also want to read more Ziga and Noah's Notes cause I'm easy to please with shonen manga.

In other news, the newest chapter of We Never Learn is all about Uruka and Nariyuki using English- like written in English- and it was hilarious in the original Japanese and I am so drat curious to find out how it is translated, both by scans and by the official release. Also as an English teacher in Japan, it was painfully relatable.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Checked out Noah's Notes, and yeah, it feels thoroughly mediocre to me. Like, the base concept is sort of neat, but I can't really imagine where they could head with it. The reset coming in 2022 makes sense for narrative tension, but it also means there's kind of a limit on how fantastical any of the Notes can be. Like, oh boy, a slightly better smartphone!

Also Noah is definitely the bad kind of super smart where he pretty much spouts off a bunch of stuff and you should totally accept it as true because this guy is really smart, the manga told you so. Although Dr. Stone pulls off a smart protagonist so incredibly well that I might be a bit harsh on that, but still.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
The 25 chapter test continues to prevail.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah I'd definitely like to read more Jujutsu, it was a neat Jump Start and I like the MC. To be fair tho I also want to read more Ziga and Noah's Notes cause I'm easy to please with shonen manga.

In other news, the newest chapter of We Never Learn is all about Uruka and Nariyuki using English- like written in English- and it was hilarious in the original Japanese and I am so drat curious to find out how it is translated, both by scans and by the official release. Also as an English teacher in Japan, it was painfully relatable.

Jamini already has translated it two days ago.
translated chapter

It was kinda funny at the start, but it's not the best. Still cute though.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Darth TNT posted:

Jamini already has translated it two days ago.
translated chapter

It was kinda funny at the start, but it's not the best. Still cute though.

Oh dang, I guess I shoulda checked there first haha. I think the comedy was amplified several times for me since the kind of poo poo Takemoto says when Nariyuki asks her to introduce herself is exactly the kind of stuff my students would say. Plus the full page of her stretching and stuff before taking off was just perfect.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The Viz translation was also really well done.
Takemoto is best girl.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Furuhashi is best girl, but Takemoto is Very Good.

And it was! Viz's also managed to convey when they were speaking Japanese vs English without doing the double-textbox thing which is pretty neat. Minus the part where she starts saying "very very -japanese word-" which is tough to do in one language.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kominami Senpai is best girl.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/manga/25497/grey

Classic out of print comic Grey made it to mangadex, its cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fmb5wkL8jbQ

This old anime ad sells it better than words could

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I started reading Slam Dunk because I'm caught with up with Vagabond and needed more Inoue and oh man the fight vs Mitsui and the other thugs, when the teacher walks in and Mitsui just breaks down, hit me like a ton of bricks.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Pierson posted:

I started reading Slam Dunk because I'm caught with up with Vagabond and needed more Inoue and oh man the fight vs Mitsui and the other thugs, when the teacher walks in and Mitsui just breaks down, hit me like a ton of bricks.

Slam Dunk is super good, contrary to other sports manga it doesn't go on forever, and the ending is extremely satisfying.

The left hand is for support only.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dramatic things happen, in the assassin from another world comic

http://merakiscans.com/goodbye-isekai-tensei/3/

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hinomaru Zumou actually kinda continues to impress a bit even if it skipped straight to what I think is the end. It actually acknowledged the racism in the discussion of Japanese Sumo that had kinda simmered as standard Japanese nationalism up until now in the story.

A big thing about the stable owners and long-time pros the series featured before was bitterness at the (real life) fact that Japanese Sumo Wrestling had been basically totally dominated by foreigners, particularly Mongolians (...nevermind sumo originated from Mongolian Wrestling but whatever). A lot of adult characters grumble about Jinou, a Mongolian who is and has been Yokozuna for a while and pretty much has crushed everyone relentlessly his whole time at the top. The point of them cultivating all of the promising up-and-comer wrestlers like Hinomaru and company was about creating Japanese wrestlers who could finally defeat the dreaded Mongolian and take back their "rightful" place as the Japanese rulers of a Japanese sport.

Jinou easily defeats the poo poo out of the strongest guy Hinomaru fought to this point (for the 10th time) and in an emotional outburst basically says he's so disappointed in current sumo he's going to just retire if he wins the next tournament and let the remainder of the Japanese wrestlers fight over who was second-best forever. He really loves the sport and has kept himself in top shape his whole career, and he openly calls out the racism in the fact that despite his accomplishments that Japanese people will just say he was the Yokozuna in an "era of weaklings" to diminish him because he's foreign. The young pros basically call gather and tell him they'll never be satisfied as wrestlers if they get the title without challenging and defeating him, because they respect him and they want to prove they won't disappoint him. It's kinda cool after basically the rest of the series seeming like :argh: at the evil foreign dude until now.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 26, 2018

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ok Shonen thread. I'm kind of interested in reading/watching some silly fantasy stories, and Slayers has always been there as part of the background radiation of Japanese media. So let's say I wanted to consume some Slayers. There are like a dozen different manga and anime versions out there, based off what I understand was originally a light novel series. Which ones are particularly worth reading/watching or staying the hell away from?

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Apr 28, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I think for Slayers you just watch the anime. I think you can just start from the beginning for that, it's never had any reboots or anything.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Oh I guess Tokyopop did release some of the light novels in English a while back. Dunno if they're worth reading or not and I assume Tokyopop died before they released the entire series.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Just watch the five seasons of the anime in order. They're good, they're fun, and they don't need any of the side materials.

God I miss 90s anime.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jaimini's Box has picked up Noah's Notes and has finally gotten to Chapter 4, which is the first chapter after the 3 Viz translated officially for its Jump Start.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/noah-s-notes/en/0/4/page/1

So I guess the Templar are pretty much the Templar from Assassin's Creed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Jaimini's Box has picked up Noah's Notes and has finally gotten to Chapter 4, which is the first chapter after the 3 Viz translated officially for its Jump Start.

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/noah-s-notes/en/0/4/page/1

So I guess the Templar are pretty much the Templar from Assassin's Creed.

I feel like chapter 5 is going to make or break this series, depending on how they deal with this guy, though this chapter felt pretty good. I liked how they tried to get rid of the guys.

Somewhat related due to both having smart protagonists, I recently binge read dr Stone. It is an awesome series and I 10 billion percent love it.

There's this really strange combination of realism and fantasy going on. Like the characters are completely fantasy, but then the way they transfered history in the tribe is just crazy enough to sound realistic. Same with some of the things they've made. I guess the reliance on science forces him to be grounded more than most other series.

I do miss Taiju after so long. :( I look forward to seeing them again.

It's really quite unfortunate for Noah's notes to be sharing the time with dr Stone. It does invite some comparisons that it can't answer (yet).