Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

After The War posted:

The role-playing game of a darkly humorous future. For the most part, I run it with an all-chiptune soundtrack, which gives me an excuse to explore the Commodore demoscene stuff I loved in high school.

And no, no fat bucks. Not even negative fat bucks because the edition I love is out of print. :smith:

Right on, go for it! FWIW there's another track on a very similar theme that's almost done, but not quite. I'll post it before too terribly long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Sweetwater just charged my card for the Neutron, it's coming.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Photex posted:

Sweetwater just charged my card for the Neutron, it's coming.

I don't even see it on their site. poo poo sounds dope though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfD8RmALHwQ

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Oldstench posted:

I don't even see it on their site. poo poo sounds dope though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfD8RmALHwQ

I called up sweetwater two months ago and put a pre-order down, and they generally only charge when they ship or get shipping dates.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Finally got my Model-D. It sounds really nice.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
My first DIY Eurorack thing!

It's a switched multiple. I crammed in 12 jacks which are divided to banks of 7 + 5. The tight spacing prevents me from using patch cables with thicker plugs but for me it's a good tradeoff. I only have like a handful of short Make Noise cables that I can't use here in every jack..

The panel is made out of a cigar box. It looks nice but as a material it's a little too flimsy and it likely won't last forever so I'll switch to acrylic or something once I get more intimate with the local library's laser cutter.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

j.peeba posted:

My first DIY Eurorack thing!

It's a switched multiple. I crammed in 12 jacks which are divided to banks of 7 + 5. The tight spacing prevents me from using patch cables with thicker plugs but for me it's a good tradeoff. I only have like a handful of short Make Noise cables that I can't use here in every jack..

The panel is made out of a cigar box. It looks nice but as a material it's a little too flimsy and it likely won't last forever so I'll switch to acrylic or something once I get more intimate with the local library's laser cutter.

Nice. For your next one, grab some ON-OFF-ON SPDT switches, a 10k resistor, and some diodes and make a 2-output OR circuit for gate combining.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost

Oldstench posted:

Nice. For your next one, grab some ON-OFF-ON SPDT switches, a 10k resistor, and some diodes and make a 2-output OR circuit for gate combining.

That’s a good idea, thanks! Some brave souls (like mylarmelodies) use a switched multiple for mixing gates too but I’d rather not take any chances...

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

j.peeba posted:

That’s a good idea, thanks! Some brave souls (like mylarmelodies) use a switched multiple for mixing gates too but I’d rather not take any chances...

Don't do that - that's dumb. You probably won't damage anything, but still, you are effectively patching outputs to outputs and can gently caress some not-so-well-built modules up doing that.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001

Oldstench posted:

Finally got my Model-D. It sounds really nice.

Yeah, ditto. I'm not a great programmer but a pretty perfect Moog bassline patch just fell out of the thing after a few minutes of messing around.

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head
I'm looking at drum machines right now, and I'm mostly interested in the Roland TR-8 and TR-8S. Now the 8S looks pretty cool, but do you guys think it's worth the extra coin?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
The 8S comes with all the drum packs pre-installed right? That'd tip me over if I wasn't already horizontal from the lack of green.
e- I still hate those x0x buttons though, would it kill them to put the old style ones on there

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Gorewar posted:

I'm looking at drum machines right now, and I'm mostly interested in the Roland TR-8 and TR-8S. Now the 8S looks pretty cool, but do you guys think it's worth the extra coin?

Just the fact that you can load your own samples and that it supports 8 different patterns at once would have me looking at the 8S really hard.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES
I went from a tr-8 to a tr-8s and it was worth every extra dollar. Having 8 separate patterns instead of 2 is incredible not to mention everything else it can do

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
If you want a TR8 get it secondhand because they’re ridiculously cheap, but yeah, the 8S improved pretty much every single thing that was lacking on the 8, so get that.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

I just checked with my Sweetwater guy about my Model D and apparently it's looking like late May before mine ships now :negative:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

skull mask mcgee posted:

I just checked with my Sweetwater guy about my Model D and apparently it's looking like late May before mine ships now :negative:

i played my ody safternoon :twisted:
arp 1 moog 0

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

This beautiful bastard gently caress
I'm supposed to believe this not Wolfgang Palm fucker one man army'd this thing? Yes I believe, magic is real and this will totes make it into production.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Startyde posted:

I'm supposed to believe this not Wolfgang Palm fucker one man army'd this thing? Yes I believe, magic is real and this will totes make it into production.

That sounds so nice and lush. If I were in the market for that kind of sound this would be my first choice.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Lol. Rabid Elephant made a new batch of Natural Gate modules that sold out in 1 minute. Queue the wailing and gnashing of teeth from Muffs.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Well they make novel designs with interesting interfaces and a gorgeous aesthetic.
But only like ten maybe twenty at a time lol

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Startyde posted:

I didn't watch the entire video to find if they did a biography, but the guy has the look of a programmer greybeard; I could see this guy writing FPGA code for decades in the trenches and deciding to start this out as a hobby.

And holy hell, I just fell down the rabbit hole of Native Instruments soft synths and enjoying it, but man does that have sounds I like.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Yeah I’ve watched a couple of these vids and the frumpled face he makes sometimes answering a question like ‘of course it has this’ as if the other person knew what he knew. Very good. I want one mans ego trip.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Oldstench posted:

Lol. Rabid Elephant made a new batch of Natural Gate modules that sold out in 1 minute. Queue the wailing and gnashing of teeth from Muffs.

yeah i want the lpg that brags about having no vactrols insde :sad:

im sure its a decent module but none of the demos made me think its worth the HP of my optomix *&* lxd :cmon:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

im sure its a decent module but none of the demos made me think its worth the HP of my optomix *&* lxd :cmon:

Well, vactrols aren't a requirement. Just a tradition.

Just for fun here's a demo of the same sequence run through something that isn't technically a LPG but can be patched to behave that way that contains no vactrols, and an extremely vactrol-full LPG. Which is which?

https://soundcloud.com/demostench/lpg

Oldstench fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 14, 2018

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

I've found Vactrols to be overrated, or at least very inconsistent. My RxMx's strike input is incredibly short in duration, making it have almost zero "ring" on it so I'm left using an ADSR envelope on the output volume anyway. And the latency on both vactrol-based modules I have make them unsuited for anything fast. YMMV but mine have enough issues where I could see the attraction of a snappy low pass gate I can control nicely, even if I'm not getting one.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

the vactrol in the echophon is A+ and makes it sound like nothing else when modulated

the natural gate just gets on my nerves lol, elephants dont use lpgs :milk:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
the natural gate is really loving good. it's the only LPG i've really gotten along with, and is a lot more flexible than your typical vactrol based LPG (lots of control over the response and such). maybe the optomix i got just had lovely vactrols, but i found that it didn't really have a huge amount of variability; i typically wanted more decay than the DAMP control could give me.

it's definitely been a bit overhyped, but IMO it's not entirely unwarranted.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
I guess this fits in the synth thread:

My google-fu has failed me on this one. Does anyone make a drum pad kit similar to the Alesis Samplepad or CompactKit that ONLY has midi out? Like, literally just 8 or so large-ish drum pads with a USB midi out. I'll be using it with a sampler in a DAW, so I don't need all the sequencer and LED screen bullshit. I found a bunch of cheapo ones on Amazon that look like toys, but pretty much none of them seem to have MIDI out. I've been considering making my own with force-sensitive resistors, but I'd rather just buy one.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

My google-fu has failed me on this one. Does anyone make a drum pad kit similar to the Alesis Samplepad or CompactKit that ONLY has midi out? Like, literally just 8 or so large-ish drum pads with a USB midi out. I'll be using it with a sampler in a DAW, so I don't need all the sequencer and LED screen bullshit. I found a bunch of cheapo ones on Amazon that look like toys, but pretty much none of them seem to have MIDI out. I've been considering making my own with force-sensitive resistors, but I'd rather just buy one.

This only has 4 pads but you can always get 2.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

Akai mpd218 works great for me as a sampler / drumkit controller over usb midi.

e: akai lpd8 seems to be the smaller version with only 8 pads

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Apr 15, 2018

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

skull mask mcgee posted:

This only has 4 pads but you can always get 2.

This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. I realized that the Alesis CompactKit 7 is a pretty decent choice too. Thanks!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Akai mpd218 works great for me as a sampler / drumkit controller over usb midi.

e: akai lpd8 seems to be the smaller version with only 8 pads

Thanks for the rec, but I was actually looking for something that I could use drumsticks with (probably should have mentioned that). I have 16 pads on my midi controller, but I prefer using sticks when recording.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/modular-mania-all-things-eurorack-and-modular-synths-effects/1211389-behringer-eurorack-modular.html

i would be pretty psyched if they actually made these things, but i'm not holding my breath.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

that valkyrie really is a TI3

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

While everyone’s remaking poo poo I’ll take an EPS16 with no UI changes but flash storage tia

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

magiccarpet posted:

that valkyrie really is a TI3

yup. this might be my "i just started a new job" reward

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

Jerry Seinfeld posted:

Thanks for the rec, but I was actually looking for something that I could use drumsticks with (probably should have mentioned that). I have 16 pads on my midi controller, but I prefer using sticks when recording.

Also take a look at the Keith McMillen BopPad:

https://www.keithmcmillen.com/products/boppad/

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

The Roland clones + turnkey factory offer are a huuuuge gently caress you to Malekko/Darkplace.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Any recommendations for an analog polysynth with a great resonance filter, useful for creating interesting harmonics? I've been into experimenting with sounds like this lately and was thinking for my next purchase leaning into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey y'all, if any of you are interested in doing found sound stuff I just started an ML contest for that sort of thing here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3854711