Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the FBI does/did shity poo poo(like all law enforcement) but most of the truly awful racist poo poo(targeting of civil rights leaders/liberals/leftists) died with hoover. I doubt they are investigating obama or even clinton.

and it's not civil rights leaders but awful racist poo poo - most of their terror grabs are people they entrapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Groovelord Neato posted:

and it's not civil rights leaders but awful racist poo poo - most of their terror grabs are people they entrapped.

the fbi is really good at entrapping muslim teens for some weird reason

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

shadowvine118 posted:

My US History teacher went on a whole spiel last Monday about how it probably wasn’t Thomas Jefferson who raped Sally Hemings, but Jefferson’s brother or nephew.

your us history teacher, are they an american civil war reenactor?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lightning Knight posted:

I legit thought that book was so cool and right in seventh grade. Man I’m glad I read 1984 right after.

Eh, it wasn't a bad book it just isn't on the level of 1984. Heinlein even hangs a lampshade on the whole military dictatorship thing when it gets pointed out that well nobody really has any idea why it works it just does. Granted in the book literally anybody can enter the service and it isn't even guaranteed you'll be doing anything military so I just kind of assumed that a pretty big majority of people had service and could vote. It wouldn't be like a typical military dictatorship where the military is a small minority that violently oppresses everybody else. It's hard for that to happen when ex-service people are also everybody else. In a real military dictatorship the military tends to be a pretty exclusive class of dudes loyal to each other that tightly screen who gets in. In Starship Troopers if you were alive you could insist that they find you something to do.

Not going to advocate that kind of government by any means but it isn't quite the fascism wank everybody makes it out to be.

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Attorney client privilege does not extend to you telling your attorney you are about to commit crimes nor does it protect an attorney who willingly committed crimes in your employ. This isn't even up for debate, GOP. They just simply no longer live in reality.

They're going to grasp at literally any straw they can and hammer on it as hard as they can to drown out anything else. That's basically how the right wing hate machine operates at this point. They also forget that not all communications between a persona and a lawyer are privileged even if there's nothing criminal going on. I'm not a lawyer but I'm reasonably sure it only counts actual legal advice or legal conversations. Lawyers are also nowhere near 100% immune to being raided or investigated themselves. If memory serves the guy is also being investigated for some shady stuff that has absolutely nothing to do with Trump. It also (and perhaps most importantly right now) doesn't apply if a lawyer actively helped somebody get away with something.

Reality is whatever they need it to be right now.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, in the book it’s like, you can be a teacher or a cop or whatever public-service position, you can go count the hairs on caterpillars if it turns out we need that and that’s what you can do, but it’s a book for children so it’s not about Johnny Rico the Caterpillar Hair Counter, it’s about Johnny Rico the Badass Future Soldier with the powered armor and the nuclear bazooka.

And it’s nice and all that the book has the Star Trek kumbaya all-races-and-creeds-together thing and a POC protagonist, but it suffers when you read it as an adult and get to the part where the veterans get together to restore order by hanging all the juvenile delinquents because uhhhhh

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

seiferguy posted:

Excuse me, you forgot the worst scandal of all:

Terminal Lance (written/drawn by an ex-marine) had one of the best responses to that scandal:

quote:

Yes, the President of the United States of America had a boot Corporal hold an umbrella for him while he gave a speech.

The reactions were interesting because people let their political butthurtedness flow into their opinions on the matter. People seem to forget that we’re Marines, and this is exactly the kind of poo poo that Marines do. Somehow, holding an umbrella for the President and the Turkish Prime Minister is seen as demeaning, while all of the other bullshit that Marines do every day is not. I find it entertaining to see Marines on my Facebook page saying things like, “I would have told him to gently caress off and hold his own umbrella.”

No you wouldn’t.

Shut up.

We’re Marines, if the President of the loving United States asks you to hold a loving umbrella, you hold a loving umbrella. As well, the day I give a poo poo about a boot Corporal holding an umbrella is the day I’ve forgotten what the Marine Corps is. Honestly, holding an umbrella for the President is probably the least demeaning thing I could imagine doing as a Marine, as opposed to the other bullshit I had to do every day. No one would think twice about asking a boot to police call cigarette butts across the entire base at 5am, but the minute this boot has to hold an umbrella for the Commander in Chief, people get upset.

He’s the President, he rates an umbrella.

Get over it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The token conservative dickhead among the Parkland kids ran a “retweet my tweet 15k times to get Charlie Kirk to come to Parkland and speak” and it worked.

This can only end well. :allears:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, in the book it’s like, you can be a teacher or a cop or whatever public-service position, you can go count the hairs on caterpillars if it turns out we need that and that’s what you can do, but it’s a book for children so it’s not about Johnny Rico the Caterpillar Hair Counter, it’s about Johnny Rico the Badass Future Soldier with the powered armor and the nuclear bazooka.

And it’s nice and all that the book has the Star Trek kumbaya all-races-and-creeds-together thing and a POC protagonist, but it suffers when you read it as an adult and get to the part where the veterans get together to restore order by hanging all the juvenile delinquents because uhhhhh

There's also some low-key hinting throughout the book that Johnny Rico might be a bit too incapable to handle the regular public service jobs, which is why he's so insistent on doing the military route, and that probably most of the people doing Federal Service are undertaking normal civil service jobs even though the military's so glamorized. After all, there's a lot of civil service work that needs to be done even if Johnny-types aren't going to be suited for it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fishmech posted:

There's also some low-key hinting throughout the book that Johnny Rico might be a bit too incapable to handle the regular public service jobs, which is why he's so insistent on doing the military route, and that probably most of the people doing Federal Service are undertaking normal civil service jobs even though the military's so glamorized. After all, there's a lot of civil service work that needs to be done even if Johnny-types aren't going to be suited for it.

Oh, maybe I’m misremembering because I thought it was more than just hints. When he goes to talk to the recruiter, don’t they go over his grades and see if he has any particular skills or aptitudes before going “well then, it’s the infantry for you”?

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Pirate Radar posted:

Those were roving bandits resulting from a nuclear war. Retconed into juvenile delinquents by the established political order. The last half of the book tried to introduce some skepticism and nuance about the system, but it didn't hit home. The first half was just too compelling.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pirate Radar posted:

Oh, maybe I’m misremembering because I thought it was more than just hints. When he goes to talk to the recruiter, don’t they go over his grades and see if he has any particular skills or aptitudes before going “well then, it’s the infantry for you”?

There's that yeah, but on the other hand it's not like being a low level civil servant needs particular skills either. If he'd showed up to the civil recruitment center they'd be like "oh no particular skills or aptitudes? well we need some mailroom clerks". He's obviously not interested in going that way.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

What's Laura Ingraham up to with her advertisers abandoning her?

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/984263407921782784

lol

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Pirate Radar posted:

Johnny Rico was the socialite son of an incredibly rich old wealth family. He had a guaranteed slot at Harvard. It makes some extremely pointed arguments that merit and earning your place is worth more than heritage and nepotism. Especially considering the extremely pointed digs against communist systems.

In summary, the future history of Heinlein is a land of contrasts.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

lol

I hope Hogg finds a pic of Shaprio when he was a lanky pencil neck poo poo and trolls with it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ceiling fan posted:

Johnny Rico was the socialite son of an incredibly rich old wealth family. He had a guaranteed slot at Harvard. It makes some extremely pointed arguments that merit and earning your place is worth more than heritage and nepotism. Especially considering the extremely pointed digs against communist systems.

Johnny's dad was basically a 1%-er, but couldn't vote because he wasn't willing to put his own goals on hold for 2-4 years and do some sort of public service. And people are actually hating on this society. Ok, there is the corporal punishment, but they seem to take it seriously, if not solemnly, and not pass out lashes willy-nilly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

The token conservative dickhead among the Parkland kids ran a “retweet my tweet 15k times to get Charlie Kirk to come to Parkland and speak” and it worked.

David Hogg vs. the Diaper Guy? Ooo, sounds fun. Also, Jesus how much further does that Kyle kid have to sink into gaucheness? What's he gonna do next, bring an AR-15 to grad? ...He's gonna bring an AR-15 to his grad :manning:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
If you have a Twitter account, please tweet this at Donald Trump.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Though he still won't see it, you have to buy ad time on Fox & Friends.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, in the book it’s like, you can be a teacher or a cop or whatever public-service position, you can go count the hairs on caterpillars if it turns out we need that and that’s what you can do,

Here's the quote:

quote:

But if you came in here in a wheel chair and blind in both eyes and were silly enough to insist on enrolling, they would find something silly enough to match. Counting the fuzz on a caterpillar by touch, maybe. The only way you can fail is by having the psychiatrists decide that you are not able to understand the oath.

For all the faults in the Starship Troopers universe, they do provide an employer of last resort.
I'm no fan of corporal punishment either, but at the same time, there's no perverse incentive to corporal punishment compared to our society's prison industrial complex.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

waaahh wahhh i'm a millionaire with a radio show and national tv show. i'm being oppressed!!!!

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Ceiling fan posted:

Those were roving bandits resulting from a nuclear war. Retconed into juvenile delinquents by the established political order. The last half of the book tried to introduce some skepticism and nuance about the system, but it didn't hit home. The first half was just too compelling.

I always saw it as having a pretty strong theme of dehumanization. The Rico of the beginning is a dumb kid with the usual social BS and family drama going on. The Rico of the end is a soulless killing machine who gets the shakes, but no longer has access to why.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Man, Hannity REALLY loving hates the FBI.

I thought conservatives loved cops and respected authority?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

You've never heard one get a speeding ticket.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

BiggerBoat posted:

I'm starting to think these GOP folks don't actually believe in law and order.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
"Law and order" only counts when there's a paper bag nearby for comparison.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

In my dream world Hannity colluded with Trump for good media coverage and knew about some illegal activity and Mueller takes him down for obstruction.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

BiggerBoat posted:

If a minority is arrested or harassed, it's okay and the system works as intended. If it's a white person, then it's militant police and blatant government overreach.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Terminal Lance (written/drawn by an ex-marine) had one of the best responses to that scandal:

Terminal Lance is legit great.

Lightning Knight posted:

oooooooooooooooh noooooooooooooo that's the stupidest idea I've ever loving heard in all my lives.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

lol

https://twitter.com/existentialfish/status/984266067953451009
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/983702203532689409

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I meant to post this a few days ago and haven't seen it here. It's a blatant example of the RWM double standard. Obama wanting to "Sit down with dictators" = weakness, treason, etc.

Trump doing it = "leadership, strength, progress, etc."

http://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-video-trump-obama-north-korea-848618

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

DC Murderverse posted:

lol

Boycotting advertising is bad, except when it's good.

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/984300077186469888

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Crossposting this from the authoritarians thread:

The rhetoric coming out of the right-wing Echo Chambers is getting increasingly over the top and dangerous. The active dehumanization of all leftists/progressives is honest to God indistinguishable from what Germans were saying about Jews. I mean that in all sincerity, we are now at the point where their rhetoric is on the exact same level as Nazi Germany.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grl5Aaj_9Gw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LbBrKyTB7w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJEaVGCfPHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMjI85oHcH8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfoSZYkOHkc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieHlxm5Oug8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3e0zaB3qB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS8dozsNPGE

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 13, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
lmfao

https://twitter.com/yeetztweetz/status/984222043678879746

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Radish posted:

You've never heard one get a speeding ticket.

Yuuuuuup.

Conservatives loves to engaged in doe-eyed, reverential public servant masturbation as long as they're shooting brown people or dressed in loving Class As at the loving Knights of Columbus dinner.

But the second they see a medic washing his car on duty, or a fire truck is delayed getting their cat out of a tree or they get a loving speeding ticket "YOU all work FOR ME" blahblahblah

Hypocrisy is the loving barrier for entry to conservatism. They are absolute scum.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

LeeMajors posted:

Yuuuuuup.

Conservatives loves to engaged in doe-eyed, reverential public servant masturbation as long as they're shooting brown people or dressed in loving Class As at the loving Knights of Columbus dinner.

But the second they see a medic washing his car on duty, or a fire truck is delayed getting their cat out of a tree or they get a loving speeding ticket "YOU all work FOR ME" blahblahblah

Hypocrisy is the loving barrier for entry to conservatism. They are absolute scum.

If I had a penny for every time some shitlord complained about us parking our FIRE ENGINES in the FIRE LANE at stores, I wouldn't have to work for such lovely wages.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I once was at a city council meeting where like 100 people came to complain about a fire substation that was planned to open right outside their retirement community. They were mad that they already had a lot of noise from sirens and this would make it worse.

Long story short:
These guys were responsible for an enormous number of emergency medical calls, the sirens were from their neighbors calling 911 for strokes and heart attacks.
So many, that they wanted a substation just to service the retirement community.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I once was at a city council meeting where like 100 people came to complain about a fire substation that was planned to open right outside their retirement community. They were mad that they already had a lot of noise from sirens and this would make it worse.

Long story short:
These guys were responsible for an enormous number of emergency medical calls, the sirens were from their neighbors calling 911 for strokes and heart attacks.
So many, that they wanted a substation just to service the retirement community.

You know, I can't even laugh at this. This is just depressing. :smith:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

BiggerBoat posted:

Only if that authority is conservative and therefore good, but the FBI is filled with a bunch of leftists who hate Republicans and are trying to destroy the country.

BiggerBoat posted:

I meant to post this a few days ago and haven't seen it here. It's a blatant example of the RWM double standard. Obama wanting to "Sit down with dictators" = weakness, treason, etc.

Trump doing it = "leadership, strength, progress, etc."

http://www.newsweek.com/fox-news-video-trump-obama-north-korea-848618

Hannity already covered this last week. He brought up that video (maybe not that specific one, there could be others) of right wing media personalities saying it would be horrible for Obama to negotiate with North Korea, and praising Trump for doing the same. He scoffed at the accusations of hypocrisy, because you see, there is a very important difference between Trump and Obama.

Obama is bad. Trump is good. So it would be bad if the bad President tried to negotiate, but it's good if the good President tries to negotiate. So therefore it's not hypocrisy you dumb liberals.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Koalas March posted:

In my dream world Hannity colluded with Trump for good media coverage and knew about some illegal activity and Mueller takes him down for obstruction.

Uwe Boll needs to fight him first then Mueller can have him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Koalas March posted:

hosed up thing is it might not be a dream. i sorta suspect hannity might be enough of toady to do bad poo poo for trump.