Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When Harold Lloyd hung from that clock I poo poo my pants, fainted, and got a concussion. Still don't know if he survived. Hollywoodland owes me a new pair of pants and a new brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

feedmyleg posted:

That train ILLEGALLY came toward the camera

Workers Leaving the Lumière Factory even though their shift hasn't ended yet.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

People love criminals. I don't know how else to look at it. Movies about heists and capers get lots of eyes on them, and guys like Tarantino have basically built their careers on "criminals are so cool!"

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

AceOfFlames posted:

I just don’t understand why a movie franchise revolving around a bunch of criminals is so popular.

Crime is cool and good

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Samuel Clemens posted:

Workers Leaving the Lumière Factory even though their shift hasn't ended yet.

I assume they were referring to "The Story of the Kelly Gang" being regarded as the first feature length film.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
When the system is rigged, cheating's the only solution.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

Crime is cool and good

:yeah:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

When Harold Lloyd hung from that clock I poo poo my pants, fainted, and got a concussion. Still don't know if he survived. Hollywoodland owes me a new pair of pants and a new brain.

That man was trespassing!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Who watches The Godfather and doesn't wish they could be Michael Corleone?

Hannibal Lecter is a petty, arrogant, self-absorbed snob who murders people he considers beneath him but he's a character people love because Anthony Hopkins and Mads Mikkelsen are charismatic.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Who watches The Godfather and doesn't wish they could be Michael Corleone?

I didnt. His life seems pretty stressful and has an extended sequence in Italy that while it conveys its point feels like it drags far too long which would bother me a lot if i ever wanted to reminisce.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

People love criminals. I don't know how else to look at it. Movies about heists and capers get lots of eyes on them, and guys like Tarantino have basically built their careers on "criminals are so cool!"

We're not even getting into the fascination with the serial killer.

Really, it's about freedom from these rules we've built for society. Even the times the main character is the police, half of the time they're a "loose cannon who gets results" like Dirty Harry, Riggs & Murtaugh, or Marion Cobretti; the other half they're some level of corruption they've been led to by circumstances like family. It's rare you have a beat cop that follows the law and regulations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

I didnt. His life seems pretty stressful and has an extended sequence in Italy that while it conveys its point feels like it drags far too long which would bother me a lot if i ever wanted to reminisce.

I love the Italy sections because it feels like a Leone film.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Young Freud posted:

We're not even getting into the fascination with the serial killer.

People are fascinated with Hannibal Lecter, but not so much Buffalo Bill or Francis Dolarhyde. Obviously, Lecter tends to be the most charismatic character, but he's also a kind of "idealised" serial killer (which is an odd thing to write) whereas the other two seem more realistic to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

People are fascinated with Hannibal Lecter, but not so much Buffalo Bill or Francis Dolarhyde. Obviously, Lecter tends to be the most charismatic character, but he's also a kind of "idealised" serial killer (which is an odd thing to write) whereas the other two seem more realistic to me.

The key(and very unrealistic) thing with Lecter is that he kills for a purpose. When he was free he killed and ate rude people. Well, we hate rudeness don't we? Deep down there's a part of us that roots for him to kill all of the rude assholes in the world. He of course is willing to kill those two guards to escape but obviously for him that would be considered a necessity.

But that's why Clarice is unafraid of him, she knows that she was never rude to him and treated him with respect.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Characters like Hannibal Lecter and Tony Montana pass the romanticism test because, although they are objectively repugnant, horrible people, they still have a code of ethics. It’s heavily skewed of course, but there is still a moral compass in their lawlessness (Lecter’s offense at Miggs’ assault on Clarice, Tony’s “no women no kids” mantra).

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The FF movies are good but in a better world Torque would be the movie inexplicably getting it's eighth big-budget sequel. Also Blumhouse's steez would be based on Detention instead of Insidious.

AceOfFlames posted:

I just don’t understand why a movie franchise revolving around a bunch of criminals is so popular.

One of the highest-grossing films of last year was about an anti-government terrorist group suicide bombing the military so they could broadcast a recruitment video to the populace and the Best Picture was about a participant in a Russian espionage op killing a bunch of soldiers and gmen to steal state secrets.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

I dunno, I saw the American remake of District 13 with him in the lead a while ago on Netflix and it was close to unwatchable.

Watch Running Scared and come back.

He can play a great scumbag, and he's a good physical actor.

e: more people should be talking about Running Scared.

e2:

In any time, in any era https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Odessa_Tales

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 12, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I think Tarantino undercuts it a lot (e.g. Vincent being a incompetent idiot and Jules giving up his life of crime in Pulp Fiction) which is something a lot of his imitators miss in favour of badass hitmen who quip at each other.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Reservoir Dogs is basically a movie about a team of incompetent, petulant assholes who completely implode when their Big Bold Plan goes an inch sideways.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Tom Hardy as Al Capone in Josh Trank's new film (yes, that Josh Trank!)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
He's back baby.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tom Hardy as Vito Corleone.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think De Niro is my favourite Capone.

What are the other good portrayals to check out?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Tars Tarkas posted:

Ted Levine biopic lookin lit

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Tars Tarkas posted:

A little soon for a Mickey Rourke biopic

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think De Niro is my favourite Capone.

What are the other good portrayals to check out?
Other than Nicholas Turturro in an episode of Young Indiana Jones, DeNiro is the only portrayal I know of.

Edit: An episode that also stars a really young Jeffrey Wright.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 12, 2018

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Boardwalk Empire has my favorite Al Capone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vegetable posted:

Boardwalk Empire has my favorite Al Capone.

Stephen Graham was excellent but given barely anything to do.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Tarantino undercuts it a lot (e.g. Vincent being a incompetent idiot and Jules giving up his life of crime in Pulp Fiction) which is something a lot of his imitators miss in favour of badass hitmen who quip at each other.

Imitators nothing, even people who consider themselves serious film buffs love to :goonsay: about how Tarantino is some dumb clod who loves violence for violence's sake and is a hack with zero depth or message. Even better if they also hated Inglourious Basterds and Hateful 8 because it was "boring".

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Stephen Graham was a great Capone in Boardwalk Empire. But that show was full of amazing supporting actors that they went out of their way to sideline.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

Other than Nicholas Turturro in an episode of Young Indiana Jones, DeNiro is the only portrayal I know of.

Edit: An episode that also stars a really young Jeffrey Wright.

Oh, yeah, Jeffrey Wright was Sidney Bechet in that. Taught Indiana Jones how to play jazz.

He also teamed up with his old friend from the war, Ernest Hemingway, and his college roommate, Eliot Ness, in that one.

I wish there had been more "Indiana Jones: The College Years" episodes than there were "Indiana Jones: The War Years" episodes.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Tars Tarkas posted:

Oh cool a new Dick Tracy movie.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

LesterGroans posted:

Stephen Graham was a great Capone in Boardwalk Empire. But that show was full of amazing supporting actors that they went out of their way to sideline.

Still peeved that they skipped to '33 for the final season and thus robbed us of a big sendoff for Michael Stuhlbarg's Rothstein.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

JethroMcB posted:

Still peeved that they skipped to '33 for the final season and thus robbed us of a big sendoff for Michael Stuhlbarg's Rothstein.

Such a baffling decision. I'm pretty sure the last season alone made me hate the whole show retroactively.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

The Expendables but nowhere near as stupid, oh and actually fun.

i dont care much about the first two but expendables 3 is an absolute masterpiece

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Quick reminder that in The Expendables 2, JCVD plays the villain, and his name is Vilain.

:discourse:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I wanna be Tony Montana because he dies in the end.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I wanna be Tony Montana because he dies in the end.

Good news friend, we all will.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Every day I'm a little happier I never watched more than 20 minutes of Boardwalk Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

LesterGroans posted:

Such a baffling decision. I'm pretty sure the last season alone made me hate the whole show retroactively.

It's especially baffling because Rothstein's death was a bit of a mystery, the guy they assume ordered it was acquitted and Rothstein himself refused to identify anyone on his deathbed. They could've gone hog wild with it, and built an entire season long arch around it.