Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

abigserve posted:

It's to lesson the chance of the one house in the zone getting lucky and being the only cover in a huge field, that everyone has to run directly towards

No? It has nothing to do with that. It's to prevent games where the circle is on the opposite side multiple times in a row causing you to just run for 10 minutes+ trying to get in. A vehicle would also prevent that but hey, not even game goes as planned. If anything it will cause MORE games with the situation you mentioned, as you just have to pick a house in the center of the zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

abigserve posted:

This is just saying the chance of the zone picking way on the right or left of the circle is less likely as it gets smaller

It's to lesson the chance of the one house in the zone getting lucky and being the only cover in a huge field, that everyone has to run directly towards

That's fine in the final circles, but doing it in the 2nd/3rd circles just means we'll get less final circles near the map borders (and those were uncommon to begin with).

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

So ... this poo poo is going live shortly I guess?

https://twitter.com/PUBG_help/status/984207520381087744

I'm down, let's do this

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Shannow posted:

RIP my lucky red leather coat :(

I might have to ditch my Waldo suit now.
I would just switch up clothes depending on map.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Elman posted:

That's fine in the final circles, but doing it in the 2nd/3rd circles just means we'll get less final circles near the map borders (and those were uncommon to begin with).

Yeah I misread it, I thought it was only the final few circles but doing it starting from the second seems a bit dumb

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

No Safe Word posted:

I'm down, let's do this
I thiiiink this was the stuff that was already on the test server going live, to make room for testing those new changes.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

No Safe Word posted:

I'm down, let's do this

I wonder if they will also fix the rampant issues that plague me, such as my framerate going in the shitter as soon as I hear gunshots.

Or ADS.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

oddium posted:

same except the circle ended up south of impala and we won

When I did it, someone else had dropped with me for some reason. We both learned that there is 1 loot pile in the entire area. I thought it would be like a mobile home neighborhood you could go in but no it's literally nothing.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

drunken officeparty posted:

I dropped trailer park once. It was the worst decision of my life.

Also not a fan of a shorter first circle. That's prime lootin time.

I think that's part of the point, making the early game a frenetic "get what you can and get in!" Rather than a leisurely run from building to building until you get your perfect setup with all attachments and L3 gear. So you may have to just make do with that uzi and shotgun. I'm ok with that, it feels in keeping with the spirit of the game.

I still think predictable, central circles isn't though. The appeal of PUBG is how the circle will ruin whatever plans you had going in.

In saying that, I may be biased because I won a round the other night where on 1v1 I was circle blessed twice in a row, with my hiding spot right on the edge of the circle being kept in-bounds both times, while the other guy who I heard shooting earlier had to traverse the full distance. All I had to do was keep still and watch the hill the noise came from for anyone crawling in the grass.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I wonder if they will also fix the rampant issues that plague me, such as my framerate going in the shitter as soon as I hear gunshots.

Or ADS.

If you're using Nvidia Freestyle, turn it off.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cinara posted:

If you're using Nvidia Freestyle, turn it off.

Is that what they meant by experiemental features?

gently caress man, why did none of the tens of articles I looked at for this not mention this once?

Edit: That worked, thanks friend!

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 12, 2018

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

How do you turn it off?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

neurotech posted:

How do you turn it off?

Uncheck this box, under settings in Geforce Experience.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I'm slightly bitter about them making more use of the north of miramar as that's been my fav spot to drop and there's some good building there. especially the pairing near the top left here. If the plane is going to the east of cobiera i'll drop there, grab a car and make my way to it hitting the good ones along the way.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

God, Miramar is so trash. 90% of my deaths come from assholes who hide just behind a ridge line with only their head showing (not even their gun is visible). I have to be pinpoint accurate to land a headshot, whereas they usually have my torso and head to aim at if I'm behind a tree or small wall, so they have a massive advantage. Amount of times I land a perfect headshot, obliterate their helmet, and they just walk back one step and are completely safe. Flip side, they just take potshots and slowly chunk down my health from body shots.

Erangel is just all around a much more enjoyable map to play on. Only aspect of Miramar I enjoy is the fighting that takes place in towns, but the rest of it is a garbage experience.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

try hiding just behind a ridge line with only your head showing op

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Shannow posted:

I'm slightly bitter about them making more use of the north of miramar as that's been my fav spot to drop and there's some good building there. especially the pairing near the top left here. If the plane is going to the east of cobiera i'll drop there, grab a car and make my way to it hitting the good ones along the way.

Why are you bitter? Apparently they added more high level loot to all this area that you like going to?

Miranmar is not so bad, just drop Hacienda or Pecado exclusively, if you are good you have a good chance of getting several kills and get good stuff. Otherwise you'll just die and be able to roll the die again to play Erangel.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
The circle showing while in the plane on Miramar is decidedly good and will allow for more of the map being used. There's plenty of places I'd like to drop if I didn't know there was a 60-70% chance of getting utterly hosed by the zone. Campo Militare is one such place. If you see the circle right away, you can limit your Campo Militare/Prison/whatever drops to rounds where those drops are actually in or near the circle, so you get to go to the cool places without having to play the vehicle lottery or die a pathetic death to the zone.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

drunken officeparty posted:

Also not a fan of a shorter first circle. That's prime lootin time.

I think that's the thing I'm looking forward to the least. As it is if I jump into a place with a good number of other players those first few minutes are a scramble for a weapon and running firefights. If you win you are often injured without much healing capability and low ammo for crap weapons. And you often haven't found a car. I can see changing my style a bit to avoid others more and prioritize a vehicle. It will be interesting to see how things change if people know the circle beforehand. I wonder how long you have on the ground before the blue starts in if you open your parachute immediately after jumping in an attempt to land far away from the flight path.

Otherwise, I love these changes!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I finally "got" Miramar but I still vastly prefer Erangel and would gladly remove the desert from the rotation if I could.

Also not a huge fan of the new circle times to be quite honest. I think they work fine in the new map but I'm of the opinion they overtuned it a bit for the old maps.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

oddium posted:

try hiding just behind a ridge line with only your head showing op

Yeah, wtf? He describes why he is bad at Miramar and how he should be playing instead but can't see it?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Yeah, wtf? He describes why he is bad at Miramar and how he should be playing instead but can't see it?

all my enemies are always behind a ridge and for some reason I can only find vast open fields! the terrain loot table always fucks me

Qubee
May 31, 2013

no need to be assholes. In Miramar, I either die in close quarters in a town, or when I'm running across open ground. I wouldn't exactly be complaining about the times I'm the one at the ridgeline killing people, now would I? that being said, it's still ridiculous. watching death cam, there's something going wrong with perspective, cause from my side, only the top of their head is showing, but on deathcam, it's almost as if their entire torso is above the ridgeline.

Miramar is also a snoozefest because of how far apart everything is, most of the game is just spent catching up to the circle or searching in vain for people to shoot at. Erangel just feels more action-oriented.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Cam anyone post a screenshot of what this head only peeking would look like from fpp?

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Q8ee posted:

Miramar is also a snoozefest because of how far apart everything is, most of the game is just spent catching up to the circle or searching in vain for people to shoot at. Erangel just feels more action-oriented.

I think the circle showing from the plane will do a lot to help this, as more people will land inside or near the zone, leading to a more evenly-populated midgame.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

Cam anyone post a screenshot of what this head only peeking would look like from fpp?

Next time it happens, I'll shadowplay it with the deathcam included. Literally all you're able to see is the top 2/3rds of their head. It happens exclusively on Miramar due to the terrain. People just camp ridgelines and it's next to impossible to kill them unless you're Shroud, cause bullets will land just beside their head. Even if you nail a headshot, most of the time they lose their helmet and just fall back to heal, whilst you're still stuck behind your tree being suppressed by their teammates.

When people peek around corners or the small walls with cracks / holes in them, it's nowhere near as infuriating, because it's usually their entire heads and maybe their neck and top of their torso that shows. But I really feel like something fucky is going on with perspective cause when the same tactic is used on a ridgeline, you barely see any of their exposed parts, despite the deathcam making it seem like a good chunk of their torso is visible.

The Mash posted:

I think the circle showing from the plane will do a lot to help this, as more people will land inside or near the zone, leading to a more evenly-populated midgame.

This would definitely help.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Looks like the Savage servers are being opened up again :toot:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/578080/announcements/detail/1651008443300198862

If you have a key they're saying it'll still be good- however they'll be re-opening that site to hand out additional ones to anyone who missed the last test.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Played a duos game last night on Miramar, dropped in San Martin to find... absolutely nobody. Our team was somehow the only one to decide dropping in a pretty big city was a good idea. Got my closest ever to winning that game too, we were the second place team. Managed to drop one of the last team but his pal got me.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Q8ee posted:

Next time it happens, I'll shadowplay it with the deathcam included. Literally all you're able to see is the top 2/3rds of their head. It happens exclusively on Miramar due to the terrain. People just camp ridgelines and it's next to impossible to kill them unless you're Shroud, cause bullets will land just beside their head. Even if you nail a headshot, most of the time they lose their helmet and just fall back to heal, whilst you're still stuck behind your tree being suppressed by their teammates.

When people peek around corners or the small walls with cracks / holes in them, it's nowhere near as infuriating, because it's usually their entire heads and maybe their neck and top of their torso that shows. But I really feel like something fucky is going on with perspective cause when the same tactic is used on a ridgeline, you barely see any of their exposed parts, despite the deathcam making it seem like a good chunk of their torso is visible.

Yeah I've noticed this too. It reminds me of Call of Duty, where your viewpoint and gun barrel are both at the top of your forehead so you can peek and shoot while still hiding behind cover. You'd think that wouldn't work in this game (hell, sometimes it's hard to shoot out of windows without hitting the railing).

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Glad someone has noticed it too so I don't just look like an average salty player pulling excuses out of thin air. It's very weird when it happens and makes your death feel unfair.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Hopefully with the new changes they'll put more vehicles around the edge of the maps. There are places like Georgopol that have a ton of houses but so few vehicles for a full squad.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Bullets in this game come out of your gun, not your eyes, so you cannot shoot over a hill with just the top of your head showing. You will hit the hill in front of you if you try this, even if your sight shows you on target. This is why the other poster above you has noted hitting the railing (windowsill) when shooting out of windows.

Also, Miramar is cool and good!

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Hopefully with the new changes they'll put more vehicles around the edge of the maps. There are places like Georgopol that have a ton of houses but so few vehicles for a full squad.

Right that's why you see so few squads going to Georgopol now. Oh wait...

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The new Oasis and surrounding region is chill af, I want to hang out there for real.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

willroc7 posted:

Right that's why you see so few squads going to Georgopol now. Oh wait...

In my games people jump into the south but north Georgopol and Zharki might get a couple of squads and then getting out is a problem without a vehicle because you don't want to try and run through South Georgopol and it takes a lot longer to run east along the river.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

willroc7 posted:

Bullets in this game come out of your gun, not your eyes, so you cannot shoot over a hill with just the top of your head showing. You will hit the hill in front of you if you try this, even if your sight shows you on target. This is why the other poster above you has noted hitting the railing (windowsill) when shooting out of windows.

Also, Miramar is cool and good!

It is a known issue with the terrain rendering in Miramar. What these posters are complaining about happens all the time because Miramar was badly made, as fun as it may sometimes be.

Similar to how, at a distance, you can see someone exposed on a Ridgeline but when you shoot your rounds hit the non existent dirt in front of them.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

It is a known issue with the terrain rendering in Miramar. What these posters are complaining about happens all the time because Miramar was badly made, as fun as it may sometimes be.

Similar to how, at a distance, you can see someone exposed on a Ridgeline but when you shoot your rounds hit the non existent dirt in front of them.

I have seen that bug a few times but I don't think Q8ee was complaining about. Sounds like he was just getting owned by people in better cover but I'm sure it's really a bug every time!

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I've seen choco and his regulars get owned by it a few times. The whole "from their perspective their torso is over the ridge so they can shoot unimpeded but from yours only the top of their head is showing so it's nearly impossible to hit them" thing.

It's weird and doesn't always happen but it's real.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

willroc7 posted:

I have seen that bug a few times but I don't think Q8ee was complaining about. Sounds like he was just getting owned by people in better cover but I'm sure it's really a bug every time!

I dunno, the person describes only being able to see heads on ridges when playing, but the replay shows that more of the shooter should have been visible. If they dialed in further, they may have found that shots just short of the head would hit terrain that is visible during the game, but not during the replay.

This describes pretty well the issue of terrain rendering bugs in Miramar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Ashrik posted:

I dunno, the person describes only being able to see heads on ridges when playing, but the replay shows that more of the shooter should have been visible. If they dialed in further, they may have found that shots just short of the head would hit terrain that is visible during the game, but not during the replay.

This describes pretty well the issue of terrain rendering bugs in Miramar.

He cites the super reliable deathcam only after getting called out in his first post about it, which reads plainly as someone getting beaten by better cover. The floating/nonrendering terrain bug is real but isn't as prevalent as you're making it out to be. Feel free to post clips to prove me wrong.

If someone crests a hill and shoots at you they have the advantage, plain and simple. That's the direct result of adding more elevation changes which were lacking in Erangel. It adds a lot more engagement variety from the tree-peeking meta that I and plenty others found pretty stale.

You can still shoot them in the head if you're good though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEZFF5IbD_o&t=1171s