Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I loved IBO, and I still fully agree with everything here.

I second this. I'm a fan of the series and even there that's...frighteningly accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I would take any and all of those voices over G-Reco violently making GBS threads into a microphone.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

G-reco is good actually.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
G-Reco was the best gundam series since Turn-A.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

G-Reco was the best gundam series since Turn-A.

QFT

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

G reco was fantastic. It knew how to tell a story that was serious without spewing garbage melodrama at you every five minutes. And despite it having a fight in every episode it's fight direction shits all over ibos.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

G Reco has serious problems but actually feels like someone trying to tell a story whereas most recent Gundam devolves into

A) Wanting to retell Gundam cliches straightface
B) Wanting to be a metacommentary on Gundam cliches.

Not that G-Reco escapes that entirely but holy poo poo am I tired of Gundam being about Gundam. Even IBO falls into this trap.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If we're going strictly on TV series about giant robots, the only good Gundam TV series since 00 S1 has been IBO.

G-Reco is just the most blatant about being absolutely irredeemable trash, and didn't even have cool mech design or kits to go along with it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

If we're going strictly on TV series about giant robots, the only good Gundam TV series since 00 S1 has been IBO.

G-Reco is just the most blatant about being absolutely irredeemable trash, and didn't even have cool mech design or kits to go along with it.

Actually, G-Reco was good AND had amazing mech design. Look at this scrub who doesn't like the Grimoire or the Montero.

Edit: I knew G-Reco was great and that people would hate it the moment it cut away from Bellri's explanation of how the world work to show mecha fighting and then when it cut back to him he got punched in the face.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You're right, instead of cutting away to a giant robot fight they should've maybe had some character moments and worldbuilding, and they could've focused on a cast who weren't idiots so maybe there was someone likeable.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You're right, instead of cutting away to a giant robot fight they should've maybe had some character moments and worldbuilding, and they could've focused on a cast who weren't idiots so maybe there was someone likeable.

You keep saying stuff like that, except I saw the series and you're wrong about everything?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You can criticize G-Reco for a lot but it had a loving shitload of world building and character moments. If anything it had too much of that and probably should have trimmed it down to tell a more cohesive story.

Also any change to G-Reco that would remove Klim Nick, The Actual Best Gundam Character, is a change for the worst.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

And I saw the series and it's way worse than I'm making it out to be.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I never finished the series and while the pacing is undeniably kind of funky, it didn't really seem like something to inspire disdain.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I enjoyed watching G-Reco week to week, and there were some moments that landed better than others for me. I'd say IBO had me hooked overall, whereas most of the fun for G-Reco was "well, I know what SHOULD happen in this episode, but let's how the gently caress these kids get there."

I enjoyed G-Reco's mech designs way more than IBO's, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

I enjoyed watching G-Reco week to week, and there were some moments that landed better than others for me. I'd say IBO had me hooked overall, whereas most of the fun for G-Reco was "well, I know what SHOULD happen in this episode, but let's how the gently caress these kids get there."

I enjoyed G-Reco's mech designs way more than IBO's, though.

I hope we get more G-Reco designs in Build Divers than just the Grimoire, because most of them are pretty cool :allears:.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Motto posted:

I never finished the series and while the pacing is undeniably kind of funky, it didn't really seem like something to inspire disdain.

Yeah same. I'm not getting where the intense hate is coming from.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a weird love for the G-Self Gundam, it’s a neat looking dude. Wish it had a MG kit.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I disliked G-Reco as it was airing, but its popped into my head far too often since then for me to believe it must be as bad as I thought it was.

I feel the same way sometimes about Destiny, in all honesty.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 13, 2018

Caros
May 14, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Hey, I loving despise G-Reco as much as anyone, but lets not pretend that AGE didn't exist.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I get annoyed when people defend reco with "It's tomino as gently caress" when most of us have watched tomino stuff and had little problem for the most part

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Sorry to barge in on the discussion, but GundamInfo just uploaded the F91 movie on their channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvQj8-mN3yQ

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Like Tomino as gently caress isn't even fair, because Tomino has actually done good things. GReco's characters felt alien, rather than just weird but human. AGE was better but it's like comparing a pile of bird poop to a pile of bird poop that has a curly fry sticking out of it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anybody who finds ibo's characters to be well realized but thinks g reco's are alien are certifiably insane. The characters in reco are humans who've grown up in a different cultural context. The guys in ibo are what people who've never been within the same time zone as a warzone thinks child soldiers are. Don't get me started on harem gangster.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

I get annoyed when people defend reco with "It's tomino as gently caress" when most of us have watched tomino stuff and had little problem for the most part

The implication of that phrase is that it’s all of Tomino’s stranger tendencies unleashed without editorial control.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Naze is no more exploitative than any other boss in the show, including Orga. People are just mad because he fucks.

He makes a compelling aspiration figure for a crew of teenage virgins whose most-wordly member is the guy who knows you can pay for sex.

The dodgiest (explicit) thing about him is the Lafter situation as season two makes her really young when she's taken in, so while he may have only taken what was "offered freely" by the women that's not going to be informed consent. Her feelings for Akihiko are clearly different to those for her husband, although she seems to enjoy her wifely duties, so... Yeah Naze is a scumbag I can't imagine anyone was upset he got fridged to motivate Orga.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I hope we get more G-Reco designs in Build Divers than just the Grimoire, because most of them are pretty cool :allears:.

:yeah:

I'd kill to see a custom Hecate, since that'd be an excuse for Bandai to actually give us a HG of the thing. :argh:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The characters in G-Reco are perfectly human and understandable. They don't work according to anime logic but act like humans, which I guess is incomprehensible to people here.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Anybody who finds ibo's characters to be well realized but thinks g reco's are alien are certifiably insane. The characters in reco are humans who've grown up in a different cultural context. The guys in ibo are what people who've never been within the same time zone as a warzone thinks child soldiers are. Don't get me started on harem gangster.

Tomino did people from a culture with no real experience with war in Turn A, though, and they're much, much more... understandable.

Sure, Lt. Yanny going into a barrel to float back down to Earth is stupid as hell, but in the context of the information he has, and how he approaches things (and him being drunk as a lord), it makes sense. When people say Turn A does people like people, they point to evidence.

When people do the same thing for G-Reco, it mostly seems to be used as an excuse to feel superior.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The cultural context in the two shows is completely different. The earthlings in turn a have experience in war. It's that they're utterly eclipsed technologically by the moonrace.

The amerians in reco are constantly at war with others over the limited resources and are very aware that they've been held back technologically by the capital. The capital forces, and Venus globe are more "innocent" but their war fever is as much a reaction to the collapse of a system that had been going on for God knows how long suddenly breaking down and the people in charge making rasher and rasher decisions to capitalize on the collapse.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If I thought IBO was great and adore Wing what's the closest thing to watch next?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

sassassin posted:

If I thought IBO was great and adore Wing what's the closest thing to watch next?

00 Probably, it's quite Wing-similar. Be aware it gets worse in the second season though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

sassassin posted:

00, probably. Just be aware the first season is by far the best part of the series and it only gets worse afterwards.

Edit: post above this one was made by Lockon, that's some impressive sniping.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I wish I was as pretty as Lockon.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

The excuse of 'these are people who have never seen war' only takes the show so far though.

It's silly enough in the first half of the show where the lead character doesn't seem to know what death is, judging by his reaction to willingly murdering his former comrades, but it gets to he absurd as the show ends.

The perfect summary of everything wrong G-Reco is one of the last scenes, where Klim Nick's dad is holding a public rally in the hopes of going back to war. All parties involved have finally managed a tenuous cease fire after tearing each other to pieces.

Then Klim Nick grabs the helm of the crescent ship and rams the rally.

From the point of view of the people on the ground, the foreign power that they were at war with mere days earlier just 9/11'd their commander in chief by plowing the ship through the middle of a political rally. Huge property damage, probably hundreds killed.

The show treats this as a joke. Various characters who just got through dealing with a harrowing, life changing war all laugh it off as klim being silly.

G-reco's characters are inconsistent and terribly written. They often do not act with motivations that are even remotely human, an issue which goes far and above beyond just being naive or even truly alien.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

It’s hard to take your rambling seriously when all you do is summarize what happens in an angry voice and then say that it’s bad.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

The implication of that phrase is that it’s all of Tomino’s stranger tendencies unleashed without editorial control.

This is a thing weird people do with Hideo Kojima do too. They determine how much editorial control a thing had with how much they liked it. They liked MGS3, so that was Kojima being heavily restrained by his team and producers, but they didn't like MGS4, so that was Kojima allowed to do whatever he wanted. I don't understand it.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The characters in G-Reco are perfectly human and understandable. They don't work according to anime logic but act like humans, which I guess is incomprehensible to people here.

Yeah, I remember while the show was airing people on the internet being baffled by the concept of characters lying. Like the time when Raraiya hears that they're on their way to a meeting with space people who would recognize her, she suddenly starts complaining about a headache and wanders off. There were people online going "oh really, she gets a headache right at that moment? Real fuckin' cheap, Tomino!"

Caros posted:

Klim Nick's dad

That was the very last ten minutes of the show, the goal was to give emotional closure to all the characters' arcs. That was important because it showed that Klim Nick had literally violently rejected war. And it was funny.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

It’s hard to take your rambling seriously when all you do is summarize what happens in an angry voice and then say that it’s bad.

Except half the things he says are factually incorrect as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caros posted:

The excuse of 'these are people who have never seen war' only takes the show so far though.

It's silly enough in the first half of the show where the lead character doesn't seem to know what death is, judging by his reaction to willingly murdering his former comrades, but it gets to he absurd as the show ends.

It's not about not knowing what death is, it's about understanding real combat. Something that no-one aside from the Amerians have the cultural background to comprehend in any real fashion.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, I remember while the show was airing people on the internet being baffled by the concept of characters lying. Like the time when Raraiya hears that they're on their way to a meeting with space people who would recognize her, she suddenly starts complaining about a headache and wanders off. There were people online going "oh really, she gets a headache right at that moment? Real fuckin' cheap, Tomino!"

Raraiya's mental illness is also pretty clearly portrayed as getting better over time if you actually watch what she's doing without handwaving it all as "lol, background antics with a Goldfish".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not about not knowing what death is, it's about understanding real combat. Something that no-one aside from the Amerians have the cultural background to comprehend in any real fashion.

Raraiya's mental illness is also pretty clearly portrayed as getting better over time if you actually watch what she's doing without handwaving it all as "lol, background antics with a Goldfish".

They also specifically say quite early on that it's temporary.