Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

:vince: that is my voice coordinating that whole thing. I had no idea that video existed. Thank you.

I hate my voice.

I think you're in a couple more of these.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPMuWCO_pxtbKujWv-sjC0Rqx53YcrU-C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

This game has sucked the joy out of my MekHQ AtB game because I just want to be playing HBS instead.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

My all-time favourite of these MWO shenanigans is that one video where goons were pretend-tryharding to take the piss out of some clan or other. The best part was one guy always calling "Fox 2" every time he launched a missile. You know, for every single missile. From his two LRM-20s. :allears:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Don just said in Discord that Flamers now have 6 ammo.

Perestroika posted:

My all-time favourite of these MWO shenanigans is that one video where goons were pretend-tryharding to take the piss out of some clan or other. The best part was one guy always calling "Fox 2" every time he launched a missile. You know, for every single missile. From his two LRM-20s. :allears:
For those who are curious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w13_uTNW7cc

Ohgod my legacy of poo poo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 12, 2018

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

MWO was so good early on. :allears:

Too bad it went to poo poo.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 12, 2018

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Anyone got the video where we took choice quotes from the forums and voiced them? I still have the recordings I provided for that. :v:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

I still remember dropping with my rhino Stalker 3F as part of a Goon Lance in an otherwise pubbie game, two of the Goons got a kill each, I got nine kills, nobody else on our team got a kill and most of them did sub 100 damage as everyone but me and one idiot on our team died. He had not contributed at all and was in a fresh mech, then got killed by the final enemy remaining.

As I was facing off against the last enemy mech in my armour stripped and half gutted Stalker, with all my ammunition expended and nine kills on he scoreboard? Some pubbie was whining in chat about 'Goon newbs' dragging the team down and how it was our fault.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Oh man, the time we rolled all flamers back when they were useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI9c7wfoLuI

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Patrat posted:

I still remember dropping with my rhino Stalker 3F as part of a Goon Lance in an otherwise pubbie game, two of the Goons got a kill each, I got nine kills, nobody else on our team got a kill and most of them did sub 100 damage as everyone but me and one idiot on our team died. He had not contributed at all and was in a fresh mech, then got killed by the final enemy remaining.

As I was facing off against the last enemy mech in my armour stripped and half gutted Stalker, with all my ammunition expended and nine kills on he scoreboard? Some pubbie was whining in chat about 'Goon newbs' dragging the team down and how it was our fault.

That reminds me of the time I drat well solo'd an entire team back in the beta, when it was still 8v8. I was in an SRM-boat Stalker with some MLs as backup weapons, and I was just idly strolling along in this game full of only randos, minding my own business as I occasionally blew people up. I was actually feeling rather proud of myself since I had managed to get six kills in a really short period of time (again, a bunch of complete newbie randos on both sides), but only when I realized I was the last person on my team, and that a Jenner was circling me like a shark did I start to get concerned. As it turned out, each team had exactly one competent player with a competently-built mech on each side and we had each basically solo'd each other's team, leaving only the two of us still standing.

And I immediately realized I was at the disadvantage, because I was in an Assault out in the open being cut up by an rear end in a top hat with almost as many lasers as I had.

I spent a good minute of floundering out in the bay of the city map. All the while getting mocked and poo poo-talked pretty mercilessly as "so bad" by both the rando idiots on the other team (all but one of whom had previously been blown up by me) as well as my own KO'd, incompetent teammates (at least five of whom were killed by a single Jenner) for my Stalker's turning speed being unable to match the Jenner's run. After my entire left side was blown off bit by bit, I decided on a desperation play to salvage the situation. On the city map, by the docks, there were some low buildings just tall enough to block LOS, and one particular alley between these buildings had only a single entrance. In normal circumstances there is literally no reason to go into this dead end alleyway. But my rear armor was almost gone and I had nothing to lose so I slowly reversed into it while the Jenner tried admirably to kill me with papercuts before I got in.

But I did get in, and suddenly everything changed.

Now the Jenner had to run circuits around the block to try to safely hit me while I could plink away at him with my lasers every time he passed in front of the alley. This managed to continue for another minute and a half as the tone of the chatter changed. Suddenly the dumbasses on my team realized I had a chance at winning it for them. Meanwhile the dead randos on the other guy's team were trying to cheer him on, telling him he could finish me, telling him not to give up, "the Stalker's half-dead" and he was nearly undamaged. Nearly, because after every pass across the alley I was wearing him down little by little, and the nature of torso twisting and the Jenner's run speed meant his window to hit me was actually pretty small. A lot of his lasers actually went wide because he started playing it safe when he realized I was getting some real hits in. Because I was getting familiar with the timing of his Jenner's run I even landed a hit with half a salvo from my last SRMs, though I don't think he realized that was actually my last salvo because he backed off for a second, worried that I might land another big hit. But I was on the edge of my seat, because I was much, much closer to death than he was. I think he and his team knew it, because his approach changed. The chatter stopped, presumably because they had moved to the teamchat channel and didn't want to clue me in to their strategizing.

After a brief respite, one that felt a lot longer than it actually was, he swung back around for another shot. My CT was deep in the red while his was barely orange. When I didn't fire my SRMs he must've realized I'd gone dry, so that was his chance to make a big play. On his final pass, he actually slowed down. He was taking careful aim to try to core my Stalker while I only had three MLs remaining compared to his four. In one, maybe two full bursts of lasers I would've been out, while his CT could hold out, especially if my aim was shaky and spread damage out to other locations. I was going to take a humbling and embarrassing loss, a Goon in a cheesy SRM-boat Assault brought low by a more genuinely skilled pilot in a light. That would've been a story some people on the official forums would've liked.

But while his CT was barely orange, his HD was a little more so. And it was smack dab in center mass. I held my breath and brought my crosshairs down onto his head.

That was the most satisfying match I'd ever played in MWO and I'm so irritated I didn't have the means to record it. But the lack of video evidence to contradict me means I don't have to worry about factual inaccuracies or contradicting any of the tonal embellishments I made for dramatic effect.

In the end I won a match with 7 kills out of 8 total players thanks to the mild, and also kind of dumb, resourcefulness required to sit myself in an alleyway to keep from getting cut to pieces by a better player in a Jenner who could run faster than my mech could turn. And that's all that really matters.

Runa fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 12, 2018

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Q&A with HBS is starting shortly on the Paradox stream:
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Fender
Oct 9, 2000
Mechanical Bunny Rabbits!
Dinosaur Gum
I've got a fun MWO story!

I was arguing on these very message boards with that VW-guy, whose name I can't remember. I think he's still around; you know who I'm talking about. He had some argument that the D-DC was the best Atlas, and I was all like naw it's the RS. It seemd like an important argument at the time. The next time I fired up the game he was online and immediately invited me to a lance. I pulled out my RS and I can't remember what he brought. It doesn't matter.

The map was River City and I strolled out to the middle of the water in my 4xLL 1xGauss Atlas-RS and proceeded to lay waste to the entire enemy team. I was super good at mechs for a while, and for this story I was at the top of my game. 7 out of 8 kills were mine and it wasn't even a challenge. And the absolute best part was that there were 3 PGI employees on the enemy team. I like to think I played some small part in putting the final nails in MWO as this happened right before ghost heat.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Anyone got their backer kit key yet? I imagine it'll be sometime next week maybe?

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Anyone got their backer kit key yet? I imagine it'll be sometime next week maybe?
I think they said backer keys will come a day or two before launch.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TipsyMcStagger posted:

They said previously we'll get our keys "a few days" before release, so maybe the end of next week or Sunday/Monday the following.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Zaodai posted:

Q&A with HBS is starting shortly on the Paradox stream:
https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

So far they avoided every single question relating to gameplay so I guess this is only going to be silly fluffy stuff, not really surprising but I was hoping that they might discuss one or two topics like how they feel about reworking some of the mechwarrior skills so close to release (Juggernaut still sounds almost completely useless)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Eh, they answered fairly directly about weapon balance and lance sizes.

Though the answer to the question about quad mechs was my favorite. "In success, all things are possible. But not quad mechs, gently caress you."

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

What did they say about weapon balance, I must have missed that

I'd also like to know if the current "mech build from salvage" mechanic as seen in stream is final because it seems extremely weird and you would have thought that it was a really easy question

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The answer about weapon balance is basically that weapon balance will always be in flux, to be adjusted in the future so bitching about pre-launch balance changes is kind of pointless. There is no "final" balance patch, as it'll get tweaked even after launch.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Fender posted:

I've got a fun MWO story!

I was arguing on these very message boards with that VW-guy, whose name I can't remember. I think he's still around; you know who I'm talking about. He had some argument that the D-DC was the best Atlas, and I was all like naw it's the RS. It seemd like an important argument at the time. The next time I fired up the game he was online and immediately invited me to a lance. I pulled out my RS and I can't remember what he brought. It doesn't matter.

The map was River City and I strolled out to the middle of the water in my 4xLL 1xGauss Atlas-RS and proceeded to lay waste to the entire enemy team. I was super good at mechs for a while, and for this story I was at the top of my game. 7 out of 8 kills were mine and it wasn't even a challenge. And the absolute best part was that there were 3 PGI employees on the enemy team. I like to think I played some small part in putting the final nails in MWO as this happened right before ghost heat.

Vdubfreak lol
Quad LL + gauss was life

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Im considering reinstalling mwo again, but the thought of those new skill trees is a major bummer. Love flying around a locust tho

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Stop posting about the MWO glory days, you're gonna make me want to reinstall it.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Those are some serious rose tinted specs people have, the further back in MWO's development you go the worse the netcode and rubber banding gets.

The game would be fun if only they'd get rid of the rampant cheating.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think everyone should reinstall MWO today because you'll probably be mad at it again in a week and then it'll be just a couple days until an actually good BT game comes out

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'll probably actually give MWO a shot again when they release that Solaris mode. Likely still end up mad at it, but hey, it might be cool.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Zaodai posted:

The answer about weapon balance is basically that weapon balance will always be in flux, to be adjusted in the future so bitching about pre-launch balance changes is kind of pointless. There is no "final" balance patch, as it'll get tweaked even after launch.

OK maybe I did hear it but mentally wrote it off as a no content comment.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

More people should join the discord tbh. Lots to learn there.

Yes that salvage mechanic is final, but the number of parts required to finish a mech is something that you'll be able to edit in a Jason.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
I heard from a dude that the Shadowrun combat AI has sliders and other technical whatsits to GM you a lot, enemies getting harder to hit and being more accurate when your squad was pristine and easing off when you were in trouble. Apart from the :xcom: probabilities I didn't notice this, so I'm wondering whether this is true or not. I heard Mike in the latest stream mention making stuff harder if you were having a good run, or something to that effect so I'm a little anxious. I wouldn't mind coming up against a campaign like Phrosphor's Shithawk Surprise if I was raking in salvage and C-Bills for ages, but affecting the hit chances in a fight if I'm doing well seems a little bullshit to me. Hopefully it's all in my head but still. :ohdear:

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

School Nickname posted:

I heard from a dude that the Shadowrun combat AI has sliders and other technical whatsits to GM you a lot, enemies getting harder to hit and being more accurate when your squad was pristine and easing off when you were in trouble. Apart from the :xcom: probabilities I didn't notice this, so I'm wondering whether this is true or not. I heard Mike in the latest stream mention making stuff harder if you were having a good run, or something to that effect so I'm a little anxious. I wouldn't mind coming up against a campaign like Phrosphor's Shithawk Surprise if I was raking in salvage and C-Bills for ages, but affecting the hit chances in a fight if I'm doing well seems a little bullshit to me. Hopefully it's all in my head but still. :ohdear:

We've had three Shadowrun games and I don't ever remember any talk about this. If it did that it was pretty awful at it because on regular difficulty you can get through the games basically without a scratch.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

School Nickname posted:

It was just confirmed in the Discord that this isn't a thing.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

School Nickname posted:

We asked Kiva in the discord, she confirmed "there is no background fuckery with your hit percentages in that way. There is a streak-breaking code that tries to force a hit if you've had nothing but misses for awhile, but other than the streak-breaker, the percentages are accurate." and "Streak-breaker doesn't apply to the AI, either, and the AI is unaware of it".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

School Nickname posted:

This is terrible bullshit that dumbass coddled mommy's boys who throw tantrums on forums make up in their heads to make themselves feel better about being bad when they are at full health. Ignore it.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

More people should join the discord tbh. Lots to learn there.

Yes that salvage mechanic is final, but the number of parts required to finish a mech is something that you'll be able to edit in a Jason.

Man I am usually the last person to be all "my verisimlitude" but this is probably never going to feel OK to me. I can understand for balance reasons why this might be the case (if you're getting owned a lot and your mechs are always being repaired then you wouldn't be able to construct new mechs if they needed to go through a repair-like process) but it's totally crazy that it's faster and cheaper to rebuild a mech out of a bunch of wreckage than it is to either repair an existing mech or pull it out of storage and get it back in full working order.

Also apparently they just stopped sidestrafe from streaming because he played too much and was showing off stuff which I guess they're not comfortable about being shown off. I hope that this means that there's going to be more differences between the 'streamer build' and the final build than I was anticipating (which was basically zero other than bug fixes and possible weapon balance adjustments)

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.
Confirmed, the percentages are accurate. Actually, SR's percentages were accurate, too, and that drove people crazy because everyone's trained on cheaty percentages like the ones in XCOM, and so they're infuriated by an 80% miss.

The streak-breaking code -- actually, you know, I'm not even sure it got implemented, now that I think about it. Huh. I should ask. Anyway it was just a subtle tweak to hit chances if we noticed you'd missed a bunch of bullshit shots.

edit: no, looks like we never actually did the streak-breaking. So the percentages you see are accurate.

isildur fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 12, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

RabidWeasel posted:

Also apparently they just stopped sidestrafe from streaming because he played too much and was showing off stuff which I guess they're not comfortable about being shown off. I hope that this means that there's going to be more differences between the 'streamer build' and the final build than I was anticipating (which was basically zero other than bug fixes and possible weapon balance adjustments)
If the reason they stopped him isnt "He was awful and made the game look bad" then I dont know what to say.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Paradox are now saying "it was supposed to be a time limited streaming thing but we didn't tell anyone" which sounds made up to me but apparently some of the other streamers are going to be able to continue streaming because of GoG affiliation or something but I don't even know.

If the reason they stopped him isnt "He was awful and made the game look bad" then I dont know what to say.

I mean, he made me want to play the game because I am fairly confident that I can spend less than 5 minutes choosing which spot to move to every single time, so mission accomplished :v:

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

At the very least I learned to avoid his stream, and to recognize that anyone who suggests watching his streams for other games is a loving idiot, also to be avoided.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
For the love of god stop talking about MWO, it hurts too much.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Dramicus posted:

For the love of god stop talking about MWO, it hurts too much.

PGITSD

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I made this forever ago, but it feels appropriate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
You guys having MWO PTSD in here?

Ghost Heat