Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

mastershakeman posted:

just checked and Meredith had the most receiving yards of any player under fox in one season (alshon kept getting hurt). I don't get why Pace is so obsessed with overpaying other teams backups and not his own guys

Pace does what he does because he is a bad GM who does not understand how to build a successful team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
the bears will continue to be poo poo for years and it owns

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm fine if Pace didn't like Meredith for some reason. But for a million more on the tender they would have gotten a 2nd round pick for losing him. The Bears also have a ton of cap space still so it's not like that extra million would have hurt this season. And hell, Cameron Meredith for $2.9 million is a loving bargain.

sweet geek swag posted:

Pace does what he does because he is a bad GM who does not understand how to build a successful team.

It's amazing that he took over a really bad team and kept them bad for 3 years and the Bears couldn't wait to give him an extension. At least they realized Emery was a turd sort of quick.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sataere posted:

But he gives players the chance to determine their market, which I suspect they'd appreciate.

It's pretty silly if that's what he does

Brad Biggs of the Tribune has confirmed on multiple occasions that this is the case.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The weird thing is the Bears keep telling the media that the reason they didn't put a higher tender or match is they are concerned that Meredith tore his ACL last year. But so did Allen Robinson. In fact, Meredith's came I think a month earlier than Robinson.

Just seems like they misread the market completely yet again.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Niwrad posted:

The weird thing is the Bears keep telling the media that the reason they didn't put a higher tender or match is they are concerned that Meredith tore his ACL last year. But so did Allen Robinson. In fact, Meredith's came I think a month earlier than Robinson.

yeah it's total nonsense. if you're concerned about his knee, you don't give him 2m, you give him 0. if you aren't concerned just like you aren't about AR15 (who got a ton of money) you give him 3. they chose the worst possible option

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

I still think you guys are overreacting a bit. Cameron Meredith was the best receiver the Bears had under John Fox, but that doesn't necessarily make him good. This is still based off of one year.

And just because they are fine with one injury, doesn't mean they should be fine with all identical injuries. They're medical staff had access, so maybe they had good reason.

Timby posted:

Brad Biggs of the Tribune has confirmed on multiple occasions that this is the case.

I don't like this. I can see how it can create good will, but I think it's wishy-washy.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Meredith shredded his ACL and MCL.
His Knee loving exploded
And he was with the Bears while rehabbing.
Then again I would have kept him.

Shrug.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 12, 2018

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Dubious posted:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Dubious posted:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Dubious posted:

:yeah:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

packer fans here are shook because they see the coming Trubinsky Era

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pretty much expected by everyone

https://twitter.com/TomSilverstein/status/984506896819392512?s=19

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

I still think you guys are overreacting a bit. Cameron Meredith was the best receiver the Bears had under John Fox, but that doesn't necessarily make him good. This is still based off of one year.

And just because they are fine with one injury, doesn't mean they should be fine with all identical injuries. They're medical staff had access, so maybe they had good reason.

It's not that I think they should have matched. I think they should have added the extra million to the tender so they would get a 2nd round pick in return when they lost him. Would it really be a big deal if the team paid him $2.9 million next year instead of $1.9 million? This isn't a team that's going to be right up against the cap. Seems worth the flyer for a 25-year old who looked pretty good when he played.

Remember that Ryan Pace paid Victor Cruz, a 30-year old who had an even worse knee injury than Meredith, $1.5 million to play some preseason games.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
to continue my hatred of ryan pace/kevin white, top 10 draft picks from merger to 2016, sorted by AV

im sure kevin white will put together a mediocre season and get his AV all the way up to charles rogers' level

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 13, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Good Lord, Jamal Reynolds was trash and I'm still nervous about drafting a pass rusher high because of him.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX/status/984828706089611264?s=19

Ryan Pace: Keikaku doori

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

R.D. Mangles posted:

packer fans here are shook because they see the coming Trubinsky Era

I've never said anything other than this. Future HOF QB Trubisky. Elite.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

nerve posted:

I've never said anything other than this. Future HOF QB Trubisky. Elite.

so serious in your conviction that you can't even spell his name right? gently caress outta here

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Trubs looked just fine for a rookie QB on a not-very-good team. At least the Bears have the comfort of knowing that they've got a guy there and now they can focus on actually being good.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Play posted:

Trubs looked just fine for a rookie QB on a not-very-good team. At least the Bears have the comfort of knowing that they've got a guy there and now they can focus on actually being good.

too bad the same GM that drafted Trubs also made sure to get rid of his best WR and keep a horrible coach so as to waste an entire season of development. i guess it helped Pace make the argument that he needed an extension because maybe Trubs is good!you never know!!

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 13, 2018

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

mastershakeman posted:

WELL ACTUALLY
________/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

look we all love kissing titties , sometimes they just happen to be my own

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

so serious in your conviction that you can't even spell his name right? gently caress outta here

Busted me.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Niwrad posted:

It's not that I think they should have matched. I think they should have added the extra million to the tender so they would get a 2nd round pick in return when they lost him. Would it really be a big deal if the team paid him $2.9 million next year instead of $1.9 million? This isn't a team that's going to be right up against the cap. Seems worth the flyer for a 25-year old who looked pretty good when he played.

Remember that Ryan Pace paid Victor Cruz, a 30-year old who had an even worse knee injury than Meredith, $1.5 million to play some preseason games.

Victor Cruz didn't get paid though? He was cut before the season began....

And maybe they didn't think he was worth $3 million? I'm not sure I think he is. The second round tender ensures he's a Bear next year. The fact that it wasn't used tells you what they think of him.

I know it's just one million dollars, but that money can be put elsewhere.

I liked Meredith, but there are way better reasons to blast Pace for than this.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sataere posted:

Victor Cruz didn't get paid though? He was cut before the season began....

$1.5 million of his deal was guaranteed. So he made $1.5 million to play some preseason games.

Sataere posted:

And maybe they didn't think he was worth $3 million? I'm not sure I think he is. The second round tender ensures he's a Bear next year. The fact that it wasn't used tells you what they think of him.

I know it's just one million dollars, but that money can be put elsewhere.

They aren't going to be near the cap this year. So it's really just a matter of whether you'd want Cameron Meredith on your team or the McCaskey's to have an extra million in their bank account. Maybe his knee is hosed up (and Allen Robinson's is not?), but he's a 25-year old receiver who showed a lot of promise. Probably worth the flyer.

The reason I bring up Cruz is because Pace has been willing to take flyers on guys. Cruz had a much worse knee injury that he was unlikely to ever fully come back from (especially at his age). Just seems weird his approach would change with Meredith, a younger more talented player.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah the issue is there's no rhyme or reason to Pace's moves, they're haphazard as hell.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

My personal boycott of the Bears until the McCaskeys are completely out of power looking smarter all the time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears replaced cam meredith with a madden create-a-player named "bennie fowler" mitch has weapons

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

R.D. Mangles posted:

the bears replaced cam meredith with a madden create-a-player named "bennie fowler" mitch has weapons

Yes when I create a player in Madden I hope he reaches greatness with 200 average yards a season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

championship pedigree

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

When the Lions won their games with Caldwell, we had a golden age of LIONS BITCH gifs.

Now, it just won't be the same with Mat Patricia. Giving personality to someone who has personality just isnt the same.

(But really we're going to lose a lot because its the Detroit Lions)

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/985921694266200065

5 years 50 million, 25 guaranteed

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
dang, a lot more than i was expecting per year.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I remember really wanting Kendricks in the draft in 2015, and we got Randall instead.

After reviewing some mock drafts from 2015...

Walter Football

quote:

The Packers will be extremely fortunate if Eric Kendricks drops to them at No. 30. Kendricks, the top inside linebacker in this class by a wide margin, would fill a huge need, as he would allow Clay Matthews to play on the edge in 2015. Kendricks is off the board in this update, however, but that won't prevent the Packers from addressing their biggest hole.
1. Eric Kendricks, ILB - I'll be shocked if Kendricks falls to No. 30 and isn't the pick.

SB Nation

quote:

30. Green Bay Packers: Eric Kendricks, ILB, UCLA
The only other team with 15 percent of picks being the top choice is Kansas City. For Green Bay, this shouldn’t be a surprise considering how close to the vest general manager Ted Thompson keeps things. With a tie between Kendricks and Connecticut cornerback Byron Jones, I opted for the more pro-ready UCLA linebacker.

CBS Sports

quote:

30. Green Bay Packers: Eric Kendricks, ILB, UCLA -- The Packers don't care about alignment … they just need an upgrade at inside linebacker in the worst way. Kendricks is a smart, smooth defender who's always near the football and has adequate coverage skills.

To be fair, we probably would have wasted him in Capers' scheme. Hell, we may have wasted Randall, who could shine if he plays FS. But looking back at the last few drafts, it may have been a good time to move on from TT.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The schedule is released tomorrow yeah? Because if the Lions are at home on the Sunday before Thanksgiving, I'll be heading out to Detroit to experience terrible football and a proper winter

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
bears packers Thursday night game of Thanksgiving, woop dee doo

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 19, 2018

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm just glad the Lions don't have to play at Lambeau in December because that never loving ends well.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the last bears/packers thanksgiving game was the only good thing jay cutler has ever done in his life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

R.D. Mangles posted:

the last bears/packers thanksgiving game was the only good thing jay cutler has ever done in his life

I was so so so confident that the Packers would buzzsaw the Bears on Thanksgiving in 2015. I was really looking forward to that match. Man, the Bears.

• Locked thread