Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

we actually need them

Only under capitalism :thermidor:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Monthly Duck checkin;-

So I just tried Oporto last night.

Heres my conclusion: Nandos supremacy.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

duck monster posted:

Monthly Duck checkin;-

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Yes yes everything is grey and nothing is good or bad. The massive sectarian war consuming the middle east is fine. Groups like Boko Haram, Al Shabaab, and Jabhat Al Nusra? Nothing to worry about. Saudi Arabia's sectarian war on Yemen is not remarkable you will find catholics doing the same thing in uhhhhhh

Amethyst posted:

Agreed, experiences exist on a binary good/bad axis and nothing else matters. Anyone who claims to have a varied and textured existence is basically being a snob.

:allears:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

hi im hooman i have never heard of sarcasm

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Nandos > Oportos

Most things > Oportos

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/LucyXIV/status/984630121012211713

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

bell jar posted:

hi im hooman i have never heard of sarcasm

Hi, I'm belljar and I've entirely missed the point.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hooman posted:

Hi, I'm belljar and I've entirely missed the point.

hi belljar im dad

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Birdstrike posted:

hi belljar im dad

My favourite joke:

I'll never forget the last words I said to my son.

"Hi dying, I'm Dad"

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

It’s ridiculous to force owners to upgrade their properties to meet retrospective energy efficiency standards, the cost would be prohibitive in many of the older paper thin houses in inner Canberra, either further reducing the supply of free standing housing available in the rental market, or, most definitely increase rents. Rental investment is indeed a business, however not a charity, owners would be forced to make tough business decisions to assess the viability of their investment. With skyrocketing land tax and the costs associated with retrofitting an old shonky house without the prospect of increasing rents to offset the expenses most business owners would make the decision that it was no longer a wise investment. Rental stock would dwindle forcing rent up, renters to live in apartments or on the city’s fringes where newer houses have better energy efficiency. We live in one of these paper thin houses, where the temperature inside is the same as it is outside! But it would be inconceivable to waste money trying to improve this house that was so poorly designed from the beginning. But we wanted to live in a house, in this area, and we had to start somewhere. We prioritised saving over holidays, eating out and shopping, and finally got our foot in the door in this delightful house. We can’t afford everything we want at once, we will make do in this house, freeze and boil through another few Canberra seasons until we can afford to do something about it. Why should renters be any different, they can’t have their cake and eat it too. Save, buy, or accept some of the negatives that come with renting. The fact is landlords aren’t evil rich corporations and we actually need them to provide houses for people to live in.

Retroactive changes to standards for something as difficult to upgrade in place as a house sounds like a terrible idea to me. I'd rather see it handled by requiring ads for rentals to include energy efficiency information (as is already done for house sales in the ACT). That way tenants could include likely energy costs in their budget and landlords could update when it makes sense to do so based on the cost of the upgrade vs the difference in market rents for more energy efficient houses.

That said the quoted post uses the worst justification and whiniest tone to argue against a thing that I am also against.

Also my idea probably wouldn't work as well as I describe because destitute tenants can't save up for a bigger bond and would be forced to take the crappy low rent places even though their overall expenses will be higher in the long run.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://www.smh.com.au/national/australia-takes-from-the-poor-to-give-to-the-rich-20180404-p4z7sn.html

quote:

Each year, a staggering $68 billion is spent keeping the wealthiest households wealthy.

nothing to see here

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

It’s ridiculous to force owners to upgrade their properties to meet retrospective energy efficiency standards, the cost would be prohibitive in many of the older paper thin houses in inner Canberra, either further reducing the supply of free standing housing available in the rental market, or, most definitely increase rents. Rental investment is indeed a business, however not a charity, owners would be forced to make tough business decisions to assess the viability of their investment. With skyrocketing land tax and the costs associated with retrofitting an old shonky house without the prospect of increasing rents to offset the expenses most business owners would make the decision that it was no longer a wise investment. Rental stock would dwindle forcing rent up, renters to live in apartments or on the city’s fringes where newer houses have better energy efficiency. We live in one of these paper thin houses, where the temperature inside is the same as it is outside! But it would be inconceivable to waste money trying to improve this house that was so poorly designed from the beginning. But we wanted to live in a house, in this area, and we had to start somewhere. We prioritised saving over holidays, eating out and shopping, and finally got our foot in the door in this delightful house. We can’t afford everything we want at once, we will make do in this house, freeze and boil through another few Canberra seasons until we can afford to do something about it. Why should renters be any different, they can’t have their cake and eat it too. Save, buy, or accept some of the negatives that come with renting. The fact is landlords aren’t evil rich corporations and we actually need them to provide houses for people to live in.

Source your scrotes

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

JBP posted:

I did it this morning:

"Your cultural tastes are most similar to a middle class woman, aged 40-59 with a postgraduate education."

It doesn't work good though because it doesn't ask what indulgences you enjoy ironically and also lists a large number of Australia authors. No one wants to read that boring poo poo.

I got that too and it was so dumb. It asks you how many Australian authors you read and then moves straight on. Spoiler alert Australian authors are crap. Also when it asks how many book reviews you read. Uh, none? I read the book?

For actual thread content, the Salvation Army have lost funding with Westcare, their service that provides housing for vulnerable teens, being stripped of its contract on account of those teens who got molested and OD'd and died.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
That's pretty big news actually! Glad there's some consequences for their poo poo management

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

duck monster posted:

Monthly Duck checkin;-

GoldStandardConure posted:

Nandos > Oportos

Most things > Oportos

Hell no

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
They're both awful.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

fite me irl fucko

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Meat Is Murder.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Zenithe posted:

Meat Is Delicious.

oporto and nandos both suck though

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

duck monster posted:

Monthly Duck checkin;-

Ogalo > *

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Why not just put a minimum standard on rental properties with a grandfather clause. Any new rental properties or rental agreements require the house to meet certain energy standards. Those shittier, older houses will sell for less to flip flop renovators and the government can use it's negative gearing as it was actually intended, to increase housing stock. Those people renting in outdated houses can negotiate to have their rent dropped to pay for their increased utility bills, because if they end the agreement the landlord won't be able to rent the property out anymore.

We don't let shops sell bad chicken. We don't let car dealers sell cars with deadly defects. Why should we let slumlords exist? If you're selling/renting out a product, make sure it is up to standard of gently caress off. Why should the Australian public care about how much you suffered to afford a poo poo hole just to rent it out to people?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Statement released about the arrests at the commonwealth games protest.

https://twitter.com/IndigenousX/status/984642470829965313

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Hang on, isn't this literally illegal?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

psh, good luck finding anglo-saxons outside of 9th century britain

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

:eyepop: is that even legal?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Aesculus posted:

Hang on, isn't this literally illegal?

Yes

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's the same as advertising for Chinese staff at phone shops in Box Hill.

e: imagine being dumb enough to write it on the ad in English and put it online though. You just throw the Indian applications in the bin as you get them.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 13, 2018

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

JBP posted:

It's the same as advertising for Chinese staff at phone shops in Box Hill.

e: imagine being dumb enough to write it on the ad in English and put it online though. You just throw the Indian applications in the bin as you get them.

I was gonna come here and post this but you can discriminate on whether people speak a certain language, but not what race people are, so its a slight difference (same effect)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

JBP posted:

Also this is Optus. How many people would this have to been seen by that none of them thought "yeah nah"

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I believe the preferred description is "good English skills"

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Zenithe posted:

Also this is Optus. How many people would this have to been seen by that none of them thought "yeah nah"

probably not that many. if they are anything like telstra then their retail arm operates more like a franchise than anything

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Zenithe posted:

Optus shops aren't run by Optus or overseen by Optus in most cases and there is always a one word line of discrimination (no idea what official Optus shops call themselves now). This is a small business running a franchise like 90% of phone retail.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

When I used to advertise for staff at the phone shop I worked for during uni I'd ask the boss what to write and he would always reply "blonde, 5'10", big tits" so I made sure the ad would always specify that people with bubbly and outgoing personalities should scramble to apply.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

it's shockingly easy to put discriminatory codewords in job ads and pass them off as legitimate requirements

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Anyone post this startling revelation?

Richest private schools get payments from $7m government 'slush fund'

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/richest-private-schools-get-payments-from-7m-government-slush-fund-20180412-p4z94f.html

quote:

Many of the country’s wealthiest private schools are receiving bonus payments from a secretive fund the Turnbull government claims is necessary to help schools transition to its Gonski 2.0 funding model.
On Sydney’s north shore alone, Loreto Kirribilli, St Aloysius’ College and St Ignatius' Riverview are among the 102 independent schools – most of them in NSW - receiving top-up payments from the $7.1 million pool in 2018.
From next year, these schools will also be able to claim extra money from the Commonwealth under the so-called National Adjustment Assistance Fund for historically overfunded schools that “may find it unreasonably hard to adjust” to the Gonski 2.0 arrangements.

The payments come on top of the annual per-student funding doled out by Canberra to private schools.
That is despite these schools being overfunded already, receiving up to 192 per cent of their fair share from Canberra when the target for private schools is 80 per cent (with 20 per cent from the states).
The president of the Australian Education Union, Correna Haythorpe, branded the pot of money a “slush fund” and accused Education Minister Simon Birmingham of striking a secret “special deal” to prop up already-wealthy private schools.

Documents obtained by the union under freedom of information laws reveal 64 of the 102 schools to receive additional funding in 2018 are in NSW, including the elite eastern suburbs schools of Ascham, Kambala and Kincoppal Rose Bay. Victorian schools include the overfunded Melbourne Grammar, Haileybury College and Melbourne Girls’ Grammar.
Although the Department of Education provided the names of schools receiving money from the fund in 2018, it would not say how much extra each school received. In answer to an FOI request, the department claimed it “does not currently have this information”.

In total, private schools will enjoy $47.4 million in additional federal payments in 2018. Of that, $7.1 million will flow directly to selected independent schools ($5.9 million in NSW) plus an extra $36.7 million for Catholic schools and $3.6 million for systemic independent schools.

Senator Birmingham has said the $7.1 million in extra assistance was agreed during negotiations with the school sectors over the Gonski 2.0 legislation and helps schools whose normal funding growth is less than 3 per cent in 2018. The Education Department has described them as "low indexation schools".

A handful of the schools - including Loreto, St Aloysius' and Monte Sant' Angelo - are among the 24 schools the government said would have actual reductions to their funding in 2018. But the additional assistance makes it unclear whether their total federal funding will actually fall.

The FOI documents show Loreto Kirribilli - one of the country's most over-funded schools - will receive $6.6 million in Commonwealth recurrent funding in 2018, or 191.9 per cent of its fair share, plus its top-up payment. St Aloysius' and Monte Sant' Angelo will both receive more than $6.15 million, plus top-up funds.

Ms Haythorpe blasted the "special deal" for private schools, referring to Senator Birmingham's oft-repeated declaration that Gonski 2.0 would remove the special deals put in place by Labor.
“It’s ironic that Simon Birmingham talks about not having special deals in place but at the same time he negotiated a range of special deals that have seriously advantaged the independent sector,” she told Fairfax Media.
“The reality is that having a slush fund which advantages the private sector is quite offensive given the great need for the public sector – the vast majority of our schools – 87 per cent of which will not reach the benchmark for funding by 2023.”
While the 2018 payments are a one-off, from 2019 to 2027 the $40 million National Adjustment Assistance Fund will be used to boost payments to private schools which have "low and negative growth" in funding under Gonski 2.0.
The guidelines explain some schools "may find it unreasonably hard to adjust to the change" and estimate that 30 non-systemic independent schools will be deemed eligible for the fund.

School funding will be back on the agenda at a meeting of the country's education ministers in Adelaide on Friday, following weeks of furore from the Catholic sector (particularly in Victoria) over perceived inequities in the funding model.
The Education Council will also hear from Chief Scientist Alan Finkel on improving links with the science, technology, engineering and mathematics industries, and discuss a demand from some states to review the NAPLAN literacy and numeracy exams.
The Independent Schools Council of Australia declined to comment.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Sydney's light rail extension is going to cost more and finish years later than expected. The company subcontracted for construction says they weren't told how much stuff was under the roads, or where, and they're suing the state. The brand-new rail line between Epping and Chatswood is going to be shut down for a year, replaced by buses, to convert it for "metro" cars. The government is intent on moving the Powerhouse Museum, built for purpose only thirty years ago, to Parramatta despite the (smaller) site being on a flood plain that'll threaten the exhibits, such as the steam engine, spacecraft and locomotives, unless they've placed far above ground level. The business case will be released after a government MP crossed the floor on a Greens motion to make it public

The government gave up on knocking down and rebuilding the 2000 Olympic stadium

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

JBP posted:

When I used to advertise for staff at the phone shop I worked for during uni I'd ask the boss what to write and he would always reply "blonde, 5'10", big tits" so I made sure the ad would always specify that people with bubbly and outgoing personalities should scramble to apply.

Gross, dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He was only joking but women statistically sold more personal contracts by miles.

• Locked thread