Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
It literally is if the kids die then the land goes back to Brian son of Brian. He's the direct heir to all the land lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Just take more land??? What is the problem here

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Just take more land??? What is the problem here

In my defense, it's early in a Mumu game and I'm always skittish about pushing out into England. More land is tricky at this point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Standard procedure in that era for if you don't have much land and want more is to kill your neighbors and take their land. If those neighbors are your own brothers and you have legal right to their land, that just streamlines the process.

A looooot of historical leaders killed their siblings back in the day.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

lurksion posted:

It would make more sense for one of the barons to take it I think. Any paradox people still read this?

I think the peasant thing is because you've probably installed barons of your own culture and religion. If the province is of a different culture and religion then it makes sense that a mere baron would have a lot of trouble preventing a peasant uprising from immediately deposing him anyway.

It doesn't really make sense for this isolated county to remain Scottish and Catholic and eventually convert the entire populace to Scottish Catholics when all their neighbours are Greek Orthodox.

If you own an isolated county like that you'd still have the option to grant it to someone else before you die. Give it to one of your younger sons, and as long as the only territory he owns is in the enclave he shouldn't lose it automatically. He'll probably still lose it to a peasant revolt or greedy neighbour eventually unless he swears fealty to a local power, but it won't be lost automatically.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

How is this going to work for a crusade or Jihad target?

Say the King of England wins a crusade for Jerusalem and parcels the land up. When he dies, does all of it become independent counties or duchies at most?

"Realistically" speaking what'd happen is that all those counties would end up under a King of Jerusalem, but if the King of England still has that title would it transfer over?

The obvious and historical outcome was that the Kingdom would go to one of the crusaders, who'd have abandoned their titles back home. And for the player, of you win a crusade for somewhere random immediately give the title to a family member and ensure that all their vassals are inside that title. Will the AI know to do that?

Also suppose the Crusade is won by a vassal of an emperor. When the Emperor dies, does that mean the new King will lose all his new titles if he doesn't give away and grant independence to any titles he has in the metropole? Or if not, does the new King of Jerusalem move his capital to Jerusalem and then when the Emperor dies they're will be an enclave of Jerusalem in the metropole until the King dies?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well considering England and Jerusalem has ports nothing would happen.

As it seems to only effect landlocked non continuous provinces.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MinistryofLard posted:

Say the King of England wins a crusade for Jerusalem and parcels the land up. When he dies, does all of it become independent counties or duchies at most?

"Realistically" speaking what'd happen is that all those counties would end up under a King of Jerusalem, but if the King of England still has that title would it transfer over?

The obvious and historical outcome was that the Kingdom would go to one of the crusaders, who'd have abandoned their titles back home. And for the player, of you win a crusade for somewhere random immediately give the title to a family member and ensure that all their vassals are inside that title. Will the AI know to do that?

Also suppose the Crusade is won by a vassal of an emperor. When the Emperor dies, does that mean the new King will lose all his new titles if he doesn't give away and grant independence to any titles he has in the metropole? Or if not, does the new King of Jerusalem move his capital to Jerusalem and then when the Emperor dies they're will be an enclave of Jerusalem in the metropole until the King dies?

They should just do the CK2+ thing with Crusades/Jihads and have them create new independent kingdoms most of the time that get slapped with a global truce modifier for 20 years or so.

Better yet they should overhaul the entire loving Crusades mechanic to be more interesting, better and more representative of how they actually went down.

I would also like Jihads to be fundamentally different from Crusades, rather than just a pallette swap. If you look at Saladin, Zengi and Nur-ad Din which is really the only time in the Middle Ages that a Jihad is proclaimed that I can think of that isn't just Turkish ghazi warriors raiding and burning stuff in Byzantium or India, then a Jihad should probably be closer to a Norse prepared invasion. Called by an independent ruler with plenty of piety (rather than prestige) it targets an infidel kingdom level title that holds Muslim holy sites, then you get the same sequence of events where you have to launch the Jihad by declaring war using the CB in X number of years, however while you wait you get event troops (religious volunteers, ghazi warriors) that bolster your armies.

Maybe as a bonus and to set it apart a bit from the Norse prepared invasion you also get a special "Unite" CB against Muslim rulers neighboring the Jihad target that you can use to subjugate them (which is basically what Saladin spent most of his time on), this would not count as launching the Jihad though, but you could use the event troops for this. Fail to launch the Jihad and bad stuff happens.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 10, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MinistryofLard posted:

I don't think we know yet.

When I accidentally win a crusade I've usually settled some relatives there and made it independent anyway, because it is irksome to deal with. Like when you raise your levies and there's a few guys way over there and it's just too much hassle to ship them over to where you are actually fighting. So every time I raise the levies I have to go around to the exclaves and tell them to stand down their dudes, so I don't build up opinion mauluses for keeping up levies too long that I'm not even using.

As long as the guys you set to be land holders in Jeruselem don't hold land anywhere else it should be fine. It's only land that effectively has an absentee landlord that seems to be at risk here.

On the other side, when one of the counties in your country gets inherited by some idiot on the other side of the map, you just have to wait for that guy to die and it should flip to independent and then be easy to deal with. You don't have to fight the HRE over a single county in Scotland.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I wonder if this would also apply to baronies that are ruled by other countries within a county you control. I'm not even sure how that happens but it's super annoying when it does.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

WrightOfWay posted:

I wonder if this would also apply to baronies that are ruled by other countries within a county you control. I'm not even sure how that happens but it's super annoying when it does.

I think the devs said it would, unless it's holy orders. If you filter to only dev posts, you they go into a bit more detail about how it works.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I love this game, but boy am I terrible at it. My newbie "let's become King of Ireland" game has taken a very strange turn.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Popular Human posted:

I love this game, but boy am I terrible at it. My newbie "let's become King of Ireland" game has taken a very strange turn.

Not paying your mercenaries is a bad idea.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

This is brilliant. Even more so if you can handle ugly borders or like to paint the map you can turn it off, like shattered retreats and coalitions.

Popular Human posted:

I wish this happened to the AI more often. That and holy orders taking lands themselves.

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
Coming from EU4 and still very new with CK2, but what is the best or easiest way to maintain a blob? I have a Han 867 game where I am working my way down the silk road with two kingdom titles, most of the land for them, and primo succession. I have mostly same culture vassals with a few content Jewish vassals for switching out of Tao later for holy wars. I was able to claim two duchies back to back and all those conquered vassals ended up revolting not too long after that which snowballed into more hatred from other vassals. I guess this is fine as I should still have kingdom claims on the land, but not sure how best to keep stable early on as I grow. Seems like other vassals still hate me when I imprison or castrate the conspiring vassals for the emperor. I have enough claims to go for a few years that I have also switched into improving relations with the chancellor.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
try giving out some honorary titles, and if you have any count-level titles in people's duchies/duchies in people's kingdoms hand them around so you don't have any titles that non-ambitious vassals are directly gunning for

you catch more flies with honey than by smashing their testicles

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Out in the west you generally want to make sure to keep all your vassals the same religion as yourself as way as the same culture, but the east is more confusing on that point.

Really what you need is some vassals who love you to grant dukedoms and other big titles to help keep the others in line. If there's a big contention who really hate you and are planning a revolt, then one of your biggest strategies is to just...let the revolt happen, provoke it, even, and then after it's won, you can do what you want with the defeated vassals. You don't get opinion maluses from revoking/executing/whatever traitors, so you're gold then. You can also do that on a smaller scale when you catch your vassals plotting a murder or whatever. You should get a popup on what vassals you're allowed to arrest no strings attached because they've been caught breaking the law.

On the longer term, you can set your laws to enable revocation of titles, enable religious revocation of titles (which lets you revoke titles of people who aren't your religion without others getting angry) and grant abilities to the council so they're not allowed to plot against you, as well as increasing your vassal limit. The ultimate is getting viceroyalties for duchy-level titles, which makes your vassals love you for granting them titles as well as making it easier to keep everybody in line at the cost of unending micromanagement.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Out in the west you generally want to make sure to keep all your vassals the same religion as yourself as way as the same culture, but the east is more confusing on that point.

Really what you need is some vassals who love you to grant dukedoms and other big titles to help keep the others in line. If there's a big contention who really hate you and are planning a revolt, then one of your biggest strategies is to just...let the revolt happen, provoke it, even, and then after it's won, you can do what you want with the defeated vassals. You don't get opinion maluses from revoking/executing/whatever traitors, so you're gold then. You can also do that on a smaller scale when you catch your vassals plotting a murder or whatever. You should get a popup on what vassals you're allowed to arrest no strings attached because they've been caught breaking the law.

On the longer term, you can set your laws to enable revocation of titles, enable religious revocation of titles (which lets you revoke titles of people who aren't your religion without others getting angry) and grant abilities to the council so they're not allowed to plot against you, as well as increasing your vassal limit. The ultimate is getting viceroyalties for duchy-level titles, which makes your vassals love you for granting them titles as well as making it easier to keep everybody in line at the cost of unending micromanagement.

TLDR: You’ll want to go around smashing testicles but only on your own terms.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
If I really want to take a neighboring province (with no claimants) and I don't have de jure claim, are my only options heir marriage or claim fabrication? My Irish conquest game has stalled out after taking half the island.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Gorman Thomas posted:

If I really want to take a neighboring province (with no claimants) and I don't have de jure claim, are my only options heir marriage or claim fabrication? My Irish conquest game has stalled out after taking half the island.

If you have Jade Dragon, there's a Border Conflict CB that you can use to grab a single province at the cost of prestige, and piety (I think). Otherwise, marriage and fabrication are your only answer.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well considering England and Jerusalem has ports nothing would happen.

As it seems to only effect landlocked non continuous provinces.
it's more granular than that: there are settings that allow it to trigger based on naval distance as well

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Gorman Thomas posted:

You say no claimants, but is that just no claimants in your realm? I'm not sure how new you are so you might already know this, but there's a way to check for all claimants to a title, and then you can invite them to your realm, give them a barony, then press their claim.

That's my preferred way to conquer. Although, I usually end up needing to fabricate a bunch anyways.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
I think I'm just checking in my realm since I'm navigating to the claimants tab through the leader screen. I'll try again tonight using the character search.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
The trick is to click on the county (this works for duchies too when you get bigger), click the little shield icon, then click the "claimants" button on the new window that shows up detailing what's in the county/duchy

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
I didn't realize I had to grant them a barony first before I pressed a claim. Ask me about putting a way better ruler in power in Soreyar than the one I had previously.

I took her into my court, married her into my dynasty and then pressed her claim, so once I won the war she was the new queen. Then she had a kid, died (via manure explosion which took FOREVER because of how high the new queen's intrigue was) and so a little squirt was sitting on the throne of my dynasty. However, I did not realize he still wouldn't swear fealty to me and the kingdom was in danger of going into Scottish hands (Both via the next heir and a claimant war) so I burned a thousand prestige forcing vassalization.

Murchad II was not remembered as a smart leader. :downs:

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I think we've all made that mistake at least once. Giving them any vassal title beforehand will get around it, so long as the title you're pressing them for is lower than your own title. I often build a bunch of baronies just so I have something to give away to claimants I've invited to my court, but that's probably not optimal play either.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Or having the kid of your dynasty inherit so long as it is a lower level title. If you press a claim for a title equal to yours then they won't be your vassal.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

AtomikKrab posted:

Or having the kid of your dynasty inherit so long as it is a lower level title. If you press a claim for a title equal to yours then they won't be your vassal.

Yup, found that out the hard way. :negative:

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Xinder posted:

I think we've all made that mistake at least once. Giving them any vassal title beforehand will get around it, so long as the title you're pressing them for is lower than your own title. I often build a bunch of baronies just so I have something to give away to claimants I've invited to my court, but that's probably not optimal play either.

I think it probably is, at least if you're a christian.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What the gently caress.

While trying to get enough to form the Empire of Scandinavia I captured a few counties with a different culture and religion. I set some kinsmen up as 1 county counts so they could help speed up the conversion. One county had a temple, so before I handed it over I installed a guy with 23 learning in the temple so the AI wouldn't generate some incompetent boob for the job.

I check back a while later and the temple holder has been made spymaster. He has Intrigue of 3. 3! Meanwhile the count's wife is doing a lovely job as Seer, because she has Learning of 5. She has Intrigue of 6 too, so she would have been much better as spymaster than the temple guy.

Now I hate everyone involved.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
It would be great if you could figure out why, like does that count have a favor with the temple Baron? Did his annoying wife decide she would be WAY better as the seer? Sometimes it's just the game being hilarious, but it's hard to know.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

It would be great if you could figure out why, like does that count have a favor with the temple Baron? Did his annoying wife decide she would be WAY better as the seer? Sometimes it's just the game being hilarious, but it's hard to know.

Could be one of those events where you fall down and have the option of calling for help (and owing someone a favor) or toughing it out (and possibly getting wounded/dead), or the one where one of your commanders offers to teach your other commanders a skill or style in return for being on the council or whatever. I just assume that everything that happens to me can happen to everyone else as well

mobius42
Dec 19, 2006
Thanks all for the tips. Turning on the righteous imprisonment pop-up is great. A few more duchies in U-Tsang until I can create Jewish Tibet. Holy War CB has been fun so far with low potential for others being called in the defense. Now I just need to get better at handing out this territory.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Well, my Anglo-Saxon England run ended up with most of Europe and some of Persia ruled by a member of the house of Godwin or one of their cadet branches. It was also the game where I learned that you should rarely give in to your factions' demands. Might post a screenshot later

Edit: From what I remember, the Danes own most the rest. Which is fitting, I suppose.

guns for tits fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Apr 12, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Ended up restarting my Ireland game because of how badly I screwed up. Murchad died almost immediately due to the accident event (I risked the 10 percent death rate because Brian was young and I didn't want to give no one a favor) and Brian got an infected wound from battle AND came down with consumption with no heir right before forming the kingdom.

Fortunately he not only managed to survive, but he got his wife pregnant while consumptive and had a boy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I haven't played CK2 since like 2013, and holy poo poo is this game awesome now.

Still having trouble on noobie island though, I'm also playing as Murchad and trying to fabricate some claims. Who are some good marriage targets in 1066 to look at for a long term dynasty?

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Gyshall posted:

Who are some good marriage targets in 1066 to look at for a long term dynasty?

This can be a very situational question as it obviously varies on how your game pans out. If possible someone with French connections would probably be your best bet early on, then whoever is King of England after the invasions of 1066, this is to protect you from England and give you some help with the rest of Ireland if you need it once you’ve formed an alliance. You could go for Scotland but they tend to be the next target after forming Ireland so bear that in mind.

Otherwise just type “genius/strong/quick/attractive” at the top of the search bar to filter the best targets for a wife and hope for the best.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man I am actually enjoying myself playing this despite basically having no idea what to do most of the time. I ended last night after getting hosed over by my Kinsman who revolted as I was leading my army into northern Ireland to take over some area I had a claim on. I was spread too thin and ended up having to surrender to the guy which cut my counties (?) in half. I think my biggest obstacle at this point is terminology - knowing what everything is called and what the difference is between lords and vassals and earls. Also not knowing what I'm supposed to be doing in my "downtime" between wars that isn't finding people to marry.

zebez
Apr 27, 2008

explosivo posted:

Man I am actually enjoying myself playing this despite basically having no idea what to do most of the time. I ended last night after getting hosed over by my Kinsman who revolted as I was leading my army into northern Ireland to take over some area I had a claim on. I was spread too thin and ended up having to surrender to the guy which cut my counties (?) in half. I think my biggest obstacle at this point is terminology - knowing what everything is called and what the difference is between lords and vassals and earls. Also not knowing what I'm supposed to be doing in my "downtime" between wars that isn't finding people to marry.

This is pretty much how I started to play this game several years ago, knowing nothing. But I learned as I went. And the most important thing I learnt was that losing is fun :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I've found this thread (and earlier permutations of it) to be incredibly helpful during my time with the game. Plus the stories are :allears:

• Locked thread