Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just finished FFXII. Were they planning to have a final dungeon and ran out of time or money? All the elements are there for Bahamut to be it, but nope.

I have to say, the game feels a bit strange to me as an FF just by how... straightforward and not wierd the plot is.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MikeJF posted:

I just finished FFXII. Were they planning to have a final dungeon and ran out of time or money? All the elements are there for Bahamut to be it, but nope.

I have to say, the game feels a bit strange to me as an FF just by how... straightforward and not wierd the plot is.

FFXII has a TONNE of cut planned stuff. A lot of it got repurposed for Revenant wings.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Everybody who whines about the port of VI has never played it. The town graphics on the overworld are wonky, but that’s it. It’s the same drat game under the hood.

Everything else is just fine. In fact, I think the battle graphics are BETTER. You drat babies.

I have FFVI on my phone, whenever I want. I live in the future and it is great.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

In fact, I think the battle graphics are BETTER.

When was the last time you were checked for macular degeneration?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I've never felt like I needed FF6 on my phone because I'm not a goddamn nerd.

Now here's why I think Tidus/Yuna is a good video game romance... 1/244

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I appreciate the fast forward options in the phone releases of FFV and FFVI. I was able to pass a slow winter season at work by power building my parties in both games, it was pretty fun to do between work activities.

I liked the cleaned up monster sprites in FFV, I had heard they found and rescanned the original drawings for it. The FFVI monster sprites I had heard were just the original sprites with the resolution turned up in that way that just makes them look fuzzier than the SNES version. I have no idea what they were thinking with the character battle and world sprites, those all look dreadful.

There, that’s my anecdote about the phone ports.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Everybody who whines about the port of VI has never played it. The town graphics on the overworld are wonky, but that’s it. It’s the same drat game under the hood.

Everything else is just fine. In fact, I think the battle graphics are BETTER. You drat babies.

I have FFVI on my phone, whenever I want. I live in the future and it is great.

:chloe:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

When was the last time you were checked for macular degeneration?

Weren't the enemy sprites more detailed on the iOS version? I know the player sprites have that weird flash game thing going on but the enemy sprites look good

bloom posted:

I've never felt like I needed FF6 on my phone because I'm not a goddamn nerd.

Now here's why I think Tidus/Yuna is a good video game romance... 1/244

I played all of FFT at launch on iOS with the terrible touchscreen controls (How you make grid based controls worse on a touch screen god knows)

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

You penises were fine with it when FFV and that stupid dimensions game came out.

Every final fantasy is the worst. Ports included.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I am not, nor have I ever have been, fine with the FF5 port.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Tall Tale Teller posted:

You penises were fine with it when FFV and that stupid dimensions game came out.

Every final fantasy is the worst. Ports included.

nobody was fine with the ffv port lmao

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Weren't the enemy sprites more detailed on the iOS version? I know the player sprites have that weird flash game thing going on but the enemy sprites look good

Not for VI, no, they're just filtered.

iOS/Steam: https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/382900/ss_f7c1be004811cf7108abb54b3728b7b2ab6446d2.jpg?t=1511862298
SNES/PSX/whatever: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Sq3bT6TRg5U/hqdefault.jpg

FFV's phone port did have nice new enemy sprites though. But they were kind of unfitting and also the only good thing about that port.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

I played all of FFT at launch on iOS with the terrible touchscreen controls (How you make grid based controls worse on a touch screen god knows)

I actually traded playstations for weeks with a friend because they had a chipped console and I didn't, and for whatever reason the only FFT copy in the neighborhood was NTSC rather than PAL. For a brief moment in the late 90s, a chipped playstation was the most desired object in our dumb little corner of the world.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh drat that is not great. I guess this is their way of getting around the game being a SNES port right? It's probably remade from the ground up in a new engine so they don't need Nintendo's permission for anything?

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

MikeJF posted:

When 12's director stepped down, the new producer, Akitoshi Kawazu, had to cut everything that wasn't working and get the rest of the game into a shippable state. Pretty much all the major FF games since 12 have had to make significant cuts due to tumultuous development cycles.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Play ff6 gba on a 3ds with the patch to fix the music, colours and slowdown

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

bloom posted:

I actually traded playstations for weeks with a friend because they had a chipped console and I didn't, and for whatever reason the only FFT copy in the neighborhood was NTSC rather than PAL. For a brief moment in the late 90s, a chipped playstation was the most desired object in our dumb little corner of the world.

There was no PAL version of FFT is why

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Sakurazuka posted:

There was no PAL version of FFT is why

Well that makes sense. Still curious as to how an american copy ended up in Finland back in the day when every videogame was "a nintendo". Someone must have had a really cool dad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Oh drat that is not great. I guess this is their way of getting around the game being a SNES port right? It's probably remade from the ground up in a new engine so they don't need Nintendo's permission for anything?

There's no Nintendo permission needed at all. Hell, CT on PS1 is (basically), a new executable that reads all the graphics and sound data from a SNES ROM. Pop the disc in your PC and load ROM.BIN in SNES9x and hey whaddya know, it's the SFC version of CT.

Then the English version is patched into it at runtime via a horrible assembly hackjob, because TOSE suck.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

bloom posted:

Well that makes sense. Still curious as to how an american copy ended up in Finland back in the day when every videogame was "a nintendo". Someone must have had a really cool dad.

Also in Finland, I got a used SNES with a bunch of games back in the day, and one of them was a US Link to the Past in a PAL box. It wasn't the only US game of the bunch so there was an adapter included for playing them, but at least the other games were in their original US boxes. Hell if I know what was up with Zelda there.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's no Nintendo permission needed at all. Hell, CT on PS1 is (basically), a new executable that reads all the graphics and sound data from a SNES ROM. Pop the disc in your PC and load ROM.BIN in SNES9x and hey whaddya know, it's the SFC version of CT.

Then the English version is patched into it at runtime via a horrible assembly hackjob, because TOSE suck.

Then I cannot imagine why they have done this

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
SE are job creators they didn't want those poor artists to starve I can't believe you are all so ingrateful.

E. I quoted the entirely wrong conversation thread for this dumb joke

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 12, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Dragonatrix posted:

You have to wait a surprisingly long time as well. It takes Seph ages to hit you with his proportional damage sword. You straight up have to do it on purpose, really

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You're guaranteed to act before him, but if you wait for too long, he'll attack you and you'll just counter attack.

You sat around for too long not pushing buttons.

I had my battle speed cranked to the max for pre final dungeon grinding. I didn't realize this. I essentially waited for the limit bar to fill for Omnislash, got attacked, and countered. I was able to select Omnislash between getting hit and countering but the whole thing took less than 10 seconds.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cleretic posted:

They're actually going to make the FFVI port's graphics worse, because we had to give up something to improve Chrono Trigger's.

FFV mobile models to be replaced with the Theatrythm ones.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bruceski posted:

FFV mobile models to be replaced with the Theatrythm ones.

You joke but I think FF5/6 on Steam using the Theatrythm models would have been received better.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Then I cannot imagine why they have done this

I want to say it was because while the Japanese version of chrono trigger fit in memory of the PSX. The English version could not and it was less engineering work to patch it on the fly rather then having to rewrite the game itself to support discs properly.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ohtsam posted:

I want to say it was because while the Japanese version of chrono trigger fit in memory of the PSX. The English version could not and it was less engineering work to patch it on the fly rather then having to rewrite the game itself to support discs properly.
That doesn't make a lot of sense since it hit that disc like a hobo taking pulls off a mad dog. Constantly and for longer than you'd think would be possible considering the size of the container.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

zedprime posted:

That doesn't make a lot of sense since it hit that disc like a hobo taking pulls off a mad dog. Constantly and for longer than you'd think would be possible considering the size of the container.

That analogy is a lot stranger before realizing Mad Dog is a brand.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

The sprite looks dumb and bad in both pictures OP.

Though I do enjoy that they decided to change the Hunchback of Notre Dame into a beer belly redneck.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is theatrhytm on any platform outside of ds? I never had a chance to play it.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Arcade :v:

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Nasgate posted:

The sprite looks dumb and bad in both pictures OP.

Though I do enjoy that they decided to change the Hunchback of Notre Dame into a beer belly redneck.

What the gently caress is this bullshit idiot garbage opinion?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

zedprime posted:

I mean rewriting the actual game logic. The emulator itself hit the disc a shitton grabbing the English assets to patch in.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Is theatrhytm on any platform outside of ds? I never had a chance to play it.

Mobile. Bring your wallet.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Mezzanon posted:

What the gently caress is this bullshit idiot garbage opinion?

I play a lot of FFV. So my standards are higher than yours, would be my guess.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
5 contains the greatest spritecrime of them all: Cara being in 3/4th profile for no reason

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Heads up, FF15 just got discounted 33% off on Steam. If you were waiting for a price drop here's your chance.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
who the hell is cara? please tell me that's not krile

e: oh lord, it is

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FF sprites are like reverse flatworms. Both eyes start on the same side of the head, and then one migrates over as they age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Bruceski posted:

FF sprites are like reverse flatworms. Both eyes start on the same side of the head, and then one migrates over as they age.

Final Fantasy characters work the same way.