Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I may have posted about this before but today I got on a Greg Giraldo You Tube things and started binging on an old failed CC show hosted by Colin Quinn called "Tough Crowd". I like edgy, roast oriented comedy - Greg Giraldo in particular - so some of it was still really funny but, god drat. You listen to to some of this stuff in context or, especially with the benefit of hindsight, and it's just awful.

Comedy can age terribly and going through some of these shows post 9/11 and leading up to the Iraq invasion is...well...incredible, honestly. It makes me want to go back and watch old news talk shows and poo poo in the context that they were originally aired. I wonder how an old Bill Maher episode aired on 08/2001 might hold up, for instance.

Some of these comedians were surprisingly hawkish and, like most of the nation at the time, very pro Iraq invasion. The show had a lot of a problems and, by and large, doesn't hold up with a poo poo, but I appreciate what they were trying to do and they had some genuinely funny people on there. I kind of wish it had done better because when it was good it was really good and the spirit of it seemed well intentioned, but most of it was just comedians trying to score and dunk. Problem being they only shot about 50%.

It's worth checking out (all episodes are on YouTube) and a really interesting time capsule. For me anyway. I like it better than Politically Incorrect and Real Time , which are the closest comparisons I can come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of my all-time favourite movies is a Good Friday movie:

Is The Long Halloween a reference to this?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is The Long Halloween a reference to this?

I don't know, but I'd guess it's not. They're both influenced by noir storytelling so they're probably both referencing the Raymond Chandler novel The Long Goodbye.

Anyone who hasn't seen The Long Good Friday should give it a watch; it has one of my favourite endings of any movie.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

by the time a fart travels between bill maher's brain and his mouth it's already aged terribly

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I may have posted about this before but today I got on a Greg Giraldo You Tube things and started binging on an old failed CC show hosted by Colin Quinn called "Tough Crowd". I like edgy, roast oriented comedy - Greg Giraldo in particular - so some of it was still really funny but, god drat. You listen to to some of this stuff in context or, especially with the benefit of hindsight, and it's just awful.

Comedy can age terribly and going through some of these shows post 9/11 and leading up to the Iraq invasion is...well...incredible, honestly. It makes me want to go back and watch old news talk shows and poo poo in the context that they were originally aired. I wonder how an old Bill Maher episode aired on 08/2001 might hold up, for instance.

Some of these comedians were surprisingly hawkish and, like most of the nation at the time, very pro Iraq invasion. The show had a lot of a problems and, by and large, doesn't hold up with a poo poo, but I appreciate what they were trying to do and they had some genuinely funny people on there. I kind of wish it had done better because when it was good it was really good and the spirit of it seemed well intentioned, but most of it was just comedians trying to score and dunk. Problem being they only shot about 50%.
It was also a New York show.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

BiggerBoat posted:

It's worth checking out (all episodes are on YouTube) and a really interesting time capsule. For me anyway. I like it better than Politically Incorrect and Real Time , which are the closest comparisons I can come up with.

I liked the episode where Giraldo dunks on Leary after he told Giraldo he writes too many jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymltNm4p2VY&t=199s

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FactsAreUseless posted:

Speaking of, The Critic has aged better than most but still... uh, well-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr13Y-wu3nU&t=849s

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Ghost Leviathan posted:

See also airport shenanigans in the climax of romantic comedies.

Like that episode of Full House where Stephanie and Michelle are going on a plane to Oakland, California and end up on one to Auckland, New Zealand instead. How is that possible? You definitely need a passport and to go through customs to go from the US to NZ.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

At the time of production passports weren’t issued to children tho

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Why would you take a plane from San Francisco to Oakland anyway?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Detective No. 27 posted:

Why would you take a plane from San Francisco to Oakland anyway?

Have you see the traffic?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Have you see the traffic?

Take the BART. But avoid the AIDS needles hidden in the seats.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Take the BART. But avoid the AIDS needles hidden in the seats.

God drat.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not sure what that means.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 12:08 on Apr 11, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure what that means.
I just noticed a lot more (justifiable) anger coming from New York-based shows around that time.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Speaking of 9/11 media, Reign Over Me using it to shill for a video game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just noticed a lot more (justifiable) anger coming from New York-based shows around that time.

Ah, got it. I thought you meant "They're from New York so they're automatically rude obnoxious assholes". Still finding listening to some of these fascinating. It's not aging oddly like a regular old scripted sitcom that's a product of its time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's utterly bizarre that anyone believed the second Iraq war was justified. Maybe it's because I'm on the opposite coast in California, but pretty much nobody here believed in it. Everyone thought it was a scam from day one. Even me when I was just a dumb high school kid.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

It's utterly bizarre that anyone believed the second Iraq war was justified. Maybe it's because I'm on the opposite coast in California, but pretty much nobody here believed in it. Everyone thought it was a scam from day one. Even me when I was just a dumb high school kid.

The slides of mobile chemical weapons labs were pretty convincing. That bullshit removed any trust I had left in the US and it's intelligence services.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

oldpainless posted:

At the time of production passports weren’t issued to children tho
I was six when I got my first passport. Nixon was in the White House at the time. :nixon:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Mu Zeta posted:

That was a good time to find out that your favorite comedians were jingoist shitheads, at least. Got that out of the way nice and early in my life.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

BgRdMchne posted:

The slides of mobile chemical weapons labs were pretty convincing. That bullshit removed any trust I had left in the US and it's intelligence services.

You mean the" You can fit a chemical weapons lab in a shipping container. Trucks can carry shipping containers. There are trucks in Iraq. Therefore Iraq has chemical weapons."

Yeah, loving infallible.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gorilla Salad posted:

You mean the" You can fit a chemical weapons lab in a shipping container. Trucks can carry shipping containers. There are trucks in Iraq. Therefore Iraq has chemical weapons."

Yeah, loving infallible.

It's not like you can't put a chemical lab inside of a shipping container, because it's entirely feasible that someone could do it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Iron Crowned posted:

It's not like you can't put a chemical lab inside of a shipping container, because it's entirely feasible that someone could do it.

I don't think you understand the issue there

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

purple death ray posted:

I don't think you understand the issue there

I mean I get it that the logic was all shipping containers were mobile chemical labs, I'm just saying it's not impossible to do. I currently work on mobile medical equipment, and you'd be surprised at what can go into an envelope the size of a shipping container.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm just saying it's not impossible to do.

No one suggested that, though. That's why we're so confused.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean I get it that the logic was all shipping containers were mobile chemical labs, I'm just saying it's not impossible to do. I currently work on mobile medical equipment, and you'd be surprised at what can go into an envelope the size of a shipping container.

I think we've all seen Breaking Bad, thank you. The issue is not that they could or could not do it, it's that the fact they could do it was being held up as evidence that they did do it.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Speaking of 9/11 media, Reign Over Me using it to shill for a video game.

Counterpoint: Shadow of the Colossus owned.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

You are very, very stupid.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I was six when I got my first passport. Nixon was in the White House at the time. :nixon:

Are you sure? This is very unsettling

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
It seemed clear at the time to me as a high schooler that the war in iraq was getting cooked up but I'd tell people and they--even adult teachers!!--would act like i was treasoning america

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BgRdMchne posted:

Even before that there was also a lot of misinformation around. Plus let's be honest here; Saddam wasn't exactly a nice guy.

I was actually supportive at the time. Now note that I was still a teenager at the time and also am from pretty rural conditions. The mobile chemical labs bullshit was actually the turning point where my opinion switched to "wow, gently caress this." As terrible as Saddam was that was when I realized that we ultimately went to play in the sandbox for utterly bullshit reasons.

Looking back it feels kind of weird that like 70% of Americans supported Bush Jr. and thought the Iraq war was a good idea but well...times were different.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Even before that there was also a lot of misinformation around. Plus let's be honest here; Saddam wasn't exactly a nice guy.

I was actually supportive at the time. Now note that I was still a teenager at the time and also am from pretty rural conditions. The mobile chemical labs bullshit was actually the turning point where my opinion switched to "wow, gently caress this." As terrible as Saddam was that was when I realized that we ultimately went to play in the sandbox for utterly bullshit reasons.

Looking back it feels kind of weird that like 70% of Americans supported Bush Jr. and thought the Iraq war was a good idea but well...times were different.

(looks at 2016 election results)

No, times were exactly the same.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Deep in fort Meed in a rectangular building covered in glass,
a millitary man asks you a question,
"how many countries are we at war with right now?"
You start to count on your fingers,
you start to name the countries.
but he laughs and says, your going to need more hands.

A young man just given top secret clearance,
is seated at a computer labeled 'top secret clearance' and he types his password in.
the screen begins to fill with asses and assholes.
more and more asses, more and more assholes.
so he calls the supervisor.
and the superviser says "thats what we do here, those might be terrorist assholes."

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Kay Kessler posted:

Counterpoint: Shadow of the Colossus owned.

That movie was sappy trash for the most part, but its use of Shadow of the Colossus was actually very thematically appropriate, and I remember being impressed by that at the time.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Thursday Next posted:

Roseanne actually aged extremely well; it's still a great show. But the episode where Roseanne walks out of the plastics factory job (end of season 1) is unbelievable. Her boss is so insanely over the top sexist that she'd be turning away crowds of lawyers begging to take her case.

All the bosses on the show are white men with 0 skills, and the show doesn't address it or mock it.

Also, the show references them buying their 3-bedroom house for $30,000.

I work in manufacturing and all the bosses in real life are white men with 0 skills and sexual harrassment is so rampant that I, a white man, was butt-groped by a supervisor more than once.

If anything, that episode was toned down for tv.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I was for the war, and not because Saddam had anything to do with 9/11. In retrospect it was a bad idea implemented badly, but at the time I believed we had valid reasons for going to war.

Which was the mistake because now I know it's stupid to invite war. Even when things do go your way, there's always unforeseen problems or unintended circumstances. You pretty much go all in or stay home. Had we done that it still would have been a bad idea, but it might not have been as bad an idea for as long.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

I work in manufacturing and all the bosses in real life are white men with 0 skills and sexual harrassment is so rampant that I, a white man, was butt-groped by a supervisor more than once.

If anything, that episode was toned down for tv.

It's not just manufacturing. I worked in a Sales adjacent position and it was more or less exactly the same story.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Monkey posted:

It's not just manufacturing. I worked in a Sales adjacent position and it was more or less exactly the same story.

double same, industrial maintenance

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You can literally follow that chain all the way to the highest halls of power on the planet now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
We watched the movie North Country this year and some of my students initially thought it was a ludicrously exaggerated representation of sexual harassment, and then learned that all the instances in the film were drawn from actual incidents in the irl mine. My understanding is that seemingly mindboggling and horrific levels of institutionalized sexual harassment were extremely common in many or most industries in the past to a level it's hard to wrap your head around