Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Swilo posted:

Since they come with two you could probably scavenge the A and B buttons from one to swap in for X and Y on the other.

iirc the mini's controller's are 1:1 in terms of size, so you could technically just grab an actual sfc controller and salvage it for it's buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

iospace posted:

Myst: a game that has a strategy guide the size of a college textbook.

Also Myst: an 18 minute game once you know all the solutions.

I mean, the same is true for basically any puzzle/adventure game

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Boogalo posted:

Booting up Zelda 1 to practice low% for SGDQ Lackattack murdered the category on accident

Old WR: 34:25

New WR: 31:42

That's only a little more than 3 minutes slower than any%.

That was fun to watch. Turns out that not dying makes a huge difference. Who’d a thought?

furry drum circle
Aug 7, 2007

Dear... God...

Boogalo posted:

some folks got super tilted at Lack's 28:50 zelda any% run.

it doesn't really surprise me when people hate on glitches since it's pretty much the gaming equivalent of making fun of crossfitters for doing goofy pullups

honestly the more I think about it, the more connections you can draw between speedrunning and crossfit and it makes me kinda sad

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Cool, had Bow in Tile Room in my first rando tournament match. According to the 25k seeds stat sheet that's a 3 / 25.000 chance to happen. What a load of crap.

Also, the most "speedrunning community" thing ever happened on the SpeedGaming Discord yesterday. Out of the blue some random person joined up and said "I have some feedback and I was told here is the appropriate place to put it" and then proceeded to post a... you guessed it, a loving pastebin. I can't even argue about the feedback or anything because it's all pretty accurate and not even anything dumb or drama worthy, but just the fact that any form of communication can apparently not be had face-to-face on Discord or in a voice chat or something but has to instead be a pastebin was just infinitely amusing to me. I hope the response is also in pastebin form.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
post the pastebin

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
https://www.twingalaxies.com/showth...062-800/page326

Twin Galaxies posted:

Based on the complete body of evidence presented in this official dispute thread, Twin Galaxies administrative staff has unanimously decided to remove all of Billy Mitchell’s’ scores as well as ban him from participating in our competitive leaderboards.

(...)

Jeremy’s assertion concluded that not only can original Donkey Kong arcade hardware not produce the board transition images shown in the recordings, but that these transitions were actually generated through the use of MAME (emulation software.)

(...)

In addition to Twin Galaxies� own investigation into the dispute case assertions, at least two different 3rd parties conducted their own explorations and came to identical conclusions.

Well it's done

tiistai fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Apr 12, 2018

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Gotta maintain that official status facade somehow!

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Phone posted:

post the pastebin

Sure, they're from the Zelda 2 (randomizer?) community and here's the message they posted:

TheCowness posted:

Wanted to drop some content feedback in here because the SG1 stream description said this was the place to do that. https://pastebin.com/jcMZ10sh

As I said, they're not wrong necessarily, just the fact that it had to involve a pastebin made me laugh. Some things never change I guess!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

abraxas posted:

Sure, they're from the Zelda 2 (randomizer?) community and here's the message they posted:

As I said, they're not wrong necessarily, just the fact that it had to involve a pastebin made me laugh. Some things never change I guess!

I really don't get it. Is Pastebin considered spergy or something?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Discord is great for live chatting but its become a bit of a problem for archiving. In the past when everyone was on forums, someone would post a threat with a question and it was easier to follow up on a discussion you missed but now there's kindof an impermanence to it where if you missed a discussion 2 days ago its pretty much gone due to it being hard to search for terms everyone would use somewhere like a zelda speedrun discord. You get the same questions asked over and over and its hard to have an FAQ with links to common questions and their respective answers/discussion.

Pastebin is permanent and easily shareable.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

cage-free egghead posted:

I really don't get it. Is Pastebin considered spergy or something?

No, I guess not... I suppose it's more of a meme if anything. Usually if any sort of drama happens or if anything crazy comes out of the speedrunning community, the first thing anyone will ask is "Is there a pastebin?" and usually, there is... probably more than one. Historically almost any drama coming out of GDQ either came from or resulted in a bunch of pastebins full or rambling fools with varying degrees of coherency. It just made me laugh to encounter the meme "out in the wild" so to speak. Also of note is that I'm a huge idiot so that probably adds to it.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
smh at not understanding the pastebin thing

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Holy poo poo.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Swilo posted:

Since they come with two you could probably scavenge the A and B buttons from one to swap in for X and Y on the other.

The buttons have tabs on the side to make sure they are inserted to the correct spots at the factory and won't fit.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Good for them. I know people give them shot for taking too long but I mean, booting billy Mitchell is probably a tough decision for them.

On lttpr that dude is right. I love randos but there are five hundred people in round one and everyone gets at least two matches. That’s over 1500 hours to get through and is kind of ridiculous. I get that it’s popular but they should probably have whittled it down before the mainstream tournament broadcast.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

hanales posted:

Good for them. I know people give them shot for taking too long but I mean, booting billy Mitchell is probably a tough decision for them.

On lttpr that dude is right. I love randos but there are five hundred people in round one and everyone gets at least two matches. That’s over 1500 hours to get through and is kind of ridiculous. I get that it’s popular but they should probably have whittled it down before the mainstream tournament broadcast.

For channel content, I agree. But in the end, :capitalism:

The SG channels are quite possibly making an assload and then some and z3r is by far the most popular thing they have on at any time. As I said, I don't think the dude is wrong at all and his feedback is valid, and from a channel content standpoint I completely agree that it's rear end to have rando all day every day. But it's a mutually beneficial relationship between the z3r community (continued explosive growth and exposure) and the SG network (tons of viewers = views, ads, bits, subscriptions, $$$). To add to that, a couple of high-up z3r people (admins, essentially) are now employed by SG to help with tournaments/stream operation, so the intermingling is even more pronounced. It's probably not gonna change for a while, I'm assuming.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

abraxas posted:

For channel content, I agree. But in the end, :capitalism:

I'm gonna paste a thing from the pastebin.

quote:

14.To SG's credit, they came to us, asking if the weekly Z2R race could be brought to SpeedGaming, but it's ended up being more hassle than it's worth. We aren't getting any new community members, racers, or Twitch followers out of it, and often the restream chat is less active than some of the runners' chats. I'm personally not willing to stream mic-less just to be featured on Speedgaming 3, and I'm not alone there. If my community and channel aren't growing from the restream, I shouldn't hurt my own stream's quality to improve the restream.

So....SpeedGaming approached them, said hey let's get your poo poo on our channels, and they said no. Then he's complaining that they're not on it?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

aren't the speedgaming twitch channels just run by feasel?

motherfucker must be rich as poo poo now. though if anyone in the speedrunning community deserves loads of cash he's a good candidate.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I want to give whoever wrote that a wedgie through the internet

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Do people actually sub/donate to the speedgamings? You're all talking about it like a money fountain.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I agree with the thrust of the 'bin. I do like LTTP Randomizer, but it has kind of been dominating the space for a while now. Not to mention double and tripling down on it with stuff like keysanity.

As for the tournament, they need to do it like the Japanese SF scene; weekly single elimination brackets. It's probably not feasible (time wise) with the number of people trying to play in the tournament, but BO3 + double elim/round robin on a 2 hour run is asking for trouble when the size of the active community is this large.

In unrelated news, I got Amarec working again. It sucks that it's a 32-bit application, though.

E: i guess 4.11 is 64-bit... i should stop running 2.31...

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 12, 2018

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Oyster posted:

So....SpeedGaming approached them, said hey let's get your poo poo on our channels, and they said no. Then he's complaining that they're not on it?

They accepted but it’s done basically nothing for them. I don’t really see much benefit for individual runners or communities to be restreamed on SG. They can’t use a mic when they’re on the re-stream, which actively makes their stream worse, and also non-representative of what their stream would usually be. I don’t follow anyone from the rando torunaments that I wasn’t already following before, because there’s no way for me to tell from the re-stream if that person can be entertaining enough to follow.

It actually seems like you get a better idea if you want to follow a commentator than a runner since you can actually see their personality, which kind of makes the whole thing real weird for anyone who was expecting stream growth from being involved with the tournament.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Do people actually sub/donate to the speedgamings? You're all talking about it like a money fountain.

iateyourpie recently hit 3,000 subscribers. that's like 7 grand a month assuming every one is just a 5 dollar sub and not a 10 or 25 (he has quite a few of both of those).

the four speedgaming channels collectively have had over twice as many viewers in the past month as pie. i don't think it's a stretch to assume that at the absolute bare minimum they have as many subscribers between the four of them as pie does.

(also holy poo poo i never thought about how much bank pie is pulling in :eyepop:)

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

pyromance posted:

They accepted but it’s done basically nothing for them. I don’t really see much benefit for individual runners or communities to be restreamed on SG. They can’t use a mic when they’re on the re-stream, which actively makes their stream worse, and also non-representative of what their stream would usually be. I don’t follow anyone from the rando torunaments that I wasn’t already following before, because there’s no way for me to tell from the re-stream if that person can be entertaining enough to follow.

It actually seems like you get a better idea if you want to follow a commentator than a runner since you can actually see their personality, which kind of makes the whole thing real weird for anyone who was expecting stream growth from being involved with the tournament.

I was restreamed on SG2 last night and got 6 followers after the race. And I lost.

You're right, there's no mic, there isn't much representation of what my normal streams are outside of "I totally screwed up and this guard has a key so I'm going to freeze him and throw him at every other enemy before using bombos to kill him" type of thing, but I've consistently gotten followers after every race that I've been on one of the SG's for. Perhaps that's more of a community thing, where they aren't experiencing growth simply because there aren't nearly as many people into watching Z2R.

Granted, I don't really follow anyone or watch streams, rando or otherwise, outside of GDQ, and only have my own streaming experience to pull from.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

Oyster posted:

No, he's saying they were approached, agree to be put on SG for their weekly, but they never get on the popular channels (SG and SG2). They are relegated to, at best, the "lesser" SG channels (3-5). Since the requirement for being restreamed on SG is to only have game audio and nothing else (so SG isn't restreaming your profanity laden tirades when poo poo goes wrong), they're saying in their 'bin that since the SG chat is always empty and/or dead, "making their personal stream worse" (by turning off their mic and essentially not being able to interact with their own viewers) isn't worth the loss in stream quality and the hassle to be restreamed to nobody on SG5.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

aren't the speedgaming twitch channels just run by feasel?
motherfucker must be rich as poo poo now. though if anyone in the speedrunning community deserves loads of cash he's a good candidate.

Yeah feasel and Mithical9 are the bosses behind SG, it's their brainchild and they made everything. Around the new year they nabbed up a few tournament helpers that have proven to be trustworthy workhorses and offered them actual employment (contract, taxes, all that stuff) so it's not just those two guys doing everything and never sleeping. Feasel has completely stopped streaming on his personal stream and is basically just 24/7 on SG now. But being able to pay like... 5? or so people full time while still making enough for yourself, and all that just from the revenue that the SG channels are making.... bling bling.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Oh you have no idea, see above! I obviously have no insight into the details on what the channel makes, but there's tons of subscriptions and donations in one form or the other. They also now have "bit races" which are rando races (at least that's where I've seen it) where you pay bits to give/remove items/hearts/magic/money/arrows/bombs from the two racers. Very obviously a milking-money-out-of-viewers thing, but people are making GBS threads out bits left and right so again, :capitalism:

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Do Z2R runs still have way too much fumbling around in dark caves? Because I can see why it would be harder to get people enthused about watching that.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

furry drum circle posted:

it doesn't really surprise me when people hate on glitches since it's pretty much the gaming equivalent of making fun of crossfitters for doing goofy pullups

honestly the more I think about it, the more connections you can draw between speedrunning and crossfit and it makes me kinda sad

Mmmm I love bad analogies can I have some more please?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
gently caress me, imagine your life's work and reputation being washed away because some kid with too much time sat down and started to dig into you and your work.

Like, I'm not saying pity Billy Mitchell because gently caress Billy Mitchell but imagine being a nationally known figure, part of the focus of a renowned documentary, to the point where even the people who don't like you still want to take a picture with you, and to wake up one morning and have it all washed away because someone put on their detective hat. That's got to be a hard pill to swallow.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Crotch Bat posted:

gently caress me, imagine your life's work and reputation being washed away because some kid with too much time sat down and started to dig into you and your work.

Like, I'm not saying pity Billy Mitchell because gently caress Billy Mitchell but imagine being a nationally known figure, part of the focus of a renowned documentary, to the point where even the people who don't like you still want to take a picture with you, and to wake up one morning and have it all washed away because someone put on their detective hat. That's got to be a hard pill to swallow.

"And he would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those meddling kids".

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Crotch Bat posted:

I mean if your lifes work is fraud though you kinda deserve it?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Trasson posted:

"And he would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for those meddling kids".

I think the combo of his personality and Todd Rodgers hosed him. Fair or not, people are more likely to take a nice guy at face value. Billy's looks, his personality, the ego, it makes people want to see you fail. And the Todd Rodgers side of it is simply that 1062 score where there's no evidence but Todd's word which, of course, is worthless.

Billy and Todd got caught because they got greedy. Todd put in scores outside of the realm of possibility for a game (and the realm of feasibility for many others) and while Billy was a bit smarter, it wasn't by enough.

Pash posted:

I mean if your lifes work is fraud though you kinda deserve it?

Oh for sure. Don't take this as me defending Billy Mitchell, it's hilarious that he got caught, it's just different from other people in the community getting caught like that OOT runner or even Rodgers who, for all his records, is still fairly unknown even in the video game community. Mitchell is a whole other ball of wax, it's not like Rodgers who can just slink away into the shadows, Mitchell is a known figure and instantly recognizable, he's going to have to face what he did everywhere he goes.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
you overestimate how visible that nerd is

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Clearly what he needs to do is just make a second movie called The Fall of King of Kong and monetize his own downfall.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Steve Wiebe should sue him for every last drop of hot sauce he owns.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

abraxas posted:

No, he's saying they were approached, agree to be put on SG for their weekly, but they never get on the popular channels (SG and SG2). They are relegated to, at best, the "lesser" SG channels (3-5). Since the requirement for being restreamed on SG is to only have game audio and nothing else (so SG isn't restreaming your profanity laden tirades when poo poo goes wrong), they're saying in their 'bin that since the SG chat is always empty and/or dead, "making their personal stream worse" (by turning off their mic and essentially not being able to interact with their own viewers) isn't worth the loss in stream quality and the hassle to be restreamed to nobody on SG5.

Yeah, I kinda conflated his section where he said that he personally doesn't want to get restreamed with that of the community, that's my own dumb lack of reading comprehension. I also took his statement about SG3 as a hypothetical. Just seemed odd that he'd complain about not being featured, then not want to be featured. I can understand the difference between even SG2 and SG3, though.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Crotch Bat posted:

In this case the kids with too much time are his long-time direct competitors in the same field, not some internet randos who felt like messing with him out of the blue as you kind of make it sound like.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

abraxas posted:

They also now have "bit races" which are rando races (at least that's where I've seen it) where you pay bits to give/remove items/hearts/magic/money/arrows/bombs from the two racers. Very obviously a milking-money-out-of-viewers thing, but people are making GBS threads out bits left and right so again, :capitalism:
This actually owns and I have no problem with that blatant cash grab because it sounds like it would be funny to watch.

(I also think the SGs would get fewer subs than pie because pie is a single human being who is always on his own stream, if that makes sense?)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This actually owns and I have no problem with that blatant cash grab because it sounds like it would be funny to watch.

(I also think the SGs would get fewer subs than pie because pie is a single human being who is always on his own stream, if that makes sense?)

It is very fun to watch, because having someone approach Zora and suddenly be at 499 rupees is just amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Honestly, that sounds really loving amazing, and it allows bits to be used acively for more than playing minigames like bitboss.

You are gonna get a ton of people active and engaged as people compete to screw over the speedrunners.

I would not be suprised if bit race functionality is expanded to allow for buffs/debuffs and more esoteric things to be thrown at the racers.