Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I wouldn't mind them dropping a lot of the Earth stuff as long as Janna sticks around somehow. Season 3 had to handwave her into episodes a few times to get her to appear so I'd like if maybe there was a more stable way for the Earth characters to visit or if she pulls a Marco and just goes adventuring.

Also I think Ludo's 'problem' is that he swings wildly between childish and unfunnily pathetic and genuinely unsettling and competent a lot. I don't really know if I like him too much as a character but I do want more of him.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Nephthys posted:

I wouldn't mind them dropping a lot of the Earth stuff as long as Janna sticks around somehow. Season 3 had to handwave her into episodes a few times to get her to appear so I'd like if maybe there was a more stable way for the Earth characters to visit or if she pulls a Marco and just goes adventuring.

Also I think Ludo's 'problem' is that he swings wildly between childish and unfunnily pathetic and genuinely unsettling and competent a lot. I don't really know if I like him too much as a character but I do want more of him.

To be fair to Ludo, Toffee was intentionally driving him mad during season 2 so he wasn't in his right mind. Now he's truly free we'll see what he gets up to.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nephthys posted:

As long as we get more of Ludo as Heath Ledger's Joker, I can put up with a lot.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Andrew_1985 posted:

Also, was Tom in a Fire Nation outfit?

Official word is that the resemblance was not in fact intentional.

In other news, this is really neat:

https://twitter.com/BrianWithAnH/status/982729844021608448

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

In contrast with both seasons 1 and 3, season 2 of Star doesn't have that many episodes that were heavily retouched by the directors (with the two that were the most overhauled being Star vs Echo Creek, which apparently didn't even have the dragon in the original version, and Nayasaya)

The story crew for season 2 is Nefcy, Aaron Hammersley and Dominic Bisignano (who after their great performance on season 1 were promoted to Supervising Producer and Creative Director respectively) , story editor John Infantino (former storyboard artist on Camp Lazlo and early Flapjack, director on later Flapjack and Regular Show), and staff writer Amy Higgins (who along with Ducktales head writer Fancisco Angones formed the Frank & Amy duo that on Wander over Yonder wrote some late season 1 epsiodes and served as story editors on season 2). Many episodes this season also involve freelance story writers.

Aaron & Dominic also directly served as directors on My New Wand!, Evon/Aleth's eps, Jushtin Lee's episodes, Mark/Riccardo's episodes, Starstruck, Gift of the Card, The Hard Way, and Starcrushed. Returning from season 1 is director Piero Piluso, who directs most of John Mathot's episodes and Brett/Zach episodes; as well as joint directing Camping Trip with Infantino. Late in the season he's succeed by Brett Varon (himself a former storyboard artist on shows like Billy & Mandy, My Gym Partner's a Monkey, Flapjack, Chowder, Secret Mountain Fort Awesome, Clarence, and Uncle Grandpa), with them both credited as directors on the Bounce Lounge and Brett directing Heinous and Just Friends. Lastly we have new director Giancarlo Volpe (assistant director and character layout/storyboard artist on King of the Hill, director on Avatar: The Last Airbender and the CGI Clone Wars series, and showrunner on Green Lantern), who directs most of Le Tang's episodes and Sabrina/Amelia eps.

An interesting thing to note is that the half hour specials weren't merely "one team does the first half, the other does the 2nd half". Bon Bon had Amelia board the first third, Sabrina do the middle, and Le do the final third. Face the Music had Amelia (first half)/Cassie (2nd half) handle the Star/Ruberiot planning subplot and Cassie on the ending, while Sarah did Moon's subplot and Sabrina did the song sequence. Finally, Starcrushed had Gina/John focus on Star's plot, Tyler do the scene where Marco talks with his dad, and Evon/Le do Moon's subplot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Official word is that the resemblance was not in fact intentional.

Funny, but plausible, given they were going for a Seven Samurai thing. Marco even having a katana.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The scenes in the Magic Dimension really harken back to the parts of Season 1 and 2 that were about learning to stay on-task and be more focused, and together with the "I have a responsibility to stay scene" it really emphasized how far Star has come along. The series is really good at character development.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

sadly that's just an edit

https://twitter.com/Hug_bees/status/964296913704042496

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

"Well Star I made it, despite your directions."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

So, figures that season 4 starts with Eclipsa as Queen Bitch of the Universe. She may still allow Star to keep the throne, not like she needs it.

Oh boy, if Ludo goes right back to trying to take the wand...

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Oh boy, if Ludo goes right back to trying to take the wand...

Season 4: Ludo and Star team up to steal a wand. It's bound to happen at least once.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Yeah, Ludo is way more interesting now and I hope they don't walk back his character development.

Also, I want more Dennis.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Sounds like Season 4's gonna be the last.

https://twitter.com/arythusa/status/992491069697810434?s=19

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Hmmmm, maybe that's okay. 4 seasons and they had a good run.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

DoubleCakes posted:

Agreed. Better to end it while it's at it peak then draw it past its prime. Besides, Owl House sounds pretty interesting and I'd like to see where they go with it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DoubleCakes posted:

Always better when the show ends through the team's choice as this appears to be.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With Eclipsa loose and the wand no longer in the Butterfly's hands, it definitely feels like it's winding down to an ending.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

There's something more satisfying to me about five seasons, but I'll take four.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
That tweet got deleted, so... maybe it's not dead yet?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Considering we've heard no renewal news yet (and from memory, we usually knew at this point) and considering that yeah, a pretty major staffer is moving to a different show, I'd put money on it getting deleted because the news wasn't supposed to arrive just yet.

I'm pretty happy with that, honestly. I really don't feel like this show could go on for two more seasons at this point, everything they've set up can be pretty easily resolved during season four. And frankly, season three kind of started dragging at parts. The scheduling didn't help but it sort of feels like they weren't anticipating getting four seasons to begin with, with how quickly the whole Toffee situation gets resolved and all.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They've got a pretty good escalating antagonists deal with Ludo, Toffee, Meteora and Eclipsa. (or maybe Ludo again?) Feels like season four would be a good endgame at this point.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
For what it's worth:

https://twitter.com/colorpulp/status/994403070711742464

I do feel that based on how Season 3 ended, Season 4 is likely going to build towards some form of conclusion for the series, but it might not be over yet.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Four seasons is a good run and they've got a logical endgame to build here, so yeah, hopefully we get a good conclusion out of this.

My only disappointment is that we get Keith David for just one season :( Can he go back and dub over Tambor's lines?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Benne posted:

Four seasons is a good run and they've got a logical endgame to build here, so yeah, hopefully we get a good conclusion out of this.

My only disappointment is that we get Keith David for just one season :( Can he go back and dub over Tambor's lines?

Maybe? That's what Disney did with Louis CK's character in Gravity Falls, but that was only a minor character in one episode, so who knows if they'll expend that much effort for a character that appeared for three seasons.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Does anyone know where that image of Eclipsa putting Meteora to sleep is?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They've got a pretty good escalating antagonists deal with Ludo, Toffee, Meteora and Eclipsa. (or maybe Ludo again?) Feels like season four would be a good endgame at this point.

There's something else I've been noticing about each major battle: Star and Marco's agency increases every time. With the first fight against Toffee, the protagonists actively lose, and they lose again in "Bon Bon." Star annihilates Toffee at the end of the Battle for Mewni, but she only succeeded because Toffee isn't a fighter and Glossaryck was carefully manipulating her and Ludo from behind the scenes. Against Meteora Star and Marco managed to do some decent damage, and they might have succeeded if they had forgotten about Moon for the moment and worked together with their friends to fight her.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Funny thing is, Ludo could be said the same for a character who has more agency with every major milestone. (kinda)

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
When did American cartoons start having overarching plots and cross-episode coherency?
I finished watching Gravity Falls recently, and then stumbled onto Star vs The Forces of Evil. It's pretty good. Unashamedly marathoned the whole drat thing.

What's up with Star and Tom having god-like powers when they are serious, and Marco basically getting a minor upgrade with dimensional scissors and fighting skills after some 16 years of training with Hekapoo.
I get that he's human, but c'mon, don't make him Krillin.

Why was it so dangerous for him to use Star's wand? It seems like anyone can technically access magic with a wand and basic instruction - Ludo did fine.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

When did American cartoons start having overarching plots and cross-episode coherency?

I'd say Reboot, but that was Canadian.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

In the recent renaissance? I think Adventure Time was what kicked off the latest overarching plot craze. Yes, it's been in cartoons before, but Adventure Time was the first in the recent crop of western cartoons with overarching plots.

Thing is, I don't think Adventure Time's overarching plot is handled effectively but that doesn't change the fact that it is known for it's overarching story.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Vakal posted:

I'd say Reboot, but that was Canadian.

Funny you mentioned that.
There is developers commentary video on the DVD set, the creators pushed very hard for that consistency in the later seasons, so much that it was a big part of what destroyed their various business agreements. TV execs really don't like it. They were way ahead of their time.

Disney might have more freedom with it, since it's their channel.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

Why was it so dangerous for him to use Star's wand? It seems like anyone can technically access magic with a wand and basic instruction - Ludo did fine.

It's been outright revealed that there is nothing special about Star's lineage. I think we're going to learn soon enough that a lot of 'facts' about magic were just made up to keep the peasants from getting any ideas.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Paladin posted:

It's been outright revealed that there is nothing special about Star's lineage. I think we're going to learn soon enough that a lot of 'facts' about magic were just made up to keep the peasants from getting any ideas.

Very likely. That said, Star is a walking case study in just how dangerous the wand can be in the hands of an inexperienced wielder, especially when trying to do very specific and difficult magic with no training. Ludo is almost safer, since his total lack of imagination means he only uses magic for very specific things, but he generally gets a lot of mileage out of that thing.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Very likely. That said, Star is a walking case study in just how dangerous the wand can be in the hands of an inexperienced wielder, especially when trying to do very specific and difficult magic with no training. Ludo is almost safer, since his total lack of imagination means he only uses magic for very specific things, but he generally gets a lot of mileage out of that thing.

Exactly. It's not dangerous because *Marco* is using a wand, it's dangerous because Marco is using a *wand*. Speaking of which, does anyone else suspect that we'll finally see another wand in season 4? They may be rare, but we have every reason to believe magic wands aren't unique.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Don't forget about this:

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Exactly. It's not dangerous because *Marco* is using a wand, it's dangerous because Marco is using a *wand*. Speaking of which, does anyone else suspect that we'll finally see another wand in season 4? They may be rare, but we have every reason to believe magic wands aren't unique.

I think it'd be neat if the plot of season 4 is Star trying to find out where the wand came from originally and finding/making a new one to try and prove that she's worthy of being queen.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Here's a neat thing:

https://twitter.com/DaronNefcy/status/996502652899835906?s=19

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/DaronNefcy/status/999084187054260224

:toot:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
News from on the ground at SDCC!

-Preview clip: Star, Marco, and River fighting their way through a stone prison tower to try and find Moon. Big reveals are Star casting her spells through her hands, and that Eclipsa is ruling Mewni.

-Excerpts from the Magic Book of Spells, which included big parts of Eclipsa's chapter it's a monster dating guide

-Adam MacArthur fuckin' broke some bricks with his bare hands :stare:

-Show's not coming back until 2019 :rip:

There was some other neat stuff (including a hilarious crossover table read with the Big City Greens cast), but that's the biggest stuff that I recall.

e: Preview clip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7iR-BfpN-Y

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Is the book still coming out in September?