Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Guys, what alignment is Hugo Chavez?

Is the North Korea guy Lawful because he the laws are built around him, or is he Chaotic because he uses the country for his own benefit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Richly Evil (the Koch brothers).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Aztec posted:

True Neutral, as befit any non-animated corpse.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Is the North Korea guy Lawful because he the laws are built around him, or is he Chaotic because he uses the country for his own benefit

He's Lawful, but Trump is Chaotic.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

PMush Perfect posted:

The WoW alignment axes are

Tank/DPS/Healer
Alliance/Panda/Horde

Let me just say this: if anyone thinks the alignment arguments here are bad, don't go to the WoW lore thread. It's like a mobius strip of people calling orcs and zombies literally Hitler.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cabbit posted:

Let me just say this: if anyone thinks the alignment arguments here are bad, don't go to the WoW lore thread. It's like a mobius strip of people calling orcs and zombies literally Hitler.

I didn't get very far into wow but the head zombie at the time I tinkered with it last was trying to create a plague to genocide all living things so she kind of is

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Len posted:

I didn't get very far into wow but the head zombie at the time I tinkered with it last was trying to create a plague to genocide all living things so she kind of is

No, omnicide is cartoon villain. Even xykon would find it trite

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Len posted:

Is she bad? is she misunderstood? is she capable of a redemption arc? did she reaaaaally start the latest war? Is creating a plague to genocide living things any worse than using magic spells or swords to genocide living things like the player characters usually do? Is it really genocide if you rez them as undead afterwards? etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

for the love of god don't try to answer any of the questions I just asked.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 12, 2018

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Crossing the streams would be bad. You're going to endanger us. You're going to endanger our thread, the nice place to talk about OotS before it became an alignment debate.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Let's all discuss the parallels of the Monster in the Darkness and Plato's cave rather than all of this, thank you

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Johnny Aztec posted:

He's Lawful in the context of North Korea, and Chaotic in the context of the world stage.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

D1Sergo posted:

Is she bad? is she misunderstood? is she capable of a redemption arc? did she reaaaaally start the latest war? Is creating a plague to genocide living things any worse than using magic spells or swords to genocide living things like the player characters usually do? Is it really genocide if you rez them as undead afterwards? etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

for the love of god don't try to answer any of the questions I just asked.

Undead are bad therefore so is she. Game set and match.

:colbert:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The undead are such gross, icky things.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ikanreed posted:

The undead are such gross, icky things.

Rude. Judging people on their appearance is rude. How bad could they be?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjMiDZIY1bM

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
All consumption under capitalism is lawful evil.

*kickflips back to LF circa 2008*

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Cabbit you loving lunatic what have you done

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Eox posted:

Cabbit you loving lunatic what have you done

I suppose this is a poor time to mention that my favorite D&D character I played of all time was neutral evil with a strong penchant for solipsism. :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What alignment is Timecube

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

PMush Perfect posted:

What alignment is Timecube

Slaad Neutral.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

sebmojo posted:

lol ok

e: also, explain how you'd do V's temptation without the alignment grid

I'm not sure you can do the dismissive lol while apparently being unable to understand character motivations without reference to the autist theology of a tabletop roleplaying game

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
New alignment chart, with a TimeCube (educated stupid-nature's harmonic 4 simultaneous days) axis and a Hybrid axis (rule #259-rule #38).

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Has alignment ever been used for something other than justifying mass murder in the game?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lt. Danger posted:

I'm not sure you can do the dismissive lol while apparently being unable to understand character motivations without reference to the autist theology of a tabletop roleplaying game

gygax is my lodestar

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

e X posted:

Has alignment ever been used for something other than justifying mass murder in the game?

All the time. Mostly it comes up when the GM casts spells like Word of Chaos or Blasphemy and wants to know which party members get wrecked the hardest.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

Shugojin posted:

Let's all discuss the parallels of the Monster in the Darkness and Plato's cave rather than all of this, thank you

The parallels are many, for the prisoners of the cave sit forever in darkness, just as the MitD is forever in darkness. Also, none have a blessed clue what's actually going on around them (although MitD seems to have suddenly become more savvy, lately).

Come to think, can we peg a specific point where Monsty became smart enough to pick up on (and understand) the whole "Pan-goblinoid mythology to elide pre-existing racial tensions" thing?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If I had to pick a moment, it'd be when he saved O-Chul and V.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm not sure MoD was dumb exactly, just an alien sort of intelligence, or even just very young. It naively accepted whatever it was told by the people who fed it, the way a child accepts information from its guardians. O-Chul taught it to think for itself and make its own decisions, but he wouldn't have been able to do that if the mental capacity simply wasn't there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He was always smart, just oblivious and childish. O'chul got his eyes open.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

e X posted:

telling people they're playing their character wrong

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Man, I wonder what's going on in Goblins.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I hope Thunt is okay.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
Please be ok Rich, to make the neckbeards shut the gently caress up.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

TampaTango posted:

Please be ok Rich, to make the neckbeards shut the gently caress up.

But the more comics there are the more material they have to neckbeard about.

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
Neckbeards are the chaotic neutral of beards

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Speaking of necks, and beards, I had a thought about durkula - there was a plot point that he researched the 'make vampires quick' spell on the boat, but he'd still have to cast it loads of times. Does that mean he might be light on spells? How does the timing work?

e: oh right, teleport.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 15, 2018

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

New one!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Hilgaya(sp?)’s spells are pretty and she should cast more of them!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Chaos magic is good.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The limbo joke. :allears:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Nascent Evil Human Vampire is fast becoming my fave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The limbo joke. :allears:

I never thought Rich would stoop that low.