Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that’s way cooler than if he just got his back pay tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Inasmuch as my college buddies watched any WCW in its dying days, I always professed to be a fan of Mister Slapnuts, but it was in the same way I was a fan of Who Let The Dogs Out or MD 20/20; I knew it was terrible but relished in having a slightly higher tolerance for its awfulness than my friends did, therefore torturing them with it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

St Evan Echoes posted:

that’s way cooler than if he just got his back pay tbh

It's by far the best thing he's done in his life and the only good thing Russo ever did.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Wasn't the match he had with Chyna pretty much her best match ever, too?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't the match he had with Chyna pretty much her best match ever, too?

That or a match with Jericho.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

That or a match with Jericho.

I do remember popping for the top rope pedigree but I do not remember not much else about her matches with Jericho. At least the matches themselves, anyways. I remember later reading Chris got in hot water for stiffing her accidentally and that Vince of all people got really fired up about it and nearly fired Chris.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

MassRafTer posted:

It's by far the best thing he's done in his life and the only good thing Russo ever did.

Russo also "swerved" WCW by telling them he would testify for them in Sid's injury lawsuit, but then getting on the stand and testifying in favor of Sid.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Halloween Jack posted:

I apologize for bringing this up, but did Jeff Jarrett ever have a single fan, anywhere, ever?

I’m sorry but I’m imagining someone with a Wisconsin accent (think Edie McClurg on the Hogan Family) asking this and I am just dying right now.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Buddy I don't know how to tell you this but he wasn't owed well into the six figures for back PPV money.

Well that's your opinion jack

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

livestreaming with those charity podcast people was pretty cool

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

The OSW Review lads seem to like him for some reason, but I try not to hold it against them.

AFAIK they acknowledge he's a lousy main eventer, but they loved his comedy stuff like Double-M-A, and had kind words about meeting him IRL.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

fart blood posted:

someone with a Wisconsin accent (think Edie McClurg on the Hogan Family)
What?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

See also: Edie McClurg in Elvira: Mistress of the Dark, or Edie McClurg in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, or Edie McClurg in Small Wonder, or Edie McClurg in 7th Heaven.

Additionally, no ne-ne no no no.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hate to derail, but does anyone else think Dale Torborg or however you spell it sounds like the name of a demon already? TORBORG

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fart blood posted:

I’m sorry but I’m imagining someone with a Wisconsin accent (think Edie McClurg on the Hogan Family) asking this and I am just dying right now.

I could totally see someone named Ed from Wisconsin being interested in digging up the corpse of WCW.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

St Evan Echoes posted:

livestreaming with those charity podcast people was pretty cool

"the lights come back on and brays still in the ring" would be better booking than wwe's given him

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MotU posted:

"the lights come back on and brays still in the ring" would be better booking than wwe's given him

"Booker T has been replaced with a skeleton" is the kind of booking that I can get behind

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Hypothetically, who are some wrestlers that had limited potential in WCW that y'all think would have kicked rear end in the WWE but never got a fair chance?

For me, it's Scott Norton. I think he would have been a great bruiser in the mold of Boss Man.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I do remember popping for the top rope pedigree but I do not remember not much else about her matches with Jericho. At least the matches themselves, anyways. I remember later reading Chris got in hot water for stiffing her accidentally and that Vince of all people got really fired up about it and nearly fired Chris.

Quotes of "the drizzling shits" and "your contract isn't worth the paper it's printed on" come to mind.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

joshtothemaxx posted:

Hypothetically, who are some wrestlers that had limited potential in WCW that y'all think would have kicked rear end in the WWE but never got a fair chance?

For me, it's Scott Norton. I think he would have been a great bruiser in the mold of Boss Man.

Scott Norton was a two-time IWGP Heavyweight champion

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Yeah WCW was basically Norton's side gig. He was too limited on the mic and in the ring to really do well in WWE. He'd get a big push out of the gate and then his limitations would be exposed and Vince would be done with him in a couple years. Overall that'd probably be a more meaningful run than what Norton got in WCW, but he wouldn't be able to do New Japan.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

joshtothemaxx posted:

Horace Hogan wasn't great, obviously, but if he was in WWF during the 1999-2001 Hardcore Title scene, he would have had some decent fuckfests with Hardcore Holly, Raven, Steve Blackman, all those dudes.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I feel like most wrestlers in WCW fall under 3 categories IRT this question.

1) They were either a WWF retread or WWF hired them after WCW folded.
2) WWF did hire them and used them better (The Radicalz, Jericho, Big Show...you might not agree with Big Show though)
3) They weren't going to succeed in either WCW or WWF. Either because they sucked or because they would have struggled in WWF for the same reasons they struggled in WCW (like the Luchadores and, um...the Luchadores)

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Alaois posted:

Scott Norton was a two-time IWGP Heavyweight champion

No poo poo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Inspired by the previous few posts mentioning Raven being a nothing Hardcore guy and then the post after talking about WWE utilizing some people better....

Who was the WCW star that was hosed over most in the WWE after the buyout?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Alex Wright is the only guy I can think of who fits the bill if he put on some muscle. He was only 26 when WCW died, and he came from a wrestling family, just WCW killed his desire to be in the business.

To the previous topic, obv.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

NikkolasKing posted:

Inspired by the previous few posts mentioning Raven being a nothing Hardcore guy and then the post after talking about WWE utilizing some people better....

Lanny Poffo

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

DDP went from being the best buddies with the prospective new boss to being an older outsider in a company where he was an rear end to one of their favored younger stars.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

NikkolasKing posted:

Jeff Jarrett.
His only way to remain relevant in wrestling was to start his own company and have either his dad, his pet booker or himself book him to be a multiple-time world champion.
And I'm using "relevant' very generously here.

But really I wonder if anybody really got hosed. None of them had to work for WCW anymore. I don't think anybody actually enjoyed being there.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 15, 2018

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

rare Magic card l00k posted:

DDP went from being the best buddies with the prospective new boss to being an older outsider in a company where he was an rear end to one of their favored younger stars.

Who was DDP an rear end to? In WWF?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!
I thought he just had heat with bikertaker which in turn killed him out of the gate in wwe? I mean his fued with him stalled any future hope he had. Mind you he was already old as hell by the time he reached the wwe so that didn't help either.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Any WCW guy coming in was treated as a threat to the WWF guys' livelihood, since there wasn't exactly infinite roster space and locker room politics in wrestling are always childish. I think someone mentioned in another thread recently that Jericho did a promo on Taker (after a bizarre Taker/Big Show promo designed to be boring and interrupted by someone) and then got heat for "disrespecting Taker."

I frankly think the main reason Jericho made it was because Vince had his back on at least some level and he signed before WCW folded.

DDP was never super well-liked on some level because he did the Macho Man thing where he wanted to choreograph every match spot-for-spot, which is considered shameful and dishonorable conduct by the normal standard, which is call as much as possible in-ring.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
People mainly didn't like DDP coming up to them with a PDA wanting to go over every part of the match and telling them this poo poo is the future when they didn't want to.

Sadly he was right.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

arguably DDP was like the #2 guy when WCW folded(I'm going on memory here so roast me if I'm wrong) so he definitely lost the hardest. DDP's whole act was built around him being a swaggerin tough guy and if the writing didn't protect that, he's just an old busted hesh in tight jeans. Asking WWE to protect a guy like that with an ego issue vs pushing newer more pliable talent, its a no contest.

Its a great what if to play but I think DDP and WWE got exactly what they wanted out of each other.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And hell, it's not like they're on bad terms or anything. DDP always shows up for random interview segments on documentaries and poo poo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ktik posted:

fuckfests with Hardcore Holly, Raven, Steve Blackman, all those dudes.
What's wrong with you

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ChrisBTY posted:

Jeff Jarrett.
His only way to remain relevant in wrestling was to start his own company and have either his dad, his pet booker or himself book him to be a multiple-time world champion.
And I'm using "relevant' very generously here.

But really I wonder if anybody really got hosed. None of them had to work for WCW anymore. I don't think anybody actually enjoyed being there.

I always loved that on the Raw broadcast of the Last Nitro ever, Vince took time to personally fire Jeff Jarrett as the show opened.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Lex Luger was way more hosed than Jeff post WCW given WWF went as far to accuse him of killing Liz. Jeff at least had a dad to go halfies on a company with.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

exploded mummy posted:

I always loved that on the Raw broadcast of the Last Nitro ever, Vince took time to personally fire Jeff Jarrett as the show opened.

Didn't he call out Luger too? Not so much as firing him outright but basically saying he was not worth it to bring in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s actually because Luger refused to give back the lex express and kept it afte he was released