Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Niton posted:

It's expensive, fragile, and kills you if you gently caress it up. Should be fine.

e: and not like "leaves you behind" kills you, either.

I agree it's not a great combo but how does it kill you if you gently caress it up? You have to resolve the copy each time you want to draw another card so you can choose to stop drawing at any time.

I guess if you literally wanted to draw your entire deck and forgot about the original Maneuver it would kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Retromancer posted:

Someone pointed out that naru meha combos infinitely with acrobatic maneuvers to let you draw your entire deck. What you’re supposed to do with this is beyond me.

lol

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
in that case Ghostly Flicker + Naru Meha is an infinite mana combo for 4UUU in modern

e: Sunscorched Desert & Radiant Fountain for incidental wincons, Vendilion Clique lets you dig for anything
e2: Also Whir for 0 gets Lotus Bloom if anyone wants to make this dumb deck

myDad fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 13, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

qbert posted:

I agree it's not a great combo but how does it kill you if you gently caress it up? You have to resolve the copy each time you want to draw another card so you can choose to stop drawing at any time.

I guess if you literally wanted to draw your entire deck and forgot about the original Maneuver it would kill you.

Neither piece are optional, so if you somehow get Acrobatic Maneuvers on the stack with Naru Meha as your only creature, such as if your opponent kills your original target in response to Naru Meha, you deck out.

Which would be hilarious.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

sit on my Facebook posted:

They "matter" in the sense that they're very present in the set, will definitely impact limited, and have enough cards that care about them with constructed viability that you'll notice the theme and be able to utilize it in Standard without having to make a "Legends: the deck" gimmick and be super parasitic about it.

In other words, a well executed mechanic.

True. Legends matter. "Legends matters" doesn't matter.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I noticed a fun thing

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'd still try that combo just to do it. Just make sure you have SOMETHING on the board as a safeguard.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

qbert posted:

Like Hellsau said, you can't actually stop the combo unless you have another creature. If you have enough mana to play Maneuver, Naru Meha, and hold up defenses, you could have won plenty of other ways.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any cheap creatures you can flash in during the combo as a safeguard? Just having some in your deck should make it work.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

The combo already costs 7 which is basically infinity according to this thread

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I might make a bad deck out of this with Whir in modern

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

A Moose posted:

The combo already costs 7 which is basically infinity according to this thread

7 mana combos are in every set right?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

that's cool. Are these referencing the Odyssey coliseum lands?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

TheChirurgeon posted:

that's cool. Are these referencing the Odyssey coliseum lands?

Possibly! It's also possible that it's a joke since they're all by Mark Poole

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Sickening posted:

:smaug:

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Sickening posted:

I don't always win FNM with insane Jank home brews, but when I do...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Hellsau posted:

Neither piece are optional, so if you somehow get Acrobatic Maneuvers on the stack with Naru Meha as your only creature, such as if your opponent kills your original target in response to Naru Meha, you deck out.

Which would be hilarious.

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize Naru's trigger wasn't a 'may'. That is hilarious.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Serious question: Would it be possible to simply cast Acrobatic Maneuver on a Naru who is already on the battlefield to start the combo? Acrobatic Maneuver doesn't finish resolving until after the flicker, due to the space text between it and "Draw a card", which would come next, right? In which case the spell would still be on the stack for Naru to target? That way it wouldn't be costing you 4WUU to pull it all off on a single turn.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The real question is, once you have all these cards... what do you do?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Matsuri posted:

Serious question: Would it be possible to simply cast Acrobatic Maneuver on a Naru who is already on the battlefield to start the combo? Acrobatic Maneuver doesn't finish resolving until after the flicker, due to the space text between it and "Draw a card", which would come next, right? In which case the spell would still be on the stack for Naru to target? That way it wouldn't be costing you 4WUU to pull it all off on a single turn.

No, that doesn't work. Pretty sure Neru gets flickered, you draw a card, spell is gone, then Neru's trigger goes on the stack.

I don't think something can go on the stack while something else is in the middle of resolving.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Matsuri posted:

Serious question: Would it be possible to simply cast Acrobatic Maneuver on a Naru who is already on the battlefield to start the combo?

No.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Matsuri posted:

A spell or ability has to finish fully resolving before the rest of that gets sorted out. You would draw the card and put Acrobatic Maneuver into the graveyard before Naru's ability has a chance to have its targets selected and be put on the stack.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Hm. Why does it work like that while the "flicker a Fiend Hunter" combo works due to the way the card is written?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Matsuri posted:

Hm. Why does it work like that while the "flicker a Fiend Hunter" combo works due to the way the card is written?

Because the ETB trigger hasn’t actually resolved before the LTB starts resolving.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Matsuri posted:

Because those are separate abilities, and they still adhere to the "fully resolve" rule.

When an ability goes on the stack you have the chance to respond before it starts resolving, which is what you're doing with Fiend Hunter. You can't do anything WHILE an ability is resolving, and the text on Maneuver is all one big ability.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because the ETB trigger hasn’t actually resolved before the LTB starts resolving.

Right. That's why I was wondering why the separate parts of Acrobatic Maneuver wouldn't work the same way. I guess it makes sense since the first ability has fully resolved by the time Naru finishes flickering.

Hm, all right. Best way to learn anything in Magic is to be wrong.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Matsuri posted:

Right. That's why I was wondering why the separate parts of Acrobatic Maneuver wouldn't work the same way. I guess it makes sense since the first ability has fully resolved by the time Naru finishes flickering.

All of the text on Maneuver is one big effect. There is no first part and second part.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Matsuri posted:

Hm, all right. Best way to learn anything in Magic is to be wrong.

Spells don't have "abilities," they have text and once a spell starts resolving, you can't interrupt it. Maneuver flickers Naru and you draw a card and then, once that's all over and the game checks State Based Effects, then Naru's trigger happens.

It's the same with something like Persecute or Cranial Extraction, which have you choose a color or name a card. Making that choice is part of the resolution, so by the time you know the name, you've lost your chance to respond.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Makes sense. Oh well. Would have been cool if it did work that way.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

You can do that combo for cheaper with Twinflame in modern, fyi.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Shortest Path posted:

You can do that combo for cheaper with Twinflame in modern, fyi.

They should make Dualcaster Mage modern legal for Twinflame wackiness.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

They should make Dualcaster Mage modern legal for Twinflame wackiness.

I agree.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Stolen from reddit, a rat deck. Probably needs more removal but bontu's + rat colony seems fun.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Bontu's Monument
4 Duress
4 Forest
4 Heroic Intervention
4 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
24 Rat Colony
12 Swamp

Display deck statistics

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

moush posted:

Stolen from reddit, a rat deck. Probably needs more removal but bontu's + rat colony seems fun.

//Main
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Bontu's Monument
4 Duress
4 Forest
4 Heroic Intervention
4 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
24 Rat Colony
12 Swamp

Display deck statistics

Did Reddit forget that Woodland Cemetery is in this set?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

moush posted:

//Main
4 Blooming Marsh
4 Bontu's Monument
4 Duress
4 Forest
4 Heroic Intervention
4 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
24 Rat Colony
12 Swamp

Display deck statistics

Hilarious but I feel like its missing a draw engine.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AnEdgelord posted:

Hilarious but I feel like its missing a draw engine.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Thats what I get for phoneposting in bed.

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

Why not Vanquisher's Banner?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Leave it to reddit to leave out Freyalise saga because they are too stupid to realize you still need mana to do poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Because that number up in the upper right corner is wrong.