Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ross the boss
Oct 26, 2017

new york should be rosemary's baby OBVIOUSLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"D&D developed like a religion" is the (never explicitly stated) thesis that I took away from his essay about Dungeons & Dragons. You can't point to any particular book, or group, or scene, or convention, or playstyle and say "This is D&D." It was a far-flung community of people having different experiences, bringing different assumptions to the table, and interpreting different sets of texts in different ways.

A kid buying the Red Box and playing with his friends is going to develop a very different idea of D&D from somebody who was already an avid wargamer, convention-goer, and zine-reader when OD&D was released.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Ewen Cluney posted:

Ron Edwards is working on a seminar thing he calls "Finding D&D," where he basically makes the case for D&D culture being a religion of sorts. I'm still watching and digesting it, but it's really interesting.

As somebody who was discovering RPGs during the eighties, I remember there was a degree of... discovery and interpretation. Games like AD&D, Traveller, anything Palladium did, none of these were particularly clear about how you played them. Adventures helped where you could find them, but none of those were clear texts. D&D (red box) was probably the most codified and clear game I encountered early on, but I don't feel like it was until GURPS that I ran into a particularly consistent and well-formed RPG. I ran across Fantasy Wargaming - The Highest Level of All at a library and presumed it was some supplementary text for AD&D on account of how little sense it made to me on its own.

I had no conventions or clubs to go to for a good number of years, so how we were supposed to play really was something you had to cobble together. It wasn't until I started attending university clubs as a high schooler and playing with older players that I started to really understand what it was like to play and organize a campaign and the like instead of just the weird experiments I'd done with friends as kids.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Not gonna lie, I like when people say "I don't get it, where's the grog" because it has some potential to turn into a conversation that, while it may not necessarily change someone's mind, often turns out to be educational to me somehow.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ewen Cluney posted:

Also I like how he said that when he first started publishing in 2000, stores would ask him why it wasn't d20. Two years later, they had so much unsold product that they would ask, "It's not d20, is it?"
I've said before that there's two local-ish game stores that still have shelves of d20 product they're never going to sell because they won't reduce the price on any of it.

And it's so obvious to everyone that nobody's going to touch that poo poo. People weren't going to touch it five years ago, they're sure as poo poo not going to touch it now. Just knock everything down to a buck a pop for a month or two, then just get rid of it. It's not going to make you a profit, but it's not like that poo poo is ever going make a profit at this point anyway.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I made a decent chunk of change off of my d20 collection by just doing the research on price. And I sold everything - everything. Even poo poo I thought was utterly unsalable, like Mongoose class pamphlets. It's just a matter of knowing its actual worth.

Four figures in my pocket was worth way more than than two or three shelves of untouched books.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

So what it's a documentary about another indie developer whining that the unwashed masses like dnd instead of his artful heartbreaker? Because there's ton of those already.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've said before that there's two local-ish game stores that still have shelves of d20 product they're never going to sell because they won't reduce the price on any of it.

And it's so obvious to everyone that nobody's going to touch that poo poo. People weren't going to touch it five years ago, they're sure as poo poo not going to touch it now. Just knock everything down to a buck a pop for a month or two, then just get rid of it. It's not going to make you a profit, but it's not like that poo poo is ever going make a profit at this point anyway.
The best part about stories like this is shelf space isn't free. A shelf full of bullshit is a shelf full of lost sales of whatever else you could have put up there. An appreciable part of their monthly rent is going toward storing unsorted recycling.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It's doubly dumb, because selling off obsolete crap for deep discounts lets you take the difference in sale and purchase prices as a tax write-off.

I'm not sure a game store exists that's actually run like a business, and not as a hobby.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Splicer posted:

The best part about stories like this is shelf space isn't free. A shelf full of bullshit is a shelf full of lost sales of whatever else you could have put up there. An appreciable part of their monthly rent is going toward storing unsorted recycling.
One of these stores has a loving ton of old out-of-print RPGs and board games, all still being sold for original list price. Which is both good and bad.

But this store also carries zero current indie games. No stand-alone indies, nothing Powered by the Apocalypse, not even a loving Fate Core book. Nothing. I think the closest they have is LotFP.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of these stores has a loving ton of old out-of-print RPGs and board games, all still being sold for original list price. Which is both good and bad.

But this store also carries zero current indie games. No stand-alone indies, nothing Powered by the Apocalypse, not even a loving Fate Core book. Nothing. I think the closest they have is LotFP.

Yo tell them to hit me up with some 4e book prices.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of these stores has a loving ton of old out-of-print RPGs and board games, all still being sold for original list price.
Do they have a website and do they do international shipping?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Splicer posted:

Do they have a website and do they do international shipping?

I think you already know the answer to this.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah, it's a small independently owned store. Citadel Games in Connecticut. They don't even have an actual web site.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Plutonis posted:

So what it's a documentary about another indie developer whining that the unwashed masses like dnd instead of his artful heartbreaker? Because there's ton of those already.

Nah, Ron Edwards genuinely likes D&D, although he dislikes some of the ways people play it. It's Vampire that he reserves his hatred for.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Thuryl posted:

Nah, Ron Edwards genuinely likes D&D, although he dislikes some of the ways people play it. It's Vampire that he reserves his hatred for.
The videos are critical of some aspects of the culture around D&D, but he's definitely a fan of D&D itself, and was very complimentary to some of its offshoots. It's legitimately interesting that the better D&D derivatives in his estimation are the ones that focused on refining rues to serve actual play rather than imitating the rules as presented in specific texts.

I found it interesting how at least as he experienced it, the publication of D&D was really random and scattershot. The original woodgrain box version only had a print run of 1,000 copies, and people who didn't have it were trying to cobble together what they could from a mixture of Basic, oral tradition, photocopies, Judges Guild products, etc., then the AD&D Monster Manual came out (which showed several important differences from Basic), then the "white box" reprint of OD&D. D&D isn't a game but a collection of around 9 or so games that hit a lot of the same tropes to varying degrees (and that's just the RPGs, which leaves out the D&D board games, video games, wood burning kit, etc.) and the related informal traditions around them. Post-Gygax TSR and then WotC both tried to tap into the culture and position their publications as authoritative, and the d20 license was in part a component of that marketing push.

He's highly critical of AD&D2e and Vampire for basically the same reason, that they promoted "story" in RPGs in a way where players participate passively rather than as authors.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

grassy gnoll posted:

It's doubly dumb, because selling off obsolete crap for deep discounts lets you take the difference in sale and purchase prices as a tax write-off.

I'm not sure a game store exists that's actually run like a business, and not as a hobby.

Not really. That would not be a capital asset so it's not like you would counted against the original purchase price. So, it would only matter if they got it that year. Taxes work on a cash basis, not a accrual basis. It's still better to sell then to have poo poo lying around, that's true. But you can't take it as a tax write-off because it's not a capital asset, it's just merchandise.

Thinking about it even further, you would just be marking at a sales and the purchases would have already been accounted for years ago so it's not like you would really see any benefit from it from a tax perspective. Still better to get the money, but selling old crap doesn't get you a tax benefit. If it was stocks or bonds or Capital asset then we can start talking about that. An argument could even be made for like an original copy of D&D signed by Gary gygax, but just old merchandise doesn't count.

I mean, I am new to working on smaller businesses and individuals. I've only done one busy season that's about to end. Most of my experience is more with hedge funds and mutual funds were such things don't really come up often.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I have a silly question probably

I've been sort of skimming some of the threads at work and I'd like to participate in one, and I saw a new CYOA thread that interests me (the Dungeon Keeper one). Do I need to know any systems or anything for a thread like that or is it basically all just improv stuff?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ewen Cluney posted:

The videos are critical of some aspects of the culture around D&D, but he's definitely a fan of D&D itself, and was very complimentary to some of its offshoots.
I mean, I don't think that a guy who categorically hates D&D would say "anyone interested in the history of roleplaying should read Deathstalkers, it's like the pure essence of Midwestern old-school D&D."

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 12, 2018

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

IcePhoenix posted:

I've been sort of skimming some of the threads at work and I'd like to participate in one, and I saw a new CYOA thread that interests me (the Dungeon Keeper one). Do I need to know any systems or anything for a thread like that or is it basically all just improv stuff?

Looks like you won't need to know anything in particular!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Thuryl posted:

Very well. Carry on then.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

IcePhoenix posted:

Even I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing.

COYA vary on the improv level, but even those that start backed by rules tend to move well past them quickly.

Come make bad choices with everyone else!

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Grey Hunter posted:

COYA vary on the improv level, but even those that start backed by rules tend to move well past them quickly.

I'm running a Scion 2 one over here.

We just finished character creation. We're using the rules in the book at the moment apart from where they don't make any sense (maybe take another swing at 'em, onyx path. There's- what's aim, exactly?) but I have a feeling that might change as stuff starts getting :catdrugs:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
especially if it's a CYOA, I feel like you won't need rules because everything should be done in service of whatever makes for the more interesting story, and at junctions where you honestly want to leave it up to chance, you can flip a coin or roll a d10 or something.

EDIT: this is different from a play-by-post, where presumably people want to directly engage with mechanics for its own sake, and also because the characters are specifically and individually controlled, rather than controlled by the Posting Collective.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 12, 2018

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Evil Mastermind posted:

How many FLGS stock indie RPGs? My store carries many mainstream RPGs and will order any RPG I ask, but doesn't really stock many indie games outside of 13th age and NBA. Most RPGs sit on the shelf for months outside of 5E.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

gradenko_2000 posted:

especially if it's a CYOA, I feel like you won't need rules because everything should be done in service of whatever makes for the more interesting story, and at junctions where you honestly want to leave it up to chance, you can flip a coin or roll a d10 or something.

I'm thinking d100 in the odd times I need to roll. But yeah, they should be story first "rules" second.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Grey Hunter posted:

The first bad choice (submitting my character) is complete! Looking forward to it, I always love dungeon keeper style games.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Sion posted:

I'm running a Scion 2 one over here.

We just finished character creation. We're using the rules in the book at the moment apart from where they don't make any sense (maybe take another swing at 'em, onyx path. There's- what's aim, exactly?) but I have a feeling that might change as stuff starts getting :catdrugs:

Please give that feedback on the OP forums. It's what Neall reads, and keeps an obvious record of issues raised.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

LeSquide posted:

Please give that feedback on the OP forums. It's what Neall reads, and keeps an obvious record of issues raised.

I am pretty sure it got picked up on. Do you know if there's going to be a second version of the text only for Origin and Hero?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Covok posted:

Not really. That would not be a capital asset so it's not like you would counted against the original purchase price. So, it would only matter if they got it that year. Taxes work on a cash basis, not a accrual basis. It's still better to sell then to have poo poo lying around, that's true. But you can't take it as a tax write-off because it's not a capital asset, it's just merchandise.

They're also paying property taxes on that dead inventory. Selling that crap will stop the bleeding.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

grassy gnoll posted:

There was a local game store owner that didn't reduce the price on back stock, and even after the store closed he'd show up at local cons with the same old stock in booths. And he had a lot of stuff he hadn't been able to sell, like a bunch of copies of Battlefleet Gothic that was a required purchase as a GW retailer, or a stack of World of Synnibarr he'd gotten somewhere and tried to push on folks. I don't know if he made just enough money doing that at cons, or if he was just stubborn, but I think eventually he ended up getting this stock bought by another local store before moving elsewhere.

Was always a bit surreal to see the same half-dozen copies of the Batman Role-Playing Game floating around the area, dreaming of a better home.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

alg posted:

How many FLGS stock indie RPGs? My store carries many mainstream RPGs and will order any RPG I ask, but doesn't really stock many indie games outside of 13th age and NBA. Most RPGs sit on the shelf for months outside of 5E.

Modern Myths in Massachusetts is very heavily invested in indie RPGs, to the point where I think they have more indie stuff than D&D.

Unfortunately, they're two hours away from me.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There was a local game store owner that didn't reduce the price on back stock, and even after the store closed he'd show up at local cons with the same old stock in booths. And he had a lot of stuff he hadn't been able to sell, like a bunch of copies of Battlefleet Gothic that was a required purchase as a GW retailer, or a stack of World of Synnibarr he'd gotten somewhere and tried to push on folks. I don't know if he made just enough money doing that at cons, or if he was just stubborn, but I think eventually he ended up getting this stock bought by another local store before moving elsewhere.

Was always a bit surreal to see the same half-dozen copies of the Batman Role-Playing Game floating around the area, dreaming of a better home.
The inability to understand the Sunk Cost Fallacy undoes a lot of small businesses.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The local dead stock FLGS saddened me a few years ago. I would have bougt a lot of their AD&D 2e campaign books for toilet reading, but they were still cover price. I can find a lot of the same stuff at Half Price Books for much less.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

mllaneza posted:

They're also paying property taxes on that dead inventory. Selling that crap will stop the bleeding.

No...? They're cost of maintaining inventory, but there's no property taxes unless they have a warehouse or something that they are not going to have any more after selling it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

And they own that warehouse, rather than renting it, which I think is extremely unlikely.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

And they own that warehouse, rather than renting it, which I think is extremely unlikely.

If anything, the expense of the rent is a tax write-off as it would count against their business income.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FMguru posted:

The inability to understand the Sunk Cost Fallacy undoes a lot of small businesses.
I'd say RPGs and other such niche/hobbyist stores are especially prone to this. You go to a chain and 99% of the stuff on the shelves will have been bought based on whether or not they think it will sell, with the remaining 1% being stuff they think will be good PR. If it doesn't sell it gets discounted or tossed. An FLGS or other weird niche industry with little mainstream competition is more likely to buy stock based on what they think is correct. Admitting something isn't going to sell doesn't just imply you made a bad business opinion, it implies you held a bad opinion.

e: ARB and EM do you mind if I cross-post your posts to the BWM thread?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 12, 2018

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Go ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Covok posted:

No...? They're cost of maintaining inventory, but there's no property taxes unless they have a warehouse or something that they are not going to have any more after selling it.

It depends on the state; although I am technically wrong (the worst kind of wrong) because I was assuming San Francisco's Business Personal Property tax included inventory.