Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
yeah i kind of broke off around the time murkoph first appeared but i'm due for a binge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, Allison's troll game is on point. Does he read the thread? :tinfoil:

Every use of Desmond Fishman since the end of Scary Go Round has been a "Oi, about half me fans hate this bloke" troll. It's not limited to this thread.

(If you do read the thread JA please reformat your website so your strips aren't cramped into a frame 75% the size of the actual artwork. It kills all the little details, like Shelley's Lunar Sea Trilogy poster in today's strip.)

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i think desmond is adorable and always have tbh

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
team des

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

this broken hill posted:

all the webcomics going atm are some loving safe rear end whitebread non confrontational pansy poo poo. webcomics are the only true independent medium left, where the hell are all the dissenting opinions? it's all loving magical girls and bland furries, it means nothing, it signifies nothing, it is all completely worthless from an artistic standpoint in this, the most dynamic of political eras - the 21st century fall of the roman empire. you should all be ashamed of yourselves

u gotta pay like $1 for Crow Cillers

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

also yungbluth just put a new Clarissa series up but goons whine forever if you mention it

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i am like the only person i know who wasn't molested as a child

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my therapist has helped me come to realize my parents neglected crucial parts of my upbringing

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
i was emotionally and physically abused, but not sexually. this has led to my current career as a webcomics artist. you may have heard of me: i am known as aaron diaz

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im not particularly ashamed to admit id accept a "career" like that lmao

i could buy some new shorts w that money

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
yeah seriously i'd give my own rear end to be diaz

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

this broken hill posted:

yeah seriously i'd give my own rear end to be diaz

this is how you become Diaz, infernal rear end pacts

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

this broken hill posted:

all the webcomics going atm are some loving safe rear end whitebread non confrontational pansy poo poo. webcomics are the only true independent medium left, where the hell are all the dissenting opinions? it's all loving magical girls and bland furries, it means nothing, it signifies nothing, it is all completely worthless from an artistic standpoint in this, the most dynamic of political eras - the 21st century fall of the roman empire. you should all be ashamed of yourselves

I don’t disagree with this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Sometimes I read a comic about music hipsters and gay robots.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
bvb is halfway to gay musicians and robot hipsters

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

bvb is halfway to gay musicians and robot hipsters

I'm not ready to rule out the possibility that Zero is a robot

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 12, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Straight White Shark posted:

I'm not ready to rule out the possibility that Zero isn't a robot

i have no memory of zero, let alone what zero is

oh no, ill have to... reread bvb

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this convenience store clerk is the jolliest person i have ever met in every sense of the word save literally being santa

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

JethroMcB posted:

(If you do read the thread JA please reformat your website so your strips aren't cramped into a frame 75% the size of the actual artwork. It kills all the little details, like Shelley's Lunar Sea Trilogy poster in today's strip.)

That's a good point. I just put this down in Stylish as the "Scary-Go-Big" style and the site now looks better, and less like you'd expect a "Best viewed in Netscape Navigator" button at its bottom.

code:
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("scarygoround.com") { #parent { max-width: 1400px !important; } }

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 12, 2018

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

also yungbluth just put a new Clarissa series up but goons whine forever if you mention it

I think his stuff is pretty well done but the whole premise of Clarissa is awkward if you don't know it started out as a parody of a bad lifetime movie he watched once. But tbh it's more relevant now than ever before with the decades of rape skeletons falling out of every other closet.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

That's a good point. I just put this down in Stylish as the "Scary-Go-Big" style and the site now looks better, and less like you'd expect a "Best viewed in Netscape Navigator" button at its bottom.

code:
@namespace url([url]http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml[/url]);

@-moz-document domain("scarygoround.com") { #parent { max-width: 1400px !important; } }

Just tried this and it doesn't seem to be working. I know nothing about Stylish, so...

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dabir posted:

Just tried this and it doesn't seem to be working. I know nothing about Stylish, so...

Try without the forum-inserted [url] tags.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spotted and removed them and it still isn't working.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

this broken hill posted:

I have no talent at drawing or writing or any good story ideas but I may have strong and possibly terrible opinions about things should I make a webcomic?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
absolutely

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dabir posted:

Spotted and removed them and it still isn't working.

Well then I dunno, works for me :shrug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zerilan posted:

I have no talent at drawing or writing or any good story ideas but I may have strong and possibly terrible opinions about things should I make a webcomic?
Never stopped anybody before.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
actually no, nobody should do webcomics. everyone should do paintings. aaron diaz could be making thousands of dolars more per page at this point if he was making his comic into real, huge paintings he could sell. but he doesnt bexause hes either a big chicken or doesnt actually know how to paint or both.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FunkyAl posted:

actually no, nobody should do webcomics. everyone should do paintings. aaron diaz could be making thousands of dolars more per page at this point if he was making his comic into real, huge paintings he could sell. but he doesnt bexause hes either a big chicken or doesnt actually know how to paint or both.

as any artist can tell you, there is no more reliable nor more lucrative market than selling paintings

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Just fill them with drugs first!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think his stuff is pretty well done but the whole premise of Clarissa is awkward if you don't know it started out as a parody of a bad lifetime movie he watched once. But tbh it's more relevant now than ever before with the decades of rape skeletons falling out of every other closet.

I didn't know that, I just thought it was a well written empathetic portrait of a pretty common thing to feature in peoples' lives, that hasn't been sent through the internet glurge processor of "actually the dad is an orc and Clarissa gets to behead him with an axe just like in my videogames"

It should be awkward, it's nailing that sense of horror of being totally under a sadist's power and nobody is going to help because your problems bum them out. That's an extremely legitimate job for art to do in a medium that's overwhelmingly escapist power fantasies for manchildren where sexual violence is a spice you sprinkle in to make your story about beheading orcs Mature and Serious, or something to jerk off to.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 12, 2018

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Mors Rattus posted:

as any artist can tell you, there is no more reliable nor more lucrative market than selling paintings

You should also paint because it is fun and the real world will appear gradually more beautiful as you notice more of her colors.

What makes you believe webcomics make money?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The subject was Aaron Diaz. Webcomics may be a terrible way to make money in general, but they're certainly a better way for Aaron Diaz to make money than painting would be.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Ditocoaf posted:

The subject was Aaron Diaz. Webcomics may be a terrible way to make money in general, but they're certainly a better way for Aaron Diaz to make money than painting would be.

Dude is an established name living in a city with one of the most expansive art markets on earth. He already "paints" his pages, If he rendered them in real paint he would end up with both the thing he needs for his existing job and an artifact he could sell for a lot of money.

E: also, to put my money where my mouth is, i am going to start rendering select duck comics pages in oil paint

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Painting for fun is cool and good, but I'm just gonna note that I wasn't the one that brought up the money.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Aaron Diaz could make a fuckload more money by doing pretty much anything, but he doesn't, because he already makes a fuckload of money doing nothing. He doesn't need your savvy business advice and the joe blow making like $500-$1000/mo in patreon pocket change is not in fact going to sell his originals for thousands of bucks a page to the vast population of wealthy eccentrics who just can't get enough second-rate paintings of cartoon characters

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Mors Rattus posted:

Painting for fun is cool and good, but I'm just gonna note that I wasn't the one that brought up the money.

true, but i hope you'll understand i am reticent to begin an extended debate about the economics of fine art with some rando who consistently talks down to me on an online forum about webcomics

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FunkyAl posted:

true, but i hope you'll understand i am reticent to begin an extended debate about the economics of fine art with some rando who consistently talks down to me on an online forum about webcomics

says the rando that comes into the online forum about webcomics to talk down to people

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Every once in a while fulltime professional webcomicers who work in traditional media do sell their originals, which is why I've got a handful of $20 pages of webcomic I don't know what to do with because I'd never, like, hang them or anything and I just bought them to help the poor schmuck not become Basic Income Please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FunkyAl posted:

i would have more respect if you weren't literally saying things like 'Aaron Diaz should sell paintings of his webcomics for thousands of dollars'