Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
At least we can all agree that there aren't any mountains West of the Rockies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

eyebeem posted:

At least we can all agree that there aren't any mountains West of the Rockies.

I am from the Rockies and this is a true statement.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think you will find that the Sierra Nevada has mountains and they are taller than the Rockies.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Hilariously I meant to type "East" not "West".

gently caress it

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I was hiking in the smoky mountains in Tennessee and talking to some random people about hikes in Colorado and California and they explained to me how Colorado hiking is ok and fine but they would never go to the Sierra Nevadas because those were "bitchy liberal" mountains where "you can't even carry a gun" and apparently mountain range rivalries are a thing I hate this stupid loving country.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The vistas in the Rockies are amazing. The vistas in the Smoky Mountains are amazing. The vistas in the Adirondacks are amazing.

All mountains matter.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Want to shoot that fuckin mountain though

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheMadMilkman posted:

The vistas in the Rockies are amazing. The vistas in the Smoky Mountains are amazing. The vistas in the Adirondacks are amazing.

All mountains matter.

Except Stone Mountain.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

eyebeem posted:

Except Stone Mountain.

It's a perfectly fine mountain, it just needs a little work done to the facade. As does Rushmore.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Jaya is cool, but yeah you could replace her card name with Chandra and no one would blink. Maybe that’s the point though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Want to shoot that fuckin mountain though

It's either them or us and I know mountains play the long game.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Cities have a cathedral you fucks

Get outta here with your fourth rate market towns

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Just lol if your city village only has one cathedral

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

All mountains matter.

The drive east from Nashville on I-40 is pretty nice. First the eastern Highland Rim, then the Cumberland Plateau, then the Smoky Mountains. There is a spot where you crest this hill, and all of a sudden you can see the Smokies spreading out in front of you and it’s like “drat, son!”

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Motronic posted:

Your quote applies to both cities equally as well.

Philly is good, actually

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

LongSack posted:

The drive east from Nashville on I-40 is pretty nice. First the eastern Highland Rim, then the Cumberland Plateau, then the Smoky Mountains. There is a spot where you crest this hill, and all of a sudden you can see the Smokies spreading out in front of you and it’s like “drat, son!”

You know what I really appreciate about the Smokies, now that I live in Utah?

Tree cover.

There's something to be said for hiking in the shade.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

whydirt posted:

Jaya is cool, but yeah you could replace her card name with Chandra and no one would blink. Maybe that’s the point though.

Look wotc is a collapsing company but I think this is beyond the scope of retail in general

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sundae posted:

I had a JFK airport cab driver pull out one of those imprint sliders in the last five years or so. Blew my mind; hadn't seen one since the mid-90s in Kansas as well.

Pretty much every retail store has one of these shoved in a draw somewhere should the credit card machine go down. I thought it was the coolest thing as child and would beg my mom to let me do the imprint.

Urban farming! Happens in a lot of cities, even New York, and it's more a network of gardens than a big field full of soybeans. People will buy/rent empty lots, weird patches of green space that can't be built on, peoples yards, or setup container or hydroponic gardens on paved spots.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

mandatory lesbian posted:

Look wotc is a collapsing company but I think this is beyond the scope of retail in general

I haven't heard about wizards of the coast collapsing, so please explain.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Oops!

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

fishmech posted:

Really you're not even worth considering if there's no non-antenna structure at least 550 feet high in it.

Athens, Amsterdam, Barcelona, Brussels, Berlin, Lyon, Zurich: Not cities. There are tons of million+ inhabitant towns in Europe now though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I haven't heard about wizards of the coast collapsing, so please explain.

it's not really collapsing, I was just making fun. It is pretty mismanaged in a few ways but Magic is probably the world's largest paper tcg, I doubt it's in serious peril.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

the world's largest paper tcg

So like 1% the size of hearthstone?

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

it's not really collapsing, I was just making fun. It is pretty mismanaged in a few ways but Magic is probably the world's largest paper tcg, I doubt it's in serious peril.

I've seen at least a dozen rooms full to the brim with mtg commons from box buys. 10k each spent on cardboard. They are doing fine.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The player base for hearthstone is about 70 million. It's harder to find numbers for magic given the whole not being able to just count number of users but the numbers I found estimated 12 million. So more like whatever percentage that is, higher then 1% at least

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
MTG is loving huge with transient/homeless populations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wizards did have retail stores at one point. I went to one once when visiting family in Phoenix in 2000.

Welp that's my story.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Star Man posted:

Wizards did have retail stores at one point. I went to one once when visiting family in Phoenix in 2000.

Welp that's my story.

also used to be one in the Mall of America. I remember the first time I went to MoA, there was a Wizards store, a Lego Store, a Funcoland, an arcade and a movie theater and an entire theme park. I was in heaven.

MoA is kinda lame now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

DC Murderverse posted:

MoA is kinda lame now.
I was dragged there once and was thoroughly unimpressed with how it was the same damned stores you can find in any other mall, but with more sit down restaurants in random places. And a lovely-looking indoor theme park.

I suppose "it's a mall, but really big" being tourist-attraction worthy is just a concept that hasn't aged well.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

DC Murderverse posted:

also used to be one in the Mall of America. I remember the first time I went to MoA, there was a Wizards store, a Lego Store, a Funcoland, an arcade and a movie theater and an entire theme park. I was in heaven.

MoA is kinda lame now.

Can't wait for the dead mall videos of that place.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Haifisch posted:

I was dragged there once and was thoroughly unimpressed with how it was the same damned stores you can find in any other mall, but with more sit down restaurants in random places. And a lovely-looking indoor theme park.

I suppose "it's a mall, but really big" being tourist-attraction worthy is just a concept that hasn't aged well.

It was also built before there was the grotesque over abundance of malls and before internet shopping was really a thing. It opened in 1992 when we were still coming off of the extreme materialism of the 80's and the nihilism and grunge of the 90's hadn't gone in full swing yet. Gas prices had yet to go insane so a road trip to the biggest mall wasn't out of the question.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
The fact that the MoA is located in a city where its pretty much impossible to be outside for 4-5 months a year has probably helped it a lot too. People in Minneapolis definitely get cabin fever as the winter goes on, the MoA is at least big enough to seem almost-kinda-outside in comparison to being inside an office or house.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I went to a job interview in Minneapolis and got there early like the night before, so thought I'd check in on my 90's kid nostalgia and see MoA. It has NOT aged well.

Also the people I interviewed with ridiculed me on the basis of this decision, and I didn't get the job.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Star Man posted:

Welp that's my story.

I had my 18th birthday party at the wotc gaming center in seattle.

That place pretty much had everything my nerd heart wanted. Arcade, card/pnp gaming tables, LAN, and battletech pods.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Haifisch posted:

I had the same experience, I think part of it was that I lived in New Jersey for a chunk of the 90s though, so to me it was just like, any of the number of all within a short drive of where I lived at the time, but next to each other.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
Police raid illegal rave inside abandoned Toys R Us

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
I feel like the broken shell of childhood memories being filled up with drugs and Skrillex is a metaphor for something.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't wanna sober up, I'm a Raves-R-us kid.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't wanna sober up, I'm a Raves-R-us kid.

They literally painted that on the sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I went to a job interview in Minneapolis and got there early like the night before, so thought I'd check in on my 90's kid nostalgia and see MoA. It has NOT aged well.

Also the people I interviewed with ridiculed me on the basis of this decision, and I didn't get the job.

They sound like assholes. "Only people hip enough to check out the craft beer scene are cool enough to work here!"