Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

The best bit in that mission is Kiryu going 'Well, at least I'll never have to deal with zombies again.'

Mj's sound effects are the best thing actually but good call

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Everyone in this thread should also be blessed:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/984491342339375105

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The Yakuza series is based on real life, which gives it more depth and makes it an even better series.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
#Sassy #NoFilter

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Night in the Woods won a BAFTA for Best Narrative!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://twitter.com/9_volt88/status/984498373951664128

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I love it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Easy Allies has their review of God of War up now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqJFL0lH4ZE

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea who Easy Allies is.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It makes me think of "uber alles"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Divinity OS 1 is 70% off on Steam right now, is it still a dope game?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

glam rock hamhock posted:

I have no idea who Easy Allies is.

They are the former staff of GT Reviews. Undeniably the only place besides here, with reviews that are worth taking seriously. Easy Allies doesn't do clickbait or sensationalist opinion pieces like all of the major gaming sites do. They are not owned by anyone and rely entirely on Patreon and Youtube views to fund themselves.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Kirby: Easy Allies

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Fair Weather Friends

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I know everyone speaks pretty highly of them but the voiceover always has this very promotional tone that I hate.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I love that amongst all these crazy impressive and complex mobile games, the BAFTA went to a golf game.

Because that's really what playing on a phone is about.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe it’s just the guy’s voice but that review didn’t seem all that informative

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I don't like edited video reviews.

Either give me your take in written form so that the arc of your argument is tangible, or if you're going to use video, just give me a solid, lengthy demonstration of what the game is like. Edited video reviews are the worst of both worlds

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

They are the former staff of GT Reviews. Undeniably the only place besides here, with reviews that are worth taking seriously. Easy Allies doesn't do clickbait or sensationalist opinion pieces like all of the major gaming sites do. They are not owned by anyone and rely entirely on Patreon and Youtube views to fund themselves.

They rate on a 6-10 scale and can get hosed for it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Can't you just subtract 5 from all their scores

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Maybe it’s just the guy’s voice but that review didn’t seem all that informative

I think it's probably down to the guy who wrote it. Michael Huber is a very exuberant guy but he's not a very considered reviewer.

Real hurthling! posted:

They used to use a 5-star scale until really recently and gave out a few 1-star and 2-star reviews. Though usually they're only going to rate a game really lowly if it's an obvious stinker. Like they have Battlefront 2 a 2.5/5, for example.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

who cares

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
personally I think any reviewer that ever gives any game less than 10/10 is just hurting the dev's feelings. They worked hard on their game!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the boss design in streets of rage 1 is some real trash

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I prefer the newer style of review Kotaku does where they'd rather do pros and cons instead of numbers, or Eurogamer which has just normal reviews, but breaks out Recommended or Essential for great stuff they like.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Eurogamer has a pretty great system, yeah. Essential, Recommended, nothing but the text, Avoid.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I don't like edited video reviews.

Either give me your take in written form so that the arc of your argument is tangible, or if you're going to use video, just give me a solid, lengthy demonstration of what the game is like. Edited video reviews are the worst of both worlds

Easy Allies do publish text versions of their reviews, though I haven't read them so I don't know if they're better in text form than video + narration: https://easyallies.com/#!/review/god-of-war-ps4

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Eurogamer's reviews are cool but their Best of 2017 year-end list was absolutely baffling.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Easy Allies/GT is all right by me. Their video reviews have a sort of professional standardization that I dig, definitely helped by the fact that they're all narrated by the same guy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

personally I think any reviewer that ever gives any game less than 10/10 is just hurting the dev's feelings. They worked hard on their game!

It's a miracle any game gets made tbh

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

you guys are my drat reviews

like I'm going to read an essay about a game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I prefer the newer style of review Kotaku does where they'd rather do pros and cons instead of numbers, or Eurogamer which has just normal reviews, but breaks out Recommended or Essential for great stuff they like.

haveblue posted:

Eurogamer has a pretty great system, yeah. Essential, Recommended, nothing but the text, Avoid.

Agreed. I'm not really a fan of numerical or star-based scoring or anything--I don't really like the idea of quantifying how positive of a review it is.

I guess if you wanted to be really obtuse you could say that Eurogamer functionally grades on a 4-point scale or something, but that's not really the case. Something without a recommendation isn't a 2/4 game, and something with an Essential on it isn't a 4/4 game. It's an intentionally feeling-based "grade" that I think gets the point across better than numbers would.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Eurogamer's reviews are cool but their Best of 2017 year-end list was absolutely baffling.

oh yeah I have no idea what the gently caress that was, I was certain they were loving with people.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That God of War review's conclusion does come across as a bit... hyperbolic. I'm sure it's a really good game but "an epic adventure that should be experienced by every human on earth" is a little strong for any video game.

Mordja posted:

Easy Allies/GT is all right by me. Their video reviews have a sort of professional standardization that I dig, definitely helped by the fact that they're all narrated by the same guy.

I like Easy Allies a lot. I'm not sure I really go to them for detailed, critical reviews or anything like that, but I appreciate their impressions and I generally like the presentation, too.

I think what I like is that they're just a bunch of friends who like video games and want to talk about the things they like and don't like, so it's easy for me to just kinda go with the flow. I know I'm not going to get a deep-dive critical review or some sort of hard-hitting commentary from them, but that's not what I want from them anyway.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm angry because i almost beat the sor1 route in the streets of rage remake but the bosses are terrible and having to fight them all at the end extended the game just to that point where i was exhausted and just wanted it to end and now i had to refight a bunch of enemies who's design i loving hated

i literally lost two lives just because the timer didn't reset when the wrestler cheap-shotted me and i only had five seconds to kill him from there

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

the boss design in streets of rage 1 is some real trash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdqJFBcetW0

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

no reason to stress on streets of rage 1 when SoR2 is so perfect. I still love the work M2 put in for the 3DS revamp, can't ever forget my 3DS with that game onboard it. I still wish Sega said gently caress it and worked on a new one but with sprite art

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Im not sure there's any game that's had as many failed attempts to make it as Streets of Rage 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

I think it's probably down to the guy who wrote it. Michael Huber is a very exuberant guy but he's not a very considered reviewer.

They used to use a 5-star scale until really recently and gave out a few 1-star and 2-star reviews. Though usually they're only going to rate a game really lowly if it's an obvious stinker. Like they have Battlefront 2 a 2.5/5, for example.

They gave 2 games 2 stars last time i checked

Andrast posted:

who cares

Dunno

• Locked thread