Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

Or they just won't promote it at all, like the current series they sponsor.

Um listen pal if putting dead-eyed girls awkwardly behind the winner in every victory lane shot isn't promotion then I don't know what is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Firestone Presents the IndyCar Series Chassis'd by Dallara

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I just hope it’s not Tesla

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

big nipples big life posted:

Or they just won't promote it at all, like the current series they sponsor.

what's wrong with how they promote Supercross? :v:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WindyMan posted:

Long Beach, woot!

Who's coming?

My brother and I will be there Sat-Sun as usual, and I think I've got 4-5 friends commin' for Sat as well.

Weather looking like the normal Long Beach stuff, I aint complainin.

heh 69. nice.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

kidcoelacanth posted:

Um listen pal if putting dead-eyed girls awkwardly behind the winner in every victory lane shot isn't promotion then I don't know what is

I remember when I thought the Sprint Cup girls in fire suits were silly. Little did I know...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I just got an email that Portland GP tickets will go on sale on April 17th. If you signed up for the newsletter, you can buy on the 16th. They posted prices and they aren't too bad, a 3 day GA ticket is $60.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
That's really cheap, I can get a train ticket there for like fifty bucks too probably

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
So apparently Dreyer & Reinbold will indeed field 2 cars for the Indy 500 this year. There is a teleconference tomorrow afternoon to announce who the driver will be.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

They've cloned Sage :barf:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
So how many does that make being sad for bump day?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

So how many does that make being sad for bump day?

With JR, we've got 35 full entries plus 1 potential Buddy entry. So anywhere from 2-3 will miss the field.

There are rumors that Saavedra and a few others are shopping for Bump Day special deals, but I don't think any of the team owners are interested in doing that.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Cygni posted:

I just got an email that Portland GP tickets will go on sale on April 17th. If you signed up for the newsletter, you can buy on the 16th. They posted prices and they aren't too bad, a 3 day GA ticket is $60.

i am going to this bitch, will be my first indycar race :getin:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Grand Prix of Portland tickets on sale April 17! Anyone going? I am.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/Hinchtown/status/984184022220681216

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
I swear to God that all the good events always happen before I arrive :argh:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i am going to this bitch, will be my first indycar race :getin:

This will be my 2nd Indycar race and 3rd event. I'm getting paddock passes for Sunday.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

JR confirmed for a 500 ride:
https://twitter.com/salesforce/status/984468714069417984

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Good.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Oh dang, Salesforce is a big rear end sponsor to be bringing into the fold too.

At this point, Carlin has to be worried. Two good cars are going home, and lookin at this entry list and goin off current performance...

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 12, 2018

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Must fight urge to rip on Jenna Fryer...

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

HOLY poo poo THEY FINALLY SPONSORED A RACE CAR

:yayclod:

e: If someone doesn't give me work swag consisting of a goat in a race suit, I am going to be the saddest person.

Dirt Road Junglist fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 12, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Threw an email into Miller's mailbag, oh god I'm an old now, but the more I think about the race last weekend, the more I'm dumbfounded why Indycar can't seem to draw a crowd at Phoenix. The NASCAR race was no better. Just longer, and slower, and with more yellows for nothing. It was still entertaining but without those yellows it would've been a runaway win.

Are people just that much more interested in watching lapped cars get passed? Because that's pretty much the only thing that happened far more often in the NASCAR race than the Indycar race. There was no side-by-side battling for the lead, nobody carving up the field, just 62 laps longer and 50MPH slower.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I thought Phoenix was a good race and short ovals are my least favourite type of track.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Short ovals were good in CART until they made the dumb decision to run speedway wings on them.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
So there's new curbing in Turn 5 and I don't think you'll see anyone cutting that corner anymore

It's metal and anyone that drives over it will immediately regret it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are people just that much more interested in watching lapped cars get passed? Because that's pretty much the only thing that happened far more often in the NASCAR race than the Indycar race. There was no side-by-side battling for the lead, nobody carving up the field, just 62 laps longer and 50MPH slower.

to be fair "watching lapped cars get passed" described 90% of what happened in the CART races at Phoenix/Milwaukee prior to the split and everyone loved it

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

to be fair "watching lapped cars get passed" described 90% of what happened in the CART races at Phoenix/Milwaukee prior to the split and everyone loved it

This is true. I suppose in '93 after the first few laps literally all that happened was Paul Tracy passing lapped cars, followed by him wrecking, followed by Emmo wrecking.

I just don't get why that qualifies as "pack the loving stands" and Saturday's race with Rossi driving through the field twice was "bad".

Really I just don't know what Indycar could do. I'd love them to get more power again, but I don't think that would change the crowds at all. They're already the fastest cars that run on that track by a wide margin.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
They lost those fans overnight when the split happened and it will take a long time to get them back. They should keep running those races and consider it an investment even if they don't immediately get good attendance.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Short ovals were good in CART until they made the dumb decision to run speedway wings on them.

I was never overly fond of them, but then again I'm not a huge oval fan in general. But yes they got significantly worse after 1998 with the speedway wings.

Frond fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 12, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

KingShibby posted:

So there's new curbing in Turn 5 and I don't think you'll see anyone cutting that corner anymore

It's metal and anyone that drives over it will immediately regret it

:black101:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like the compromise they've taken with the short oval kits, mostly once you find out that "hey, lap times with and without the top elements are the same, only you have to lift in the corners now."

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

IOwnCalculus posted:

This is true. I suppose in '93 after the first few laps literally all that happened was Paul Tracy passing lapped cars, followed by him wrecking, followed by Emmo wrecking.

I just don't get why that qualifies as "pack the loving stands" and Saturday's race with Rossi driving through the field twice was "bad".

Really I just don't know what Indycar could do. I'd love them to get more power again, but I don't think that would change the crowds at all. They're already the fastest cars that run on that track by a wide margin.

Need more Good ol' boy drivers with names like Ed Jones and Scott Dixon, not pansy furrin' names like Alexander Rossi or Josef Newgarden.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's not so much passing the lapped cars, but the unpredictability that traffic plays in the battle for the lead. Even if the leader can pass a lapped car eventually, they might get a bad line or an unlucky box-in which is something the trailing cars can take advantage of. It's those unexpected points of conflict on the racetrack that make fans go "oh!" and start paying attention for a potentially significant race event.

When the field thinned out and the spec era began to compress the field together, lapped traffic ceased to affect races in the same way. The difference in speed between the faster leaders and the slower backmarkers wasn't significant enough to cause log-jams and sow chaos within the train of leaders. Trailing cars could only rely on driving mistakes by the cars ahead of them to make ground up, which were much less likely to happen with less traffic in the way. In the event the leader did catch a slower car (always just one car) ahead of them, they could only follow behind due to the lovely aero.

Side-by-side battles for the lead aren't the thing racing series should ultimately be aiming for. It's giving faster cars a minefield to navigate once they catch up with lapped traffic. Without that, you are unlikely to get close racing without gimmicking up the joint.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
Just posting to say that the bear pouring a glass of milk is adorable

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Pheonix is like, the only short oval I don't like Indycars on. Gateway was a lot of fun last year. Sitting across from the pits at the start/finish line and being able to see the whole track is pretty dope, there is always something to grab your attention.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Reynold posted:

Pheonix is like, the only short oval I don't like Indycars on. Gateway was a lot of fun last year. Sitting across from the pits at the start/finish line and being able to see the whole track is pretty dope, there is always something to grab your attention.

The funny thing is Phoenix played out the same way as Gateway did last year, minus the utter clownshoes at the start. The middle was saved by Rossi going absolutely ham on the field, and the end was exciting.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

They lost those fans overnight when the split happened and it will take a long time to get them back. They should keep running those races and consider it an investment even if they don't immediately get good attendance.

Ding ding ding ding

The crowds will be back, the race was quite fine, they can’t all be bangers but it was entertaining enough.

Salesforce sponsoring a car though? Daaaamn. Let’s hope they catch on and stay around.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Salesforce has money to burn, surely, they’re pretty expensive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Honestly I hope the Indycar race sticks around here, at least for one more year to get to the new infield configuration. With the changes they're making, it will make the infield far more fan-accessible, and that's one of the best parts of an Indycar race when you're actually there. Up through Saturday, even though most fans sat at the T1 end of the track, you had to walk all the way to T4 to go under the track to get to the infield. The new tunnel is going to be underneath the main stands.