Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

double nine posted:

I'm glad Kerry is finally getting some lines that aren't generic "let's fight" ones, also David stop playing with fire and keep Farouk outside your drat mind you smart idiot.

I still have no idea what to make of Kerry.

She seems to have no special abilities whatsoever in combat yet everyone continues to act like she's a super commando.

"Guns, my one weakness!"
"More than one of you, my one weakness!"
"Clubs and shields, my one weakness!"
"A really big mean dude, my one weakness!"

I mean I kind of love that, that the overconfident badass is just "average 20 something girl with some karate lessons," but I'm not sure it's intentional.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Apr 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dan the Automator for Farouk.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Blazing Ownager posted:

She seems to have no special abilities whatsoever in combat yet everyone continues to act like she's a super commando.

"Guns, my one weakness!"

I mean I kind of love that, that the overconfident badass is just "average 20 something girl with some karate lessons," but I'm not sure it's intentional.

like you say, they play her up as some super powered fighting machine but in the first season she seems like she can barely handle low level security goons. cgi-up that poo poo, let her shoryuken someone.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gorilla Salad posted:

Navid Negahban loving nailed that scene.

Classy, French and menacing is such a great combination.

I've been looking for his glasses for 3 hours....

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Wafflecopper posted:

Isn't Farouk Moroccan? They do speak French there but also Arabic and Italian. He spoke a bunch of languages in that scene, not just French and English

That makes sense. My ancient high school level French made me assume everything I didn't understand was just advanced French. Even the bits that didn't really sound French at all :doh:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

the guy playing Cary is nearly 70 years old. maybe I'm not a good judge but I would never have guessed that.

I've seen Bill Irwin perform mime/vaudeville on stage, and he may not look like it, but he's insanely fit and flexible for a guy his age.

Oh, and I loved the "You're bringing a katana? gently caress it, I'm a tank" scene in Farouk and David's mental combat.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

note that david had no response to Farouk changing into a hurricane - the tank just fired into the smoke uselessly and Farouk was in control of the entire encounter.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's like a game of rock paper scissors where you keep introducing ridiculous trump-cards. David just suffers a lack of imagination

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

David is unquestionably more powerful, but the Shadow King is more experienced.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The correct counter to a hurricane is an NCAA commissioner.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'm not sure if Lenny is actual Lenny's consciousness, or a just a facsimile created by Farouk to manipulate David that's somehow separate from Farouk. But like Oliver said, it doesn't really matter.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

glitchwraith posted:

I'm not sure if Lenny is actual Lenny's consciousness, or a just a facsimile created by Farouk to manipulate David that's somehow separate from Farouk. But like Oliver said, it doesn't really matter.

From their conversation I assume it is really her consciousness.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

glitchwraith posted:

From the exchange between Lenny and Farouk, I think it's actually what's left of the lady from the asylum who got merged with the wall. Farouk just keeps her consciousness rambling around inside him for kicks, and pulls out her image and mannerisms whenever it suits him.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Selachian posted:

I've seen Bill Irwin perform mime/vaudeville on stage, and he may not look like it, but he's insanely fit and flexible for a guy his age.

I was just reading about Bill's clown training and now I really want to see him on Baskets.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Amazing scene with Farouk.

I also guessed Proteus might be the future big bad but the way Future Syd talked really reinforced that David is the more likely choice, her line about how "different" David was seemed like a big hint.

I wish we got a bit more interaction with Oliver; I feel like he's the weakest link in the characters right now.

Also these John Hamm voiceovers are so good, I really want him as Mr.Sinister on this show.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Ersatz posted:

From the exchange between Lenny and Farouk, I think it's actually what's left of the lady from the asylum who got merged with the wall. Farouk just keeps her consciousness rambling around inside him for kicks, and pulls out her image and mannerisms whenever it suits him.

I mean, it's obvious that whatever Lenny is, she's now a separate entity from Farouk. I'm just not sure I buy that he can entrap people's consciousness without inhabiting their mind.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 12, 2018

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Blazing Ownager posted:

"Guns, my one weakness!"

I will never link to TV Tropes or use their godawful terms but this is a pretty common issue with ongoing fiction; you show how powerful a threat is by having them easily defeat your best fighter, only it happens so often that the person who is supposed to be your super badass is constantly being clowned on or taken out of commission so they lose their effectiveness.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

See: Worf.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

glitchwraith posted:

I mean, it's obvious that whatever Lenny is, she's now a separate entity from Farouk. I'm just not sure I buy that he can entrap people's consciousness without inhabiting their mind.

That's kind of problematic given the dance-off in the season premiere. Assuming that it is supposed to be an analogy for PSYCHIC POWER WARFARE, how does Lenny take part? Unless they pull a really lame retcon she doesn't have psychic powers and isn't a mutant. Oliver is essentially mind-controlled into combat vs David but Lenny is either purely Lenny, which makes no sense given s02e01, purely an avatar of the Shadow King which makes no sense in the context of s02e02, or is somehow both depending on need which doesn't make a lot of sense either but it gives us more Aubrey Plaza screen time so whatever.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

regulargonzalez posted:

it gives us more Aubrey Plaza screen time so whatever.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I don't see what's confusing or difficult about "both" given that Shadow King is also a samurai, a whirlwind, a creepy children's book come to life, and an enormously obese demonic figure.

Also David has a line of dialogue while he's arguing with Clark where he explains that Shadow King wears different people's psychic impressions in order to conceal himself from detection or pursuit.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 12, 2018

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

I do kind of adore her and watched last season's Bolero scene many many times until three little words popped into my head that almost ruined her for me.

Here's the scene: https://youtu.be/rw9EV0zqYuQ

While you're watching, just think: young Tim Curry

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"Ruined?" :raise:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I don't want to be attracted to Tim Curry :(

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

why not

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was at a party recently where that Father John Misty video she's in was on and someone (admittedly a straight woman) said "who knew Aubrey Plaza was hot before this video?!" lol

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

He wants to come again and again and again

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I keep forgetting this is based on some comic spin off of the x-men. Are the google results of legion and Proteus what I should think dark future might be based on?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blazing Ownager posted:

"Guns, my one weakness!"

My one complaint about the show is that they’re so intent on subverting expectations that they don’t let Keri do her thing. She’s been in two actual fights since the show started and she was a beast in both, even though Farouk had grabbed her for the second. At a certain point you have to let her take her spiked baseball bat and actually do something with it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Goofballs posted:

I keep forgetting this is based on some comic spin off of the x-men. Are the google results of legion and Proteus what I should think dark future might be based on?

I want onslaught goddamn it

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

I want onslaught goddamn it

I dunno who that is either, my perception of the show is entirely isolated from comics. I know its kind of x-men but I have no clue how it ties into that except David is Patrick Stewart's son

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr4knvNNgtU&t=40s

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

regulargonzalez posted:

https://youtu.be/iemGXdBdupM?t=93

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

That's kind of problematic given the dance-off in the season premiere. Assuming that it is supposed to be an analogy for PSYCHIC POWER WARFARE, how does Lenny take part? Unless they pull a really lame retcon she doesn't have psychic powers and isn't a mutant. Oliver is essentially mind-controlled into combat vs David but Lenny is either purely Lenny, which makes no sense given s02e01, purely an avatar of the Shadow King which makes no sense in the context of s02e02, or is somehow both depending on need which doesn't make a lot of sense either but it gives us more Aubrey Plaza screen time so whatever.

Well, my running theory so far is "I don't know what Lenny Is", but I'm starting to like the idea that she started as simply a disguise that eventually developed into a separate personality and consciousness. Perhaps she's the idea that became a delusion that John Hamm keeps going on about. And spawning from a mostly mental psychic may have granted her a chunk of that psychic power.

Or I'm wrong. Lot's of possibilities. She could have been representing Farouk again in the dance off, even if she's the original Lenny's soul.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

regulargonzalez posted:

Now I want Tim Curry to play her father in something. It'd work.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they give SOME explanation why the robot women have mustaches. It's such a strange loving detail given none of it is happening in David's head.

glitchwraith posted:

I think there is a way they MIGHT reconcile this. We've seen a lot of forms with Farouk: The yellow eyed demon, the angriest boy in the world, the goat wheelchair thing, etc. He's jumped into all of them at will, but we've always assumed he just changes shape.

What if they're all remains of minds he's trapped? Like Lenny is just another one of them. He can puppeteer them and hop into them at any time (like an agent in the Matrix, God I hate bringing up the Matrix). That said, right now it seems like a misstep to not just have Lenny shape change to Farouk.

i.e. Farouk is just cruising around in his fat yellow eyed demon suit, decides there's a threat at hand and hops into Lenny to go deal with it, etc? I'm stabbing in the dark but just a (somewhat rough) theory

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Blazing Ownager posted:

Now I want Tim Curry to play her father in something. It'd work.

With Rami Malek as her brother?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Mann posted:

I will never link to TV Tropes or use their godawful terms but this is a pretty common issue with ongoing fiction; you show how powerful a threat is by having them easily defeat your best fighter, only it happens so often that the person who is supposed to be your super badass is constantly being clowned on or taken out of commission so they lose their effectiveness.

GreenNight posted:

See: Worf.

I think so far she's only fought and been trashed in combat by goons and an illusionist. So more like if Worf consistently got beaten up by small gangs of Ferengi (while taunting the God like aliens with badassery)

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

regulargonzalez posted:

Well in the comics David Haller is able to absorb the psyche of anyone who dies around him. Syd was in David's body and accidentally killed girl Lenny and absorbed the psyche without meaning to (I imagine). At that time SK is attached to David and he takes control of this psyche and uses it against him. Think of Lenny as a puppet and right now Farouk is controlling her strings, and can channel his power through her image. It wouldn't surprise me if at some point Lenny is able to escape Farouk and ride around in David's head again but as fun-time nut house Lenny instead of scary monster Lenny.

Phantom Star fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

All I want to know is what the hell is up with those green hands pointing.