Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

absolutely anything posted:

pirating owns. stealing poo poo owns

stealing this quote, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The Lobster posted:

E: I also believe the "unfrick Skyward Sword" patch is free and goes away forever in January. Does downloading a PATCH after that count as piracy? I'm sure someone in the thread will yell that it is.

Am I remembering wrong or was this installed by default on Wii U's vWii partitions officially? Also they fixed the bug in later pressings of the game. All that "patch" is, is a utility that fixes a save game that is created after doing that late game stuff in an order that breaks your ability to progress, I suspect it would be possible to do this on a PC if really needed, no PIRACY required.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Lobster posted:

But you can still download demos I guess and the all important Wii to Wii U transfer tool, that goes away in January. I can't imagine anyone here wants to transfer their Wiis to a Wii U but if you have a friend or something that doesn't know, now would be the time to get them on it.

E: I also believe the "unfrick Skyward Sword" patch is free and goes away forever in January. Does downloading a PATCH after that count as piracy? I'm sure someone in the thread will yell that it is.

I've been exploring the vast world of romhacking lately and am impressed with the dedication people go to hack old games and fix glitches. I'm hopeful that there will be some kind of community dedicated to hacking/fixing Wii games too someday. If there already isn't one.
(I've been mostly tooling around with GB/GBA/SNES games. Also, buy a refurbished 2DS from Nintendo and homebrew that. VC injection is incredible.)

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There are plenty of Wii game hacks already, like New Super Mario Bros. Wii with new levels and stuff like that. The main major bug in Skyward Sword is completely fixed if you have a later pressing of the game (version 1.2), too.

420 SWAGLORD
Apr 20, 2014

saban bajramovic

Crackbone posted:

If you bought the titles you can still download them via wiishop is the point.

Don’t try to justify your piracy, nobody cares and it’s bannable.

Look at this shameful post. Just look at it. For shame. Too bad being incredibly bitchmade isn't bannable. The goddamn Internet Archive hosts NLA roms at this point, the wii is 3 generations old, you are terminally retarded

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dialing 1-800-388-PIR8 on this whole thread, myself included.

To actually put something productive here, the software I used to correct my Wii softmod was ModMii, specifically the "sysCheck Updater" function. Basically if your Wii hack is misbehaving but you at least have the Homebrew Channel and can run apps in it, this will get you up to date.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I've been exploring the vast world of romhacking lately and am impressed with the dedication people go to hack old games and fix glitches. I'm hopeful that there will be some kind of community dedicated to hacking/fixing Wii games too someday. If there already isn't one.
(I've been mostly tooling around with GB/GBA/SNES games. Also, buy a refurbished 2DS from Nintendo and homebrew that. VC injection is incredible.)

There’s a few more later systems now. I was happy to recently find hacks for the Castlevania DS games that remove the annoying drawing touch screen stuff. I also played through the Zelda DS games with button controls hacked in and that owned.

Also there’s so many amazing fan translations for gems that never came out in English. Romhacking.net is the best.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 12, 2018

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Do copy that floppy

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

I also played through the Zelda DS games with button controls hacked in and that owned.

I had no idea that was a thing :eyepop:

https://github.com/StraDaMa/Legend-of-Zelda-Phantom-Hourglass-D-Pad-Patch
https://github.com/StraDaMa/Legend-of-Zelda-Spirit-Tracks-D-Pad-Patch

what a time to be alive

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nice

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

I don’t think ill ever play these games again but I wonder if they will work on 3DS? The control stick would probably be better than the d pad

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

African AIDS cum posted:

I don’t think ill ever play these games again but I wonder if they will work on 3DS? The control stick would probably be better than the d pad

If you have a DS flashcart that works on 3DS it will definitely work, and the control stick works as a dpad replacement but it still only works like a digital input

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Like Super Mario 64 DS feels better on a 3DS because you can use the control stick but you can only move in 8 directions and still have to hold the Y button to run.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Button controls would actually make the DS Zeldas playable.

I downloaded a bunch of Gameboy roms when I discovered the Retroarch on the SNES Classic. One of the included roms was a pretty hilarious Link's Awakening rom hack called "Link Gets Laid." It was pretty funny until it got really racist.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

African AIDS cum posted:

That’s how I played it with a DS flash cart. It recognizes the stick as just a dpad with four directions but it does feel better for that game with that hack.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Alternatively, do what I do and pretend Spirit Tracks doesn't exist.

Castlevania without the seals or ice breaking would be rad, though.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I would have never played a ton of GameCube games without ROMs, because they completely hosed up the x axis on camera controls. At least I can use a code to unfuck it. Mad props to RalF (whoever that is) for making awesome usability codes for GameCube games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Foehammer posted:

Alternatively, do what I do and pretend Spirit Tracks doesn't exist.

Castlevania without the seals or ice breaking would be rad, though.

Still better than PH imo. That game has zero going for it except for Linebeck.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Still better than PH imo. That game has zero going for it except for Linebeck.

And the dope sailing music. At least it eventually gives you ways to deal with the Phantoms, unlike those bullshit cursed trains.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Spirit Tracks was emblematic of where the Zelda franchise was going at the time. Taking a series built on linearity and putting it on metaphorical and literal rails.

It had a lot of charm and personality though. I did like it, despite the touch controls.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

This is a good thread.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Lord Frisk posted:

I would have never played a ton of GameCube games without ROMs, because they completely hosed up the x axis on camera controls. At least I can use a code to unfuck it. Mad props to RalF (whoever that is) for making awesome usability codes for GameCube games.

I had a really tough time playing Beyond Good and Evil HD because you can only reverse X and Y at the same time and they didn’t change it for the remaster

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Found a 1.0.0 Switch instore yesterday, now to wait for that sweet sweet cfw

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Detective No. 27 posted:

It was pretty funny until it got really racist.

old_romhacks.txt

probably also just romhacks.txt

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Somebody may be able to assist me, but I am not sure.

I am using the homebrew channel on my WiiU (fresh haxchi all done two nights ago - felt quite proud of not messing that up) and I have grabbed emulators from the homebrew appstore for Snex9x2010, FCEumm and Genesis Plus GX.

Both the SNES emulator and the NES emulator work perfectly without a hitch! Anything I try to load for Genesis Plus, however, causes the WiiU to crash with the system memory error and I have to hard reset.

Has anyone run into this issue before? What might be causing such a strange thing?

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Look into using Retroarch

https://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-wiiu-wip.447670/

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nonviolent J posted:

Found a 1.0.0 Switch instore yesterday, now to wait for that sweet sweet cfw

Haha how the hell is that possible?

And is there some way to tell by looking at the box?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

There's an effort to try to deduce Switch firmware by serial number.

I suspect countries where the Switch is less popular are more likely to have older models sittin' around.

(Also waiting on that sweet, sweet CFW.)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It would have to literally be a launch console. I bought a second Switch from Toys R Us like four months after the system came out and it was on 2.3

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stock has to pass through enough people and locations that it's really easy for one of those steps to be done slightly wrong, like a bunch get mis-shelved in the warehouse and found again later, stuff like that.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Haha how the hell is that possible?

And is there some way to tell by looking at the box?

Yeah the serial let's you know the range of when it was made, I could see the one at the very front of the display case and i guess they fill them from the back so the front one never changed

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Nonviolent J posted:

Yeah the serial let's you know the range of when it was made, I could see the one at the very front of the display case and i guess they fill them from the back so the front one never changed

I considered getting a 1.0 switch because apparently it's the only one that will ever get custom firmware but I figured they are such a rarity that hackers aren't going to concentrate on it due to the userbase being so small. There's a lot of people on 3.0 or lower, though.

Honestly you should consider putting it on ebay. I wouldn't be surprised if you could get $450 for it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

We'll have custom firmwares on all < 5.0 models at around the same time, with 1.0 maybe being a little sooner than the rest, and probably all of the >= 5.0 models eventually though there may be some hardware fiddling involved.

At least until the Mariko revisions drop. Which is probably why the Mariko revisions will drop.

http://www.ktemkin.com/faq-fusee-gelee/ is a pretty good state-of-affairs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Got a weird question, don't know where else to ask it.

My Wii is soft modded, homebrew channel installed and all that. Recently I found my Mario Kart Wii disc, and have been playing that quite a bit. Not an image loaded in from a USB drive, but the actual, legit copy of it. I'd love to make a backup sometime, just to remove the load times. Anyway...

And now, almost randomly, my save data is erased, but not completely. It's like it was reset to how it was a couple weeks ago. I mean, my Mii is still the same as it always was (and last night, I even changed the Mii associated with it, but it went right back) and my unlockables are gone, records, almost everything (except for the license itself).

Dudes, what the gently caress? Before you ask, I just went in to the system and erased the Mario Kart Wii save data, and recreated my license. We'll see how it goes now. Anyone else experience this?

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I decided to update because I wanted my FE Warriors DLC. And then I decided, screw it, I'm willing to learn about how to do the hardware version because I just want to be able to continue to use the eShop in the meanwhile.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Got a weird question, don't know where else to ask it.

My Wii is soft modded, homebrew channel installed and all that. Recently I found my Mario Kart Wii disc, and have been playing that quite a bit. Not an image loaded in from a USB drive, but the actual, legit copy of it. I'd love to make a backup sometime, just to remove the load times. Anyway...

And now, almost randomly, my save data is erased, but not completely. It's like it was reset to how it was a couple weeks ago. I mean, my Mii is still the same as it always was (and last night, I even changed the Mii associated with it, but it went right back) and my unlockables are gone, records, almost everything (except for the license itself).

Dudes, what the gently caress? Before you ask, I just went in to the system and erased the Mario Kart Wii save data, and recreated my license. We'll see how it goes now. Anyone else experience this?

Are you saying you used to play it from USB Loader but are now playing it from disc?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Are you saying you used to play it from USB Loader but are now playing it from disc?

No, sorry, I worded it confusingly, here's the rundown with more info:

Wii was softmodded years ago, but I owned and had of course played MKW previous to that. Back in January, I found the Wii again, loaded up emulators, updated the homebrew browser, put a bunch of ROMS on an SD card. At one point, when copying old channels from the card to the system memory (like Tetris Wiiware, and Mega Man 9), I got an error message. Whatever caused it fixed itself about an hour later, because it was fine and generally has been fine since.

About two weeks ago, while unpacking after a move, I find my copy of MKW. I notice it still has my old data on there, but nothing's unlocked. So I start to unlock stuff, slowly but surely. One time last week, I notice one day that everything I've unlocked was gone... But the profile with the Mii was still there. The records for the cups and tracks were gone, too. It happened again a couple days later, so I went, from in the game, and deleted the license, thinking maybe there was a bug. Started it up again, even with a different Mii character as the one for that same license slot, and today, after unlocking two cups last night, everything is back to how it was before; original Mii still on the license, nothing unlocked.

It feels like the license or save data was somehow reverting to the status of how it was prior to when the console was modded, years ago, but even then, I swear I had unlocked everything before.

Could the shutdown of the online portion be causing it to act up? Again, just today, I went into the system menu and flat out erased all of the save data for the game (so, not just clearing the specific license, like I did before) and haven't had the chance to unlock anything so far, so maybe it's been fixed.

Or maybe my Wii's system storage is somehow hosed.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Try downloading and importing a save file. If it rewrites that then something funky is going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
1.0.0 woes, all I can play is Golf