Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

um, the new avengers looks school, i havent watched trailers because spoilers and such. but it looks good. will probaly be miles better then the han solo movie, lando and chewie look like the only good parts of that trainwreck.

Both will be good movies thoroughly enjoyed by all but nerds who hate fun.

Cross posting from the best cat thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

HappyHippo posted:

So the RNC launched an entire website to smear Comey? They must be worried about that upcoming interview..

https://twitter.com/colincampbell/status/984400504649285633

Man, imagine if the 20's and 30's nazi party were starting up in modern day, it'd probably look something like the Republican party
"No Reichstag fire, no Reichstag fire, you're the Reichstag fire"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

thegalagakid posted:

So here's a dad thought...and I am going to say that this families finances are about as believable as the McDonald's budget from a year or so ago, but...

Right now I'm teaching my daughter the piano with a Casio educational keyboard and my son the Guitar with a Fender 3/4 scale. Both of them are definately inclined musically and actually want to learn how to play which makes it really easy. The thing is, my daughter wanted to learn how to play the keyboard because she saw me writing some music with this 5 octave keystation and she thought that was cool as all hell (I can't actually play the thing with any real proficiency) and wanted to know more. My son wanted to learn the guitar because he saw a really old picture of me with a Gibson knockoff when I was his age and thought it would be fun.

In both of those cases, my kids wanted to learn because they thought it would be cool and they got the idea from somewhere else and just kinda ran with it on their own. I come across a lot of parents that have kids in music programs that know gently caress-all about a keyboard or guitar or anything musical, they just go through the motions of what they think they should do to check the box. "You're going to learn this because you're supposed to". I don't think the people in this finance thing have any remote clue what they are doing, and I can almost guarantee the parents are those "check the box" people for that amount of money they are spending. They are the kind of people that have a Steinway in their foyer and have no idea how to use the thing. Maybe I'm totally wrong on this, but i kinda have a feeling.

Just my thoughts.

That's nice. Their necks will still fit in a guillotine.

e: to clarify the Henrys from last page not your kids.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Mustached Demon posted:

There should be a movie starring chewbacca done in the style of Thor: Ragnarok. Make it happen.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nail Rat posted:

I don't think Bilbo was a HENRY, he was rich as gently caress IMO. He didn't do poo poo, just sat around smoking weed and eating cheese and he still had a loving gardener

He complains about having to spend "almost the last drop of the Smaug vintage". Typical bourgeois. (I wish I were half as bougie as Bilbo).

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

SocketWrench posted:

Man, imagine if the 20's and 30's nazi party were starting up in modern day, it'd probably look something like the Republican party
"No Reichstag fire, no Reichstag fire, you're the Reichstag fire"

The 20's and 30's nazi party are starting up in modern day.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
The only person I know who has ever owned a boat is one of my dad's friends from back when he built airplane turbine engines. Guy founded his own company and sold in the early 2000s for something like $12 million and even he got rid of his boat because it was too expensive. And he would sail it all up and down the Atlantic and go to Bermuda and scuba dive and what not.

If a multi-millionaire thinks owning a boat is too expensive, I think owning a boat is too expensive for everyone.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Nail Rat posted:

"Lyin' Comey?" Does the RNC think things like "Liddle' Bob Corker" and "Sloppy Steve Bannon" are effective?

They are appealing to the same people that spent eight years coming up with names for Obama and Michele. Gems like Obozo and the Wookie

Tayter Swift posted:

hang this poo poo up in a museum.

The assumed 40% tax rate with no concept of margin. The $1,500 going to charity each month (not a tithe, no siree). The $400 in gas each month (did the math, assuming 22mpg avg and $3.50/gal gas that's like 2600 miles a month). The $10,000 at the end just to make the final number smaller.

To devil's advocate i can kinda see the gas thing. I mean the owner of the McD's I used to work for went to each store multiple times a week. He lived in Mt Morris and had stores in Davison, Imlay City, Capac, Dearborn, two in Lapeer, plus his office in Grand Blanc. I mean that's a lot of distance to travel. I'm not saying it justifies everything else that poor rich guy does, but the gas I can understand

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 12, 2018

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

axeil posted:

The only person I know who has ever owned a boat is one of my dad's friends from back when he built airplane turbine engines. Guy founded his own company and sold in the early 2000s for something like $12 million and even he got rid of his boat because it was too expensive. And he would sail it all up and down the Atlantic and go to Bermuda and scuba dive and what not.

If a multi-millionaire thinks owning a boat is too expensive, I think owning a boat is too expensive for everyone.

To be fair I think lake boats are a lot cheaper to maintain than ocean worthy ones

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He complains about having to spend "almost the last drop of the Smaug vintage". Typical bourgeois. (I wish I were half as bougie as Bilbo).

loving shire.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

My dad put it as, "A boat is a hole in the water you throw money into."

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Koalas March posted:

Lando's vibe looks amazing, idc

well they actually picked a good actor for him. the dude who plays han kinda sucks and Emilia Clarke isnt known for her acting ability sadly.

Mustached Demon posted:

i don't hate it. i liked the other 3 new ones. this one looks meh, i am sure it will be ok but i just dont feel any hype like i did the last times.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

axeil posted:

My dad co-owned a 32ft sailing Yacht. But those are like £30k

Also god drat, their yearly payments on their mortgage is almost like slightly less than the entire amount i needed to buy my house...

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

haveblue posted:

Should have gone with "phony comey" IMO

No nanny mentioned but it did omit a line item for food (unless you're thinking of a different corporate obliviousness).

https://thinkprogress.org/mcdonalds-tells-workers-to-budget-by-getting-a-second-job-and-turning-off-their-heat-c3bce1526c1e/

I think I'm getting them mixed up. I knew there was a McDonald's one, but also one from another company that was completely oblivious and called for eliminating things no fast food or retail worker could afford in the first place.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

thegalagakid posted:

In both of those cases, my kids wanted to learn because they thought it would be cool and they got the idea from somewhere else and just kinda ran with it on their own. I come across a lot of parents that have kids in music programs that know gently caress-all about a keyboard or guitar or anything musical, they just go through the motions of what they think they should do to check the box. "You're going to learn this because you're supposed to". I don't think the people in this finance thing have any remote clue what they are doing, and I can almost guarantee the parents are those "check the box" people for that amount of money they are spending. They are the kind of people that have a Steinway in their foyer and have no idea how to use the thing. Maybe I'm totally wrong on this, but i kinda have a feeling.

There might be some fee milking by the instructors, but doing classical music is time and cost-intensive. I can easily see how money would rack up. Unless your kid is a prodigy, theory and proper technique take time to learn and a good teacher makes a lot of difference.

Plus, those kids could be like me and hate it in the beginning and only love playing music later when they get to exercise more agency in what and where they played. I really hated piano lessons and the recitals, but it helped me become a better bass player (which my parents never approved of, but tolerated).

DrNutt posted:

But they will sing beautifully on their way there.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

DrNutt posted:

e: to clarify the Henrys from last page not your kids.

well yeah, with goon genetics their necks will be too wide

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

axeil posted:

Yeah dude poo poo like this is ridiculously expensive, I don’t know how anyone affords that poo poo. It’s like having a second mortgage on a house you have to pay another mortgage on to rent the lot it’s sitting on.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

HappyHippo posted:

So the RNC launched an entire website to smear Comey? They must be worried about that upcoming interview..

https://twitter.com/colincampbell/status/984400504649285633

yeah, holy poo poo. this seems like a really bad and dumb move.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well they actually picked a good actor for him. the dude who plays han kinda sucks and Emilia Clarke isnt known for her acting ability sadly.

i don't hate it. i liked the other 3 new ones. this one looks meh, i am sure it will be ok but i just dont feel any hype like i did the last times.

How much hype was for Rogue One?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Account suspended, this was the tweet:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

How much hype was for Rogue One?

i was :(

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

HappyHippo posted:

Yeah everyone's skipping this part. They are saving, 36 grand a year in fact.

These people save my entire paycheck in a year, and spend 2 1/2 months of my salary on "fun money."

gently caress these people for ever complaining. Guillotine.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Your Taint posted:

I recall seeing the reverse of this a few years ago when I think McDonald's gave their employees budget sheets on how to get buy on their ridiculously low pay. It had things like "get rid of your nanny."

And second and third job slots

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Dog Tax. This is a pretty excellently reported, and horrible, story.

Mahoning posted:

I made a thing.

Thank you for your service :patriot:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I actually reported this tweet.

The system... works?

:confused:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The account may have been suspended but what about the 375 accounts that clicked the heart button on it?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Harton posted:

Yeah dude poo poo like this is ridiculously expensive, I don’t know how anyone affords that poo poo. It’s like having a second mortgage on a house you have to pay another mortgage on to rent the lot it’s sitting on.

Yeah, I was always interested in his sailing adventures so I'd ask what's up and inevitably every time it was "well this thing broke and that's going to cost about $15,000 to fix oh and I need to re-do another thing that costs another $5,000 plus we had to make an emergency port in the Bahamas so that was about $6,000 for the one night we docked there and fuel"

He ended up building a dock at his house in Florida for something like $100k? $200k? because it was cheaper than paying the marina fees :stare:. Now instead of doing boating stuff he goes out to Oregon where his son lives and helps build houses for Habitat for Humanity and he says the stress level is way lower.

Don't own a boat.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

KickerOfMice posted:

ProPublica - In Pennsylvania, It’s Open Season on Undocumented Immigrants

This is in PA, north of Philly a bit. Apparently a concentration of the tide of rapist, murderer "Mexicans."
Crossing the border between Mexico and Pennsylvania.

ICE is something I'm not able to summon the words to describe how unneeded it is.

This actually isn't on the main Route 309, it is on Old Bethlehem Pike just south of Quakertown. It is literally just a little shack that serves breakfast and dinner, about 3 miles from my house.

These fuckers just think they are the SS don't they. If the next Democratic congress doesn't eviscerate their budget they can all go gently caress themselves.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

"I'm sorry son, you're nearing 30, it's time for you to move out and get a job." Jesus gently caress, where can I find parents like this? Mine had me working at 12 and my rear end was thrown out the door a month after graduating high school.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

thegalagakid posted:

So here's a dad thought...and I am going to say that this families finances are about as believable as the McDonald's budget from a year or so ago, but...

Right now I'm teaching my daughter the piano with a Casio educational keyboard and my son the Guitar with a Fender 3/4 scale. Both of them are definately inclined musically and actually want to learn how to play which makes it really easy. The thing is, my daughter wanted to learn how to play the keyboard because she saw me writing some music with this 5 octave keystation and she thought that was cool as all hell (I can't actually play the thing with any real proficiency) and wanted to know more. My son wanted to learn the guitar because he saw a really old picture of me with a Gibson knockoff when I was his age and thought it would be fun.

Just my thoughts.

Lmao if you think my grandmother would've bought me a Casio when we have a perfectly good (out of tune) piano. It's a miracle I even learned to play because we didn't even get it tuned the first time until I was 20 and had already bought my cheap rear end Yamaha by then. My mom has bought my guitars has gifts/presents. The acoustic one I bought myself when I was still working and the Epiphone (ikr!) was a hand me down from a friend's brother.

Every cool thing I own was handed down to me or got a garage sale. (My vintage cameras, although two of those was handed down to me as well) aside from my computer (which goons helped me finish building) and most of my camera/audio equipment.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

Brony Car posted:

There might be some fee milking by the instructors, but doing classical music is time and cost-intensive. I can easily see how money would rack up. Unless your kid is a prodigy, theory and proper technique take time to learn and a good teacher makes a lot of difference.

Plus, those kids could be like me and hate it in the beginning and only love playing music later when they get to exercise more agency in what and where they played. I really hated piano lessons and the recitals, but it helped me become a better bass player (which my parents never approved of, but tolerated).

There's definately going to come a time shortly where I'm going to have to send them to someone who actually knows what they're doing, like for my daughter who is picking stuff up too fast for me to be a proper guide for a whole lot longer. My son decided he wants to do band in September and chose the saxophone (instead of the drums like his old man :shepicide: ) and I don't think I've ever even picked up a wind instrument in my life. Should be cool though.

I got a bass recently. I feel pretty good about it.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Groovelord Neato posted:

humans are the primates that have the largest whangs relative to body size (and in absolute terms). probably the only reason we're successful tbh.

daily reminder that people should definitely own guns:

Oklahoma Dad Allegedly Murders Son, 13, by Shooting at Truck He Thought Was Stolen

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/oklahoma-man-allegedly-kills-son-011805035.html

quote:

According to the World, defense attorney Winston Connor II, said: “Tony and his family are very sorry by the loss of their child and time will reveal the circumstances surrounding this unfortunate incident which does not constitute a crime.”

quote:

“But most of all, Kyle loved to talk, tease, joke, prank, and share stories with the ones he loved,” the obituary continued. “Heaven will definitely need to pass out earplugs now, because his contagious laughter will be heard throughout.”

I hope they had the dad read that out loud in court.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Account suspended

Another Conservative censored by David Hogg.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

That Pew research poll a few pages back is very good news. It should be possible to use it to destroy all the mainstream "conservative" media.

"Uh, if you want to be in business in 10 years you better get your house in order"

Of course some companies will still work on next quarters bottom line but it looks like the free market is on the brink of declaring being a neo Nazi sociopath is bad for business.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

thegalagakid posted:

There's definately going to come a time shortly where I'm going to have to send them to someone who actually knows what they're doing, like for my daughter who is picking stuff up too fast for me to be a proper guide for a whole lot longer. My son decided he wants to do band in September and chose the saxophone (instead of the drums like his old man :shepicide: ) and I don't think I've ever even picked up a wind instrument in my life. Should be cool though.

I got a bass recently. I feel pretty good about it.

I played the alto saxophone until I was in 8th grade. It's a fun instrument and fairly easy to play compared with a brass instrument or other woodwinds like flutes, oboes, etc.

Make sure he takes care of his reeds though! Reeds can get real, real nasty if you don't properly store them.

edit: also see if you can buy him a used saxophone rather than a new one. Saxes tend to be fairly easy to maintain and clean so even an older used one should still make good music. I think mine was only like $200 compared with $800 for a new one.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Apr 12, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SocketWrench posted:

"I'm sorry son, you're nearing 30, it's time for you to move out and get a job." Jesus gently caress, where can I find parents like this? Mine had me working at 12 and my rear end was thrown out the door a month after graduating high school.

For what it’s worth, that is weird as hell too.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Gee, this seems like a well adjusted and mature guy with some very sane and non threatening/dumb views.

Way to raise a man-baby you idiot morons

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Koalas March posted:

and the Epiphone (ikr!)

I stand by my opinion that Epi’s can be really solid and good guitars. I played em for years before I saved up for my vintage Gibson’s.

Except the late 80s Epi Strat copies. Those were poo poo.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That $500k/yr budget is hilarious. We don't make that much, still have a tight budget despite doing very well compared to most of the country. I've posted before about COI in Southern California with my 4 kids, and been eviscerated for it, but my budget is at least a bit more reasonable than that.

I have 4 kids, because I'm a drat masochist, and here's some insight into real-world costs in Orange County:

Daycare : We were spending $3,300/month for the 1 and 3 year old to be in daycare at an average chain facility by the house. We recently switched to an in-home daycare for about $2,000 and it rocks.

Tuition : Kids go to public schools.

Food : Probably spend $500/month. We don't eat out. Four kids, man.

Lessons : My 9 year old does Parkour classes on Saturdays (We've been trying to get him active any way possible, as the dude just wants to sit and play xbox all day. We finally found something that will get him moving), My 3 year old does gymnastics one day per week and swimming another, and my 1 year old does swimming one day per week with my wife. Total for all of this is about $550/Month.

Vacations : I have four loving kids. My wife is an attorney and I work even more hours than she does. We don't do vacations because how the gently caress would we? We have Disney annual passes, instead, which is insanely expensive ($4,000/year for the family) but gives us something to do when we get the chance on the weekends and the occasional day taken off from work.

*edit*

Alto sax here, too. 6th-9th grades. I wonder if I could even make a noise come out of one now, 20+ years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

axeil posted:

I played the alto saxophone until I was in 8th grade. It's a fun instrument and fairly easy to play compared with a brass instrument or other woodwinds like flutes, oboes, etc.

Make sure he takes care of his reeds though! Reeds can get real, real nasty if you don't properly store them.

:hfive: Even though I also stopped in 8th grade, I still get a wee bit excited for a sax solo in any song.

eyebeem posted:

Kids, goddamn

Honestly, I can't tell if it's selfish to want to have kids or selfish to not have kids. One of my main goals in life is to travel as much as possible and this sounds like it suuuuuucks.

Boon fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 12, 2018

• Locked thread