Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Off-topic, but the "syncretic tradition" thing is so very Jordan Peterson

syncretic tradition, rejection of modernism, action for action's sake, disagreement is treason, fear of difference, appeal to a frustrated middle class, obsession with a plot, :umberto:, life is permanent warfare, contempt for the weak and popular elitism, everyone is educated to become a hero, machismo, selective populism, newspeak

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yes right wing ideologies are revanchist and reactionary in both culture and materialistically its kind of their defining feature

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Jeb! Repetition posted:

He makes a powerful case for "peace process" being propagandistic but not "democracy"
the US itself is very frequently and often called a democracy in an orwellian manner while being run by business interests

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Its because 'plutocracy' isn't as inspiring a system of governance as 'democracy'.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i wish people would stop using eco as their basis for determining what fascism is

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

comedyblissoption posted:

the US itself is very frequently and often called a democracy in an orwellian manner while being run by business interests

At least they never commissioned a HMS Tyrannicide

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

R. Guyovich posted:

i wish people would stop using eco as their basis for determining what fascism is

Eco overcomplicated peoples' ability to define fascism by ascribing too many symptoms to its ur-state. If I were to pare it down I'd say that fascism is the realization of nationalist sentimentality into ideology, which seeks eternal struggle against all other cultures until only the national will remains supreme over all others. All the stuff about syncretic traditions doesn't really matter. It's a tool for defining fascist identity, and could just as well be something completely made up with no pretensions of ancient glory to legitimize itself.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's the terroristic dictatorship of capital. that's it

the surrounding ideology can vary, but its little more than window dressing. the violent, criminal enforcement of the bourgeoisie's will is what fascism is

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
everything is fascist. sorry to ruin your "fun"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

R. Guyovich posted:

it's the terroristic dictatorship of capital. that's it

the surrounding ideology can vary, but its little more than window dressing. the violent, criminal enforcement of the bourgeoisie's will is what fascism is

I don't think fascism can be divested from its nationalistic elements. Like, if there can be international capital it's hard to imagine an international fascism.

The terroristic enforcement of bourgeois will is practically what neoliberalism is. It might not be as savage as fascists like to be, but it doesn't have to in order to instill terror. It's the sophistication of the neoliberal terror regime that makes it, arguably, way more insidious.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 10:41 on Apr 12, 2018

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I don't think fascism can be divested from its nationalistic elements. Like, if there can be international capital it's hard to imagine an international fascism.

The terroristic enforcement of bourgeois will is practically what neoliberalism is. It might not be as savage as fascists like to be, but it doesn't have to in order to instill terror.

I'm just a simple country shitposter, but to me, the key element that makes something fascism, rather than just garden variety tyranny, is something that makes people complicit in their own/each other's oppression. A shared myth of identity (which can be nationalism but isn't necessarily limited to that) and a common enemy is usually the form this takes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Eh, pretty sure nearly all effective oppression ultimately involves nearly everyone being complicit in it.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

docbeard posted:

I'm just a simple country shitposter, but to me, the key element that makes something fascism, rather than just garden variety tyranny, is something that makes people complicit in their own/each other's oppression. A shared myth of identity (which can be nationalism but isn't necessarily limited to that) and a common enemy is usually the form this takes.

That's vague enough so you could apply it to anything, which is what made fascism lose its definitions in the mid-20th century to begin with. Practically speaking you're just talking about false consciousness.

IMO fascism needs to stay rooted in its post-WW1 nationalist revanchist origins, and has to be understood in that context. Fascists want to enforce a sense of holistic nationalism which sublimates class conflict to the will of political leadership, in order for the entire nation to be unified in waging its forever war against all alien & seditious elements. It's one thing to cultivate false consciousness by ginning up the threat of some fearful other, but enemies can be dealt with at arms' length even if the threat isn't genuine. Fascism seeks every opportunity to wage war with all others, and it loves every minute of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And has no qualms about simultaneously portraying itself as a nation of peace-loving victims forced into war by brutal greedy neighbours and traitors. 'Why did you make me hit you' and all.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nebakenezzer posted:

At least they never commissioned a HMS Tyrannicide

apparently we did, it fought in the revolutionary war

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/984381448277897221

https://twitter.com/emmaroller/status/984413727163404290

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

:drat:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

fascism is anyone who disagrees with me, personally, and if you disagree you know what that makes you???

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Tunicate posted:

fascism is anyone who disagrees with me, personally, and if you disagree you know what that makes you???

This is honestly how it works for lots of people

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I guarantee that this time next year Paul Ryan will be fully rehabilitated, and will then go on to become an honorary member of the #resistance once he says something like "threatening to use nuclear weapons against the vatican is problematic, mr. President. Do better"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In terms of how it's actually used, fascism is a propagandistic term that loosely centers around brutal oppression by the state and trying to define it beyond that is pointless because a clear definition wont change how people use it.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

joepinetree posted:

nuclear weapons against the vatican

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
Words mean however people use them and prescriptivism is wrong and dumb

For example, here is the Paper of Record saying Israel should intervene in Syria because it has a special obligation to stop war crimes. Words don't have meaning as they relate to Platonic ideas, as the author, also the author of “Rise and Kill First: The Secret History of Israel’s Targeted Assassinations," is not so interested in opposing war crimes as promoting an Israeli war on Syria. They are the ravings of a fool saying "Israel good. Syria bad." It's just dressed up to be more rhetorically appealing.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/984464935219552256

pee pee poo poo the NY Times is a bad paper

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tewdrig posted:

Yeah, we should just let the people with all the money and who own all the media define the way everybody interprets the world. You can read all about it in Liberal Fascism.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah, we should just let the people with all the money and who own all the media define the way everybody interprets the world. You can read all about it in Liberal Fascism.

Done. Next request?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Control Volume posted:

Done. Next request?

The Big Lie: Exposing the Nazi Roots of the American Left

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Tewdrig posted:

For example, here is the Paper of Record saying Israel should intervene in Syria because it has a special obligation to stop war crimes. Words don't have meaning as they relate to Platonic ideas, as the author, also the author of “Rise and Kill First: The Secret History of Israel’s Targeted Assassinations," is not so interested in opposing war crimes as promoting an Israeli war on Syria. They are the ravings of a fool saying "Israel good. Syria bad." It's just dressed up to be more rhetorically appealing.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/984464935219552256

pee pee poo poo the NY Times is a bad paper

i always love the wording of "do something" because it lets your brain fill in the action to be taken (inevitably, turning a mostly functional nation into a trash can for exporting weapons to, with overwhelming violence) with whatever you, the nice NYT-reading liberal, want it to be

and by that i mean do all these absolute monsters think that everyone just forgot about the iraq war completely given that this is the exact same loving thing

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The Big Lie: Exposing the Nazi Roots of the American Left

Sorry I cant do that after giving control over to the rich and powerful. Youre SOL here

e: Oh sorry thought you meant the American Right. Turns out what you requested is part of the package deal with media control

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i always love the wording of "do something" because it lets your brain fill in the action to be taken (inevitably, turning a mostly functional nation into a trash can for exporting weapons to, with overwhelming violence) with whatever you, the nice NYT-reading liberal, want it to be

and by that i mean do all these absolute monsters think that everyone just forgot about the iraq war completely given that this is the exact same loving thing

Netanyahu sighs as he activates his iron man suit

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

the bitcoin of weed posted:

1. We must do something.
2. This is something.
3. Therefore, we must do this.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4wTzPhZtkE

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is insufferable.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

i love how trump's quotes in this are more true than what the reporters are saying.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Today's David Brooks is mostly boring, one of his dumbass reviews of a dumbass book, but it does have this gem in it:

quote:

Goldberg points out that for eons human beings were semi-hairless upright apes clumped in tribes and fighting for food. But about 300 years ago something that he calls “the Miracle” happened. It was a shift in attitude. For thousands of years, societies divided people into permanent categories of race or caste. But, Goldberg writes, “the Miracle ushered in a philosophy that says each person is to be judged and respected on account of their own merits, not the class or caste of their ancestors.”

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pospysyl posted:

Today's David Brooks is mostly boring, one of his dumbass reviews of a dumbass book, but it does have this gem in it:

Absolutely none of this is true.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So this week in the race to the bottom, who wrote the worst op-ed in the NYT?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/984790866895175680

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/ebruenig/status/985549715252097024

the INCOHERENT new york times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Absolutely none of this is true.

our predecessor species going back literal hundreds of thousands of years where taking care of the sick and elderly. altruism and mutalism have existed for very loving long time