Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

raminasi posted:

You were intentionally misinterpreting what was posted? Or you thought you’d just get some sort of lazy dunk in? I’m not following.

Is the concept of mockery foreign to you? It was a lovely way to say what they were trying to say, so I made fun of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Is the concept of mockery foreign to you? It was a lovely way to say what they were trying to say, so I made fun of it.

Generally I'd mock somebody over something that was there or was implied rather than something that I randomly added in afterwards.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Skyscraper posted:

Generally I'd mock somebody over something that was there or was implied rather than something that I randomly added in afterwards.

I added nothing. You said yourself you could see it in the post.

revolther
May 27, 2008
What are the downsides of fanciful laws that say you can only own one home per voting age adult or something? Married couples with the means could have a summer home. Businesses could apply for permits to expand, but other than that, why not a law that just says people can't sit on land they aren't using? In a theoretical "all attempts to fix problems aren't blocked by money interests" type of world I mean. Let banks keep playing with stocks and theoretical money, roll property loans and finances into BLM or some new department that has an interest in urban development for the sake of increasing availability and living quality for everyone, which would probably lead to more taxable income being poured into economies all around?

I'm an idiot idealist though, so maybe it's obvious that like feudalism would inherently pop up or something and I'm just missing it; but that's kinda what life feels like already for a lot of folks.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
What exactly stops people from setting up a LLC to own more than one property, and what makes you think unused land (or at least land that is unused due to deliberate inaction by the owner) is contributing to a lack of housing in CA?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I added nothing. You said yourself you could see it in the post.
Most people don't see "your diction is indicative of counter-revolutionary thought" as a serious criticism of someone's ideas.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

revolther posted:

What are the downsides of fanciful laws that say you can only own one home per voting age adult or something?
That seems really arbitrary and people with money are probably going to find ways around it. Having high property tax for non-owner occupied property sounds much simpler and will actually help fund local services.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Dead Reckoning posted:

Most people don't see "your diction is indicative of counter-revolutionary thought" as a serious criticism of someone's ideas.

Me neither. Good to see you back DR /s

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
While we're all talking about Prop 13 and how it applies to Grandma's beach house it's worth mentioning it also applies to Grandma Corporation's beachside gold course.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Me neither. Good to see you back DR /s

When you saw only one set of shitposts on your monitor, it was then that I carried you.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

An initiative to split California into 3 states has enough signatures to be on the ballot this November

https://www.westernjournal.com/breaking-referendum-to-split-calif-into-3-states-will-be-on-ballot/

This is a scaled down version of Tim Draper's "6 Californias" initiative he's been pushing for years.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol this is going to get like 15% yes votes

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So LA would still just be regular California and everyone else has to change their poo poo? Alright.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

dammit i don't want orange county in my new state

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

It’s gonna be awesome when one catches fire and the other two go, “nah.”

What is it and rural people complaining about the “cities telling the people what to do”? The cities ARE the people you small fraction morons!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

FCKGW posted:

Saw it off into the Pacific ocean with the hopes that it someday crashes into a sawed off Florida somewhere around the Indian Ocean.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FCKGW posted:

We can save Disneyland, but Los Alamitos through the rest of the OC will have to become a wildlife wetlands / water reserve.

Ih, save SanTana, too.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Wouldn't this map just actually give Dems a greater advantage in Congress from the 2 Blue States/Swing State that prob will go Blue more likely than not? I don't see it really changing representatives so this really is a dumb idea.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

They would likely redraw districts into varicose veins of 51% red

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Is Valley Clean Energy (valleycleanenergy.org) a good or bad thing? I just heard about it today and it seems odd... anybody have other info other than what’s on their website?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

HelloSailorSign posted:

Is Valley Clean Energy (valleycleanenergy.org) a good or bad thing? I just heard about it today and it seems odd... anybody have other info other than what’s on their website?

It sounds like a CCA. CCAs are Community Choice Aggregation, they are a nonprofit set up at the municipal, county, or regional level. They pool all of the investor-owned utility accounts for their region then negotiate power purchasing from power plants, wind farms, etc. directly, the deals are passed on to the utility who continue to deliver your electricity. Because it's a nonprofit government agency, they aren't making any kind of markup on the generation side so there's a savings there, plus the utilities are generally locked into pretty long contracts for a good portion of their power and the reduction in electricity rates for green energy sources over the last decade or so mean that utilities are actually paying above the current market rate on a lot of old wind and solar etc. contracts. Generally it's about 3 cents/kWh savings that the CCAs are making. The utilities convinced the CPUC that they have a right to the profit they had expected to make off of their monopoly status, so some of the savings is lost to that, the rest of the savings is spent on increasing the % green energy that you're receiving. So far they are all set up in this manner where you pay the exact same rates in the end and the utility makes the same profit they had been planning on making, but the total energy mix delivered is slightly more green.

CCAs currently exist in Humbolt, Mendocino, Placer, Sonoma, Napa, Marin, Contra Costa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, San Benito, Monterey, and Los Angeles counties and a bunch more are in the process of setting them up.

edit: they get more complicated if you have solar.

Edit 2: also, because they are set up by your local government, they are almost always opt out instead of opt in, so you will get switched over at some point unless you opt out in advance

fermun fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Apr 13, 2018

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
So the newest wrinkle in my house-hunting saga is competitors making offers with no contingencies. Not only are people buying up houses at inflated prices, but they're doing so without any contingencies on the offer. No inspection, no appraisal, no loan contingency. Then the seller turns to us to see if we'll match and of course we can't.

Already missed out on two nice homes this way in the last few weeks.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

So the newest wrinkle in my house-hunting saga is competitors making offers with no contingencies. Not only are people buying up houses at inflated prices, but they're doing so without any contingencies on the offer. No inspection, no appraisal, no loan contingency. Then the seller turns to us to see if we'll match and of course we can't.

Already missed out on two nice homes this way in the last few weeks.

Yeah stay away from any bidding war like that.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

As I get older I do feel a bit more tax weary living in this state. I missed the Sac area discussion two weeks ago but yeah my rent's going up $100 each year and that's nuts. If I ever intended to start a family I'd peace the gently caress of CA. Like, it'd be silly to do that on less than 100k income unless I go to Fresno or something.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

As I get older I do feel a bit more tax weary living in this state. I missed the Sac area discussion two weeks ago but yeah my rent's going up $100 each year and that's nuts. If I ever intended to start a family I'd peace the gently caress of CA. Like, it'd be silly to do that on less than 100k income unless I go to Fresno or something.

What does that have to do with taxes?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

SB 827 just died in committee.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gret posted:

SB 827 just died in committee.

Balls.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

That hearing was excruciating to watch. drat near every committee member gave a long statement about how they recognize that we're in a housing crisis and that the bill would go far to help, and then proceeded to vote no. One senator said that one of his towns doesn't have a fire ladder that's tall enough for 5 story buildings ("that's a real issue"), and another said that density doesn't bring down rental prices because hey look at Manhattan.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Population density is a good thing you ding dongs.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

acksplode posted:

That hearing was excruciating to watch. drat near every committee member gave a long statement about how they recognize that we're in a housing crisis and that the bill would go far to help, and then proceeded to vote no. One senator said that one of his towns doesn't have a fire ladder that's tall enough for 5 story buildings ("that's a real issue"), and another said that density doesn't bring down rental prices because hey look at Manhattan.

loving shameful. guillotine.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
That really sucks, but I'm sure Wiener will keep trying in one form or another.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Can someone post the roll call? I suck at finding these things

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

From what I can gather, two GOP members: Gaines and Morrell, and two of the principle co-authors of the bill: Weiner and Skinner, voted yes. The rest of the committee voted no or abstained.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

It'll be here, whenever the site updates:

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billVotesClient.xhtml?bill_id=201720180SB827

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

I’m highly pessimistic anything like it will ever pass. Too many people are horrified at the thought of California urbanizing, especially old people who moved here for the sunshine and to get away from the east coast bustle decades ago.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
In some better news at least Tom Steyer expressed his preference for Kevin de Leon over Feinstein. Maybe Feinstein's money advantage will be lessened slightly.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-ca-essential-politics-updates-billionaire-democratic-activist-tom-1524022673-htmlstory.html

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I would be shocked if Steyer actually did something useful with his money instead of buying ads in Times Square or whatever.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Welp time to give Senator Beall a call. I’d like to know why he voted nay when he represents a district undergoing some of the worst housing woes in the country

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Welp time to give Senator Beall a call. I’d like to know why he voted nay when he represents a district undergoing some of the worst housing woes in the country

"He couldn't support the bill in it's current form, [but] he was eager to work on something like it in the months ahead."

:downs:

I voted for Beal specifically because he's been a huge champion of building out public transit and roads in the past, and hoped he'd be smart enough for that to translate into advocacy for new housing. Guess not though!

e. Here's some good (if brief) analysis of who voted which way and why. My favorite is Senator Cannella who voted against the measure even though it would affect her district thusly:

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

FCKGW posted:

What does that have to do with taxes?

It was a poorly written paragraph. Just meant taxes and housing costs combined are reason enough to leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
827 Didn't have the support of basically any of the people you'd want to support.

I didn't read the whole thing but I assume that's what allowed skittish Dems to kill it so quick.