Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Is that the spermlight from the gladius or some aftermarket thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

spouse posted:

It’s a Yamaha light I think

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

In maybe the first time this has ever happened in the history of motorcycling, a guy I had posted about in the new riders thread (didn't listen to me about getting a 300cc bike, wanted something in the 600s for room to grow) decided he really wants a Zero, so in the meantime he's going to pick up a 300cc bike and learn on it. Of course as he's telling me this at a taco stand, the guy at the next table interrupts us to say that even 600 is too small and you won't feel safe on the freeway without an 800 or liter bike. We all thought he was joking but he was serious, however he was speaking from a riding cruisers point of view, so I dunno, maybe a liter Harley is still a low powered beginner bike.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.

spouse posted:

MT/FZ 03. Ugly as balls, and for some reason (hint: cheap due to being installed on plenty of new rider bikes, who then drop/crash them) becoming very popular in the streetfighter/custom naked world. The other day I found a classified ad for an amazing gen 2 busa fighter with full ohlins/great mods etc, and that headlight :(.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

In maybe the first time this has ever happened in the history of motorcycling, a guy I had posted about in the new riders thread (didn't listen to me about getting a 300cc bike, wanted something in the 600s for room to grow) decided he really wants a Zero, so in the meantime he's going to pick up a 300cc bike and learn on it. Of course as he's telling me this at a taco stand, the guy at the next table interrupts us to say that even 600 is too small and you won't feel safe on the freeway without an 800 or liter bike. We all thought he was joking but he was serious, however he was speaking from a riding cruisers point of view, so I dunno, maybe a liter Harley is still a low powered beginner bike.

Harley-Davidson doesn't even make a bike less than 800cc (THE STREET DON'T COUNT BECAUSE IT'S GOT WATER INNIT LIKE A TOILET) so obviously he thinks that that's the minimum motorcycle engine size because The Motor Company would never do anything less than perfectly.

That said, yeah, a ~650cc cruiser is generally a low-powered entry-level bike. The engines are usually air-cooled and low-revving, so they don't make much power, and the bike's geometry makes them less twitchy (and less maneuverable) than a standard or sportbike. Not to say they're great for beginners -- more maneuverability is obviously always good, the stability is misleading because their low center of gravity makes them quicker to fall over, and the low riding position is bad for visibility. But they aren't deathtraps for a beginner like a 600-class supersport is.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A Harley 883 has about 45hp so yeah. They'd be good learner bikes if they weren't insanely heavy.

Hell even an older Harley big twin would have trouble staying with a ninja 300 on the straight but again, even more insanely heavy.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

Harley-Davidson doesn't even make a bike less than 800cc (THE STREET DON'T COUNT BECAUSE IT'S GOT WATER INNIT LIKE A TOILET) so obviously he thinks that that's the minimum motorcycle engine size because The Motor Company would never do anything less than perfectly.

They used to IN THE GOOD OLD DAYS :bahgawd:

Would deffo put up with the vagaries of running an ancient Rapido for the chance to make this guy's brain short circuit.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

I desperately need to do something to improve my throttle cable routing. I was on some loaner bikes yesterday and their throttles were smooth, short throw, light, and returned to idle easily. I didn't realize how masochistically terrible my throttle is.

I will fix it with the EFI.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
EFI or not, 1st gear off throttle/engine breaking on my cb300f is harsh. I felt like a chump the first year I owned it and it's still hard to deccelerate smoothly. Still, I tell myself that every trip through every parking lot is a good time to practice bracing with my legs and core while keeping my hands light ; it may even be true.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

(THE STREET DON'T COUNT BECAUSE IT'S GOT WATER INNIT LIKE A TOILET)
This is good, I like this one

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

EFI or not, 1st gear off throttle/engine breaking on my cb300f is harsh. I felt like a chump the first year I owned it and it's still hard to deccelerate smoothly. Still, I tell myself that every trip through every parking lot is a good time to practice bracing with my legs and core while keeping my hands light ; it may even be true.

braking

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Dammit I was on my way out of town for a nice ride and lost all electrical power and now my main fuse keeps blowing even with the ignition off and even after pulling out all peripherals.
I loving hate finding bad grounds because I'm just poo poo at electrical stuff and a multimeter might as well be that weird instrument that Fry tries to learn in Futurama in my hands.
I hope it's a bad CDI.

edit: holophonor, that's what it's called

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 25, 2018

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What bike? You've got a power wire shorting to earth somewhere, that situation always sucks cause there's no easy way to narrow it down.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If it does it with the key off, that narrows it down a lot I think, it's got to be between the main fuse and the ignition switch. There shouldn't be much there, just some wire. Unless it's a modern EFI bike with fancy computers that draw current even with key off. And/or it's Italian.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Whoops I missed that bit. As the good reverend says, the starter relay on modern bikes often has 4 pins and corrosion can sometimes build up there and short them; the relays often just fail internally with the same result. There's literally like 3 wires on the bike that are always live regardless of key position so should be easy to find.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Went hard in the gym Saturday morning, then rode ~110 miles from LA to San Diego. I was feeling like I needed a break even though I only had 20 miles left, knew there was a rest stop in something like 5 miles, then traffic became absolutely horrible and I had to split lanes the rest of the way. Got distracted, missed the rest stop, powered through, and by the time I got off the freeway I felt like a total spazz on the bike. Had around 18 miles of splitting lanes while tired, which doesn't sound that bad, but I've never felt that gassed from riding before, even on longer rides.

In other news, I was taking a look at Google's complete location history, going back years. The amount of detail is amazing, but I was surprised to see it's able to guess fairly well when I'm on the bike versus a car. It assumes car if everyone is going close to your speed, but it was pretty good at figuring out I must have been splitting lanes for parts of my ride. Looks like I came pretty close to averaging 60mph for my ride, which isn't bad considering Saturday afternoon SD to LA has absolutely horrible traffic.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

Went hard in the gym Saturday morning, then rode ~110 miles from LA to San Diego. I was feeling like I needed a break even though I only had 20 miles left, knew there was a rest stop in something like 5 miles, then traffic became absolutely horrible and I had to split lanes the rest of the way. Got distracted, missed the rest stop, powered through, and by the time I got off the freeway I felt like a total spazz on the bike. Had around 18 miles of splitting lanes while tired, which doesn't sound that bad, but I've never felt that gassed from riding before, even on longer rides.

In other news, I was taking a look at Google's complete location history, going back years. The amount of detail is amazing, but I was surprised to see it's able to guess fairly well when I'm on the bike versus a car. It assumes car if everyone is going close to your speed, but it was pretty good at figuring out I must have been splitting lanes for parts of my ride. Looks like I came pretty close to averaging 60mph for my ride, which isn't bad considering Saturday afternoon SD to LA has absolutely horrible traffic.

It's embarrassing if it assumes car, and absolutely mortifying if it thinks bus.

Erm, I'd imagine. Every time I look at mine it says "Super-awesome rocket-ship or something".

Daemoxx
Oct 20, 2007
[witty comment goes here]
I think it pulls data from the accelerometer, too. No lane-splitting in Oregon and my Kia has more acceleration than my bike, but Google can still tell when I'm riding.

Also it's the end of March and it's been a mild winter outside of the one snow day, why the gently caress is my job's parking lot still full of gravel?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The wiring on the Aprilia is the worst. You thought Buells had a lot of wiring shorts from vibration rubbing insulation away, but you have never experienced a low mile Futura. Those counterbalanced cream puffs don't even vibrate. Makes me want to throw a bunch of heat shrink trimmings at the drat thing.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Daemoxx posted:

I think it pulls data from the accelerometer, too. No lane-splitting in Oregon and my Kia has more acceleration than my bike, but Google can still tell when I'm riding.

Hmmm I wonder how that works, maybe lean angle?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It scans the oncoming lanes for waving riders.

Doesn't work with scooters or trikes for some strange reason.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My buddy who actually was going to listen to the common advice of starting with a 300cc bike now wants to test ride a gsxr 600 and a ninja 650, just to see if he can tell the difference and if the 650 is too slow. I tried...

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Rip in peace, bro.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Previous owner changed retaining plates for the front sprocket on the DR and now the replacement stuff doesnt fit and I have to wait for procycle to send me another one.

Was planning on going to visit a friend at the dragon next monday but now I'm worried that my old chain with its stiff links and general sad nature will be safe for such a trip.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Sounds like that calls for a Scottoiler. For your chain, at least. Scottoilers can't help with POs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can anyone tell me why those things cost a million bucks btw? I've fitted and handled a bunch of them and it's all fairly reasonable quality materials and stuff but I can't understand how the world's simplest vacuum pump and a few bits of plastic and tubing can possibly be worth $400.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
:lol: it's not, you're just getting hosed by import fees. They're £90 here in the UK, which google tells me shouldn't come to more than 175NZD.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slide Hammer posted:

Sounds like that calls for a Scottoiler. For your chain, at least. Scottoilers can't help with POs.

Or a little can of oil for $5? Or just swap in a new chain.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

:lol: it's not, you're just getting hosed by import fees. They're £90 here in the UK, which google tells me shouldn't come to more than 175NZD.

I should learn this is always the answer. Starting price here is about 260.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I don't need a scottoiler, I clean and lube my chain regularly. they always seem to get like this though. :(

Besides a scottoiler should cost $70 max.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My buddy goes to buy a new 2017 FZ-07 from the local motorcycle mega dealer, who agrees upon $5k for the price, but then says dealer prep fees are $2500 - wtf?!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah with dealerships always negotiate on out the door price otherwise they do that BS

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That's actually a deal if you think about the breakdown of costs:

750 for jim bob to give it a glance over
900 in fluids because the engine is dry
600 for air to go in the tires
500 for connie to give it the "lick test"

= 2750

$250 in savings right there screw all motorcycle dealerships.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

MomJeans420 posted:

My buddy goes to buy a new 2017 FZ-07 from the local motorcycle mega dealer, who agrees upon $5k for the price, but then says dealer prep fees are $2500 - wtf?!

Flash the cash and walk. Its surprising how quickly things like that become negotiable. And by all means they have the right to do so or not.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rode Mines Rd. yesterday up the back of Mt. Hamilton. Very nice ride.

Stopped at the Junction on the way and the Bay Area Supermoto crew was there in their hoodies and jeans and field armor. (tbf some of them had proper gear but most were like that).

On the way up the mountain, I followed a gang of like eight of them who I was much faster than. They were parking it in the corners at a speed that I was comfortable going around one-handed.

On the way down the mountain, four of them from a different, faster group decided to pass me all at once by going into the opposite lane as we went around this particular turn

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3374178,-121.6438796,3a,75y,225.87h,85.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdqW76T6dbJMoSbQVyL0UDg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

:thumbsup: guys

tjones
May 13, 2005
Only one made the decision to pass, the others blindly followed or didn't want to look less than the others.

Your decisions can and usually do affect others, sometimes negatively even if that isn't your intention. Not something I want to have to contemplate after the fact. Like wise, as you experienced, another rear end in a top hat's decision can very much ruin your day even if you are trying to stay out of trouble.

It's why I don't group ride.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't resent them for being faster than I am or anything, but it's just impossibly dumb to go over the yellow line when you're blind to oncoming traffic -- AND to do it on a road with no shoulders or escape routes AND on the edge of a loving mountain AND on this particular road, of all places, which is a very popular destination so there are always Miatas barreling around the other way, road cyclists going 11mph in the middle of the lane, tourists suddenly slamming their minivan to a stop to to get that hot instagram pic, gravel and sand on the inside of every other corner, random creeks across the road that literally turn into ice in the shade, turkeys and deer and poo poo darting out, you name it.

they're living on borrowed time man

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
It's fine if they do it on the outside turn cause then they just go flying off and die or entangled in the guard rails.

it's a problem when people ride outside their means on the inside turn as this can happen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWm6FROolvo

if i was the GSXR rider i'd be very pissed at the yuppie idiot with the bmw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005
Sorry, sagebrush. I wasn't being critical of you at all if that was your impression of my reply. Going slow is fine and preferred IMO in a crowded setting.

Canyon roads aren't really the place to learn or push your limits. Someone overcooking an outside corner is just as likely to overcook an inside corner later.

gently caress anyone that crosses a dividing line on a canyon road without first getting a wave by or doing it in a place that the leading bike has ample time to see you coming. I wish the worst on anyone who does it in a blind corner.