Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That is still one of the most satisfying villain deaths I've ever seen :allears:. He had it coming and he ran right into the Big Scissors.

Carta Issue, McGillis, Mr. Radice... It's a good show for satisfying deaths.

And heartbreaking ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, the Kimaris Vidar isn’t the Vidar with bits stripped off it. It’s Gaelio returning to his old fighting-style (with extras) after going on a sort of vision-quest to understand his old friend by trying to become him. McGillis goes for light, agile skirmishers, Gaelio goes for big, fast chargers. It makes sense that the KV would bulk up.

If you’re wondering why it’s taller than the Vidar despite sharing the same frame, that’s easy - it’s got bigger feet. Observe.

The subs were confusing since they said they were taking stuff off rather than putting all these extras on.

It's my biggest and most-significant complaint about the show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sassassin posted:

The subs were confusing since they said they were taking stuff off rather than putting all these extras on.

It's my biggest and most-significant complaint about the show.

I mean, technically, they were, because you’d need to strip the Vidar’s armour off before putting the KV’s on. There’s not much overlap between them.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, technically, they were, because you’d need to strip the Vidar’s armour off before putting the KV’s on. There’s not much overlap between them.

The subs should have been said "get this crap off so we can put the other junk on" and not "strip off the disguise and decoy tanks, chop chop" then.

That mechanic makes top 5 of my most hated characters list.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sassassin posted:

Carta Issue, McGillis, Mr. Radice... It's a good show for satisfying deaths.

And heartbreaking ones.

Carta's death was great since they spend the previous episodes pumping you up for it, and then when it happens... it's horrible. Just a naive, not particularly horrible young woman being slowly and brutally murdered after being betrayed, then bleeding out in the arms of the man who loved her.

Iok, by contrast, is the one time the show lets you just sit back and enjoy some revenge.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Darth Walrus posted:

Really, the disguise was just the extra ahab reactor to mask the distinct signature of the two in the frame, evidently it's hard to take apart the core frame of a Gundam (so Barbatos was intact when being used as a generator) but superficial refits are easy.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Cheers to the viewer out there who didn't realize it was Gaelio under the mask. You must have enjoyed the surprise!

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I feel like an Origin remake of the movie trilogy is more likely.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

chiasaur11 posted:

Carta's death was great since they spend the previous episodes pumping you up for it, and then when it happens... it's horrible. Just a naive, not particularly horrible young woman being slowly and brutally murdered after being betrayed, then bleeding out in the arms of the man who loved her.

Iok, by contrast, is the one time the show lets you just sit back and enjoy some revenge.

I enjoyed the former more than the latter given overall context.

Marx Headroom posted:

Cheers to the viewer out there who didn't realize it was Gaelio under the mask. You must have enjoyed the surprise!

Surely that person couldn't exist.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Marx Headroom posted:

I really had a spark of hope in my heart that it was going to be Ein in a full robot body, but mostly because Gaelio was so predictable I wanted to dismiss it outright.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Muffinlord posted:

I really had a spark of hope in my heart that it was going to be Ein in a full robot body, but mostly because Gaelio was so predictable I wanted to dismiss it outright.

My super cracked out theory up until the obvious was officially confirmed was that Vidar was going to turn out to be Almiria in heavy disguise with an Alaya-Vijnana out to get revenge on McGillis for the end of season 1. It's way out there, but she's young enough for the implant and would have reason enough both to want McGillis to eat dirt and to pretend to transparently be her brother in a mask to get him revenge by proxy.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The problem with doing all of origin is how many years it would take to finish. It's been how many years since they started? 4? And why haven't even covered an entire volume of content.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Tae posted:

Nah don't worry, Four got killed by someone else in the movies

(I literally didn't realize she was killed for real because no one mentioned anything about her after that)

The movies are such bad trash its unbelievable.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Raxivace posted:

Which orphan did you think had the most iron in their blood?

Definitely Hush, after he got bisected with a huge knife from a Graze and puked blood all over the blade before dying.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

chiasaur11 posted:

Don't forget Galan Mossa another guilt free murder from the scissor of death.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

EthanSteele posted:

The movies are such bad trash its unbelievable.

the zeta movies really needed one extra movie in there. They skipped out a ton of good stuff since they were pressed for time. I think most 50 episodes series would do better to have 4 compilation movies rather than the usual 3.

For as much as the series sucks, I actually think that destiny made the right choice with the four compilation movies. It's gets the important stuff without leaving out anything major.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah the Zeta movies make a lot of weird choices, even without considering the clashing animation styles, like omitting Quattro's Dakar speech. Or the way they just kind of elide over the "sounds like a girl's name" scene.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sazabi posted:

Don't forget Galan Mossa another guilt free murder from the scissor of death.

He spoiled it by self-destructing to destroy all the evidence and people still think he's a cool tactical genius and manly man all the blondes love, despite his whole outfit getting obliterated really easily once the deception was uncovered.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Raxivace posted:

Yeah the Zeta movies make a lot of weird choices, even without considering the clashing animation styles, like omitting Quattro's Dakar speech. Or the way they just kind of elide over the "sounds like a girl's name" scene.

They totally butcher at least 3 of the most important parts of the show, it's bizarre.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Rustal did nothing wrong.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mordja posted:

Rustal did nothing wrong.

He didn't have to kill all of Tekkadan to make his statement, it would have been just as easy to let them escape during the generous time period he allowed before the wmd strike on the base.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

sassassin posted:

it would have been just as easy to let them escape during the generous time period he allowed before the wmd strike
Because he did.

A few staying behind to die gloriously helped both sides in that respect. You think he wouldn't know Orga got gunned down right outside Kudelia's office?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they really just needed mikazuki dead and they got it

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

If you want to be more technical, they need a new dragon-slayer, and that means killing Barbados in "fair" combat.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

they really just needed mikazuki dead and they got it

Basically dude would not have stopped because all he had left was Orga's fight to the end mission ingrained in him.

Those Zeta movies are all the proof we need that it's a story arc that doesn't need to be redone. The show is already basically the greatest UC series.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

It's extra good because Akihiro is resigned to death until he stupidly says his name and grandstands. The instant he said that poo poo he sealed his own fate. I liked that monologues in IBO meant someone getting hosed up. Carta's dude on the airbase blasted by Akihiro, Carta's two men at the train hosed up by Mika, and Iok's death were all caused by them expecting to be able to monologue to no one who cared.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Shino's death is the worst because he's distraught thinking he's let everyone down.

I hope someone in heaven can tell him they were fighting for the wrong side and things mostly work out okay.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Those Zeta movies are all the proof we need that it's a story arc that doesn't need to be redone. The show is already basically the greatest UC series.

A New Translation being hackneyed crap doesn't mean that it's not possible or desirable to do good Zeta movies.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
Obviously since we have MSG and Zeta compilation films, the 40th anniversary UC project will be ZZ compilation films.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Souls tied down by UC.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

brainwrinkle posted:

Obviously since we have MSG and Zeta compilation films, the 40th anniversary UC project will be ZZ compilation films.

ZZ would need 1 film and it would be Judau getting the ZZ then skipping to the plot of episode ~24 or so and just doing the last 1/3rd of it.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

They aint gonna skip moon moon if they have some weird moonmoon character for that one uh, was it gonna be an ova? manga?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Szmitten posted:

I feel like an Origin remake of the movie trilogy is more likely.

Remake of the original show, and then compilation movies of the remake.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mobile Suit Gundam IGLOO The Origin.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

IBO has great concepts, world building, and mech design but is held back by its three conflicting authorial voices. One is trying to write about their super cool space mobster OC and his harem of totally consensual sex slaves, one is screaming "IMPERIAL JAPAN DID NOTHING WRONG" at the top of their lungs, and one is trying to do the standard Gundam child-soldier-war-is-bad rigmarole but was tragically born with ham-hocks instead of hands.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Microcline posted:

IBO has great concepts, world building, and mech design but is held back by its three conflicting authorial voices. One is trying to write about their super cool space mobster OC and his harem of totally consensual sex slaves, one is screaming "IMPERIAL JAPAN DID NOTHING WRONG" at the top of their lungs, and one is trying to do the standard Gundam child-soldier-war-is-bad rigmarole but was tragically born with ham-hocks instead of hands.

That is so painfully accurate.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Microcline posted:

put this in the OP

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I would take any and all of those voices over G-Reco violently making GBS threads into a microphone.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Microcline posted:

I loved IBO, and I still fully agree with everything here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I would take any and all of those voices over G-Reco violently making GBS threads into a microphone.

yea g-reco's the first show I completely gave up on watching and I've got no intentions of going back