Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

So glad i haven't watched BvS or JL.
DC is loving inept.

BVS looks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Basebf555 posted:

They also hit the jackpot with Downey Jr. in Iron Man. If not for that casting things could've turned out a lot differently.

Yeah, he deserves every penny of his insane deal with them. He basically dragged the movies along on his shoulders until The Avengers.

Along with Sam Jackson, which is why it's been really weird how he's been kind of tossed aside until Captain Marvel comes out.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the middle east scene where Jimmy Olsen was executed by a terrorist sect in Batman Vs Superman looked pretty good

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I know i was really impressed with the injustice 2 graphics,harley was freakishly human.How the gently caress do videogame graphics manage to look better than henry cavills face??

Uncharted 4 blows it out of the water. Injustice 2 looks impressively realistic, but it looks like an impressively realistic DTV movie. Uncharted 4 actually looks like a real movie with an actual budget and production values.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Injustice is real dumb.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

A lot of people disliked BvS and I totally get it. It has problems. It's basically two movies spliced into one, so the editing and pacing is jarring. Also, the reason why Batman stops trying to kill Superman gets stupider the more I think about it ("Martha!").

I disagree with some of the common complaints, such as the movie being confusing. The actual story-lines for each character are not that complicated or hard to follow. If there was an easy way to watch the Batman scenes separately as a Batman movie, and the Superman scenes separately as a Superman movie, only including the other when it's relevant or when they share the scene, I think people would take to it a lot more.

People also say they don't understand some of the motivations of the characters, despite them explicitly stating them in the movie. I think people just don't pay attention or something, because they'll say things like "Why does Luther want to kill Superman?" Did you even watch the movie and listen to what he was saying?

I disagree with the "not my Superman" thing. Superman doesn't kill anyone (even the bad guy who kidnaps Lois, which they again explicitly state in the movie), he's shown saving people from a flood (complete with religious imagery), he tries to stop Batman from killing people, and he helps clean up and save people after the explosion at the Capitol (which I think was just in the director's cut, but really should have been kept in the theatrical version). Superman is still a Jesus figure, his existence is a struggle, and the movie really hits you over the head with it.

I also disagree with the "not my Batman" thing. Batman kills people in the movie, and those he doesn't kill either get a death sentence anyway (via the Bat-branding) or probably-permanent injuries. However, Batman kills in every Batman movie series (despite claims otherwise), this movie just takes that fact to a more visceral and brutal place that people seemed to be uncomfortable with. Batman is a broken shell of a person and his story is one of redemption.

I think the movie is good. It set the future DC universe up nicely, but it's too bad Justice League flat-out ignored so much of it, and JL is a much worse movie because of that (and many other reasons). I assume now that we'll never get answers to the Flash travelling thru time or Batman's Darkseid-induced dreams, and JL brought Superman back in the dumbest way. BvS also has some beautiful scenes that Whedon couldn't even get close to creating, it's obvious Snyder took a lot of care to craft each scene. The movie is also extremely dense with imagery and symbolism (although maybe even too much).

All right, I'm done.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Honestly my main BvS complaints boil down to

1. It’s too much of a Batman movie and not enough of a Superman movie. I wanted to see more focused character expansion after MoS. I like Cavill. I wish we got more of him.

2. “Martha.” And not because of the memeness of it, but because I think it bungles an inherently important moment: it’s where Batman see’s Superman as a person for the first time. The execution just sucks.

3. Too much cinematic universe worldbuilding. The narrative is bloated as is without laying breadcrumbs for Justice League.

4. Dumb context around big choices. Like everybody asks “why didn’t Wonder Woman kill Doomsday with the Kryptonite spear?” In terms of staging, it really doesn’t make sense. If there had been a ten second shot of her getting buried under rubble, or thrown across the harbor, that would have given enough justification for Superman to make the suicide run.

It’s a very pretty movie with some really fun performances, and I don’t hate it with the fury of a thousand suns, but I find a lot of it frustrating because a lot of its flaws seem easily fixed with a little more polish.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Apr 12, 2018

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Injustice is real dumb.

I watched further into the clip and my brain definitely started going numb in a way that only Ed Boon makes possible.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Guy A. Person posted:

I agree with this but I do think there's some merit to Iron Man's C-List status protecting him from the "Not My ____" phenomenon. When his debut film was released people understood that he was an Official Established Super Hero with a history, but nobody knew or cared enough about that history to bitch about him revealing himself as IM at the end or that Edwin Jarvis became J.A.R.V.I.S.

Now you did see a bunch of that in IM3 with them "raping childhoods" or whatever by making a joke out of the Mighty Mandarin and that did cause Marvel to temporarily freak out and put out that web serial, they just had good enough timing that it happened at the end of the character's solo movie cycle. Whereas Superman had to deal with think pieces about how Pa Kent is a Randian Objectivist and that made Superman bad because he didn't smile enough and his suit wasn't bright red enough.

Even then, we have the usual ever-shifting notions of 'success'. Is Josh04 talking about whiny thinkpieces when he says MCU is 'successful' and 'not-crap'? As with Celticpredator, we can never get a clear answer. People will go to the box office or their personal rating, taking brief stabs at defining a nebulous 'quality' - often interchangeably. "I feel like this movie was financially successful" or "I feel like this is the first movie to have multiple characters."

It's actually not so complicated. More nerds complain about Man Of Steel than Iron Man because of two related factors: A) Man Of Steel is ideologically opposed to nerdism (i.e. the ideology encapsulated in Cline's Ready Player One), while Iron Man is decidedly not, and B) in terms of sheer volume, more people watched Man Of Steel. So we can presume that, proportionately, more nerds saw Man Of Steel - and those nerds were considerably more likely to complain.

This happens over and over. Widely-viewed movies that criticize nerdism are invariably the ones that end up on those clickbait 'raped childhood' articles. Prometheus, for example, obviously isn't the worst-made movie of all time - but it is one of the most prominent (and brutal) criticisms of nerdism in pop culture.

Another obvious example: roughly the exact same number of people bought tickets to BVS as bought tickets to Spiderman 6. The exact same number of people watched them (though more watched BVS if we factor in home sales). Spiderman 6 is, however, about a heroic nerd - so it came and then disappeared without remark. BVS, on the other hand, has Superman literally killed by a villainous nerd's plot to capitalize on superheroes and create his own franchise. And we still have yet to hear the end of it.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Farg posted:

the middle east scene where Jimmy Olsen was executed by a terrorist sect in Batman Vs Superman looked pretty good

I love that nerds can't get over this. In a movie about a god trying to save who matters, he doesn't save the one he historically does and they can't understand why.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
SMG, can you take a moment to remind us what 'nerdism' is?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Ok I will! That was easy. Also, enjoying things is fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FElfV-2H5vU&t=32s

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

bushisms.txt posted:

I love that nerds can't get over this. In a movie about a god trying to save who matters, he doesn't save the one he historically does and they can't understand why.

That's not why the scene is funny

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Even then, we have the usual ever-shifting notions of 'success'. Is Josh04 talking about whiny thinkpieces when he says MCU is 'successful' and 'not-crap'? As with Celticpredator, we can never get a clear answer. People will go to the box office or their personal rating, taking brief stabs at defining a nebulous 'quality' - often interchangeably. "I feel like this movie was financially successful" or "I feel like this is the first movie to have multiple characters."

It's actually not so complicated. More nerds complain about Man Of Steel than Iron Man because of two related factors: A) Man Of Steel is ideologically opposed to nerdism (i.e. the ideology encapsulated in Cline's Ready Player One), while Iron Man is decidedly not, and B) in terms of sheer volume, more people watched Man Of Steel. So we can presume that, proportionately, more nerds saw Man Of Steel - and those nerds were considerably more likely to complain.

This happens over and over. Widely-viewed movies that criticize nerdism are invariably the ones that end up on those clickbait 'raped childhood' articles. Prometheus, for example, obviously isn't the worst-made movie of all time - but it is one of the most prominent (and brutal) criticisms of nerdism in pop culture.

Another obvious example: roughly the exact same number of people bought tickets to BVS as bought tickets to Spiderman 6. The exact same number of people watched them (though more watched BVS if we factor in home sales). Spiderman 6 is, however, about a heroic nerd - so it came and then disappeared without remark. BVS, on the other hand, has Superman literally killed by a villainous nerd's plot to capitalize on superheroes and create his own franchise. And we still have yet to hear the end of it.

Nerds didn't like Man of Steel because they wanted Dad Superman. However, MoS Superman was, like, Your Older Brother Who Has to Raise You After Your Parents Died In A Car Accident Superman at best (this isn't a criticism I'm just describing tone).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I would have like Beavis a lot more if there were more scenes of the military getting hosed up instead of Doomsday threatening Gotham City's historic abandoned warehouse district.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I also think that MoS gets a lot of flack because it’s not a movie about Superman, but about Clark Kent becoming Superman. And Clark Kent is pretty loving new at the superhero game in that movie. He makes huge mistakes when it comes to protecting Metropolis, and resorts to killing Zod out of desperation. And that’s the point. He’s not the Big Blue Boyscout... yet. But all that destruction and death, wouldn’t that galvanize someone into being better? Isn’t that a stronger character arc?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

RBA Starblade posted:

I would have like Beavis a lot more if there were more scenes of the military getting hosed up instead of Doomsday threatening Gotham City's historic abandoned warehouse district.

You mean the abandoned warehouse district that has no people in it?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Optimus Dad was genuinely revelatory and I wish I knew I who to credit that to.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart City posted:

He makes huge mistakes when it comes to protecting Metropolis

Uh...what mistakes? Kissing Lois after he saves her? I mean he fucks up in Smallville because he smashes Zod into the middle of the town...but Metropolis?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Uh...what mistakes? Kissing Lois after he saves her? I mean he fucks up in Smallville because he smashes Zod into the middle of the town...but Metropolis?

Bunny-hopping over the tanker truck that crashes into the building comes to mind. Also, the big criticism of the finale is that Superman doesn’t keep the fight “contained” (which is actually a point raised in BvS with the entire fight being framed as a 9/11 style event from the ground). He’s not the all-protecting living shield that is the commonly held interpretation of the modern version of the character.

Which, like I said, is actually fine in my book. The entire finale is a lesson on why Clark needs to become that idealized version of Superman.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Optimus Dad was genuinely revelatory and I wish I knew I who to credit that to.

These fruitless Google searches, man.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Fart City posted:

Bunny-hopping over the tanker truck that crashes into the building comes to mind.

Right after this, he looks at the explosion and gets punched in the face, so yeah.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NTRabbit posted:

You mean the abandoned warehouse district that has no people in it?

Yeah, the one by the docks!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Should have bought the buildings real quick like Mr. Stark

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Even then, we have the usual ever-shifting notions of 'success'. Is Josh04 talking about whiny thinkpieces when he says MCU is 'successful' and 'not-crap'?

I made a lazy post about Iron Man 2 because I wanted to talk poo poo about the alcoholic robot-man, I don't deserve this kind of slander.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Corrosion posted:

These fruitless Google searches, man.

Oh, it was something from the TF thread around the time of the 3rd movie, I think, where it was repeatedly pointed out that people really did think of Optimus Prime as their dad and this prevented them from accepting what a drat psycho he is in the movies.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Coming from the other end, what UE is good at isn't super useful for big studios. Basically, it offers a super good rendering pipeline and animation toolset that is completely free, can run on consumer CPUs and GPUs without melting them, and puts out pretty enough results that you could totally make indie stuff with it that looks fine. Big studios have all of these problems solved, but UE offers a way in for students and other people without access to massive render farms.

Yeah, the impression I got from trying iy is that there's not a huge amount of practical utility to it (can't see it making significant inroads on rendering or compositing), but its still getting a lot of industry buzz.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Fart City posted:

Bunny-hopping over the tanker truck that crashes into the building comes to mind. Also, the big criticism of the finale is that Superman doesn’t keep the fight “contained” (which is actually a point raised in BvS with the entire fight being framed as a 9/11 style event from the ground). He’s not the all-protecting living shield that is the commonly held interpretation of the modern version of the character.

Which, like I said, is actually fine in my book. The entire finale is a lesson on why Clark needs to become that idealized version of Superman.

The idealized version of Superman is actually part of the problem. A good version of Superman is simply one who would give everything for the sake of all mankind, it's a matter of values, not sheer ability. The idealized version of Superman clung to by most fans is one that exists in a symbolic order that is contrived so that he is functionally omnipotent and infallible. This "all-protecting living shield" isn't just a matter of, say, Clark being able to exploit his powers on a dime and expertly minimize all casualty; it's a matter of him specifically being physically able to perform these actions without unforeseen consequence.

You are correct that Man of Steel is the story of a young man who is simply trying to use his talents to uphold righteousness. But the film is also very straightforwardly rejecting fantasies of an idealized scenario, where simply by wanting to do the right thing and trying really hard, 'Superman' the omnipotent and infallible protector will replace the impotent and fallible Clark. It's not a question of Clark simply being a greenhorn who doesn't do enough or underestimates his own abilities or needs more experience or whatever. The point is that Superman doesn't exist, there is only this one man whose powers are greater than he is, and, even further than this, is still just a speck in a cold and uncaring universe filled with forces and consequences that nobody could possibly foresee or adequately minimize.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Fart City posted:

Bunny-hopping over the tanker truck that crashes into the building comes to mind.

We've had this conversation. If he stopped it...it would have blown up, and stunned him, and then Zod would have killed him. Earlier in the movie he's hit a gas station and the (much smaller) explosion stuns him for over 20 seconds.

Also it crashes into the parking garage that Superman just walked out of after being tossed into it. I'll repeat that: Superman just walked out of a building that's used to store cars, not contain people, so he knows whether anyone is in there. He then lets the tanker crash into it. We never see that it's empty but it's a fair bet that it is.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RBA Starblade posted:

That's canon

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Man that show is amazing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MacheteZombie posted:

Man that show is amazing.

The Twitter feed Batman 66 Labels is just the best: https://twitter.com/BatLabels

SUBTLE INTERROGATION LAMP

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The Twitter feed Batman 66 Labels is just the best: https://twitter.com/BatLabels

SUBTLE INTERROGATION LAMP

https://twitter.com/BatLabels/status/937777792816738304

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

We've had this conversation. If he stopped it...it would have blown up, and stunned him, and then Zod would have killed him. Earlier in the movie he's hit a gas station and the (much smaller) explosion stuns him for over 20 seconds.

Also it crashes into the parking garage that Superman just walked out of after being tossed into it. I'll repeat that: Superman just walked out of a building that's used to store cars, not contain people, so he knows whether anyone is in there. He then lets the tanker crash into it. We never see that it's empty but it's a fair bet that it is.

I mean I get what you’re saying, but I want to be clear: me saying that he makes mistakes in the finale wasn’t a criticism. I actually think his fallibility during the fights in Smallville and Metropolis is good character building. Curt Swan’s Superman would have stopped the truck. But then again, that version probably wouldn’t have been tossed around by his cape either. That’s not the character presented in the movie.

My initial point is that I think Man Of Steel gets a lot of criticism because it doesn’t feature the “right” Superman. I’m of the opinion it’s not really about Superman, but Clark’s Kent taking his first steps towards becoming that persona (whatever that means). The movie notably omits the name of the character, for example (something not even done in the first installment of Nolan’s reboot trilogy). And - correct me if I’m wrong - but I don’t remember “Superman” being said aloud in the movie. Lois gets cut off in the interrogation room. Thanks Corrosion, I stand corrected. According to IMDB, he’s referred to an Superman only once in the movie.

Clark Kent/Kal-El is the main focus of MoS, not Superman. He wears the suit, but not the title yet.

Tart Kitty fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 12, 2018

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Fart City posted:

And - correct me if I’m wrong - but I don’t remember “Superman” being said aloud in the movie. Lois gets cut off in the interrogation room.

The US Military scenes involve characters calling him by that name. About 1 hour and 45 minutes in upon checking.

Corrosion fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Apr 12, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This owns, I take it back

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh, it was something from the TF thread around the time of the 3rd movie, I think, where it was repeatedly pointed out that people really did think of Optimus Prime as their dad and this prevented them from accepting what a drat psycho he is in the movies.

Ah, that, like how the Majin Boo arc totally goes over people's heads even as people call Goku a bad father.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Coming from the other end, what UE is good at isn't super useful for big studios. Basically, it offers a super good rendering pipeline and animation toolset that is completely free, can run on consumer CPUs and GPUs without melting them, and puts out pretty enough results that you could totally make indie stuff with it that looks fine. Big studios have all of these problems solved, but UE offers a way in for students and other people without access to massive render farms.

I've heard talk that UE4 and even Unity are advancing quickly enough that we're not that far off from being able to work on movie-quality CG in realtime. But that may well just be hyperbole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Barry Convex posted:

I've heard talk that UE4 and even Unity are advancing quickly enough that we're not that far off from being able to work on movie-quality CG in realtime. But that may well just be hyperbole.

Same as it ever was, for a given value of "movie-quality", a carefully chosen scene, and a polite understanding of "realtime". The big noise is NVidia and Microsoft teaming up to stuff some GPU raytracing acceleration onto the GPU, so you can augment some effects that raster engines (like Unreal) are historically bad or slow at (like ambient occlusion) with a rough GPU ray traced version in around real-time. Here's the demo video from GDC, if you're interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lytr0pKv_TY&t=80s